Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briars and Ivy taking over Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I planted at hawthorn hedge for glas a few years who. Double rows and fence each side. I cut it back to about 6” above ground the autumn after sowing and cut it about 4” for the previous cut each year. This is the first year I don’t have to weed the grass between the plans. Anyhow, whst im wondering is, is the way I’m cutting it each year a better way than letting it grow high before laying/coppicing? It seems to be staying lovely and thick down low this way

I let it grow up to 3ft then cut maybe four at 6 inches and lay the fifth one across them to protect them, you'd fly along a hedge doing it that way, never had to weed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

blackbox wrote: »
    Briars and brambles are two different plants. What they have in common is thorns!
    Really, I didn't know that. I thought they were two different names for the same plant (hateful yokes that grow all over the fences and produce suckers in the filed) that produces my favourite fruit for jam making. What's the difference between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Briars and brambles are two different plants. What they have in common is thorns!

I always thought a bramble was just a Protestant briar!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I always thought a bramble was just a Protestant briar!

Yea.
    Same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

farmertipp wrote: »
    I have a neighbour whose whole place is yellow with ragwort . this yr it's worse than ever. why don't they enforce the law?

In order for them to enforce the law you have to report it.
    Yes you need to report them.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea.
    Same

I know theres 2 types, one we call a dog briar, they grow more upright than the other type and are more woody

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

farmertipp wrote: »
    I have a neighbour whose whole place is yellow with ragwort . this yr it's worse than ever. why don't they enforce the law?

Same here.
    Probably 40 acres with ran down ditches, cattle have the whole run of the place and a sea of yellow.
    I see this year that a neighbor who bounds him now has ragwort spread 30-40 meters from their boundary.

We’re constantly handing to keep on top of it as seed just goes everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭minerleague

I planted at hawthorn hedge for glas a few years who. Double rows and fence each side. I cut it back to about 6” above ground the autumn after sowing and cut it about 4” for the previous cut each year. This is the first year I don’t have to weed the grass between the plans. Anyhow, whst im wondering is, is the way I’m cutting it each year a better way than letting it grow high before laying/coppicing? It seems to be staying lovely and thick down low this way

If its working for you as is I suppose maybe keep going like that. A neighbour planted a new hedge and followed advice like you are doing but after a couple of years its getting hard to get at all the new shoots to keep it low. Maybe let 1 in 3 grow up for a few years to give you something to lay in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

If its working for you as is I suppose maybe keep going like that. A neighbour planted a new hedge and followed advice like you are doing but after a couple of years its getting hard to get at all the new shoots to keep it low. Maybe let 1 in 3 grow up for a few years to give you something to lay in future.

How is it hard to get at the shoots now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Planting Whitethorn hedge
    Cut back to 10cms after planting, cut back to 30cms after one years growth, cut back to 60cms after 2nd years growth.

bottom right of page 2 on attached

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭blackbox

Base price wrote: »
    Really, I didn't know that. I thought they were two different names for the same plant (hateful yokes that grow all over the fences and produce suckers in the filed) that produces my favourite fruit for jam making. What's the difference between them?

Brambles are the very common long trailing ones that grow blackberries on them.

Briars grow more upright and usually have bigger flowers on them. They are a type of wild rose. They have oval orange/red berries in late summer called hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭minerleague

Jb1989 wrote: »
    How is it hard to get at the shoots now?

The hedge is quite bushy in all directions so only the outside of each plant is readily accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

Sorry to correct you but the time for that was in the spring. They're dying away from September anyway.
    Knock the young fronds for a few years and they're well shook and the grass has plenty space to re establish.

July/August is the correct time to spray fern with Asulox - just after the frond opens. Asulox is absorbed by the leaf, makes it's way to the root as the plant dies back in autumn and it won't reappear next year. So it's very important not to break the stem after spraying as the route from leaf to root will be broken.
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Planting Whitethorn hedge
    Cut back to 10cms after planting, cut back to 30cms after one years growth, cut back to 60cms after 2nd years growth.

bottom right of page 2 on attached

Do you have to prune at any particular angle?

Do you have to prune at any particular angle?

Don't know. I cut back to 1 foot as above, the first year and it does thicken out the hedge.
    I'd say with 2 rows of planting, you'd have a serious hedge. Hope to plant more next winter.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Don't know. I cut back to 1 foot as above, the first year and it does thicken out the hedge.
    I'd say with 2 rows of planting, you'd have a serious hedge. Hope to plant more next winter.

Set a white thorn, holly & beech hedge in the spring
    I didn’t cut at planting
    Might cut all to 30cm at winter time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭emaherx

Brambles are the very common long trailing ones that grow blackberries on them.

Briars grow more upright and usually have bigger flowers on them. They are a type of wild rose. They have oval orange/red berries in late summer called hips.

According to the dictionary neither Briar nor Bramble mean a particular plant they both refer to any number of thorny shrubs. I've never herd anyone local here refer to any thorny bushes as brambles, I've always considered bramble to be posh for briar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

emaherx wrote: »
    According to the dictionary neither Briar nor Bramble mean a particular plant they both refer to any number of thorny shrubs. I've never herd anyone local here refer to any thorny bushes as brambles, I've always considered bramble to be posh for briar.

My Chambers Dictionary does make the distinction, the brier/briar is a rose, and the bramble is a blackberry bush.

Having said that, we have always called blackberry bushes - briars.

also if you Google briars, selecting "images" you will get "dog roses" and Google brambles on "images", you will get blackberry bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If you sprayed stone walls covered in ivy would they fall when the spray kills the plant and it starts to rot.when it rots would the stones loosen and fall

My Chambers Dictionary does make the distinction, the brier/briar is a rose, and the bramble is a blackberry bush.

Having said that, we have always called blackberry bushes - briars.

also if you Google briars, selecting "images" you will get "dog roses" and Google brambles on "images", you will get blackberry bushes.

A blackberry Bush is a member of the rose family

briar
    noun:
    any of a number of prickly scrambling shrubs, especially a wild rose.

bramble
    noun:
    a prickly scrambling shrub of the rose family, especially a blackberry.

they look fairly interchangeable to me

If I use google images for Briar, blackberry bushes and other wild roses appear in the search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭blackbox

emaherx wrote: »

they look fairly interchangeable to me

If you know there are two different plants, why would you want to call them both the same name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Ivy is like crack cocaine to cattle. They'd smoke if they could.

Granny told me to feed it to a cow who's afterbirth wasn't coming out. Anyone else hear of this "cure"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Where I'm from briars are blackberry bushes and bucky briars are the dog roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,083 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We have several hives scattered around, it's the ivy the native honeybees gravitate to and the quality of ivy honey is distinctive in terms of taste and texture. The honey from ivy and also Blackthorn and whitethorn blossom are considered the gold star amongst many beekeepers.

Just because the honey might be nicer doesnt automatically mean we should allow ivy to take over.
    There are huge areas of wildflower these days, specifically to support bio-diversity and pollinators.

If you know there are two different plants, why would you want to call them both the same name?

Point is the name briar is not a name for any specific plant but a classification of a wild thorny shrub from the rose family and is quite commonly given to any member of that family growing wild in our hedges. Almost everyone I know refer to blackberry bushes (and other thorny bushes) as briars.

Why would you want to give a name intended for a family of plants to just one member?

Granny told me to feed it to a cow who's afterbirth wasn't coming out. Anyone else hear of this "cure"

Sure did. I was always told it was good for cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

GreeBo wrote: »
    Just because the honey might be nicer doesnt automatically mean we should allow ivy to take over.
    There are huge areas of wildflower these days, specifically to support bio-diversity and pollinators.

You must be joking!! - outside of places like the Shannon Callows nearly all our original wildflower meadows have vanished over the past 60 years. Figures for the the UK show a 99% loss since WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sure did. I was always told it was good for cattle.
    ESB crew visited the farm a few weeks ago due to a problem with a line that crosses the farm. OH was talking to them and showed them another line that partially crosses the yard and the gable end of a shed. They said that the line wasn't safe and should not have crossed the yard/shed so they are going to put up a new pole to move it. We had to cut a Ash tree with Ivy growing on it yesterday to facilitate the pole stay wire so that it can be located in the haggard. We had a couple of cows with adopted calves at foot in the field where it fell and they went mad eating the Ivy and Ash leaves.

Base price wrote: »
    ESB crew visited the farm a few weeks ago due to a problem with a line that crosses the farm. OH was talking to them and showed them another line that partially crosses the yard and the gable end of a shed. They said that the line wasn't safe and should not have crossed the yard/shed so they are going to put up a new pole to move it. We had to cut a Ash tree with Ivy growing on it yesterday to facilitate the pole stay wire so that it can be located in the haggard. We had a couple of cows with adopted calves at foot in the field where it fell and they went mad eating the Ivy and Ash leaves.

Sheep will even eat the bark off ash branches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Yep we do it here, there is something to it for sure.

Advertisement