Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy beside social housing?

Options
  • 06-09-2019 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

Well, would you?

Say you're in the market for a house and you've worked hard and saved for years to finally put down a deposit on a nice new 3 bed in a lovely new estate for you and your family, only to find out that the houses either side of you have been bought by the council for social housing use. What would you do?

Be honest.

Me, I would be looking elsewhere. I had this conversation with some friends recently and they were all in agreement, the risk of bad tenants is just too great. What do boardsies think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Elessar wrote: »
    Well, would you?

Say you're in the market for a house and you've worked hard and saved for years to finally put down a deposit on a nice new 3 bed in a lovely new estate for you and your family, only to find out that the houses either side of you have been bought by the council for social housing use. What would you do?

Be honest.

Me, I would be looking elsewhere. I had this conversation with some friends recently and they were all in agreement, the risk of bad tenants is just too great. What do boardsies think?

Grew up in social housing.

Am I a bad person?

Must be my degree and my wife's degree and our top rate tax jobs that make us bad.

Oh she grew up in social housing too. We own our own place now as do our parents. It was a great step start for everyone's life's.

Why do you hate people? Are you better than us ? Go on answer it be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

no choice if you're buying a new build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Social housing in more recent times is often rewarding people who never did a days work in their life and expect the state to fund their family’s life’s . Drugs and crime are also common problems .

Meanwhile you work all your life and pay your way and have exactly the same house as these people .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Bought in a mostly private owned and settled ex corporation estate and very few problems, in fact there is a nice sense of community. Would I buy a new build not knowing how much of it will be sold to me council and who will move in? Not a chance.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Social housing in more recent times is often rewarding people who never did a days work in their life and expect the state to fund their family’s life’s . Drugs and crime are also common problems .

Meanwhile you work all your life and pay your way and have exactly the same house as these people .

Ya any facts on this ?

Il presume you are aware that the overall majority of people living in social housing work have jobs and contribute. Or maybe your just a I'll informed Person.

That's ok but just admit it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Bought in a mostly private owned and settled ex corporation estate and very few problems, in fact there is a nice sense of community. Would I buy a new build not knowing how much of it will be sold to me council and who will move in? Not a chance.

Am I right in saying it needs to be at least 30%? thought I read that but could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

listermint wrote: »

Am I a bad person?

Must be my degree and my wife's degree and our top rate tax jobs that make us bad.

Oh she grew up in social housing too. We own our own place now as do our parents. It was a great step start for everyone's life's.

I also grew up in social housing. And had the pleasure to live in social housing again in several areas as an adult with my wife.

I wouldn’t buy directly adjacent a council estate. For every normal decent family living there, there are absolute scumbags who are above the law to contend with.

We left social housing after we got tired of having our windows being stoned, our things being set on fire, our letterbox being stuffed with fireworks, our council neighbours above us bringing back the contents of the pub at closing time for a Skanger party complete with full DJ at 4 am during weekdays REGULARLY, the constant drug dealings and drugs related fueds going on outside, men on ladders smashing all the street lights at night and the cameras, people getting the absolute crap knocked out of them outside my front door, police refusing to come, drug dealer neighbors having their house smashed up, being threatened at knife point by another neighbour for asking him to lower his hard house music which was at nightclub levels regularly, people fly tipping in my garden, robbed cars being burnt out in front of the house, car windows and mirrors being smashed regularly, not being able to go outside when it’s dark, the list goes on and on and unless you lived it you wouldn’t believe the half of what went on.

The question isn’t about hate, it’s about wanting to live with decent people who have a sense of community and social responsibility, and while the majority of council tenants are just that, the ratio of Scumbag and drug dealer to normal people is too high in council areas. The government is a large scale enabler of these social issues. They can do what they want without repercussions and you have to suck it up and go to work, in order to keep funding their Skangers lifestyles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

And people who physically can’t work? Or have a debilitating illness which restricts their ability to work full time and be eligible for a mortgage? Or maybe one of their kids is severely disabled and they have to provide full time care for them? I’ll say one thing about threads like this, it never ceases to amaze me the number of snobby reprobates that post on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Am I a bad person?

The SJW rage is strong with this one.

Calm down. Don't make assumptions about me, I don't hate anyone. I am simply asking a question (which you didn't answer). I have family who also grew up in social housing. But my own experience of some of the people who get placed into these housing units is worse than my experience of those who do not. That is just my experience. Based on that, and not knowing who could possibly live next to me from this group, I would not buy a house next to council housing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It's a simple question.

armaghlad wrote: »
    And people who physically can’t work? Or have a debilitating illness which restricts their ability to work full time and be eligible for a mortgage? Or maybe one of their kids is severely disabled and they have to provide full time care for them? I’ll say one thing about threads like this, it never ceases to amaze me the number of snobby reprobates that post on boards

Don't worry the amount of inverted snobs cancels them out.

• Advertisement

I also grew up in social housing. And had the pleasure to live in social housing again in several areas as an adult with my wife.

I wouldn’t by buy directly adjacent a council estate. For every normal decent family living there, there are absolute scumbags who are above the law to contend with.

We left social housing after we got tired of having our windows being stoned, our things being set on fire, our letterbox being stuffed with fireworks, our council neighbours above us bringing back the contents of the pub at closing time for a Skanger party complete with full DJ at 4 am during weekdays REGULARLY, the constant drug dealings and drugs related fuels going on outside including - men on ladders smashing all the street lights at night and the cameras, People getting the absolute crap knocked out of them outside my front door, police refusing to come, drug dealer neighbors having their house smashed up, being threatened at knife point by another neighbour for asking him to lower his hard house music which was at nightclub levels regularly, people fly tipping in my bloody garden, robbed cars being burnt out in front of the house, the list goes on and on.

The question isn’t about hate, it’s about wanting to live with decent people who have a sense of community and social responsibility, and while the majority of council tenants are just that, the ratio of Scumbag and drug dealer to normal people is too high incouncil areas. They can do what they want without repercussions and you have to suck it up and go to work, in order to keep funding their Skangers lifestyles.

That's gas because alot of drug dealers live in private estates. And our neighbors in the last private estate used to blare Neil diamond at all hours once a month. She was a middle aged teaching assistant divorcee. No talking to her.

She paid for her house in full.

She's what you'd call good stock I suppose.

And there was another drug dealer shot in the head as he came out of his parents house. Bang bang. Ran a drug business from his das company. Good stock the family. Idiot son.

Private estate well off. South Dublin.

Mad isn't it. How these things aren't restricted to social housing areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No, I would not. Given the choice, why would anyone take that chance?

Now, I'd better get back to my top rate tax job.

The SJW rage is strong with this one.

Calm down. Don't make assumptions about me, I don't hate anyone. I am simply asking a question (which you didn't answer). I have family who also grew up in social housing. But my own experience of some of the people who get placed into these housing units is worse than my experience of those who do not. That is just my experience. Based on that, and not knowing who could possibly live next to me from this group, I would not buy a house next to council housing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It's a simple question.

It's a deliberate wind up thread. There's one a week. You think you are clever but it's boring.

Just pointing that out. Everyone's entitled to their opinion as they say

SJW rage ? Listen pal. I know you've scanned he internet and come up with new interesting words to call people but it doesn't make you any less boring.

.....I know what Ill do... Il start a thread on social housing in hours. That's refreshing.

Lol.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Am I right in saying it needs to be at least 30%? thought I read that but could be wrong

I thought it was 10% but tbh I haven't really a clue :)

The only thing I do know is if they can't shift um the flog loads to the council.

I thought it was 10% but tbh I haven't really a clue :)

The only thing I do know is if they can't shift um the flog loads to the council.

It's whatever percentage is enough to bring rage to the OP.

They number . Argghhh working people getting 'free houses' argghhh grrrrr

That's gas because alot of drug dealers live in private estates. And our neighbors in the last private estate used to blare Neil diamond at all hours once a month. She was a middle aged teaching assistant divorcee. No talking to her.

She paid for her house in full.

She's what you'd call good stock I suppose.

And there was another drug dealer shot in the head as he came out of his parents house. Bang bang. Ran a drug business from his das company. Good stock the family. Idiot son.

Private estate well off. South Dublin.

Mad isn't it. How these things aren't restricted to social housing areas.

Yes they do live in private areas, that doesn’t negate anything I’ve said.

The low level dealers and scum that actually sell and handle the stuff, including the kids they recruit are predominantly in social housing areas.

I worked very hard to get out of those areas, not a chance after saving for years for a deposit I’d be moving back into the same areas.

Too many animals living there. I was attacked once for wearing a suit going to an interview ffs. “ Look at yer man wearing trousers he thinks he’s great” Que bottle in the head for me. Yeah no thanks you can shove your faux virtue signalling. There’s a reason people work hard to get out of these sink estate kips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Maybe you should get a better job and build a house somewhere you wouldn't have these worries. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Well, would you?

Be honest.

Nah don’t want to live next to lazy scum for the most part

Yes they do live in private areas, that doesn’t negate anything I’ve said.

The low level dealers and scum that actually sell and handle the stuff, including the kids they recruit are predominantly in social housing areas.

I worked very hard to get out of those areas, not a chance after saving for years for a deposit I’d be moving back into the same areas.

Too many animals living there. I was attacked once for wearing a suit going to an interview ffs. “ Look at yer man wearing trousers he thinks he’s great” Que bottle in the head for me. Yeah no thanks you can shove your faux virtue signalling. There’s a reason people work hard to get out of these sink estate kips.

SJW , check

Virtue signalling, check.

Your really winning this internet prize today. Keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

armaghlad wrote: »

Its not unreasonable that people who work hard, save a big deposit and take on a life long mortgage should expect that they would have a quiet life and not have to put up with wasters, dirtbirds disrupting their lifestyle.
    The thousands of decent people living in social housing have to put up with criminal behavior, public disorder etc from the usual scruff because the council take years to act. Its not snobbery to try and avoid this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, I would not. Given the choice, why would anyone take that chance?

Now, I'd better get back to my top rate tax job.
    +1 This tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

SJW , check

Fantastic counter argument

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Fantastic counter argument

Who needs to counter when someone straight away drifts to name calling.

It's not a credible starting point for a debate.

Why bother.

SJW , check

I’m the one who made actual points pertinent to the topic instead of just trying to wind people up like you are. How about you make a rational argument as to why you think hard working people paying through their noses for their houses should have to contend with the type of council estate antisocial behaviour I illustrated ?

I gave you a list of examples of stuff I had to deal with living in your wonderful council estates. How about you tell me why those examples are ok, as you say “drug dealers live on the south’s side too”, how is that a counter argument?

I’m the one who made actual points pertinent to the topic instead of just trying to wind people up like you are. How about you make a rational argument as to why you think hard working people paying through their noses for their houses should have to contend with the type of council estate antisocial behaviour I illustrated ?

I gave you a list of examples of stuff I had to deal with living in your wonderful council estates. How about you tell me why those examples are ok, as you say “drug dealers live on the south’s side too”, how is that a counter argument?

How about you don't use terms like virtue signalling it makes a mockery of the points you raised.

I already gave points as to why social housing is good. I'm an example of it.

So why do I need a counter argument?

You ignored what I said in my OP but sure look that's obvious you got your name calling in.

Also the premise of the thread is is questionable. Because buying a new house in a new estate. You'd have no idea if the owners to the left or right of you were SDCC . You wouldn't have a clue. So there's that.

So I guess don't buy a new house at all is the thing we really need to drive home.

Your quite an angry individual.

Do you let these experiences design your life? I told you my neighbor was a bint for her all night parties.

I've been attacked in an upmarket area by feral kids in their teens all from well off families.

Your experiences are not limited to those areas.Nor do I wine about them and take them with me everywhere I go.

**** happens.

My point stands. You wouldn't have a clue if the houses had tenants in them or owners. So your prejudices wouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Would I buy a new build not knowing how much of it will be sold to me council and who will move in? Not a chance.

Buying in a new build estate has never appealed to me.
    The sense of community that comes as part and parcel of older and more settled estates is lost, and given the attitudes displayed by many people...
    It is unfortunately not likely to ever be built when people are wondering whether their neighbours are social tenants and feeling a little resentful that they are getting a cheap home whilst "we" worked hard for ours.

I grew up on a council estate, and after returning home from a few years abroad in the early 00's my partner and I lived in a council property for a few years, indeed our son's 1st him was a council bungalow before we bought our house.

The old model of giant local authority estates is ghettoisation.
    Social mobility is best fostered by raising standards and integration.
    Not by isolation and labelling.

banie01 wrote: »
    Buying in a new build estate has never appealed to me.
    The sense of community that comes as part and parcel of older and more settled estates is lost, and given the attitudes displayed by many people...
    It is unfortunately not likely to ever be built when people are wondering whether their neighbours are social tenants and feeling a little resentful that they are getting a cheap home whilst "we" worked hard for ours.

I grew up on a council estate, and after returning home from a few years abroad in the early 00's my partner and I lived in a council property for a few years, indeed our son's 1st him was a council bungalow before we bought our house.

The old model of giant local authority estates is ghettoisation.
    Social mobility is best fostered by raising standards and integration.
    Not by isolation and labelling.

Spot on.

Bingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No way.
    Social housing on the 70’s was a place where decent hard working people got access to affordable housing.

Fast forward to today and an huge proportion of people in social housing are a bunch of degenerate entitled knackers with no respect for themselves never mind anyone unfortunate enough to be living beside them.

I’m not saying all, but it’s a huge number and the risk of ending up beside them and them making life a misery along with destroying the value of your house are too high.

Advertisement