Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The lad has it sussed. The wisdom of youth:pac:

I dont know, the food to alcohol ratio in his supplies seems to be off. 10 packets of instant noodles and a bit of fruit to outlast a plague? Hmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

5 citites in China now in lockdown (or with no public transport available): Huanggang, Ezhou, Zhijiang, Qianjiang and Wuhan.

Hubei Province (where Wuhan is) has alone reported 444 cases of coronavirus infections. All 17 deaths were reported from the province.
    Among the confirmed cases, 399 patients are receiving treatment in hospitals, with 71 in severe condition and 24 in critical condition.

Confirmed cases have also been reported from several regions including Xinjiang and Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
    Also US, Japan, S.Korea, Thailand, Singapore* and Vietnam* and S'Arabia* (Indian Nurse).
    *new.

All major international airports now with screening in place. CDC issues Level 3 travel alert.
    Many 'suspected' or ''under observation' cases (but none confirmed, until test results are returned) includes: UK, Qubec, Boston

The World Health Organization is reconvening an emergency meeting in Geneva on NOW:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIgiLN43M_Q&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The authorities are thankfully being meticulously careful. It is an unknown quantity as it is mutating.

So not a fuss about nothing

They are doing right and not overemphasising etc. No panic. it is reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What does Greta think?

WHO decides it's still 'too early' to call it an emergency as of 23 Jan 1800hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

God help us.

I can imagine poor Chinese lads unable to use There, Their, or They're correctly.

Might help if you have a ‘way’ about you. Like that fella from Instinct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What does Greta think?

How dare you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If it ever got here, with our omnishambles HSE, we're screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I believe coronavirus drama is a complete over reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I believe coronavirus drama is a complete over reaction.

Until a lot of people die, then it's the gubbmint done nuttin, they don't care about d'ordinary man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Should I ring Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Time to start filling up those empty hand sanitizer pumps. Every doctors office and school I’ve been in in the past few months have been empty. For some reason my doc keeps liquid soap in the reception.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

As someone who caught swine flu when it first came out it was awful. Never had anything like it, so corona can feck right off. I was young, fit and healthy, would hate if someone sick gets this one if it’s on a par.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

it may be on the island already, and the NHS in the north isn't in the best of health these days either...

https://twitter.com/AmandaFBelfast/status/1220398436824047616

I’m moving to Madagascar. Stena line go there, I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Crowds trying to escape the lockdown.

It’s getting pretty hairy over there.

wwz_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Time to start filling up those empty hand sanitizer pumps. Every doctors office and school I’ve been in in the past few months have been empty. For some reason my doc keeps liquid soap in the reception.

Some expert said today hands should be washed every 15 - 20 mins depending on occupation and use gallons of hand gels ,

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

wwz_1.jpg

Those NI barriers need to go back up.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

wwz_1.jpg

Did they open a new Donut shop in North Dublin?

Ipso wrote: »
    Did they open a new Donut shop in North Dublin?

Kids eat free in Eddie rockers tomorrow !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its hardly apocalyptic, only 6 people died out of hundreds that caught the virus. More people die every year from the flu.

Gatling wrote: »
    Some expert said today hands should be washed every 15 - 20 mins depending on occupation and use gallons of hand gels ,

I work in 2 schools and both don’t have any available. It is flu season. I just don’t get it.

pc7 wrote: »
    As someone who caught swine flu when it first came out it was awful. Never had anything like it, so corona can feck right off. I was young, fit and healthy, would hate if someone sick gets this one if it’s on a par.

Swine flu had the same symptoms as our common Influenza

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Graces7 wrote: »
    The authorities are thankfully being meticulously careful. It is an unknown quantity as it is mutating.

So not a fuss about nothing

They are doing right and not overemphasising etc. No panic. it is reassuring.

I'm sure they have the essential oils at the ready.

Its hardly apocalyptic, only 6 people died out of hundreds that caught the virus. More people die every year from the flu.

18 have died but I agree.

China aren't exactly known for telling the truth ,the death toll could be a lot higher and we would never know ,the way they are carrying on now suggests they are in panic mode

Gatling wrote: »
    China aren't exactly known for telling the truth ,the death toll could be a lot higher and we would never know ,the way they are carrying on now suggests they are in panic mode

And instead of 600 infections there could be 60’000 infections with a small % of deaths

I'm sure they have the essential oils at the ready.

And tell us that there’s too much damp or heat and suggest tiger langer soup as a remedy.

A possible 6th city in China has been put on lockdown (Lichuan).
    With incubation period of 5days (or longer), suspect cases there will naturally increase into the weekend, but at least they seem to be doing the right thing in China at the moment.

Too early to say how severe it will be, but here is some basic math from 'Hubei Province' of the 444 confirmed cases:
    399 patients are receiving treatment in hospitals, 71 in severe condition, 24 in critical condition, 17 deaths (those were likely already with pre-existing health conditions or weakened immunity e.g. diabetes).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Big if on how severe this could get as a lot of unknowns at the minute.

But I shudder at the thought of it spreading here with the absolute state that our hospitals are currently in with it being flu season and hundreds of people on trolleys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement