Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you don't like that everybody else does.

• 16-04-2021 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭

I was just reading another thread about air fryers, and I saw somebody mention that they think chips are fantastic, and it made me think about the fact that I really really dont like chips, and how whenever I say this around other people, they look at me like I am some sort of monster.

I think my dislike of chips stems from being a kid and not liking the big fat greasy deep fat fryer things my mum used to make, and I used to end up hiding them all over the place so that I could pretend I'd eaten them, and therefore qualify for jelly and ice cream afterwards. But even today, if I go into a chipper and ask for a burger with no chips, they still always end up putting a scoop of greasy splodge sticks into the bag. Bleurgh!

So what do you not like that makes other people think you might be from another planet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Avocado, apparently.

Fresh avocado just tastes like eating grass to me.

Also almonds. Can't stand them or anything that tastes like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Eggs.. in all forms. A food concocted by Satan himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Beans for me, can't stand the things. Always have to say no beans when ordering a fry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Brennan's white bread. Tis muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Cats. They utterly repulse me. I have broken up with girls because they kept cats in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Social media, especially the newer Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok nonsense.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Line of Duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Brennan's white bread. Tis muck.

truth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Butter
    ...puke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mayonnaise and ketchup. Put either on my food and it'll be uneaten food.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Onions. Horrble weird looking crunchy smelly balls. Hate them. Looking at them gives me the creeps.

I think there are quite a few things that I do not do/like that many or most other people do.

But the only two that seem to rile people up for no reason they have yet been able to explain are owning a Television and doing the whole "Santa Claus" thing with my children.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    Avocado, apparently.

Fresh avocado just tastes like eating grass to me.

Also almonds. Can't stand them or anything that tastes like them.

84165132.jpg

I really don't get the apparent gra for avocado at all. Ditto with the eating grass thing.

I'm with Zaph on Mayonnaise too. Vomit inducing. I like ketchup in small doses.

People who say they prefer winter to summer. Eh... wut?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mrs brown's boys

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Football. Also Rugby. I seem to be one of the few people in the country who does not like at least one. The number of people I meet who simply cannot believe it or think it's really strange is staggering. I have many other interests which I'm very actively involved in, but because I don't sit on the couch and shout at the tv while people run around chasing a ball, makes me some sort of weirdo apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,174 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Archeron wrote: »
    I was just reading another thread about air fryers, and I saw somebody mention that they think chips are fantastic, and it made me think about the fact that I really really dont like chips, and how whenever I say this around other people, they look at me like I am some sort of monster.

I think my dislike of chips stems from being a kid and not liking the big fat greasy deep fat fryer things my mum used to make, and I used to end up hiding them all over the place so that I could pretend I'd eaten them, and therefore qualify for jelly and ice cream afterwards. But even today, if I go into a chipper and ask for a burger with no chips, they still always end up putting a scoop of greasy splodge sticks into the bag. Bleurgh!

So what do you not like that makes other people think you might be from another planet?

Hi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Another avacado hater here, it's more the texture for me, I hate mushy food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

McDonald’s and Burger King (and supermacs for that matter)

Alright in an emergency if it was the only option available but ...no, just no.

McDonald’s especially gives me an nauseous/upset stomach feeling almost any time I have stuff from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,174 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Zascar wrote: »
    Football. Also Rugby. I seem to be one of the few people in the country who does not like at least one. The number of people I meet who simply cannot believe it or think it's really strange is staggering. I have many other interests which I'm very actively involved in, but because I don't sit on the couch and shout at the tv while people run around chasing a ball, makes me some sort of weirdo apparently.

I grew up thinking soccer was a girls game :)

Bacon and cabbage. Cultural heresy and all that jazz.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Typical garden BBQ's.

A small back garden in a semi-d with too many people for too few tables and seating, awkward paper plates and plastic forks and cheap-skate food badly cooked, beers from a tin, "funny" aprons and someone's granny that needs looking after.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

When it's sunny and hot in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭sporina

I am really weird about eggs.. I like em scrambled... but I don't love em.. but I do feel v good after having them.. so I eat them from time to time..

But I almost have a kind of phobia to seeing the yolk of an egg.. like I would be uncomfortable sitting beside someone eating a boiled/poached/fried egg.. well.. I would just be sure not to look at their place..

No idea where this has come from? When I was a kid, Mum use to give us "guggies".. a boiled egg mashed up in a mug with butter and salt which i think I liked or mayb its just the nostalgia of it..

Anyone else odd with eggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Oysters and all raw fish, like in sushi with cold slimy rice.
    I love herring which is rarely in the shops. One day in Lidl I saw rolled up herring fillets in a jar, from Poland. Oh my God. They were raw and FOUL.
    However I love those little whitebait fillets in vinegar you get as appetisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

humberklog wrote: »
    Typical garden BBQ's.

A small back garden in a semi-d with too few tables and seating for too many people, awkward paper plates and plastic forks and cheap-skate food badly cooked, beers from a tin, "funny" aprons and someone's granny that needs looking after.

Irish cooking and BBQ just doesn't go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ice cream. It's too cold and sweet.
    Also chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭sporina

Cats. They utterly repulse me. I have broken up with girls because they kept cats in the house.

I don't hate them but i v much dislike them... and so many of my mates love em.. I have to be sure to keep my mouth shut..

one mate has 2 and they are like her kids.. don't like going to her house (covid sorted that for a while) as they are roaming around and cat hair on my clothes when i leave.. and i feel obliged to go "ooooh awww oh yes they are lovely" while trying not to look uncomfortable..

grr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tea......even the smell of it makes me want to puke.

Cheese...same as above - I can just about manage mozzarella on a pizza, but if ordering a pizza I'll ask for feck all cheese and if cooking a pizza at home will spend a few minutes removing as much cheese as possible before it goes into the oven. Even then there are only a couple of frozen pizzas that I can stomach, I usually end up making my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Gigs, festivals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭Archeron

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Oysters and all raw fish, like in sushi with cold slimy rice.
    I love herring which is rarely in the shops. One day in Lidl I saw rolled up herring fillets in a jar, from Poland. Oh my God. They were raw and FOUL.
    However I love those little whitebait fillets in vinegar you get as appetisers.

Sea snots . With you on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

But the only two that seem to rile people up for no reason they have yet been able to explain are owning a Television......

Is owning a television or multiple televisions not the standard? I've never not had at least two televisions in the house. Currently two televisions and a projector with 80" and great sound system in two rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Coffee.. Detest it.

Other foodstuffs would be the aforementioned Avocado, Tomatos, Turnips, Broccolli, Pasta (although I can just about tolerate that in very small doses..), Pepper and any very spicy foods such as Indian.

Cats.....definitely cats !!
    I think cats are really a love or hate thing though so that wouldn't be unusual IMO.

DJs' that play or mix others songs and call themselves musicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wine, Prosecco, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Social media is top of that long list. I use it sparingly. I think the natural order is that you don't see or hear from certain people for sizable chunks of time (or ever again) and then you catch up once in a while. Now, social media means you are continually updated on the mundanities of people's lives which are of absolutely no interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Lobster and Prawns.

Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

The word ‘mates’ instead of friends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Fairy cakes (I call them buns) - plain think lumps of stodgy with no flavour you are supposed to enjoy but they make me feel sick. Vanilla ice cream sickens me too.

highdef wrote: »
    Is owning a television or multiple televisions not the standard? I've never not had at least two televisions in the house. Currently two televisions and a projector with 80" and great sound system in two rooms.

No I mean I do _not_ own one and have not for more than 15 years. And this seems to freak some people out for - reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wine, Prosecco, etc.

Im with you on that , ive for years to try and find a wine i like .Im now of the opinion that all wine is piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

DJs' that play or mix others songs and call themselves musicians.[/QUOTE]

This so much. It's such a shame that live music is being replaced by DJ's in so many venues nowadays.
    You have people who spent years learning their craft, coming together to form a band and spending many hours working on their set replaced by some person who never wrote a song in their life and hasn’t a musical or creative bone in their body.

Michael D Higgins. Pompous little man with a vicious temper and a very high opinion of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

Beer. Yuck. The smell too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

White "wine" is an abomination on human culture.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Michael D Higgins. Pompous little man with a vicious temper and a very high opinion of himself.

I was going to post that but I said I’d be nice given it’s his birthday soon but your correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

highdef wrote: »

Not had a TV for …. around 30 years.. I was offered one here but said no; I have youtube and that is plenty for me. Only used even a radio when I had no ESB here when I was new. Silence is golden..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tea.

As I was born and raised in Lancashire where they exist on tea even more than here I was seen as a problem. They tried everything to get me to drink it.

My last memory of tea was at the hospital we had raced to when my mother had been in a road accident. They told me she was dead and gave me a cup of nasty lukewarm stewed tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Colemans Mustard. URRRGH

• Advertisement
Advertisement