Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Large hail setting off car alarms, lightning and loud bang of thunder Galway City.

Another dose of it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Conditions across parts of the west and northwest are good for snowfall with air, surface and dew point temperatures near freezing or just below. Higher chance of snow from any showers now.

Gweedore, Donegal this morning after a recent shower

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A good thunderstorm over Castlebar currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Followed by a large dumping big hail, a good 14 flashes and rumbles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

pad199207 wrote: »
    Snow in County Antrim
    DCD3526-A-5-A4-C-4415-98-C5-05-A88-D8-CF645.jpg

Hilarious the amount of thanks a dusting of snow gets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

An icey mess in Galway, hail followed by sleet should be fun to drive on.
    Ooh and some rumbles of thunder now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

More thunder and lightning in Galway. A strange icy precip mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Hilarious the amount of thanks a dusting of snow gets

We are snow starved with this mild winter. Any snow that falls is worth celebrating.

Motorway was a mess, a number of accidents. Alot of these accidents could be avoided if people learned how to drive in the conditions, IMO.
    I moved along nicely in the outside lane at a steady pace, people changing lanes erratically and breaking unnecessarily is so frustrating.

• Advertisement

Recent snowfall with a covering of snow on the Barnesmore Gap, Donegal this morning.

0334 (12).jpg

0334 (11).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Motorway was a mess, a number of accidents. Alot of these accidents could be avoided if people learned how to drive in the conditions, IMO.
    I moved along nicely in the outside lane at a steady pace, people changing lanes erratically and breaking unnecessarily is so frustrating.

I agree but we get very little way in practicing driving in these conditions. I was lucky and learnt to drive during the snow in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Be right back

What motorway was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

What motorway was that?

The M6 looks a mess around Athenry according to google maps anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

M17 now closed after Tuam due to a number of collisions
    So basically if there is a hail shower there are accidents and motorway closes down
    What kind of surface did they put on it ??????

It’s mad than it this type of weather we end up choosing to be safer by using the old roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    The M6 looks a mess around Athenry according to google maps anyway.

And the M18 also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

1 cm of covering at Knock at 7 am. Temperature +0.1, dp -0.2.

The aviation chart for 12Z shows a similar situation, with an area extending in over Atlantic coastal counties. Occasional light rain, sleet, soft hail showers, locally moderate, with isolated (occasional on mountains) snow showers.

Lucreto wrote: »
    I agree but we get very little way in practicing driving in these conditions. I was lucky and learnt to drive during the snow in 2010

I practice everytime the roads are bad, make the car slide and learn how to react to recover in a car park or quiet road.

What motorway was that?

M6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They were probably changing lanes to get around someone like yourself who insists on driving in the outside lane and blocking everything.
    You drive on the inside lane and use the outside lane for overtaking slower moving vehicles within the speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bit of slushy snow on the car. drive clear. sw donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

bit of slushy snow on the car. drive clear. sw donegal

Glad to hear you got in safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

I practice everytime the roads are bad, make the car slide and learn how to react to recover in a car park or quiet road.

This is the proper way to become an expert snow and ice driver. I use chains personally but I reckon I’d be grand in Alaska with this kind of advise from an actual expert

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Rashers Big Log. No more nonsense about red warnings/attempts to derail the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yes I used to do that in my 20s when starting to drive. It does help you become a better 'ice driver'. I had a banger so didn't mind hitting the odd kerb. It has come in handy a few times.
    I have driven on a motorway with hailstones before too. They are lethal. Like millions of ball bearings on the road. Just slow down a lot but don't brake!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Knock has a 2-cm covering at 8 am. Temp +0.2, dp marginally up now, also at +0.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No snow here as of yet but heard thunder sometime overnight.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

This evening from 9pm-ish until early morning looks like the best chance for some ninja snow for the rest of the west, south west and south - very marginal but probably the best conditions of this current spell. Upper temps sneak into -6, sometimes -7 and the hPa thickness at 850 and 500 is not bad as well... We just need the any showers to fall right in the right places and then pray it's the white gold. I'll be glued to the netweather radar.

As for further east it'll depend on any of the bigger showers making their way over that far, but more likely just a really cold night with some tiny flutters.

But all in all, if you're going to be lamp post watching, tonight's the night to do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

About 1cm dusting in Letterkenny this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not even a frost in Bray this morning.

Advertisement