Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options
19596979899101»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,174 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

AvyStreet wrote: »
    Clarkson was nothing special. Any of the not particularly good comedy came from the shows writers. Evans will easily outshine him if he has the same team.

and who were these writers? you would think they would get a credit on imdb for all of their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Cienciano wrote: »
    Did you read the article?

"destroyed"?

I should look into destroying my career

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Clarkson was nothing special. Any of the not particularly good comedy came from the shows writers. Evans will easily outshine him if he has the same team.

It would be nice to think he has been though a lesson and that it does impact one his career, you are missing a very subtle point about his popularity, his persona is designed to appeal to the type who think health and safety etc ( feminization of work, greens, anything lefty ) are ruining society and stopping all the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mariaalice wrote: »
    It would be nice to think he has been though a lesson and that it does impact one his career, you are missing a very subtle point about his popularity, his persona is designed to appeal to the type who think health and safety etc ( feminization of work, greens, anything lefty ) are ruining society and stopping all the fun.

I think people see him as a parody, but it has worn thin now.

I'm looking forward to the new shows,I won't miss him at all.

I'll miss James though,I like captain slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... his persona is designed to appeal to the type who think health and safety etc ( feminization of work, greens, anything lefty ) are ruining society and stopping all the fun.
    I think you meant that he is the king of the yobs.

Despite his oafish behaviour in the incident with Tymon, I think that most of us can see that Clarkson is very bright, and has the capability of being very funny. Yes, I agree that he has created a persona, one that nurtures yobbishness.

Then the wind changed, and the pretend monster became a real monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think you meant that he is the king of the yobs.

Despite his oafish behaviour in the incident with Tymon, I think that most of us can see that Clarkson is very bright, and has the capability of being very funny. Yes, I agree that he has created a persona, one that nurtures yobbishness.

Then the wind changed, and the pretend monster became a real monster.

I do think he is funny and I did watch the program, for him it is a persona he puts it on it is the the media after all, however I would be uneasy with the subtle pandering that the media promotes but that seems to a wider cultural issue of which he is but one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AvyStreet

and who were these writers? you would think they would get a credit on imdb for all of their work.

Richard Porter is one. There's a team of writers for most TV productions. Top gear does have such a team.

I imagine the hulksters monologues about the ultimate warrior for example were scripted by writers rather than genuinely spontaneous thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He can't win. The complaint up to now has been that the show suffered because it became too scripted.

Listed as the script editors for the top gear show are the main trio.

Richard Porter is one. There's a team of writers for most TV productions. Top gear does have such a team.

I imagine the hulksters monologues about the ultimate warrior for example were scripted by writers rather than genuinely spontaneous thoughts.

Richard Porter was script editor/supervisor. Top Gear did not have a big team of writers. All of the in-studio pieces were done by the presenters themselves. They are all journalists after all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8597628/The-secret-life-of-Top-Gear.html

Comparing Top Gear with WWE? LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Richard Porter was script editor/supervisor. Top Gear did not have a big team of writers. All of the in-studio pieces were done by the presenters themselves. They are all journalists after all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8597628/The-secret-life-of-Top-Gear.html

Pretty apt in fairness. The driving is real but the finish of their 'competitions' are predetermined. They are playing characters. The attempts at comedy are often cringeworthy and the acting is terrible.

Your man, Oisin did very well in this situation. He kept a low profile and showed class throughout....unlike some of the others. Well done to him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I do think he is funny and I did watch the program, for him it is a persona he puts it on it is the the media after all, however I would be uneasy with the subtle pandering that the media promotes but that seems to a wider cultural issue of which he is but one example.

In one of the few shows I watched, the one with Michael Fassbender, he made a joke about Irish people being lazy, but it was fine, just a bit of banter, the persona he puts on for TV etc. Then you have this case, in "real life", where he calls someone a fücking lazy Irish cünt. Irish was very much part of the insult in the same way Scottish was when he called Gordon Brown a "one eyed Scottish idiot."
    There is no carefully constructed facade with this guy; that's exactly what he's like - a nasty bullying racial supremacist who should have been moved on long before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

sabat wrote: »
    In one of the few shows I watched, the one with Michael Fassbender, he made a joke about Irish people being lazy, but it was fine, just a bit of banter, the persona he puts on for TV etc. Then you have this case, in "real life", where he calls someone a fücking lazy Irish cünt. Irish was very much part of the insult in the same way Scottish was when he called Gordon Brown a "one eyed Scottish idiot."
    There is no carefully constructed facade with this guy; that's exactly what he's like - a nasty bullying racial supremacist who should have been moved on long before this.

Ever read his Sunday column?....the guy is a complete Xenophobe but in fairness, the BBC seem to have a track record for employing pieces of sh1t as on air talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Is Clarkson the curly haired **** anti-Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Did he punch the guy because he was Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Stop saying Irish, it's been deemed an offensive term by the British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

I'm not following the story. I hope he's anti-Irish, I'll have another reason to hate the ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I'm not following the story. I hope he's anti-Irish, I'll have another reason to hate the ****

grow up

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I think one of the main reasons people like Clarkson is that he pisses off certain people and people love him for that. Spite is very attractive to some folk

BMMachine wrote: »
    I think one of the main reasons people like Clarkson is that he pisses off certain people and people love him for that. Spite is very attractive to some folk

He punched Piers Morgan. that gives him god-like status in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AvyStreet

Team of 9 writers.

"The actual process for writing scripts, or at least sitting down to fill in the gaps with ‘whatever’, took several forms. Sometimes Jeremy would get a rush of blood to the head and crack on with it on his own, then email me a first draft with a simple note at the top; ‘ADD FACTS AND GAGS’."

"Every so often he’d pause as he searched for a chunky analogy to illustrate a point and we’d spend a minute or two bouncing gags back and forth, trying to make each other laugh. A lot of Top Gear writing was based around men in a room trying to make each other laugh."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BMMachine wrote: »

Certainly pisses off me.

As a matter of interest who are the 'certain people' he pisses off and who are the people who "love him for that "?

This should be interesting.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Certainly pisses off me.

As a matter of interest who are the 'certain people' he pisses off and who are the people who "love him for that "?

This should be interesting.

i dont know if i could contain them all in a label. in my experience with people i know, he pisses off more liberally minded people and appeals to a$$holes. he also appeals to people that like to pretend they are smart

Advertisement