Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1direction

Hey guys! I’ve a score of 57 (didn’t do a whole pile of work for the ole gamsat). Was wondering what people think my chances of getting a UCC offer would be? Slightly apprehensive of UL as I’ve just done a couple of years Vet Med in Ucd which started to introduce problem based learning (now this year was their first year at it) and didn’t really feel like I learned as much through that as I would have with lectures. Now I’m obviously going to take a UL offer if it came but ideally would love a UCC offer

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Indecisivegirl

1direction wrote: »
    Hey guys! I’ve a score of 57 (didn’t do a whole pile of work for the ole gamsat). Was wondering what people think my chances of getting a UCC offer would be? Slightly apprehensive of UL as I’ve just done a couple of years Vet Med in Ucd which started to introduce problem based learning (now this year was their first year at it) and didn’t really feel like I learned as much through that as I would have with lectures. Now I’m obviously going to take a UL offer if it came but ideally would love a UCC offer

Well last year the points went from 58 in round zero to 57* in first and second rounds and the years before that it’s been around 58 and 57 in all rounds so you do have a chance! It just depends what the points are from zero round of offers to the second round! You could get in with 57* or if the points are 57 or if they happen to go down to 56! It’s hard to tell what exactly the points will be though but your points have been enough to get into UCC in the past so you do have a chance of getting in this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dubgyal

Hey guys, on a score of 56 on my first sitting. Really hoping this is enough for starting in UL Sept 2019, but slightly worried as I've heard of a good few people on this score. The percentile graph is worldwide so doesn't provide much help.
    Does anyone know if this score is average for Ireland? And any recommendations if I should sign up to the next sitting?

dubgyal wrote: »
    Hey guys, on a score of 56 on my first sitting. Really hoping this is enough for starting in UL Sept 2019, but slightly worried as I've heard of a good few people on this score. The percentile graph is worldwide so doesn't provide much help.
    Does anyone know if this score is average for Ireland? And any recommendations if I should sign up to the next sitting?

I mean it’s never been 56 for UL so I’d say you’ll have a god shout at getting in! Wonder if there’s anyway to find out if the application numbers for grad med is u or down from last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

I mean it’s never been 56 for UL so I’d say you’ll have a god shout at getting in! Wonder if there’s anyway to find out if the application numbers for grad med is u or down from last year?

I think I read somewhere it's slightly down, but it was also slightly down last year but point s went up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

I think I read somewhere it's slightly down, but it was also slightly down last year but point s went up.

This isn't true. Points were down at UL and UCC. The same at UCD and 1 point higher at RCSI. I am comparing 2017 median scores to 2018 median scores.

This isn't true. Points were down at UL and UCC. The same at UCD and 1 point higher at RCSI. I am comparing 2017 median scores to 2018 median scores.

I was basing off round 0 minimum scores.
    UL went up from 55 to 55*
    UCD stayed at 59*
    RCSI stayed at 59*
    UCC dropped from 58* to 58

Apologies. When I first looked at scores I was only interested in UL which I knew had definitely went up. Here it is actually fact checked.

UCD stayed at 59*
    RCSI stayed at 59*

Apologies. When I first looked at scores I was only interested in UL which I knew had definitely went up. Here it is actually fact checked.

That is totally fair and thanks for clarifying.

The median stats tell you whether an applicant is likely to be accepted in all rounds. These are the only stats I am concerned with, personally, as they are more encouraging to a wider group of people.

The round zero stats tell you if an applicant is competitive enough to be accepted in the first go. But at end of the day if you get in, you have a chance to study medicine, even if you were only accepted at the last second.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

UCD stayed at 59*
    RCSI stayed at 59*

Hi actually I think that’s a little inaccurate. Pretty sure UCD went 59* then 58* in second round. Same with RCSI

Hi actually I think that’s a little inaccurate. Pretty sure UCD went 59* then 58* in second round. Same with RCSI

Those figures are round 0 (the first round). I grabbed them off the CAO site, but if you have the final figures for subsequent rounds or know where we can find them that would be great!!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Surfergyal

Hi all, I sat the GAMSAT in March for the first time at got an overall score of 54 (better than I had expected due to minimal prep). I have accepted that I will more than likely be repeating in Sept, but I would be delighted if I was one of the lucky few to be offered UL on random selection, should the cut-off be similar to previous years.

I am wondering if anybody has an idea as to how many applicants on 54 are typically offered places on random selection at UL? ie whether most are offered a place or just a handful. All guidance is appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

@surfergal Can only judge upon last year when it was only a handful.

Hate to type this but worth mentioning:
    you'd have to assume the majority of people who got 54 last year and didn't get an offer will resubmit the CAO with that score.

So there will be everyone who got 54 in your exam, September exam and the previous year. :S

Those figures are round 0 (the first round). I grabbed them off the CAO site, but if you have the final figures for subsequent rounds or know where we can find them that would be great!!!!! :)

I think round 1 and 2 ended up being
    Ucd 58*
    Rcsi 58*
    Ucc 57*
    Ul 55*
    I’d say each round just offered more people on the random selection number a place 🙂

No idea if the scores got lower with third round offers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adreidphysio

Hi there guys,

New to this! You can probably tell what I do at the moment from my username. Thought I'd make an account to mark 30 days until the offers!

The wait is torturous. So I was just wondering how people are taking their mind off the anticipation? What are you thinking about the most in these final few weeks?

I work in St. Vincent's hospital so can answer any questions for any UCD applicants while I'm at it.

Best of luck!

Hi there guys,

New to this! You can probably tell what I do at the moment from my username. Thought I'd make an account to mark 30 days until the offers!

The wait is torturous. So I was just wondering how people are taking their mind off the anticipation? What are you thinking about the most in these final few weeks?

I work in St. Vincent's hospital so can answer any questions for any UCD applicants while I'm at it.

Best of luck!

Hey hey!

Completely feel you on this because I’m finding the wait awful aswell! I’m currently still trying to organise transcripts from ucd as Im only graduating this year so I’m very stressed about the 15th of July deadline! Any one else having issues with ucd?

I guess it’s just about keeping busy to keep the ole mind off it!!
    Good luck to you too!

Hey hey!

Completely feel you on this because I’m finding the wait awful aswell! I’m currently still trying to organise transcripts from ucd as Im only graduating this year so I’m very stressed about the 15th of July deadline! Any one else having issues with ucd?

I guess it’s just about keeping busy to keep the ole mind off it!!
    Good luck to you too!

Oh wait. I thought we only had to send those forms to the CAO? Were we meant to send them to the colleges as well? :o What is the issue with UCD?

I only sent my form yesterday and I graduated 2 years ago so don't feel bad, yours is probably more difficult to organise given that you haven't actually graduated/may not have all results as of yet. It's just your results and proof of 2.I/1.I degree that you send right? Or have I made a terrible mistake?????

I sent official transcripts of my results, not originals as I don't have originals, my results each year were online and I never printed them. I swear if I get rejected cause I sent in the wrong paperwork and not GAMSAT I might cry :P

Oh wait. I thought we only had to send those forms to the CAO? Were we meant to send them to the colleges as well? :o What is the issue with UCD?

I only sent my form yesterday and I graduated 2 years ago so don't feel bad, yours is probably more difficult to organise given that you haven't actually graduated/may not have all results as of yet. It's just your results and proof of 2.I/1.I degree that you send right? Or have I made a terrible mistake?????

I sent official transcripts of my results, not originals as I don't have originals, my results each year were online and I never printed them. I swear if I get rejected cause I sent in the wrong paperwork and not GAMSAT I might cry :P

Oh no, you’re right about just sending the forms to cao!

My problem with UCD is to do with the fact that the degree I’m in is actually a five year degree but I want to graduate early (3 years in) so I have to get it all approved so that my transcripts say that I am actually graduating!!

I’m not sure what actual graduates have to send but I know if you’re graduating this year that you need to send them transcripts and a conferring date :)

I reckon I’m not going to get my transcripts till Monday so I’ll probably be driving up to CAO (think it’s in Galway) to make sure it makes the deadline which is a pain in the arse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tooms1234

Hi ya,

Last year when I applied I was almost rejected because of inadequate documentation. I sent transcripts instead of original copies. NUI Galway were very helpful to me by issuing my original copies as quick as possible once I found out there was an issue. I received the original copies just in time for my new deadline given to me by the CAO.
    Here is what they sent me last year.

"Dear Applicant,

This is an automated e-mail generated as a result of the e-mail address provided in your 2018 CAO application.

Thank you for your application to study Graduate Medicine. The institutions concerned have collectively reviewed your application and based on the documentation received as of July 15th 2018, you have been deemed ineligible to compete for the following reason:

- Inadequate documentation supplied (all candidates were required to submit original academic transcripts for all years of their first NFQ Level 8 primary degree, detailing final degree classification)

If you have a query with respect to what documentation is outstanding, you should contact one of the Admissions Offices to which you have applied.

If you wish to appeal this decision, you must do so by writing to CAO, outlining your appeal and presenting your outstanding supporting documents.

All documentation pertaining to your appeal must be received at CAO no later than Thursday July 26th, 2018 at 5.15 p.m. You should write 'Graduate Medicine Appeal' at the top of the envelope.

Please note that no appeals will be considered after July 26th, 5:15 p.m."

So I advise you to call the CAO tomorrow to confirm if your transcripts are adequate because they weren't for me. Hope this helps and good luck with your application.

Tooms1234 wrote: »
    Hi ya,

Last year when I applied I was almost rejected because of inadequate documentation. I sent transcripts instead of original copies. NUI Galway were very helpful to me by issuing my original copies as quick as possible once I found out there was an issue. I received the original copies just in time for my new deadline given to me by the CAO.

"Dear Applicant,

This is an automated e-mail generated as a result of the e-mail address provided in your 2018 CAO application.

Thank you for your application to study Graduate Medicine. The institutions concerned have collectively reviewed your application and based on the documentation received as of July 15th 2018, you have been deemed ineligible to compete for the following reason:

- Inadequate documentation supplied (all candidates were required to submit original academic transcripts for all years of their first NFQ Level 8 primary degree, detailing final degree classification)

If you have a query with respect to what documentation is outstanding, you should contact one of the Admissions Offices to which you have applied.

If you wish to appeal this decision, you must do so by writing to CAO, outlining your appeal and presenting your outstanding supporting documents.

All documentation pertaining to your appeal must be received at CAO no later than Thursday July 26th, 2018 at 5.15 p.m. You should write 'Graduate Medicine Appeal' at the top of the envelope.

So I advise you to call the CAO tomorrow to confirm if your transcripts are adequate because they weren't for me. Hope this helps and good luck with your application.

Thanks for joining/responding Tooms :eek:

Seeing as NUIG is also my alma mater :P can I ask what documentation did NUIG send on? I sent them an email originally where I copied and pasted the CAO email, and they explained there was no digitary form available and to log a transcript request with SID (which I did) but it was official transcripts-I take it something else is needed instead? What did you send as your "original transcripts" if you dont mind me asking? And I will definitely be ringing CAO tomorrow anyways :o :P

On a side note to 1direction, I actually posted my transcripts, from the post office in Galway city, i.e across the road from the CAO Office :P I was afraid I'd somehow mess it up and it would end up being rejected or seen as junk mail or something in case it didnt come through with the rest of their mail :P A little paranoid about the wrong thing it appears.

How are you finding the course so far Toots? Where are you studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tooms1234

Thanks for joining/responding Tooms :eek:

Seeing as NUIG is also my alma mater :P can I ask what documentation did NUIG send on? I sent them an email originally where I copied and pasted the CAO email, and they explained there was no digitary form available and to log a transcript request with SID (which I did) but it was official transcripts-I take it something else is needed instead? What did you send as your "original transcripts" if you dont mind me asking? And I will definitely be ringing CAO tomorrow anyways :o :P

On a side note to 1direction, I actually posted my transcripts, from the post office in Galway city, i.e across the road from the CAO Office :P I was afraid I'd somehow mess it up and it would end up being rejected or seen as junk mail or something in case it didnt come through with the rest of their mail :P A little paranoid about the wrong thing it appears.

How are you finding the course so far Toots? Where are you studying?

Ah on reading your post again I understand that you received hardcopies from NUIG which is fine. Originally I only sent scanned versions and this was the problem for the CAO. I think you should be ok then, sorry for any unnecessary panic.

• Advertisement

Ah on reading your post again I understand that you received hardcopies from NUIG which is fine. Originally I only sent scanned versions and this was the problem for the CAO. I think you should be ok then, sorry for any unnecessary panic.

Thanks Tooms! :) No real panic at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Indecisivegirl

When I applied last year, instead of sending original transcripts I just wrote a sort of letter that gave them the code needed to access my electronic transcripts and also the website to go to to see the transcripts and since it’s like secure (because you need a code and it’s on the official website) it works out! I did send printed out transcripts too but I don’t think they took those into account since they weren’t like originals but the access to electronic ones was perfectly fine! Just incase anyone wants an alternative way other than having to pay for original transcripts from your college! :)

Hi ya,

"Dear Applicant,

Do you reckon that everyone who doesn’t have the right documents/ don’t submit documents get this opportunity to appeal the decision??

Currently have major issues getting transcripts from Ucd as they’ve told me they’re having some system issue or something with my transcripts. They seem to think it might be resolved early this week but I’ve low expectations because I’ve been after these transcripts for awhile now so was kind of wondering if it was possible to not submit and then just appeal the decision once I have the documents

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adreidphysio

On the subject of documents, do Irish applicants who have lived and schooled in Ireland their whole life have to submit proof of their EU status? It's recorded that all my secondary school and university years were in Ireland on my CAO application, but I'm just paranoid in case they need something more than that. Anybody know any different or am I just being paranoid?

I didn't do this last year so your'e grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Medico008

Does anyone have any idea when UL starts the academic year?

Hey yeah! Incoming 1st years have orientation week stating Monday the 2nd of September (Last year we didn't have anything on the Monday so you will likely be starting on the 3rd of September).

Y1 Classes start Sept 9th.

Is there any way of knowing if cao received what you sent in?

Is there any way of knowing if cao received what you sent in?

You email or call them.

In the past two weeks I couldn't get through on the phone and via email it just is a copy paste response to contact next week or at the end of the week. They say things are being scanned at the moment and individual documents cannot be traced.

The deadline is soon to submit documents so not sure what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Registered post would be the best option to confirm they received your goods

Advertisement