Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

More rain forecast for Thursday.

Never completed the post! Edited there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If you told me back in the height of the drought mid June that I'd have the cows on 3.5kg nuts and be considering bales come the end of August because everything's gone to absolute slop I'd of laughed at ya and said not a hope ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

Timmaay wrote: »
    If you told me back in the height of the drought mid June that I'd have the cows on 3.5kg nuts and be considering bales come the end of August because everything's gone to absolute slop I'd of laughed at ya and said not a hope ha.

its a great little island we have. thank god we have all the silage made. A neighbour cut his wheat lately and it was 26% moisture the poor lad, and he had hoped to keep it, its up at the mill now and one of the nuts company is taking it away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I've taken off the fert spreader for the last 10 days, I'd imagine it's a waste atm especially on high ground?

We have to do every acre we are working silage ground and all but we cant see an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

K.G. wrote: »
    We have to do every acre we are working silage ground and all but we cant see an opportunity.

Why not this evening, good drying all day. I'm sure ye could be picking off the drier fields at least?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Why not this evening, good drying all day. I'm sure ye could be picking off the drier fields at least?

Raining here most of the day. We have a saying , dont muck until you have to muck....I think most farmers know their own land and when they can travel it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

whelan2 wrote: »
    Raining here most of the day. We have a saying , dont muck until you have to muck....I think most farmers know their own land and when they can travel it

Oh different weather here, great drying wind all day. We got the worst of Ellen though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Just wondering would it be washed away on high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

Had a small cow bulling today . She came in looking like a chocolate swiss roll

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

Anybody get a new milk recording report from Munster yet?

• Advertisement

Sent 2 cows to the factory on Monday. One of them showed lesions. Curse of fook on it anyway. I sent her as she had johnes, had her first calf this year. Have to wait for sample to culture. Locked up until then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

thisyear wrote: »

I got one this morning. Some amount of information on them. I'll have a better look tonight, though.

Sent 2 cows to the factory on Monday. One of them showed lesions. Curse of fook on it anyway. I sent her as she had johnes, had her first calf this year. Have to wait for sample to culture. Locked up until then

Fook that anyways. Are u heavily stocked at the minute. Was she a old cow?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Theres a bit of that but more the fear that it would get washed away

cosatron wrote: »
    Fook that anyways. Are u heavily stocked at the minute. Was she a old cow?

No only 2.5 years old. Only sent her as she was johnes positive. Home bred. Could be worse and be in the spring. Autumn calvers will be starting in a few weeks and I normally sell the calves. A long time since we had tb here. I sent a 12 year old cow with her and was sure it was her. Fingers crossed it will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

I got one this morning. Some amount of information on them. I'll have a better look tonight, though.

Just saw video on facebook, was wondering are they any good

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

C4d78 wrote: »
    Pity Teagasc couldn’t give some simple advice like that.
    DM of grass must be as low as 10-11% I’m guessing.
    How can you expect a cow to give anything close to 1.7 or 1.8 kg MS/day when all they have is water and 2 Kgs of meal.
    Foolish to believe the Teagasc line of they don’t need meal.
    blackdog1 wrote: »
    I think this perception of feeding silage reduces yield and solids is holding alot of people back when in fact if you feed at the right time it does the opposite. I'm feeding good 2nd cut bales atm in this atrocious weather and cows are holding well and fat is 4.24 and pr is 3.76 without it my cows would be miserable.

Exactly that, on a very dry farm here but the last few days of rain have made cows unsettled, the few bales of high quality silage makes them very content and cows holding at 21 litres @ 1.78MS/day it pays to keep them up for these few days. There's surely a nice week or 2 on the way , badly needed for the tillage boys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Is there a single worse job on the farm having to unravel these? I'd rather be dehorning or castrating large bullocks that having to spend an hr at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Is there a single worse job on the farm having to unravel these? I'd rather be dehorning or castrating large bullocks that having to spend an hr at this.

Or when someone would leave it on the back of the quad, the exhaust would melt it a wee bit and it would only break when you put a bit of tension on it. Don’t miss that craic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭alps

Just cut and dump...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

C0N0R wrote: »
    Or when someone would leave it on the back of the quad, the exhaust would melt it a wee bit and it would only break when you put a bit of tension on it. Don’t miss that craic

Something similar happened. The plastic strings didn't break but most of the wires did so sometimes the shock ran the length of the reel but other times it stopped halfway down.

Some head-scratching when the calves would go thru the fence some days but not on other days.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

thisyear wrote: »

Ya, alot of info. Colour coding is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

straight wrote: »

Is it online or via post ?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Is it online or via post ?

Both. Online, first and post a few days later.

Put a new motor on the milking machine today, old one was getting dodgy starting. Motor went on compressor this evening.

straight wrote: »

What type of info if you don’t mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Cant Johnes and tb get mixed up in testing

cosatron wrote: »
    What type of info if you don’t mind me asking.

Top 20% are green, bottom 20% are red. Scc status is colour coded. Lifetime kg produced, average dry days per lactation over lifetime, margin per day. Herd rank number.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Cant Johnes and tb get mixed up in testing

I think it's that the johnes result wont be accurate. Will ring my vet in the morning. This one showed up positive on blood in march for johnes and positive on dung sample in April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

About half with legions go clear. Takes over 8 weeks to culture it though or whatever they do.

Just got a letter the other day that legions that showed up in june were ok.

Advertisement