Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy beside social housing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

listermint wrote: »
    Also the premise of the thread is is questionable. Because buying a new house in a new estate. You'd have no idea if the owners to the left or right of you were SDCC . You wouldn't have a clue. So there's that.

So I guess don't buy a new house at all is the thing we really need to drive home.

You said this twice and it's simply not true.

I asked the builder which houses were part V social housing when I bought a new house. It's not a secret. There was a map with pins in each social house. We had a choice, just as the thread title suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Social housing has 90% decent hard working people living there
    But the other 10%.........
    well there is your problem

It used be 10% , it’s far higher now and growing with our soft on crime government particularly outside of Dublin with an Irish ethnic group .

Even to use your figures , if there were 20 houses in an estate and 10% are bad types , those two houses and their kids will ruin the lives of the other 18 houses .

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

The Irish Times recently had an article breaking down the cost of a new build 4 bed house in Dublin.

The social housing charge levied on home buyers is crazy and unfairly targets people who buy new and not second hand homes. This is a single, one off cost lumped onto the house price, to pay for 10 -15% of houses allocated as social housing within the estate. Surely LPT is a better, more equitable mechanism to pay for this social cost?

"The application of the Part V levy – the proceeds of which are used by local authorities to develop social and affordable housing – adds an average of between €7,500 and €9,500 per unit based on the €75,000-€95,000 price of plots in the capital."

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/why-does-a-new-house-cost-what-it-does-1.4001085

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Grew up in social housing.

Am I a bad person?

Must be my degree and my wife's degree and our top rate tax jobs that make us bad.

Oh she grew up in social housing too. We own our own place now as do our parents. It was a great step start for everyone's life's.

Why do you hate people? Are you better than us ? Go on answer it be honest.

Social housing in Ireland 15-20 years ago was a different beast to that of today. Yes there are many genuine people in social housing who are good and decent people but unfortunately there are even more who are not. That is the reality of it. I left a nice private estate around 10 years ago after practically every other house was bought by the council and good for nothing junkies, layabouts and criminals were housed there. You couldn’t even leave the feckin bins out at night as they’d be stolen and that was after years of being able to leave your doors unlocked at night because it was such a safe and peaceful estate.

No I wouldn’t buy anywhere that has more than 10% dedicated to social housing and I would base my decision on whether to buy a specific house on what the neighbours looked like, whether they kept their house/garden tidy, whether they worked etc etc. after all I’m going to be paying a mortgage so I’m damn well going to make sure that I at least have good neighbours or is that too much too ask???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

There's 2 council estates where I live, one was fairly rough when I was growing up. As most of the people that caused trouble have either died, moved away or found God the estate is grand now I'd have no problem living there , but years ago , no way. The other estate I wouldnt like to live there as the council moved a few families of travellers into it and they're making it a nightmare for a lot of people . It depends on the estate really .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

The Irish Times recently had an article breaking down the cost of a new build 4 bed house in Dublin.

The social housing charge levied on home buyers is crazy and unfairly targets people who buy new and not second hand homes. This is a single, one off cost lumped onto the house price, to pay for 10 -15% of houses allocated as social housing within the estate. Surely LPT is a better, more equitable mechanism to pay for this social cost?

"The application of the Part V levy – the proceeds of which are used by local authorities to develop social and affordable housing – adds an average of between €7,500 and €9,500 per unit based on the €75,000-€95,000 price of plots in the capital."

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/why-does-a-new-house-cost-what-it-does-1.4001085

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

About 12 years ago I bought in an estate that started out nice. For about 7 - 8 years it was grand. No trouble.

5 years back new houses started to get built again after the recession halt. A large portion were sold to a housing association. Some to the council. Some affordable housing.

Over the next year or 2 things started creeping in that weren’t there before. Graffiti. Newly planted trees getting snapped. Bins set on fire. Bus shelter getting smashed up. Cars abandoned in the communal spaces. Loud music and all day parties on a Wednesday. Actually the bus shelter hadn’t been touched in 8 years. In the last year we were there it was smashed up 4 times.

We moved on.

Lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Nothing worse than a do-gooder housing association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads is it not just luck of the draw whether you end up in an estate with lots of social housing? I thought the council could randomly buy houses in any estate and make them social?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Lads is it not just luck of the draw whether you end up in an estate with lots of social housing? I thought the council could randomly buy houses in any estate and make them social?

This is true.

My estate is private and over 30 years old. Up until 3 years ago there were no social houses here but the last 5 houses that have gone up for sale have all been bought by the Council. No one has any say on these sales.

The Residents Association did ask the council for screening rights as to who the houses were given too, but the council refused on privacy grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

AulWan wrote: »
    This is true.

My estate is private and over 30 years old. Up until 3 years ago there were no social houses here but the last 5 houses that have gone up for sale have all been bought by the Council. No one has any say on these sales.

The Residents Association did ask the council for screening rights as to who the houses were given too, but the council refused on privacy grounds.

The RA had some cheek asking the council that. A private investor could have bought and let to anyone & nothing anyone can do about it. Has there been any problems from the council tenants?

The RA had some cheek asking the council that. A private investor could have bought and let to anyone & nothing anyone can do about it. Has there been any problems from the council tenants?

I agree.

Only two of the houses are near me, one directly next door, and so far I am not aware of any issues and believe me, with my neighbours, if there were any I would hear about them. They're more vigilant than phonewatch. They see eveything and seem to know everyone's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I agree.

Only two of the houses are near me, one directly next door, and so far I am not aware of any issues and believe me, with my neighbours, if there were any I would hear about them. They're more vigilant than phonewatch. They see eveything and seem to know everyone's business.

As many have said, the vast majority of tenants whether council or private are no different to home owners in how they live day to day.

Anti social behaviour otoh is a problem imo and should be sorted out asap by whoever is responsible, council or private landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Social housing in Ireland 15-20 years ago was a different beast to that of today. Yes there are many genuine people in social housing who are good and decent people but unfortunately there are even more who are not. That is the reality of it. I left a nice private estate around 10 years ago after practically every other house was bought by the council and good for nothing junkies, layabouts and criminals were housed there. You couldn’t even leave the feckin bins out at night as they’d be stolen and that was after years of being able to leave your doors unlocked at night because it was such a safe and peaceful estate.

No I wouldn’t buy anywhere that has more than 10% dedicated to social housing and I would base my decision on whether to buy a specific house on what the neighbours looked like, whether they kept their house/garden tidy, whether they worked etc etc. after all I’m going to be paying a mortgage so I’m damn well going to make sure that I at least have good neighbours or is that too much too ask???

Do social housing recipients not deserve good neighbours? What does paying a mortgage have to do with it? Paying a mortgage means putting money into something you can sell. You sound like you’re getting nothing out of paying a mortgage over a social housing tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

Do social housing recipients not deserve good neighbours? What does paying a mortgage have to do with it? Paying a mortgage means putting money into something you can sell. You sound like you’re getting nothing out of paying a mortgage over a social housing tenant.

Paying a mortgage gives me the dignity of providing for myself without depending on handouts financed by the work of others.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Paying a mortgage gives me the dignity of providing for myself without depending on handouts financed by the work of others.

Many of those who live in social housing are also working and contribute accordingly - they may not be high earners or qualify for a mortgage, but they are working and deserve the same respect and have as much dignity as anyone else.

Horrible attitude.

I hope it keeps fine for you, and you never find yourself at the wrong end of a job loss, a seperation, with a serious illness..... or crippled financially by the next recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Also the premise of the thread is is questionable. Because buying a new house in a new estate. You'd have no idea if the owners to the left or right of you were SDCC . You wouldn't have a clue. So there's that.

So I guess don't buy a new house at all is the thing we really need to drive home.

You said this twice and it's simply not true.

I asked the builder which houses were part V social housing when I bought a new house. It's not a secret. There was a map with pins in each social house. We had a choice, just as the thread title suggests.

Wasn't aware you got to meet the builder when buying a house, usually just the estate agent?

Many of those who live in social housing are also working and contribute accordingly - they may not be high earners or quality the banking requirements for a mortgage, but they are working and deserve the same respect and have as much dignity as anyone else.

Horrible attitude.

I hope it keeps fine for you, and you never find yourself at the wrong end of a job loss, a seperation, with a serious illness..... or crippled financially by the next recession.

So moving through life and aiming to providing for myself is a ‘horrible attitude’. Really? It’s yiur sort of entitlement attitude that gives rise to the problems referred to in this thread.

BTW, I didn’t comment on anyone in socia housing in my post, I stated what paying a mortgage gives me, but your post says a lot more about you than mine says about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wow, that mortgage sounds amazing... Mine just gave me a home way cheaper than I could rent it for.. (and I feel lucky to have it, negative equity be damned)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

So moving through life and aiming to providing for myself is a ‘horrible attitude’. Really? It’s yiur sort of entitlement attitude that gives rise to the problems referred to in this thread.

BTW, I didn’t comment on anyone in socia housing in my post, I stated what paying a mortgage gives me, but your post says a lot more about you than mine says about me.

No, looking down on people who are not as well off as you, is a horrible attitude.

Your post says everything about you, and you're not someone I'd want as a neighbour.

My entitlement attitude? I own my own home, and work full time, and have since I was 17 years old. The difference between you and me, is I don't look down on other people because they don't have a mortgage.

• Advertisement

No, looking down on people who are not as well off as you, is a horrible attitude.

Your post says everything about you, and you're not someone I'd want as a neighbour.

My entitlement attitude? I own my own home, and work full time, and have since I was 17 years old. The difference between you and me, is I don't look down on other people because they don't have a mortgage.

The difference between me and you is your ability to read / interpret things that weren’t actually written, but don’t worry, you won’t have me as a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Maybe to the likes of you but to me I was buying a home to live in and not for investment. I lost €28k on my home because I wasn’t prepared to stay in the area any longer and so I cut my losses, I had to take a loan out to pay off the mortgage and all because I had absolutely scumbags living on both sides of me who made my life a misery.

And what sort of a stupid question is ‘what does paying a mortgage have to do with it?’ I was paying almost €1000 a month and the dole scrounging scumbags next door were paying nothing for an identical house. I think my paying a grand a month at least warrants the right to some decent quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No.

The difference between me and you is your ability to read / interpret things that weren’t actually written, but don’t worry, you won’t have me as a neighbour.

Thankfully.

I'd rather the very nice people who happen to be council tenants that live next door, then a snob, any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

this is about the 300th iteration of this thread we've had this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Thankfully.

I'd rather the very nice people who happen to be council tenants that live next door, then a snob, any day.

Wow! Snobs come in so many guises these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Thankfully.

The Council tenants are first out to protest if a halting site is proposed for near their estate so stop trying to pretend they are perfect

Edgware wrote: »
    The Council tenants are first out to protest if a halting site is proposed for near their estate so stop trying to pretend they are perfect

No one said they were all perfect. But they do not deserve the constant put downs they get on this forum, either.

Managing to get a bank to give you a mortgage does not make you a better person then anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

this is about the 300th iteration of this thread we've had this year.
    Yep, stangely the answers are always the same, bashing and more bashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

votecounts wrote: »
    Yep, stangely the answers are always the same, bashing and more bashing

Don't forget the circular arguments where people deliberately misinterpret each others posts. Good craic.

Advertisement