Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We has just a yellow ice warning for this morning and didn't even get a frost. So e light rain overnight but not cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

They were probably changing lanes to get around someone like yourself who insists on driving in the outside lane and blocking everything.
    You drive on the inside lane and use the outside lane for overtaking slower moving vehicles within the speed limit.

For your information, there was nobody behind me all the way into Galway, they were all clutching the steering wheel in fear in the inside lane.
    Thanks for the input though into something you know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cold wind in cork city this morning but no Frost and just some rain over night. Not expecting much here, we never really do good from these systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Currently snowing in my part of Longford, wet stuff but starting to stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nice morning in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Bit of sleet in Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Sleet in my own part of Mayo this morning but I did experience a proper snow shower near Carracastle in the east of the county while driving earlier. Near the county border with Roscommon has got a white dusting alright. All clear again a few kilometres further east however.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Some hail and snow showers since 5 am this morning, which resulted in a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Recent snowfall with a covering of snow on the Barnesmore Gap, Donegal this morning.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Those images are from January 1st 1970! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Danno wrote: »
    Those images are from January 1st 1970! :p

😂 Great camera quality back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

0334-12.jpg

I cleaned the glare from the photo.

The showers are going to turn back to rain and sleet soon during the day. Hopefully tonight delivers more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I practice everytime the roads are bad, make the car slide and learn how to react to recover in a car park or quiet road.

Any excuse for some drifting, and I don't mean snow drifts ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Monkeynut wrote: »
    I cleaned the glare from the photo.

Whats the point its from 1970 it should be deleted by the mods, it makes the forum downright silly posting pictures like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

That imaginary snow that we always get from the atlantic has arrived in Galway:rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Whats the point its from 1970 it should be deleted by the mods, it makes the forum downright silly posting pictures like that

It's a joke, they are messing, calm down!

Went righttttt over your head.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »

I would suggest the date is simply wrong/it's a default date setting. Not sure there was a network of road traffic cameras in 1970!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I would suggest the date is simply wrong/it's a default date setting. Not sure there was a network of road traffic cameras in 1970!

There was hardly a network of decent roads in 1970 outside of Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Hope too see a bit tonight but not holding my breath. Mt says nothing bar higher ground.
    Kermit any update on ur end fir west tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Was a Dusting of snow on the cavan meath border 100 meters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

These warnings are as bad as the elections...how many times must we get fooled before we learn:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hooter23 wrote: »
    These warnings are as bad as the elections...how many times must we get fooled before we learn:rolleyes:

Hold on hold on, there's dark clouds coming from the Limerick direction. Could be something in them there clouds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A dusting on Lugnaquilla today. Expecting more tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Steve F wrote: »
    Bit of sleet in Louth

I'm north Louth and we had a bit of a freeze before dawn and some rain. Bright and clear since early on. Where in Louth are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well the euro 04 model still wants to be a hero. This is what its 6am model run forecasts for 5pm today. If this is way wrong, remember I'm only the messenger..... Most of the other short term models (Hirlam, Arpege, Icon) strongly disagree. GFS does snow snow tonight but, well, it often does to no avail....

euro4_uk1-1-10-0.png?27-11

Edit, on a second look Hirlam does show an ok bit of snow overnight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just your average January day here in Galway. Overcast low cloud and a few spits of pointless rain now and again.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I'm north Louth and we had a bit of a freeze before dawn and some rain. Bright and clear since early on. Where in Louth are you?

Between Carrickmacross and Dundalk

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just your average January day here in Galway. Overcast low cloud and a few spits of pointless rain now and again.

it's much the same here. If there is one thing i don't like about this kind of cold, is where it's too marginal for snow during the day, but the damp cold is more uncomfortable than if it were -5 degrees and bone dry.

I remember in mild winters pass you were still able eek out a snow day or two, that was back in the day when we could still get proper northerlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 richiekdj1

New to boards.ie here. Have been a “lurker” as you’d call it the last few years. Usually great weather threads so I said I’d sign up to give my 20 cents worth. Last 30 minutes in cork (airport/Carrigaline) it started raining heavily, gradually turned to sleet and then for 5 minutes, heavy hail which coated the roads. Now back to rain. Temperature was at 5 and dropped rapidly to 3 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

richiekdj1 wrote: »
    New to boards.ie here. Have been a “lurker” as you’d call it the last few years. Usually great weather threads so I said I’d sign up to give my 20 cents worth. Last 30 minutes in cork (airport/Carrigaline) it started raining heavily, gradually turned to sleet and then for 5 minutes, heavy hail which coated the roads. Now back to rain. Temperature was at 5 and dropped rapidly to 3 now.

Thanks. Just to add that contrary to what someone else said earlier, Ive seen us in Cork do ok from these westerly set ups a good few times over the last 7 or 8 years.

Advertisement