Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briars and Ivy taking over Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Old school video here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Biscuitus wrote: »
    Straw yields way down this year and grass growth rapidly dropping yet briars growing 6-10 feet this year. madness!

Local contractor doing hedges says it's great for him. Hedges he cut way down at the start of the year have 3 years worth of growth now and he'll be busy for weeks on end.
    Maybe try going to the pub?
    Travel a fair amount of ground around here and would be on a lot of farms of varying land quality and you're just spouting pure nonsense. Haven't seen the likes of what your saying anywhere.
    Maybe your firing fertilizer into the ditches...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Old school video here

My father used to lay hedges like that. He'd just do it in certain patches where there was a hole. Tough work and a real dying art.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

I notice a lot more land down the country now left to its own devices than used to be the case. This is typically poor to middling land that is typically owned by bachelor farmers that is now left to grow rushes and briars as well as grass. Looks like some elderly farmers in this category have effectively given up commercial farming and are living on saving or supports. I imagine when they pass on younger farmers will buy in and clear all these hedges and weeds away, drain and improve the land. And some of this land will be planted. But the amount of land currently left looking fairly neglected is quite noticeable.

Worth having a good look at any flowering ivy ATM. Supports a massive range of hoverflys, bumbles etc and gives them a fill of food before the winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wrangler wrote: »
    Wildlife doesn't bother me and I don't bother them, plenty of wild areas in Ireland for them and there'll be more wild areas for them

There aren't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There aren't really.

It depends where you're living and what you associate as/with wildlife.
    Also if you're a landowner what you do yourself.

It depends where you're living and what you associate as/with wildlife.
    Also if you're a landowner what you do yourself.

https://irelandswildlife.com/book-review-whittled-away-irelands-vanishing-nature/
    https://greennews.ie/irish-bird-population-decimated-few-decades/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/property/homeandoutdoors/arid-20450584.html%3ftype=amp

No it's not down to someone's "opinion" or someone's inexpert observations, there are actually a hell of a lot less wildlife now than in decades past. That's a fact, it has been shown to be so and it's not up for debate.

There were over fifty crows and a Heron going amongst the cows this evening tearing up dungpats looking for Dor beetles.

To the outsider looking in they'd say it was a desolate waste land of dairy cows grazing a monocrop of perennial ryegrass.

It entirely is down to how you use those eyes.
    There's more wildlife and variety of on this semi intensive dairy farm than is on the Blackstairs commonage.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Has anyone noticed the shocking decline of mature ash trees in the west of Ireland particularly this summer
    We have the best part of 500 mature ash all semi leafless in a totally un polluted rural area
    I cut one to see what the body of the tree looked like to find the centre or inside 6 inches was totally rotten
    Is this ash die back
    Whats the experience out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Seems to be a year for weeds and other undesirables. Would it be the extra heat we had maybe?

It's the hotter summers and milder Winters according to the experts. The summer had a rainforest climate. Nature's way of dealing with the growing levels of carbon is to continue growing all year round. Unfortunately this is ivy and briars here in Ireland.
    Maybe try going to the pub?
    Travel a fair amount of ground around here and would be on a lot of farms of varying land quality and you're just spouting pure nonsense. Haven't seen the likes of what your saying anywhere.
    Maybe your firing fertilizer into the ditches...

Ha the irony of your post :rolleyes: You must be living in an area of Ireland that barely supports sheep if you think such nonsense yourself. I've been all across Ireland this summer. You need to look beyond your own farm and get out more and no the pub doesn't count, try leaving your county ;). Take a trip around Ireland and open your eyes. You'd have to be blind not to see the rampant growth taking over every field and road.

And we stopped using fertiliser 2 years ago. No reason to anymore with how crazy the growth has gotten. Even the intensive dairy farms around here have cut way back.

And one more point to drive it home. Dublin Country Council were cutting miles of hedgerow this summer cause it was already creeping out onto the road and couldn't wait until Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

And one more point to drive it home. Dublin Country Council were cutting miles of hedgerow this summer cause it was already creeping out onto the road and couldn't wait until Autumn.

From what I see Dublin CC are only cutting verges and the likes once a year now - nearly all their parks/public areas have large areas of natural meadows for pollinators and its great to see the likes of Bumblebees etc. taking advantage. Very little use of sprays like roundup any more too - wish some of the CC's down the country would wise up on such things:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's the hotter summers and milder Winters according to the experts. The summer had a rainforest climate. Nature's way of dealing with the growing levels of carbon is to continue growing all year round. Unfortunately this is ivy and briars here in Ireland.

Ha the irony of your post :rolleyes: You must be living in an area of Ireland that barely supports sheep if you think such nonsense yourself. I've been all across Ireland this summer. You need to look beyond your own farm and get out more and no the pub doesn't count, try leaving your county ;). Take a trip around Ireland and open your eyes. You'd have to be blind not to see the rampant growth taking over every field and road.

And we stopped using fertiliser 2 years ago. No reason to anymore with how crazy the growth has gotten. Even the intensive dairy farms around here have cut way back.

I didn't find briar growth particularly bad this year, last year was a much bigger issue. But growth of 6 to 10 feet? Is that a claim that they are growing out bushy 6-10 feet or just some 6-10 feet strands? If the latter then that has always been the case as far as I can remember, but ploughs, mowers and livestock don't be long knocking most of them strands back. I live in Meath and there has always been lots of briars and Ivy. But I think there is much less ringing of trees for Ivy and people let briars grow out much further than the past and then get a contractor in to scalp the hedges back to nothing. Personally I like to see a bit of wild vegetation in the hedge rows and try to avoid obliterating hedges while still keeping some control on them.

I just cleared the growth from an electric fence from a 10 acre field for the first time this year over the weekend using a hand held hedge cutter and to be honest long grass was a bigger issue than briars.

I've seen no co council hedge cutting here except verges and junctions as per a normal year and no need for anything extra either.

Widespread use of temporary electric fences probably has more to do with increases in hedges than the weather, where some people just keep pulling the wire from the hedge to avoid shorts.

I took on a field about 3 years ago which had been idle for at least 10 and some of the hedges had grown out about 12ft in a few places but certainly not 6-10 per year and also not everywhere. Mostly just where there were fallen trees.

There were over fifty crows and a Heron going amongst the cows this evening tearing up dungpats looking for Dor beetles.

To the outsider looking in they'd say it was a desolate waste land of dairy cows grazing a monocrop of perennial ryegrass.

It entirely is down to how you use those eyes.
    There's more wildlife and variety of on this semi intensive dairy farm than is on the Blackstairs commonage.

Crows are very adaptable and can survive on a rubbish dump so that observation proves very little. If you saw a flock of sparrows that would be actually something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sparrows are gone on, left here about 5 days ago. Have to clean the feckin dairy down after them now. Have gotten a roll of plastic to cut in to strips to prevent bird access for next year, what could you put up for the returning swallows outside the building or will they just not nest here if the dairy/ parlour is closed off?

Crows are very adaptable and can survive on a rubbish dump so that observation proves very little. If you saw a flock of sparrows that would be actually something.

I have those also.
    They roost in the cow sheds.
    I have a flock of starlings and a flock of pigeons also.
    Ain't modern dairy farms great for wildlife better than years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

I have those also.
    They roost in the cow sheds.
    I have a flock of starlings and a flock of pigeons also.
    Ain't modern dairy farms great for wildlife better than years ago.

Not only that but sparrows are actually on the increase. And most of their previous decrease was associated with urbanisation and air pollution.

It's not just the evil farmers who are responsible for loss of habitats and feeding grounds. Sparrows in particular spent the past 10,000 years gaining dependence on humans for seed to eat, but less gardening has had its impact. Astro turf and concrete gardens are a great addition for the urban dwelling birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Cavan as well? My grandfather had loads of the cures for animals and had them in a book that was lost.

How was it lost? Loaned out or borrowed or used as a school project and not collected back or loaned to the vet/neighbour?

Just hacking back brambles this week - they grew 4 foot out, 40 foot long and 10 foot high in less than two years Nd thats just a garden plot. Leaving some for the birds but its a task.

Got some great audio footage of the birdsong coming from a field with massive hedgerows during the lockdown. Builders have moved in now and bulldozed it bare and 16 sets of itinerant trailers and double as many white no reg hiace vans in there now - terrible to see the place laid bare and filling up with human waste. They probably wouod have never noticed tha place was undergoing building works if they’d left the huge hedgerows in - at least 15 foot high - all those birds and habitats lost - terrible shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’d be slow to ever let a digger in to pull bushes again. A million furze in a ditch after growing back. The whitethorn I sowed is barely visible. May get the strummers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

Has anyone noticed the shocking decline of mature ash trees in the west of Ireland particularly this summer
    We have the best part of 500 mature ash all semi leafless in a totally un polluted rural area
    I cut one to see what the body of the tree looked like to find the centre or inside 6 inches was totally rotten
    Is this ash die back
    Whats the experience out there?

Noticed the same as that this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

Ireland needs a national Ivy cull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Ivy is one of the most environmentally friendly, green all year round plants, for animals, birds and bees. It is also regarded as a medicine by some

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I don't know what species of bee, small ones, but the ivy was live with the hum of bees, I think it was November last, it was winter time anyway.

Just googled it, they're Ivy Bees, though it says they are slightly bigger than honey bees the ones I saw on several ivy's were quiet small.

A massive amount of different insects visit ivy when in flower, well over 100 different types of insects getting a boost before winter

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just because its good for wildlife, doesn't mean we should let it take over.

Having just ivy isnt very bio diverse either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I must be the only person here that prefers the sight of a big overgrown hedge/ditch in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

I have ash and pine trees covered in ivy..... Both are being slowly choked by it. Cut ivy 2 years ago to give trees a chance and it just grew back more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would much rather see individual trees of multiple varieties than see a solid lump of green bushy ivy where you cant make out individual trees.

How was the above tree supposed to grow with this ivy all around it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I mean I prefer looking at wild hedge rows, rather than ones that have been trimmed constantly. I think one of the pics looks a lot better than the other below, but each to their own.

Ive no issue with Ivy at all, its a native species and has been here long before we had the saws to cut it! In the pics above, I think the Ivy adds a lot of colour in the winter months as its an ever green. I think dead Ivy looks unsightly and you are stuck looking at it for years. Trees can grow just fine with Ivy around them, shur how many years was that Ivy stuck to that tree above?

Advertisement