Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Berks

Ah! seems you are as confused as me so.

Well thats the point, everyone who has the means to access over the air signals..have to pay. Or at least thats my understanding.

My problems lies with the fact that UPC is all wired and ready to go in my flat, if I like it or not. That leads me to believe I have the means to easily access TV stations if I wanted which could be the reason I need a TV license even if I will never use this "means"...or have a TV.

Iv seen in other threads relating to TV aerials on roofs that because its there it means the house has access to recieve TV and therefore needs a license.

Any verdicts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Berks wrote: »
    Ah! seems you are as confused as me so.

Well thats the point, everyone who has the means to access over the air signals..have to pay. Or at least thats my understanding.

My problems lies with the fact that UPC is all wired and ready to go in my flat, if I like it or not. That leads me to believe I have the means to easily access TV stations if I wanted which could be the reason I need a TV license even if I will never use this "means"...or have a TV.

Iv seen in other threads relating to TV aerials on roofs that because its there it means the house has access to recieve TV and therefore needs a license.

Any verdicts?
    UPC bring broadband through that cable too so it's not tv specific. You can call UPC to come remove the cabling if you think it'll be a problem.

Removing the cabling would be a landlord type issue I would think?
    Also I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with being "TV specific", the radio spectrum isnt specific to TV as radio and mobile phones work off it too.

Seems this is a bigger question that I had thought *confused smiley*

Removing the cabling would be a landlord type issue I would think?
    Also I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with being "TV specific", the radio spectrum isnt specific to TV as radio and mobile phones work off it too.

Seems this is a bigger question that I had thought *confused smiley*
    I would have thought the inspectors look for tvs, vcr, tv card for pcs etc. things that receive the signal and process it rather than the medium it comes in on.

If you have a legitimate and provable reason for having an aerial/dish on the roof that isn't tv related, then you surely aren't liable for it.

EDIT: I mentioned the broadband because if you call UPC today to install just the broadband, it would be the same cabling as if you just ordered the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

EDIT: I mentioned the broadband because if you call UPC today to install just the broadband, it would be the same cabling as if you just ordered the tv.

And you possible have access to their analogue service, even if they don't mention it.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    And you possible have access to their analogue service, even if they don't mention it.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html
    (From Above)
    Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence.

This would imply that it's just the device receiving the signal that is eligible for the license - not the media (aerial, cable).

This would imply that it's just the device receiving the signal that is eligible for the license - not the media (aerial, cable).

Thought that.

(From Above)
    Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence.

Right so you figure without the decoder box connected from this UPC box and into a TV I shouldnt be obliged to pay a license? I like the sounds of that

Right so you figure without the decoder box connected from this UPC box and into a TV I shouldnt be obliged to pay a license? I like the sounds of that
    You also can't have a TV in the house.
    I have a 40" TV but it's only used as a monitor so technically I should be paying

You also can't have a TV in the house.
    I have a 40" TV but it's only used as a monitor so technically I should be paying

The building is divided into flats so I think im ok there.

Also thank you for that confession
    GOT YOU NOW

ah no not really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I have a 32 inch tv that I use as a monitor. If I got a dedicated monitor (no tuner) wouldn't that mean I am exempt then from having a licence? Could I just remove the tuner from the TV? I only use the DVI input on the TV. We only watch DVDs played back from a laptop into the TV.

I have a 32 inch tv that I use as a monitor. If I got a dedicated monitor (no tuner) wouldn't that mean I am exempt then from having a licence? Could I just remove the tuner from the TV? I only use the DVI input on the TV. We only watch DVDs played back from a laptop into the TV.

As far as my knowledge spans no license is required for a computer monitor. A license is required however for any device with a TV tuner. If the tuner is removed or damaged a license is still required as it is deemed " repairable ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

(From Above)

Actually that's not accurate . The act states " capable of receiving
    and exhibiting television broadcasting services
    "
    Receiving a signal in itself does not require a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Statute law > citizens "information" websites
    If the tuner is removed or damaged a license is still required as it is deemed " repairable ".

This doesnt make sense.

Going by that logic even removing the entire TV set doesnt exempt one from needing a licence since it could be repalced.
    If you have a legitimate and provable reason for having an aerial/dish on the roof that isn't tv related, then you surely aren't liable for it.

Isint the onus to prove on them ?

Would a licence inspector know the difference between
    A TV aerial and an FM (or 145/432 MHz Ham) radio yagi ?
    A Satellite TV dish and a satellite broadband dish ?
    An MMDS aerial and a WiFi/broadband antenna ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mike 1972 wrote: »

This doesnt make sense.

Going by that logic even removing the entire TV set doesnt exempt one from needing a licence since it could be repalced.

The law as written is what counts, not your interpretation based on common sense. Because of changes in technology, the definition of what constitutes a TV has been broadened. I would think that the authorities are close to charging everyone for TV, or digital media. Over 90% of homes have a liability for a TV licence, probably closer to 98%, but I do not have the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭oppiuy

We are tenants in a house and we used to get those " to the occupier" letters which we ignored. An inspector came one day and took one of the girls names in the house. A week letter she recieved a warning stating she needed to obtain a Tv licence, followed a few weeks later with a final warning or court proceedings would start.
    She sent a letter asking for a copy of the contract she had signed, plus a few more details which i cant remember right now and we havent heard a thing from them in over 3 months. Her Boyfriend says that the Tv licence is only a by law and that contracts for this need to be signed and stuff. He says he and all his friends have done this and not paid a TV licence for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

This doesnt make sense.

Aerials don't come into it;)

It's being ignored but I've highlighted twice already what the law states.

If you don't have a TV, then you don't have a equipment capable of exhibiting pictures. Simple.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Aerials don't come into it;)

It's being ignored but I've highlighted twice already what the law states.

If you don't have a TV, then you don't have a equipment capable of exhibiting pictures. Simple.

Kind of like Snotser on the Den years ago describing how he couldn't afford the TV but he sets his VCR to record the TV, so when he is able to afford a TV he can watch back his recording!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

If I have a TV licence expired last month for my present addresbut am planning on moving to a house that already has a licence. What's happens then. Do I let an post know of my address change. Do I need to keep getting a licence or will the one in the new house cover me. Is this possible?

The law as written is what counts, not your interpretation based on common sense. .
    Er hence the first line of my previous post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭celt262

Do i have to pay for my tv licence now that i am unemployed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

celt262 wrote: »
    Do i have to pay for my tv licence now that i am unemployed?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Delaine

Hey guys, a TV Licence inspector recently called to my house about paying for the licence. He asked if I had a TV set, I told him I did indeed, he instructed me on how to go about paying and told me to get around to it sometime in the coming month. Everything was going smoothly thus far, no issues.

Now, unfortunately, not more than a couple of weeks after his visit, our TV broke down. We're in rented accommodation with a lease expiring this coming December, so we decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle of getting our landlord to replace the damn thing, so we're just getting rid of it.

So as you can probably surmise, my question is...can I take back my "yes I have a TV" answer after the fact? They've written to me now looking for payment, and it just seems like I have managed to find myself in the awkward position of having to pay 160 quid for something I don't actually have anymore.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Will they just assume I'm chancing my arm/trying to get away with not paying? Its just typical this would happen after he called and not before!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Delaine wrote: »
    Hey guys, a TV Licence inspector recently called to my house about paying for the licence. He asked if I had a TV set, I told him I did indeed, he instructed me on how to go about paying and told me to get around to it sometime in the coming month. Everything was going smoothly thus far, no issues.

Now, unfortunately, not more than a couple of weeks after his visit, our TV broke down. We're in rented accommodation with a lease expiring this coming December, so we decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle of getting our landlord to replace the damn thing, so we're just getting rid of it.

So as you can probably surmise, my question is...can I take back my "yes I have a TV" answer after the fact? They've written to me now looking for payment, and it just seems like I have managed to find myself in the awkward position of having to pay 160 quid for something I don't actually have anymore.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Will they just assume I'm chancing my arm/trying to get away with not paying? Its just typical this would happen after he called and not before!

everyone in ireland should write to their TD's and get the government to privatise rte and abolish the tv licence fee and put rte with the bbc

RTE has failed its public service remit

Can anyone name ten great home grown programmes on rtetv in the last 50 years?
    talk shows do not count as they are mostly plugging items
    Or review programmes do not count

I can name a few home grown rtetv programmes:
    1. Ireland a television history
    2. The States of fear
    3. Behind the wall
    4. Insurrection- 8 part docudrama about the 1916 rising

ftakeith wrote: »
    everyone in ireland should write to their TD's and get the government to privatise rte and abolish the tv licence fee and put rte with the bbc

RTE has failed its public service remit

Can anyone name ten great home grown programmes on rtetv in the last 50 years?
    talk shows do not count as they are mostly plugging items
    Or review programmes do not count

I can name a few home grown rtetv programmes:
    1. Ireland a television history
    2. The States of fear
    3. Behind the wall
    4. Insurrection- 8 part docudrama about the 1916 rising

And become a back water of the BBC like BBC Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

1. Paths to Freedom
    2. Batchelor's Walk
    3. Pure Mule
    4. The Den
    5. Reeling in the Years
    6. Strumpet City
    7. The Late Late Show with Gay Byrne (I include as Chats Show once weren't about plugging your latest book)
    8. Would You Believe
    9. Prime Time Investigates
    10. Property Crash

+ Your programmes and everyone else.

Again BBC has a higher Licence Fee and more licence fee payers, while being highly commercial all at the same time. During most of the last 50 years RTÉ has had the lowest price for a TV licence (Thanks to Ray Burke and a few back handers).

TV in itself has got worse in the last 10 years due to TV Commissioning focusing everything on Reality TV. It's a history show but its put 10 people in the past!

You planning to abolish the UK TV licence as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

€160 to pay for these guys salaries is an absolute joke.

Here are the top 10 earners:
    1) Pat Kenny: €849,139
    2) Gerry Ryan: €558,990
    3) Marian Finucane: €455,190
    4) Joe Duffy: €367,804
    5) Ryan Tubridy: €346,667
    6) Derek Mooney: €242,408
    7) Marty Whelan!: €229,056
    8 ) Miriam O’Callaghan: €221,383
    9) John Kelly: €204,675
    10) Bryan Dobson: €193,610

It takes 5307 people to pay their tv license for Pat Kenny to get his massive salary.

The majority(84%) of the TV license fee went to RTE in 2008(http://www.rte.ie/about/licence.html).

I have no problem paying the other 16% to help the little guys out but I'm not happy paying €150 for a couple of poxy channels that I could do without.

Why aren't we given the choice. People who want to watch RTE can pay the 84% and people who don't, don't. Seems fair to me.

Make it pay per view and see how well it does.

Unlike the BBC, RTE also make money from advertising which is how most channels survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

cormicar wrote: »

I.

What year is that list from?

Also you cannot be seriously comparing RTÉ to the BBC. RTÉ aren't the only PSB that get money from a licence fee and advertising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Original thread for this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Seriously?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

PaulieC wrote: »
    Seriously?? :rolleyes:

Sorry - it may be a few years old(I think it's from 2008) but just checked Pat Kenny's salary and it's €950,976 at the moment. I'd say the other salaries have similarly increased apart from Gerry Ryan's of course.

RTE get 84% of the license fee which is a massive share in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Sorry - it may be a few years old(I think it's from 2008) but just checked Pat Kenny's salary and it's €950,976 at the moment.

Sorry but that's innaccurate as Kenny did see a fair chunk of his salary disappear over the last couple of years. He managed to save face to a certain extent as he left the Late Late and that could be reconciled with a reduction in salary. Its still a massive sum, reportedly around e650,000, and if he thought any other station/channel here or in the UK could match or beat that amount then he is very mistaken!

Regarding Tubridy, he has seen a rise in his pay packet as new host of the Late Late - somewhere in the region of e550,000. Again a massive sum he'll likely see a 10% cut to take it under the half a million.

As for Marian Finucane, maybe someone else could explain how she earns that amount of money for two shows a week, because frankly I don't have a clue! Even if she prepared the shows during the week in RTE it doesn't warrant that salary for the amount of on-air time. I don't know.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This forum is for discussing TV shows, so I'm moving this to the Broadcasting forum.

Sorry - it may be a few years old(I think it's from 2008) but just checked Pat Kenny's salary and it's €950,976 at the moment. I'd say the other salaries have similarly increased apart from Gerry Ryan's of course.

Can you provide a source for that please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jms007

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if RTE pays sky to be on their Satellite system or does Sky pay RTE to have them on their sky system? If Sky does pay RTE and we pay sky a subscription/month then surely we shouldn't be paying seperately for the TV license fee also of 160 Euro?

Thanks!

Sky pays for RTÉ to be on the Sky platform but they don't actually pay RTÉ. Sky pays for EPG, encryption etc.

Even if Sky were paying RTÉ it wouldn't matter as it is a television licence entitles you to own a television, not to receive RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged with the general licence fee thread.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Sky pays for RTÉ to be on the Sky platform but they don't actually pay RTÉ. Sky pays for EPG, encryption etc.

Even if Sky were paying RTÉ it wouldn't matter as it is a television licence entitles you to own a television, not to receive RTÉ

Sky do not pay RTÉ, TV3 or TG4 to be on Sky. Sky customers pay a massive subscription and Sky agree to provide RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 to be on the Sky platform. Sky on the other hand pay for most other channels to be on their Irish platform. I assume they also pay BBC, ITV and Channel 4 to let those channels on their UK EPG.

Even indirectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume they also pay BBC, ITV and Channel 4 to let those channels on their UK EPG.

The UK channels pay Sky to get onto the UK EPG.

Apogee wrote: »
    The UK channels pay Sky to get onto the UK EPG.

Indeed - neither the BBC nor ITV is part of the Sky Digital package in the UK and so the organisations have to pay for an EPG listing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

i got a reminder titled 'legal notice' whats the next step. anybody been through this before. Havent paid yet as might be moving house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Treenieweenie

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody knows how I can report someone for not having a TV licence. While it may seem mean to some of you, these people truly deserve it.

These were my former housemates who bullied me out of the house and then once I left, forced me to pay all of the ESB bill because it had been in my name. I just want to seek some revenge for the costs I had to pay which has left me to live on peanuts for the month and now I've gotten an illness due to poor diet because I have to live on whatever is in my cupboard, leaving me with medical/prescription bills also.

I know they don't have a licence so a fine for them would be good. They shouldn't get away with what they have don to me.

Any advice would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

So you were happy not paying the license when you lived with your housemates... I think it might be more appropriate to take a case against them in the small claims court of something to get them to pay their portion of the ESB bill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Treenieweenie

Well the TV didn't belong to me and I only lived with them for a couple of months. Plus I didn't even watch it because of the atmosphere so why would I pay anything? I shall look into the small claims court but I'm guessing that it would be an extra expense on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't use the SCC against a person or persons, only a business.

I suspect if you phone An Post TVL they'll be able to handle the shopping. 1890 228528.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Grassing on someone and at the same time swelling Ryan Tubridys wallet.
    Yes indeed, abundant karma is winging its way to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Does anybody know how the TV license requirement will be affected by the switch to digital? Will one still have to pay for a TV with an analog tuner once the analogue television signals will stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. No change, Your Analogue only TV will need a licence.
    Because €40 to €80 buys a box to convert your TV you can easily hide.

One licence covers any number of TVs per dwelling. A Bed sit with no kitchen is not a separate dwelling. A Bedsit with a kitchen is a separate dwelling.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794011

Merged. I am seriously going to start just closing threads if people keep ignoring what is the very first thread at the top of the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

qwertz wrote: »
    Does anybody know how the TV license requirement will be affected by the switch to digital? Will one still have to pay for a TV with an analog tuner once the analogue television signals will stop?

From the Saorview FAQ
    Is a Television Licence required if I change to SAORVIEW?

Yes a television licence is still required. Every household, business or institution that has a television set, regardless of television service – free or Pay TV – must have an up to date TV licence.

http://www.saorview.ie/help/faqs/

qwertz wrote: »
    Will one still have to pay for a TV with an analog tuner once the analogue television signals will stop?

Unless the law is changed yes you will

Stupid as it sounds you legally should have a licence for a 405 line only TV as it is still capable of recieving 405 line broadcasts.

The fact that no such broadcasts have been made since 1985 is completly besides the point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement