Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

straight wrote: »
    Top 20% are green, bottom 20% are red. Scc status is colour coded. Lifetime kg produced, average dry days per lactation over lifetime, margin per day. Herd rank number.

Due a recording next week, will be interesting to see if they think my bottom 20% are the same as I do. Will see what EBI is actually worth if any then!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's autumn calver calved. Year doesn't be long going around. Angus bull calf that I wont be able to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have you facilities to hold all calves?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have you facilities to hold all calves?

Ye. Just glad it's not the spring time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Retrofitting a dairymaster parlour at the moment. Electrician arrives this morning and asks about an earthing grid in the Passageway. Nothing on the DM drawings, no mention of it at all. New screed gone in months ago.

Rang DM rep, that’s not something we’d put on a drawing. Spoke to the CEO Ed Harty, “well your electrician needs to look at this before you start”

Have to get a consaw now to put these in

Shower of c**ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Green&Red wrote: »
    Retrofitting a dairymaster parlour at the moment. Electrician arrives this morning and asks about an earthing grid in the Passageway. Nothing on the DM drawings, no mention of it at all. New screed gone in months ago.

Rang DM rep, that’s not something we’d put on a drawing. Spoke to the CEO Ed Harty, “well your electrician needs to look at this before you start”

Shower of c**ts

I put in a Gascoigne parlour a few years ago and it was specified on the drawing. Some dose of a job, you must nearly have to break the most of it all out again

I put in a Gascoigne parlour a few years ago and it was specified on the drawing. Some dose of a job, you must nearly have to break the most of it all out again

Talk to the spark in the morning. Looks like six channels ran either side. It’ll be in absolute sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭visatorro

Green&Red wrote:
    Rang DM rep, that’s not something we’d put on a drawing. Spoke to the CEO Ed Harty, “well your electrician needs to look at this before you startâ€

Same as most companies, its always someone else's fault!

visatorro wrote: »
    Same as most companies, its always someone else's fault!

A simple note on the drawing or the sales rep to tell me stray current could be an issue you’d want to get advice would have been enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

A simple note on the drawing or the sales rep to tell me stray current could be an issue you’d want to get advice would have been enough

I wouldn't bother breaking the concrete. Talk to electrician. You can just bond the metalwork and it would do. Maybe you could put an earth bar outside the parlour

• Advertisement

I wouldn't bother breaking the concrete. Talk to electrician. You can just bond the metalwork and it would do. Maybe you could put an earth bar outside the parlour

He’s sent me on the relevant sheet, below, that’s not what it says

524515.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

That's how ours is done, have all pillars in the shed rain back to earth bars outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

He’s sent me on the relevant sheet, below, that’s not what it says

524515.jpeg

Up to yourself like but my fathers parlour is in 50 years and it has no grid. He just bonded the metal work 10 or 15 years ago so that parlour has milked alot of cows. We built a second parlour 10 years ago and and we just welded the reinforcing bar grid onto the metalwork and poured the floor over it.

Up to yourself like but my fathers parlour is in 50 years and it has no grid. He just bonded the metal work 10 or 15 years ago so that parlour has milked alot of cows. We built a second parlour 10 years ago and and we just welded the reinforcing bar grid onto the metalwork and poured the floor over it.

It’s not up to me though. The electrician won’t sign the cert until it’s bonded as per that page, and he’s right. He gets inspected and he’s f**ked. No cert, no grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I had delaval lads installing and they ran me and concrete guy through the bonding, concrete guy welded it then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Shower of c**ts

Never trust that the builder or installer knows what he is doing or wont try to cut corners. Always do your own research first before you start a project! You are the project manager and the buck stops with you. All the info you needed was in the grant specification sheet, which I presume you got when you applied for the grant.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Never trust that the builder or installer knows what he is doing or wont try to cut corners. Always do your own research first before you start a project! You are the project manager and the buck stops with you. All the info you needed was in the grant specification sheet, which I presume you got when you applied for the grant.

No information of bonding is given in the spec sheet.

DM provides civil drawings for the parlour and cross section drawings for the passageway.
    To me earthing a building involves rods from the highest point to earth and all metal within a building. It’s really not unreasonable to expect DM to advise that over and above that is required

No information of bonding is given in the spec sheet.

DM provides civil drawings for the parlour and cross section drawings for the passageway.
    To me earthing a building involves rods from the highest point to earth and all metal within a building. It’s really not unreasonable to expect DM to advise that over and above that is required

Were DM not onsite to fit the stall work posts and the pit tray before you poured the platform?

Were DM not onsite to fit the stall work posts and the pit tray before you poured the platform?

Ya, On site to fit the kerbing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

The mesh wouldn't have been down at that stage though, that would go down after and be welded to posts and kerb edging.

• Advertisement

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    The mesh wouldn't have been down at that stage though, that would go down after and be welded to posts and kerb edging.

True but I’d expect him to mention “you need to put a wire mesh in under that”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Shower of c**ts

You re the project manager, its on you and they are only supply the parlour.so suck it up.i m amazed you didnt talk your electrican before this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Assumption is the mother of all fookups. Nothing more needed to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

True but I’d expect him to mention “you need to put a wire mesh in under that”

Ah, look. A mistake was made. Whoever was at fault, it'll still have to be sorted and unfortunately it'll be you that has to pay for it.

File it away under 'things that need to be looked at in future' and carry on, I reckon. We've all made similar mistakes and the dearest lesson learned is the best teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

Rubber floor it now with bare wire grid underneath. Better for your sanity at this stage....just takes a deep breath to get over the decision point..

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭farisfat

Ah, look. A mistake was made. Whoever was at fault, it'll still have to be sorted and unfortunately it'll be you that has to pay for it.

File it away under 'things that need to be looked at in future' and carry on, I reckon. We've all made similar mistakes and the dearest lesson learned is the best teacher.

Spot on the joys of construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

whelan2 wrote: »
    It's autumn calver calved. Year doesn't be long going around. Angus bull calf that I wont be able to sell

What do u do to try prevent milk fever at calveing ??

What do u do to try prevent milk fever at calveing ??

Bare paddock before calving. Hay or bale silage and bucket of pre calver minerals

Ya, On site to fit the kerbing

I find it quite surprising that the guys fitting the kerbing wouldn't have given you a few pointers re your part of the job and how they'd like it done when they were there in the yard.

In response to others here, obviously legally speaking, the buck stops with the farmer, but you have to remember that the farmer will usually only ever be doing this job once, DM are working on parlours every day. It's just common decency, at the end of the day it's in DM's best interest that the project in completed harmoniously. It's not exactly off to the best start now and the rest of the job will no doubt be fairly frosty now. Completely avoidable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

We have to pay for our education

Advertisement