Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briars and Ivy taking over Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

GreeBo wrote: »
    Just because the honey might be nicer doesnt automatically mean we should allow ivy to take over.
    There are huge areas of wildflower these days, specifically to support bio-diversity and pollinators.

Ivy is good for bees mainly because it flowers so late in the year it can often be the difference between a hive surviving or not.
    I have loads of it but it hasn't taken over. Like most things it needs to be controlled so a snip every now and again keeps it in check without killing it off completely.

On a side note was fencing a field today that had the hedges failed Sept 2018. Briars I reckon have grown max 6 feet in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Every field wants to be forest. And how It tries to achieve that is by taking it over with thorny scrub so that pioneer tree species can gain a foothold. Unless you plant some trees in the hedgerows to eventually shade out the scrub they will continue their battle.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

I cut away the ivy from 2 trees yesterday

Just happened to see this thread, they were swamped with it , inch thick vines going up the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Where I'm from briars are blackberry bushes and bucky briars are the dog roses.

They are two different animals . one ,the briar, is a nuisance and fairly benign , the other the bucky briar has the most evil thorns imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Glenomra

the country is indeed becoming overgrown. The fact is that is what the government wants to happen. They see that as protecting the environment. I live close to the Shannon and went for walk along its bank recently. A pathway that was easily accessible is now inaccessible. two reasons, one is forcing farmers to put their farm fences well back from the river and secondly, the fact that the older fishermen who used the path regularly and kept the path clear are dying off and not being replaced. Younger people on their media, not fishing.!!!! The situation was highlighted for me this morning when I walked across our own yard, to find a fe****g briar had encroached in about six feet from the neighbour's hedge. If left unattended, the briars would take over a property within months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You must be joking!! - outside of places like the Shannon Callows nearly all our original wildflower meadows have vanished over the past 60 years. Figures for the the UK show a 99% loss since WW2.

You are talking about original areas, I'm referring to the new ones that are being purposefully created.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You must be joking!! - outside of places like the Shannon Callows nearly all our original wildflower meadows have vanished over the past 60 years. Figures for the the UK show a 99% loss since WW2.

You're being a tad sensationalist with that statement. Look at all the posters that were on the hay making thread in the last month, from all corners of the country I'd bet. What kind of meadows do you think they were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Glenomra wrote: »
    the country is indeed becoming overgrown. The fact is that is what the government wants to happen. They see that as protecting the environment. I live close to the Shannon and went for walk along its bank recently. A pathway that was easily accessible is now inaccessible. two reasons, one is forcing farmers to put their farm fences well back from the river and secondly, the fact that the older fishermen who used the path regularly and kept the path clear are dying off and not being replaced. Younger people on their media, not fishing.!!!! The situation was highlighted for me this morning when I walked across our own yard, to find a fe****g briar had encroached in about six feet from the neighbour's hedge. If left unattended, the briars would take over a property within months.

There's a reason for that though, and a good one for once.

The fence is supposed to be 1.5m out from the river bank and left with a thick cover of vegetation. This is to reduce dramatically the overflow from land after heavy rains, which are much more common now that previously, because that runoff from heavier land tends to be higher in levels of N.

The bank of vegetation reduces the absolute N levels due to higher infiltration rates due to the water and dissolved nutrients being held longer and reduces the concentration of those N levels due to slowing the runoff waters passage into the stream now being diluted from higher flow levels of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You're being a tad sensationalist with that statement. Look at all the posters that were on the hay making thread in the last month, from all corners of the country I'd bet. What kind of meadows do you think they were?

You don't create a wildflower meadow overnight - traditional wildflower meadows had species like Cowslips, Orchids etc. in it. Just cos hay is made in a field does not mean it becomes a great place for pollinators overnight - especially if the previous management involved chemical fert and herbicides. The ongoing decline of many bumblebee species etc. shows that. Which brings me back to my original point about hedgerows with ivy etc. being the only source of pollen/honey on many farms these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You are talking about original areas, I'm referring to the new ones that are being purposefully created.

That is to be welcomed but its still a drop in the ocean compared to the situation only 50 fifty years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Sure did. I was always told it was good for cattle.

Cavan as well? My grandfather had loads of the cures for animals and had them in a book that was lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

They are two different animals . one ,the briar, is a nuisance and fairly benign , the other the bucky briar has the most evil thorns imaginable.

Yep, remember it when following my father shooting pheasants going through rough ditches or going fishing myself and it if it caught you would rip you apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

No need for razor wire round the top of the prison wall, if you had a line of the bucky briar growing up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

Roundup is poisonous to humans and may be responsible for a host of health issues

Please don’t use it for everyone’s sake

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

worded wrote: »
    Roundup is poisonous to humans and may be responsible for a host of health issues

Please don’t use it for everyone’s sake

You should tell that to most gardening enthusiasts. Go into any B&Q, Woodies etc and it's the first thing you will see stacked up high. Farmers only use a fraction of what house owners use.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

farmertipp wrote: »
    I have a neighbour whose whole place is yellow with ragwort . this yr it's worse than ever. why don't they enforce the law?

Years ago it would have been taken seriously, even if the law wasn't enforced, it was a noxious weed, that was all the incentive you'd want to get rid of it. You'd go and pull them by hand yourself, you won't get them all but over time you'll make a dent in the population. Now they're too lazy to get off a tractor to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

You should tell that to most gardening enthusiasts. Go into any B&Q, Woodies etc and it's the first thing you will see stacked up high. Farmers only use a fraction of what house owners use.

On a sheer acreage basis I'd never have thought so, where did you see that?
    I suppose another difference is that as farmers , we're applying it directly or indirectly into the human food chain.

Just a quick google for roundup

Roundup causes cancer. Buyer pays out billions in US

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/business/roundup-settlement-lawsuits.html

worded wrote: »
    Just a quick google for roundup

Roundup causes cancer. Buyer pays out billions in US

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/business/roundup-settlement-lawsuits.html

The case is rubbish, only reason there is any payout is that it’s America claim culture.

Roundup is essential for farming.

On a sheer acreage basis I'd never have thought so, where did you see that?
    I suppose another difference is that as farmers , we're applying it directly or indirectly into the human food chain.

It’s banned in lots of counties

We are paddy last it seems

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

B&q stuff is all glyphosate free these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Years ago it would have been taken seriously, even if the law wasn't enforced, it was a noxious weed, that was all the incentive you'd want to get rid of it. You'd go and pull them by hand yourself, you won't get them all but over time you'll make a dent in the population. Now they're too lazy to get off a tractor to do that.

Was driving on the Cork - Fermoy motorway and there was motorway maintenance lads picking ragwort on the side of the motorway...

As for too lazy to get off a tractor - you sound like every old lad giving out about the younger generation... And the generation before you said the same about your lot... :)

The case is rubbish, only reason there is any payout is that it’s America claim culture.

Roundup is essential for farming.

They paid out early due to it being lethal/cancerous.....if they had been found liable in a court of law,they would been bankrupt by end of the week

Roundup is important for farming,but dont think for 1 second it isnt cancer causing or poisionus....anyone i ever known,who done contract spraying for years,died of cancer/kidney failure.

its to farming,what aspestos was to building

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭blackbox

B&q stuff is all glyphosate free these days

This is just virtue signalling.

I'm not going to claim that Roundup is completely harmless, but it is much less toxic than many other herbicides.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

farmertipp wrote: »
    I have a neighbour whose whole place is yellow with ragwort . this yr it's worse than ever. why don't they enforce the law?

Its a biennial airborne weed. Enforcing a law would be like fining farmers for littering when a tayto packet blows in. You can't stop ragweed. It will always be there and as much as you can sort out your own farm it will mean nothing if neighbours don't either. The council in my county have abandoned maintaining roadways completely. Ragweed everywhere let flower and spread without a care. Now all the surrounding fields are covered.

I had my farm spotless. It cost a lot in spray and many days pulling but last 2 years there was barely anything and that got pulled. Then builders dug up about 20 acres near my farm and this year I'm covered worse than I've ever been.

2 years of near spotless fields but because of the council and my neighbours I'm covered again so I should get a fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭farmertipp

if there was a rounded approach to the problem. the guy who caused it gets hit. I know a farmer who had furze in a corner and dept rang to know what he was growing. he was an old man and had to get a digger to remove it. so they c as n see it and track it if they wanted to.
    I'm talking about severe infestation. you cant see the grass in this place. a sea of yellow.
    ****er should be committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Straw yields way down this year and grass growth rapidly dropping yet briars growing 6-10 feet this year. madness!

Local contractor doing hedges says it's great for him. Hedges he cut way down at the start of the year have 3 years worth of growth now and he'll be busy for weeks on end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Biscuitus wrote: »
    Straw yields way down this year and grass growth rapidly dropping yet briars growing 6-10 feet this year. madness!

Local contractor doing hedges says it's great for him. Hedges he cut way down at the start of the year have 3 years worth of growth now and he'll be busy for weeks on end.

Seems to be a year for weeds and other undesirables. Would it be the extra heat we had maybe?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Seems to be a year for weeds and other undesirables. Would it be the extra heat we had maybe?

Our normal climate of wet / humid conditions favours rampant plant growth and weeds thrive in it. Even more so during our warm / wet / humid season.

Lower stocking rstes and restricted hedge management often means weeds have the upper hand.

If we could sell weeds - we'd all be millionaires ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

gozunda wrote: »

If we could sell weeds - we'd all be millionaires ...

Or rushes :)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement