Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

throwing cigarette butts out the car window

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You can get the reg and report it to the litter warden. They will get a fine. Even better if you have a dash cam. You might have to go to court if they dispute it.

I have always been tempted to do it myself. Never have though.

I don't think I've ever seen one of them. Do they go outside?

Seriously cushy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not really. Just an email or phone call with the date and reg.
    I reported illegal dumping dozens of times. Once they find anything that can identify the dumper. Fine will be issued. Dash cam might be enough.

Once I was asked to go to court. I said no. As they where settled travelers that lived nearby. It’s only if they dispute it.

An email or phone call saying how someone threw a smoke out of a car isn't going to do anything tho. Even with the date and reg. You have to prove it. As there would be nothing stopping people reporting ttheir neighbour they hate saying they did the same when it was all lies. to be honest, would'nt even bother doing that for a smoke. seems petty. Thousands of smokes are gonna get thrown on the ground in ireland today.

But you're talking about litter wardens opening up rubbish to check for personal papers? (eg, electricity bill etc) Like someone dumping their black bin you mean. Yeah wardens do that.

It's gas, if one was so scummy enough, you could take the bags (out of the black bin) of someone you hate and dump them somewhere nearby :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Who gives a crap.fags break down easily. Especially in Irish weather. No one wants their car stinking of stale cigerrettes so you're not going to leave them in the ashtray.

People have little to be worrying about if they're upset by a few fag buts which dissappear after a few weeks of rain.

None of this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Personally i think its a very dirty thing to do. My friend I allowed ONCE to smoke in the car as she couldnt wait for 5 minutes to have a smoke nearing the end of said ciggy just threw the smouldering butt out the window. I nearly died and i had an ashtray in the car built in (old car) ! We must of looked like a right pair of Howayas to the Merc behind us:o
    PS I didnt realise they had stopped putting ash trays in cars ! Wow thats cool !:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

An email or phone call saying how someone threw a smoke out of a car isn't going to do anything tho. Even with the date and reg. You have to prove it. As there would be nothing stopping people reporting ttheir neighbour they hate saying they did the same when it was all lies. to be honest, would'nt even bother doing that for a smoke. seems petty. Thousands of smokes are gonna get thrown on the ground in ireland today.

It’s still littering and it can be reported. It’s open for abuse alright. But you can do it.

“Petty”
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/littering-cigarette-butts-4721025-Jul2019/%3famp=1

Over half of litter is “smokes”
    All littering is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Anyone who smokes in public or in their car should be shot with balls of their own shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

There was a caller on Joe Duffy a few years ago I remember, he was livid because he was fined in America for throwing a butt out of a car window. A police helicopter spotted him and radioed a patrol car.
    He really felt he was wronged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

earlytobed wrote: »
    There was a caller on Joe Duffy a few years ago I remember, he was livid because he was fined in America for throwing a butt out of a car window. A police helicopter spotted him and radioed a patrol car.
    He really felt he was wronged!

:D Wtf was Joe going to do about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yes, the magic Elves come out at nighttime and clean up everything that's thrown out of a car window.

Sorry but I don’t believe that for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sorry but I don’t believe that for a second.

We cleaned our road there before Christmas.9 black bags of rubbish we took off it.a rural road.mostly coffee cups and bottles and cans.also cigarette boxes.
    3 weeks later the same road is in pure sh1te again.
    Dirty dirty fcukin scum that are driving the roads.

It’s still littering and it can be reported. It’s open for abuse alright. But you can do it.

“Petty”
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/littering-cigarette-butts-4721025-Jul2019/%3famp=1

Over half of litter is “smokes”
    All littering is disgusting.

Yes. It is petty. You've already established how you like to report so I know you will take it as a personal attack. But it is petty.

Love the way you said how you "didnt go to court" cause it was some traveller family. Ie, you like to report from a distance and won't be caught out. Another example, you probably wouldn't say boo to someone on the street who dumped his butt but gladly get someones reg and hang them behind their back.

Yes. It is petty and you are petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yes. It is petty. You've already established how you like to report so I know you will take it as a personal attack. But it is petty.

Love the way you said how you "didnt go to court" cause it was some traveller family. Ie, you like to report from a distance and won't be caught out. Another example, you probably wouldn't say boo to someone on the street who dumped his butt but gladly get someones reg and hang them behind their back.

Yes. It is petty and you are petty.

Why should I a allow someone to dump in my Apartment or on the roads? It costs me money as I pay maintenance.

For the record. I have pulled up Men, Women and teenagers for littering. I will continue to do it.

Facing off against travellers that live beside on my road in court. Personally I don't see it as safe.

It's your opinion that I am petty. Like my opinion that littering including throwing butts out the windows is scumbag behaviour. Butts are over half of all littering.

Have you ever done it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

lertsnim wrote: »
    Stub it out on the car floor. Why should everyone else have to get their dirty fag butt.

So your saying put a lit cigarette out on flammable carpet? Now that sounds safe......

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Just as bad as motorists are the bus passengers waiting in the queue to get their last drag and then throw the butt out as they step on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Anyone who smokes in public or in their car should be shot with balls of their own shyte.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Just as bad as motorists are the bus passengers waiting in the queue to get their last drag and then throw the butt out as they step on.

Or spitting at a bus stop while waiting for a bus.fcukin disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Kimbot wrote: »
    Why?

Probably because if they drop the lit cigarette on themselves they could easily
    cause an accident. In that respect they've more of a potential for accidents than phone use,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A family member used to hop out of his car, if he saw a butt being dumped at traffic lights, pick up the butt, throw it back in on the driver's lap, get back to his car, slap on the central locking and drive off.
    Who gives a crap.fags break down easily. Especially in Irish weather. No one wants their car stinking of stale cigerrettes so you're not going to leave them in the ashtray.

People have little to be worrying about if they're upset by a few fag buts which dissappear after a few weeks of rain.

It takes 10-15 years for the plastic filter to biodegrade. If you don't want your car stinking of cigarettes, don't smoke in it. If you're going to smoke in it, bring an ashtray designed for cars.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen one of them. Do they go outside?

Seriously cushy number.

How would you know if you've seen one or not?

• Advertisement

Probably because if they drop the lit cigarette on themselves they could easily
    cause an accident. In that respect they've more of a potential for accidents than phone use,

If you drop a hot coffee/tea etc the same could happen so why not shoot coffee/tea drinkers will balls of their own crap too? Why only smokers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I see no issue with flicking a smoke out the car window, or flicking a cigarette anywhere for that matter. It really isn't a big deal.

People who get upset over it are the original snowflakes, and by that I mean they're only outraged because they can be, not because they're genuinely disgusted with the act itself. They'll tell you that they are disgusted, but really it's a case of complaining just to complain.

They might feign concern about the environment or something to validate the grievance but, as I said, it's feigned and without merit. I can understand with rubbish, because it makes the place - whatever place - a bit unsightly. An empty bottle of coke isn't going to perish within hours in the same way that a cigarette butt would and does.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I see no issue with flicking a smoke out the car window, or flicking a cigarette anywhere for that matter. It really isn't a big deal.

People who get upset over it are the original snowflakes, and by that I mean they're only outraged because they can be, not because they're genuinely disgusted with the act itself. They'll tell you that they are disgusted, but really it's a case of complaining just to complain.

I’m not feigning anything. I think you’re a f*cking knack if you do this. What if everyone adopted this attitude to everything. Where do you draw the line? Chewing gum? Crisp bag? Just stop being a scruffy dirt bird. Teach your kids not be either while you’re at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Hammer89 wrote: »

They might feign concern about the environment or something to validate the grievance but, as I said, it's feigned and without merit. I can understand with rubbish, because it makes the place - whatever place - a bit unsightly. An empty bottle of coke isn't going to perish within hours in the same way that a cigarette butt would and does.

And here we have the second most ignorant comment I've seen in a while.

I’m not feigning anything. I think you’re a f*cking knack if you do this.

I know you think this but it's probably worth exploring why you think this. And it's probably because it was drilled into you as a youngster that you must not throw anything away in public. Listen, my dad told me the capital of the Netherlands was the Hague when I was little and I believed him up until the day that I adamantly insisted that Amsterdam wasn't the capital, which of course it is. Point is, parents aren't always right. I don't have children but when I do I'll tell them to throw their cigarette butts where they like - if they smoke, which I wouldn't want - and I'd encourage them to challenge societal rules that don't make much sense, like this one.

Funny, most people would hope their kids won’t smoke yet you’d be there encouraging them to be mini scrotes and stick it to “the man”. Sad.

Funny, most people would hope their kids won’t smoke yet you’d be there encouraging them to be mini scrotes and stick it to “the man”. Sad.

So you can't articulate why somebody's a knacker if they throw a cigarette butt away in public? Of course you can't because it isn't true. It's something you were probably raised to believe and never questioned it. Maybe this is your Amsterdam/The Hague moment.

Why should I a allow someone to dump in my Apartment or on the roads? It costs me money as I pay maintenance.

For the record. I have pulled up Men, Women and teenagers for littering. I will continue to do it.

Facing off against travellers that live beside on my road in court. Personally I don't see it as safe.

It's your opinion that I am petty. Like my opinion that littering including throwing butts out the windows is scumbag behaviour. Butts are over half of all littering.

Have you ever done it?

you havent your balls pulled people up over it :pac:

and no, i haven't. Wouldnt mind actually doing it to see the look on your face tho lol. All you would do is hit me with a dirty look. Unless you see my reg.

Out of the many many wrong things that happens in this world on a daily basis throwing a butt away is the least of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

PS I didnt realise they had stopped putting ash trays in cars ! Wow thats cool !:cool:

They're not standard in car's anymore but most would still have a smokers pack as an optional extra that fits in the central console or the cup holder and the 12v lighter.

• Advertisement

I think throwing any litter on the ground is lazy and repulsive. It’s honestly that simple. That’s it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement