Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Pronunciation or lah-dee-dah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

:D She says it with such confidence.

That explains a lot about an encounter I had in New York!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I think the tide has turned with the pronunciation of Renault; it was mostly pronounced Renawlt, but now appears to be mainly Renoh.

Renault has always been pronounced Renoh, apart from a few non city people who knew no better, probably the same few who pronounce Thailand as Thigh-land :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

A while back visiting family in Drogheda I heard a radio advert for new films available on VHS in Ireland(yes it was that long ago!)and I was fascinated by the pronunciation of"poltergeist"which was pronounced "polterjoist"which is pronounced "poltergaist"in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

RobMc59 wrote: »
    A while back visiting family in Drogheda I heard a radio advert for new films available on VHS in Ireland(yes it was that long ago!)and I was fascinated by the pronunciation of"poltergeist"which was pronounced "polterjoist"which is pronounced "poltergaist"in England.

Is that Drogheda or Drok-heeda?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Shame on you AH.
    This video should have been in the first 8 posts.

I give her Coke. She give me happy ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

When did Ikea become ee-key-a, per their TV adverts?

It was introduced to me as 'eye-key-ah' and it'll stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Is that Drogheda or Drok-heeda?

In "The Thorn Birds", the main character is supposed to be Irish, but she names her rural estate "Drogheda", the name of a town, and pronounces it Droe-gee-da.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

touts wrote: »
    Renao, Renalt, Peageo. I wouldn't worry about it. The tow truck company will still find you if you just tell them you're in the "french piece of sh1t" broken down on the side of the motorway.

Is that borrowed from "Viz's top tips"? If not you may have missed your calling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anybody who pronounces "restaurant" the French way will still get looks.

And I will continue to pronounce Lidl to rhyme with lid. Despite the deliberate ad campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I think the tide has turned with the pronunciation of Renault; it was mostly pronounced Renawlt, but now appears to be mainly Renoh. But what about Peugeot? Are we still embarrassed to pronounce it as it should- Puh-zho, instead of Pew-jo?

It may be a Renoh Cleeoh, but it will always be a Renawlt Four

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

goose2005 wrote: »
    In "The Thorn Birds", the main character is supposed to be Irish, but she names her rural estate "Drogheda", the name of a town, and pronounces it Droe-gee-da.

That used to wreck my head. The accents were pretty much all over the shop on that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Can I mention people saying tremenjous. Is that still a thing ? Bertie Aherne was a chief culprit. Boils my p*ss as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

That used to wreck my head. The accents were pretty much all over the shop on that show.

Were`nt all the actors American and Australian in that show?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Fukushima is another one. The Japanese say Foo Koosh Ma.

Everyone copy please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think the tide has turned with the pronunciation of Renault; it was mostly pronounced Renawlt, but now appears to be mainly Renoh. But what about Peugeot? Are we still embarrassed to pronounce it as it should- Puh-zho, instead of Pew-jo?

Don't mind the French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Thierry Henry is pronounced 'robbing bastard'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Your Face wrote: »
    Thierry Henry is pronounced 'robbing bastard'.

Really. That's not how I pronounce it

goose2005 wrote: »

Yeah, try getting back into the mood of a film after you're wrenched back to reality by something like that.....

It's pronounced lep-re-kaun...

not fuc*** le-pree-shun,

I don't care if you were born and raised in the good 'ol US of A it doesn't give you the right to disgrace my heritage, the least you can do is google it... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Were`nt all the actors American and Australian in that show?

Everywhere but Oz. The leading lady was English. She was gorgeous but couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag. I think her husband in the series was an Aussie, but otherwise yeah, I think most of the cast were American. Guess they forgot to hire a dialect coach :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Renault has always been pronounced Renoh

That's my point- word round the campfire is it's moved to the latter. At least in my neck of the woods. Maybe weeze just posh round these here parts. Peut-être.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Analyze this

How can a person be from Italy but be called an Eyetalian.

Cannot figure that one out myself.

Analyze this

How can a person be from Italy but be called an Eyetalian.

Cannot figure that one out myself.

Eye don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

People wrapping their mouths around Huawei kills me.

"Aragh i have an aul Hawaii there so I have". No you don't and back to the bog with ya Bridget.

Its Wah Way

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Load of bollo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Interestingly, the caron over the "S" in Škoda means it pronounced more like "Shkodda".

jimgoose wrote: »
    Interestingly, the caron over the "S" in Škoda means it pronounced more like "Shkodda".

From Wikipedia:
    "When Czechoslovakia broke up in 1993, the Czech part of the name was intended to serve as the name of the Czech state. The decision started a dispute as many perceived the "new" word Česko, which before had been only rarely used alone, as harsh sounding or as a remnant of Československo."

If I remember (an Economist piece) correctly, apparently the Czechs thought Česko sounded too much like Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The title of the thread is a little bit ironic considering pronunciation is spelt/pronounced pronounciation. However, it is spelt correctly in the body of the post.

• Advertisement

Vita nova wrote: »
    The title of the thread is a little bit ironic considering pronunciation is spelt/pronounced pronounciation. However, it is spelt correctly in the body of the post.

That's just poor spelling. Now that you point it out, I do remember feeling there was something odd about it!;)
    The world's worst self proof-reader.

Advertisement