Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royal visit Cork

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's a bit of a coincidence that the week they visit is the same week the Government commits to continuing to try to get the British torture of the Hooded Men recognised.. a lot of the 'moving on' being done is just turning a blind eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Don't mention the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Is that the Hi-B in the background?

You obviously don't know Cork very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Really lads? They were kids ffs, excited about meeting someone famous.

Are you really surprised? This place is a platform for angry hermit folk. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Kind of conflicted about it. On the one hand, glad to see friendliness between the two nations, we've moved on and thank Christ. Don't really care about the royals but no bad feelings towards them.

On the other hand, I work in the English Market and it was such a pain in the hole. Garda vetting, deep cleaning, needed photo id to get in yesterday (I actually took the day off and let my colleague who was very interested take the shift).

So, swings and roundabouts.

Is that you Mairead? :p

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Kind of conflicted about it. On the one hand, glad to see friendliness between the two nations, we've moved on and thank Christ. Don't really care about the royals but no bad feelings towards them.

On the other hand, I work in the English Market and it was such a pain in the hole. Garda vetting, deep cleaning, needed photo id to get in yesterday (I actually took the day off and let my colleague who was very interested take the shift).

So, swings and roundabouts.

I would have thought both the Queen and now Prince Charles visiting the English Market is fantastic publicity for the market as a place to visit. I'd never even heard of the place prior to the Queen visiting there in 2011, but then it went viral with all the photos and videos and especially of the Queen with the fishmonger guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The only hope I have is that Prince Charles at nearly 70 will outive that crazy aged mother of his and take his place in history as King Charles III.

He's a good guy, Charles. Raised those boys very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The whole Royal family thing is a bit mad in this day and age all the same...the lunatics think they have blue blood!

They didn't meet a load of Cork people or Kerry people or even Irish people, as far as they are concerned they met a load of commoners like they do every day....

Their importance, like the Kardashians, exists only in media, and in the minds of simple folk...I suppose commoners isn't a bad description really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

The really sad thing is what a waste of money it was. To see the folks stuck on a bed in hallways looking for treatment in the CUH and the likes is awful.

The only **** are the ones who asked them over. Fair enough if they came themselfs, it wouldn't bother me as much.

Also to ask O'L Charlie with his past in the north was low. Why not ask the younger royals and start a clean slate?

To finish up, He would hardly say hi to the locals nor smile and ill keep this short The biggest Langher was the guy in the market again.(You know the fella)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rebel county my ar$e.

They love the British royals down there so they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just out of curiosity, where did they overnight?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

yeah they did

It probably wasn't revealed for security reasons. I'm guessing it would have been some country estate and large house in Co.Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GowlBagJohnson

Rebel county me hole!

Sure the only rebel they had they shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Strazdas wrote: »
    It probably wasn't revealed for security reasons. I'm guessing it would have been some country estate and large house in Co.Cork.

I'd hazard a guess at lismore castle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

think they stayed here

http://ballyvolanehouse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

think they stayed here

http://ballyvolanehouse.ie/

Yep-rumour had it they were based there for the cork/Kerry leg of the tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The only hope I have is that Prince Charles at nearly 70 will outive that crazy aged mother of his and take his place in history as King Charles III.

He's a good guy, Charles. Raised those boys very well.

Good mate of Jimmy Savile’s too.

dotsman wrote: »
    So a GAA-obsessed guy and a dedicated IRA-supporter start a thread about how they can't understand why Irish people want to live in the 21st century and behave in a civilised manner with our nearest neighbour.

Ah, yes, requesting that the Irish behave in a "civilised manner" to the British royalist cult which in 2018 solidly maintains all its Irish-hating, institutionally sectarian bigotry. Your response: why can't you Paddys accept it all and stop complaining? How, eh, English of you.

There really should be a "1970's retarded bogger" forum where certain "people" with certain "views" can spew all the hatred and bull**** they want, and leave the rest of us alone.

Ah the ubiquitous "rest of us". In fairness, look at that rage (to be polite) from you on screen... you clearly have no reticence when it comes to spewing hate-filled "views" against Irish Ireland and Irish independence while proffering nauseating apologias of British rule in this country. Well done.

Most people have moved on, thankfully. They don't want to go back to the bad old days.
    Heaven forbid we try to foster better relations between the two countries from hereon in. I mean, why bother when we can just keep the old hatreds alive, eh?
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    Why do the armchair republicans, stuck in their hatreds and in circa 1975, get so het up about this?
    We have moved on.

Ah, the crazy, the absurd, the "You cannot be serious" hilarity of "We've moved on!" "Those Irish are stuck in their hatreds" lectures to the Irish from people who in 2018 are sympathetic to the continuing existence of - where do I start with this one? - an institutionally sectarian, blood-based, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic, anti-republican, decidedly medieval (with some outstandingly rabid sectarian legislative twists from the late 17th and early 18th centuries) anti-modern, British monarchy. Live, right here in 2018. In terms of "hatred" and "bigotry", the utterly massive British elephant in this very small room - and you give out to the Irish mouse who objects to it about "living in the past" and not "moving on":

Ah but isn't it "tradition" for its defenders when the British have an egregious institution, the British crown, of unadulterated veritable bigotry whose flag, of all flags, has flown freely each time the Irish have been suppressed in their struggle for freedom throughout the centuries. "Forget that, Paddy, and just pretend the British crown in 2018 has become all inclusive, meritocratic, secular and all the rest."

Nah, nothing admirable whatsoever in the British crown and the uniquely repugnant history of Hibernophobia that it represents from Mullaghmast to Derry (oh but didn't Her Majesty name her pet budgie "Patrick" - bucket, please). Up the Republic, republicanism, democracy, meritocracy and secular states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ah, yes, requesting that the Irish behave in a "civilised manner" to the British royalist cult which in 2018 solidly maintains all its Irish-hating, institutionally sectarian bigotry. Your response: why can't you Paddys accept it all and stop complaining? How, eh, English of you.

Ah the ubiquitous "rest of us". In fairness, look at that rage (to be polite) from you on screen... you clearly have no reticence when it comes to spewing hate-filled "views" against Irish Ireland and Irish independence while proffering nauseating apologias of British rule in this country. Well done.

Not sure what exactly you are saying here. I think you are saying that Charles and Camilla hate Irish people and the most Irish people aren't Irish.

On that note, I don't think there is any point talking to you. Enjoy your misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not sure what exactly you are saying here. I think you are saying that Charles and Camilla hate Irish people and the most Irish people aren't Irish.

On that note, I don't think there is any point talking to you. Enjoy your misery.

He's just disappointed other people don't like the Wolfe Tones as much as he does.
    I think he'd be happiest in an insular Irish version of North Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I said in the "let's all support England" (in the world cup) thread, this anti-Brit stuff that continually surfaces in this country is ridiculous.

Most Irish people spend their evenings watching English soaps and reality TV, support English football clubs at the weekend, buy tonnes of stuff in English shops... And yet whenever there's a visit from the royals, or the national squad is playing, or the Brexit situation, or the recent wedding, all the armchair republicans come out spouting shyte.

I'd wager most of them weren't even around to experience the Troubles.. the checkpoints, the attacks, the hatred (from both sides) in the North. That's right.. Both sides committed atrocities in the name of religion and politics! And before the "but.. but.. 800 years" stuff starts again, maybe go read some history - stronger nations taking what they wanted by force and occupation WAS politics in those days and pretty much every major European power was at it.

We have a lot more in common with our UK neighbours than we do with most of Europe or the USA anyway, and I think this will become more apparent after Brexit is concluded and we find ourselves very much alone in Brussels - unless ye really think Leo's (and Enda before him) Good Boys of Europe routine will actually pay off :rolleyes:

Time to get over the nonsense and bigotry folks. There's more to a genuine peace than just putting down the guns and the bombs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    We have a lot more in common with our UK neighbours than we do with most of Europe or the USA anyway, and I think this will become more apparent after Brexit is concluded and we find ourselves very much alone in Brussels - unless ye really think Leo's (and Enda before him) Good Boys of Europe routine will actually pay off :rolleyes:

Most Irish people it seems actually believe this FG line.

The usual thing when you warn of where we are going post-Brexit is 'but look at all the money Europe put into Ireland'. It is a childlike naive belief in the possibility of a free lunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Most people have moved on, thankfully. They don't want to go back to the bad old days.
    Heaven forbid we try to foster better relations between the two countries from hereon in. I mean, why bother when we can just keep the old hatreds alive, eh?
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    Why do the armchair republicans, stuck in their hatreds and in circa 1975, get so het up about this?
    We have moved on.

Ah, the crazy, the absurd, the "You cannot be serious" hilarity of "We've moved on!" "Those Irish are stuck in their hatreds" lectures to the Irish from people who in 2018 are sympathetic to the continuing existence of - where do I start with this one? - an institutionally sectarian, blood-based, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic, anti-republican, decidedly medieval (with some outstandingly rabid sectarian legislative twists from the late 17th and early 18th centuries) anti-modern, British monarchy. Live, right here in 2018. In terms of "hatred" and "bigotry", the utterly massive British elephant in this very small room - and you give out to the Irish mouse who objects to it about "living in the past" and not "moving on":

Ah but isn't it "tradition" for its defenders when the British have an egregious institution, the British crown, of unadulterated veritable bigotry whose flag, of all flags, has flown freely each time the Irish have been suppressed in their struggle for freedom throughout the centuries. "Forget that, Paddy, and just pretend the British crown in 2018 has become all inclusive, meritocratic, secular and all the rest."

Nah, nothing admirable whatsoever in the British crown and the uniquely repugnant history of Hibernophobia that it represents from Mullaghmast to Derry (oh but didn't Her Majesty name her pet budgie "Patrick" - bucket, please). Up the Republic, republicanism, democracy, meritocracy and secular states.
    You show no respect to our institutions of which the Monarchy is one. I think that tells us everything. Get over it already. Our Queen laid a wreath at the Irish remembrance garden for those who fought against the UK. The Royal Family has lead from the front on this reconciliation between the United Kingdom and the Irish Republic.

Taytoland wrote: »
    You show no respect to our institutions of which the Monarchy is one. I think that tells us everything. Get over it already. Our Queen laid a wreath at the Irish remembrance garden for those who fought against the UK. The Royal Family has lead from the front on this reconciliation between the United Kingdom and the Irish Republic.

Why would anyone have any respect for an unelected head of state?

Some of us are more in to democracy.

Zebra3 wrote: »

They have free elections over there, last time I looked.

Funny that no-one whinges, pisses and moans about monarchies in other European countries. Belgium, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Denmark etc.

Why would anyone have any respect for an unelected head of state?

If the head of state is there because the people of that country want that person to be head of state, then they are there democratically. Democracy doesn't always involve ticking a box on a ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Funny that no-one whinges, pisses and moans about monarchies in other European countries. Belgium, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Denmark etc.

Because nobody here has a clue about them, and they don't hop up in our media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Odhinn wrote: »

Because nobody here has a clue about them, and they don't hop up in our media.
    Because people are interested in them, they sell papers and clicks. They have over a thousand years of history. It's fascinating history.

• Advertisement

There are free elections in Britain to the lower house of parliament. The head of state is not democractically elected and for some reason people who claim to be democrats love this.

I find it odd not just about Britain, but about e other countries and more ohiuce listed.

Bizarre that people makes excuses for it all.

There are free elections in Britain to the lower house of parliament. The head of state is not democractically elected and for some reason people who claim to be democrats love this.

I find it odd not just about Britain, but about e other countries and more ohiuce listed.

What's the obsession with elections? To say that any country that has an unelected head of state is not a democracy is patently nonsense.....it would only be undemocratic if the there was any evidence the country didn't want that head of state and wanted rid of them.

Also, the people who often go on about what democracy is are often not very democratic themselves. "It's my way or the highway" is frequently their (unspoken) motto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The queen has no political power. she is a figurehead only. She doesn't impinge on the democratic process. that is probably why.

The queen has no political power. she is a figurehead only. She doesn't impinge on the democratic process. that is probably why.

Yep, people can't seem to wrap their heads around this.

We have a Seanad which is not chosen by the people, got a problem with that at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yep, people can't seem to wrap their heads around this.

We have a Seanad which is not chosen by the people, got a problem with that at all?

I've a big problem with it and don't vote in the elections for it though I'm "entitled" to, and I voted to abolish it, it's archaic and classist and a sinful waste of money.

During my period of abstention Ronan fcuking Mullen got a platform from it though. Damned you do damned you don't.

I've a big problem with it and don't vote in the elections for it though I'm "entitled" to, and I voted to abolish it, it's archaic and classist and a sinful waste of money.

During my period of abstention Ronan fcuking Mullen got a platform from it though. Damned you do damned you don't.

People got their say to abolish it. Democracy's a bitch when it doesn't go your way.

People got their say to abolish it. Democracy's a bitch when it doesn't go your way.

Abolition wasn't what was needed - although I'm sure it would have suited the Government at the time. What was needed was to reform it.

But Enda decided that wasn't an option - scrap it or keep it. Thankfully most people recognised that it's very important to have some sort of check on the Dail

Strazdas wrote: »
    What's the obsession with elections? To say that any country that has an unelected head of state is not a democracy is patently nonsense.....it would only be undemocratic if the there was any evidence the country didn't want that head of state and wanted rid of them.

Also, the people who often go on about what democracy is are often not very democratic themselves. "It's my way or the highway" is frequently their (unspoken) motto.

Who said Britain wasn’t a democracy? I merely pointed out that the British head of state is selected through an undemocratic process. And it’s a bit hypocritical for so-called democrats to support that.

Just because you don’t like that doesn’t mean you should be making stuff up to distract from it.

The British monarch has loads of political power. No bill can become an act of law without her consent.

The British monarch has loads of political power. No bill can become an act of law without her consent.

In theory this in true. In practice it is not. No monarch has refused to give royal assent to an act of parliament for more than 300 years

• Advertisement

In theory this in true. In practice it is not. No monarch has refused to give royal assent to an act of parliament for more than 300 years

There is a large statue of Cromwell outside Westminster to remind Monarchs what happens when you cross parliament

Aegir wrote: »
    There is a large statue of Cromwell outside Westminster to remind Monarchs what happens when you cross parliament

Indeed. the monarchy knows their place.

Indeed. the monarchy knows their place.

She certainly does. Living in huge palaces and castles with all her servants waiting on her, with an unimaginable amount of wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

She certainly does. Living in huge palaces and castles with all her servants waiting on her, with an unimaginable amount of wealth.

Sure, she has her money. Charles I wasn't poor either, but he was minus his head when he pushed his politics too far.

I don't think I'd trade though... Wealth without the freedom to enjoy it doesn't sound too appealing.

Their entire lives are mapped out and scrutinised by the press/public. They spend much of their time attending to State functions and duties, most of which are probably tedious as hell.

Unlike politicians, there's not really a way out... wouldn't be for me.

Advertisement