Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Still a few patches left here and there and just an unpleasant feeling day all round. 'Scaldy weather' as my granddad used to call it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Well it might be wet and miserable here and we didn’t have any ‘snow days’ but waking up to the sight of Muckish mountain and the hills of Donegal blanketed is beautiful :)
    501275.jpeg
    501264.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

pauldry wrote: »
    Filled a bin with snow with my son yesterday evening .

He wanted to keep it for building snowman today.

It's all snighzzle now though so hes sad.

Still he was happy last night

This post sums up the frustration of cold/snow lovers in this country. Hope he gets to build that snowman before winter is done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wish I could take a half day to go to the Gap of Dungloe with my camera,

Lots of snow out my window

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bar a very brief wet snow shower yesterday afternoon, nothing in Galway city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Another snow shower here on the Kilkenny hills, but not enough for any accumulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Fresh video from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

joujoujou wrote: »

Winter wonderland! Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Few miles away from Knock Airport. :)

Now doesn't look so nice, but still approx. 5cm of very wet snow left.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

That’s class ...... Wouldn’t wanna meet another car on that road though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It seems like Knock Airport area was the place to be for snow with this event with a proper fall of snow, looks at least 4 or 5 inches deep, most likely being well inland along with the elevation being the key with this. Seems inland parts of Donegal, Mayo and parts of inland Galway received some lying snow, about 1 or 2 inches perhaps. , but doesn't seem to be much snow anywhere else with very little snow east and south of the Shannon.

But fear not, there is an increasing chance of the east seeing some flakes at some stage over the next few weeks, winter ain't done yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Sleet around UCC in the last few minutes.

Gonzo wrote: »
    It seems like Knock Airport area was the place to be for snow with this event with a proper fall of snow, looks at least 4 or 5 inches deep, most likely being well inland along with the elevation being the key with this. Seems inland parts of Donegal, Mayo and parts of inland Galway received some lying snow, about 1 or 2 inches perhaps. , but doesn't seem to be much snow anywhere else with very little snow east and south of the Shannon.

But fear not, there is an increasing chance of the east seeing some flakes at some stage over the next few weeks, winter ain't done yet!

It's worth keeping in mind that Knock Airport is at 200m asl, so it is always more prone to seeing greater amounts of snow under these sort of conditions than other parts of country, which isn't to say that lower lying parts of Mayo, Donegal etc didn't see a nice amount. For us in Galway though, this was a poor showing even for a polar westerly with regards snow amounts, but that is just the way the proverbial cookie crumbles I guess.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hit and miss is the nature of a showery regime unfortunately - had it lasted even a day longer you may have got the goods.

Hit and miss is the nature of a showery regime unfortunately - had it lasted even a day longer you may have got the goods.

I think the last half-decent polar westerly was back in something like Feb or March 2015 or 2016, can't remember exactly but much of the country seen a covering at some stage of the other, even as far as the east coast.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The sky here has gone that "off" colour that usually means snow , coming from the Mountmellick direction .
    We'll probably end up with a rainstorm though :pac:

ETA ,
    it was rain .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think the last half-decent polar westerly was back in something like Feb or March 2015 or 2016, can't remember exactly but much of the country seen a covering at some stage of the other, even as far as the east coast.

16 January 2018 was very good for a westerly and was associated with “Storm” Fionn. Brought my first snowflakes since March 2016 and even managed a bit of a dusting. Biggest flakes I’ve observed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That was similiar to part of my drive home' -though the road is not quite as narrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It's worth keeping in mind that Knock Airport is at 200m asl, so it is always more prone to seeing greater amounts of snow under these sort of conditions than other parts of country, which isn't to say that lower lying parts of Mayo, Donegal etc didn't see a nice amount. For us in Galway though, this was a poor showing even for a polar westerly with regards snow amounts, but that is just the way the proverbial cookie crumbles I guess.

Only a dusting in Letterkenny both mornings, plenty on the hills around the town but nothing useful or worthwhile at lower levels. North Mayo / South Sligo seems to have been the sweet spot for lower(ish) levels

Trying its best to snow again now as it happens, big chunky flakes coming down but too sleety to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

You're thinking of March 2016 (4th March?). It brought a dusting of snow here in Dublin 5. As Sryan said though, the last good westerly was January 2018.

• Advertisement

Artane2002 wrote: »
    You're thinking of March 2016 (4th March?). It brought a dusting of snow here in Dublin 5. As Sryan said though, the last good westerly was January 2018.

I struggle to remember January 2018 to be honest.

It was March 2015 I was thinking of. I complied this video for 'IWO' at the time using its followers photos:

https://www.facebook.com/IrishWeatherOnline/videos/1067692126580501/

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Belting hailstones near limerick on and off through the day.
    Now its hailing in North Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

sryanbruen wrote: »
    16 January 2018 was very good for a westerly and was associated with “Storm” Fionn. Brought my first snowflakes since March 2016 and even managed a bit of a dusting. Biggest flakes I’ve observed too.

My son was born that that day, was nice to see snow falling from the maternity unit window :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that's the one, 16th of January is the one westerly which brought 8cm and proper blizzard conditions to Dunshaughlin that evening, snowed fairly regularly from about 5pm to 9pm and ended up with a covering like the one from the Knock Airport area last night. Such a rarity to see this level of snow anywhere in Meath from a westerly direction.

After the 16th of January we then had several smaller dustings from the west but nothing great. Of course we then had the BFTE and Storm Emma final days of February, early March... and when that was over and done with we had another covering on Paddy's day. 2018 was such a great winter and spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love how the media last couple of nights have used the words plunge and plummet wrt temps going to -1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

NIMAN wrote: »
    Love how the media last couple of nights have used the words plunge and plummet wrt temps going to -1.

Its colder in my freezer :D

Was looking through my rather messy 'OneDrive' archive and came across this satellite animation for afternoon January 29th 2015 (5 years ago tomorrow) when we had 'Polar Low' form to our near north. Did bring some snow showers I think with some thunder to the NW. There also seemed to be lying snow across much of the north at the time of the satellite capture.

j8ot4lP.gif

Edit: Another sat image as the PL closed in on N. Coast later that evening:

NxjDiSR.png

Probably the last time we had a Polar low come this close to us. They are rare beasts at the best of times anyway.

Edit again. Met Eireann chart for 9pm that eve showing PL moving down through the NE of the country. Quite a deep feature with central pressure of 971 hPa.

UeWBOuV.gif

New Moon

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's the one, 16th of January is the one westerly which brought 8cm and proper blizzard conditions to Dunshaughlin that evening, snowed fairly regularly from about 5pm to 9pm and ended up with a covering like the one from the Knock Airport area last night. Such a rarity to see this level of snow anywhere in Meath from a westerly direction.

After the 16th of January we then had several smaller dustings from the west but nothing great. Of course we then had the BFTE and Storm Emma final days of February, early March... and when that was over and done with we had another covering on Paddy's day. 2018 was such a great winter and spring.

I just can't remember this event at all, so must have largely missed here or else my memory have just faded away into oblivion. Chart for that day:

CFSR_1_2018011618_2.png

Certainly a more potent westerly stream that this current one.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I just can't remember this event at all, so must have largely missed here or else my memory have just faded away into oblivion.

Certainly a more potent westerly stream that this current one.

Just had a look through the event thread at the time and you reported unusually fine and small flakes for a westerly like that in the mid-afternoon period of the 16th.

Thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057828884

• Advertisement

Just had a look through the event thread at the time and you reported unusually fine and small flakes for a westerly like that in the mid-afternoon period of the 16th.

Thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057828884

Thanks for that link Syran. Should help kick start the oul memory into life! Just funny how I can't remember that event but can remember vividly the snow later that winter shortly before and during 'storm Emma'.

New Moon

Advertisement