Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Thank god its all over mcgeeney had to go. We have gone backwards by a long way over the last 3 years. Hopefully a new manager can get rid of some dead wood within the panel and bring on these young lads to the next level.
    Mcgeeney should take time out himself and check out his own tactics, he,ll probably come back as a better manager.
    I sure laois would be happy to give him a start.

Anyways its onwards and upwards for us now. We need a magician to gets us up competing against Dublin next year.
    Maybe cian o Neill could be our man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Players are not happy

Eamonn Callaghan ‏@leperleper 4m
    I've never been ashamed in my life to be a Kildare footballer, until tonight!! #gutted

Eoin Doyle ‏@DoyleEoin 22m
    Some county is going to be very happy in a few weeks time!! Sure what would the players know anyway #Disgrace #Gutted

Emmet Bolton ‏@EmmetBolton 25m
    58 club delegates who have never seen us train went into a room tonight and decided what was best for us. They totally disregarded our 1/2

Emmet Bolton ‏@EmmetBolton 23m
    Opinions over the last couple of weeks. A disgraceful way to treat a man who put so much heart and effort into Kildare football. 2/2

Alan Smith ‏@alansmith631 31m
    Brainless fools

Emmet Bolton ‏@EmmetBolton 18m
    Gutted that Kieran is gone. The effort that he put in over the last 6years is beyond belief. It was a privilege to learn and work under him.

some of them lads would make the team next year anyway. no wonder they are gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Thank god its all over mcgeeney had to go. We have gone backwards by a long way over the last 3 years. Hopefully a new manager can get rid of some dead wood within the panel and bring on these young lads to the next level.
    Mcgeeney should take time out himself and check out his own tactics, he,ll probably come back as a better manager.
    I sure laois would be happy to give him a start.

Anyways its onwards and upwards for us now. We need a magician to gets us up competing against Dublin next year.
    Maybe cian o Neill could be our man.

I think he will do very well wherever he goes next. I don't think he will be short of offers either. Things just went stale with Kildare after a long period in charge. His successor will be building from quite a solid base, certainly a better position than where we were in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Now Johnston made a mockery of Cavan which is worse IMO if I was a Cavan man I would never forgive him for it. Never mind what happened but when he realised he was surplus to requirements in Kildare he tried escaping back to Cavan.. He should be ashamed of himself tbh

I'm keen to park the Johnston chat tbh but I don't think you can say he made a mockery of Caban or that he tried escaping back to Cavan.

Only one county ended up with egg on its face from the transfer and that wasn't Cavan.

And that he was surplus to requirements in Cavan in the first place is what started it off. He won't be playing for Cavan county team, I assure you of that. I don't believe he wants to from what I've heard anyway.

I'll leave the Kildare folk now to discuss the future of Kildare football. I saw your minor and U21s play this year and ye have good teams coming through.

I think the correct decision was made tonight.

Hopefully ye get a man like we got in Terry Hyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Here's one for yas lads - Canavan for Kildare?

He stepped down from Fermanagh last night!

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »

Unless he's making a comeback as a player and fancies setting up house in Straffan then NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I get the feeling that Canavan might prefer the work that he does with Matt Cooper on TodayFM etc rather than manage a team, thats what I thought when I heard he had resigned!

We have a great lot of U21 players so the future can be bright with the right manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

Players are not happy

I've never been ashamed in my life to be a Kildare footballer, until tonight!! #gutted

Some county is going to be very happy in a few weeks time!! Sure what would the players know anyway #Disgrace #Gutted

58 club delegates who have never seen us train went into a room tonight and decided what was best for us. They totally disregarded our 1/2

Opinions over the last couple of weeks. A disgraceful way to treat a man who put so much heart and effort into Kildare football. 2/2

Brainless fools

Gutted that Kieran is gone. The effort that he put in over the last 6years is beyond belief. It was a privilege to learn and work under him.

laughable, a lot of these wouldn't get a look in other counties. Players aren't good enough and its as simple as that. We're a long, long way from a Leinster title, never mind an All Ireland. Cringing at some of the rubbish being said on twitter by players and supporters.

It's understandable that feelings are raw at the moment although I cannot see any revolt happening as some people are already suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Lemlin wrote: »

No thanks. Leave the puke football where it belongs. Up North!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

BNMC wrote: »
    No thanks. Leave the puke football where it belongs. Up North!

Jesus that's a tad harsh :(;)

What about tryin to get the bomber Liston? Or jack o'sheA is involved with lei lip GAA club as he is living their years now that would be a man to get..

We need to bring football back to Kildare leave the gym at the door

Jesus that's a tad harsh :(;)

What about tryin to get the bomber Liston? Or jack o'sheA is involved with lei lip GAA club as he is living their years now that would be a man to get..

We need to bring football back to Kildare leave the gym at the door

Jacko left Leixlip some years ago. He's back living in Kerry now. His daughter Orla is the Confey captain and plays for the Kildare ladies team.

Speaking of Confey, Ronan Quinn has done a good job there and could be someone who could contribute in a Kildare management team.

Jacko left Leixlip some years ago. He's back living in Kerry now. His daughter Orla is the Confey captain and plays for the Kildare ladies team.

Speaking of Confey, Ronan Quinn has done a good job there and could be someone who could contribute in a Kildare management team.

Is he living in Kerry? He is working in Dublin. Does a lot of plumbing for Dublin corporation housing..

I'm a plumber by trade I remember being stars truck talking to him about his career he is a magnificent person if we could get someone like him it would be huge for the county especially as he has knowledge of leixlip.. And Kildare to a football to a certain degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Is he living in Kerry? He is working in Dublin. Does a lot of plumbing for Dublin corporation housing..

I'm a plumber by trade I remember being stars truck talking to him about his career he is a magnificent person if we could get someone like him it would be huge for the county especially as he has knowledge of leixlip.. And Kildare to a football to a certain degree

I could be wrong but I dont think Jacko would be up to speed with the modern game and its training methods. Im actually glad McGeeney is gone as I get the feeling things were going stale and players were not buying into it anymore despite what they may say. Last 2 years we have been in decline and its now time for someone else to come in and freshen things up in the senior squad. Who is available to bring things forward is the question? Hawkfield is there now and development squads are performing well so we are in no doubt in better shape than we were 6 years ago.

Some great times with McGeeney but now we must move on. Some names mentioned being Jack O Connor and Kevin McStay. Think our best options are outside the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Think it was time for McGeeney to go regardless of what the players say...the trend was backwards not forwards in the last 3 years.

Don't think Cian O'Neill will be taking over lads..he has just taken a new job in CIT in Cork and has committed to a 2 year term at least in Kerry I believe. Glenn Ryan surely a front runner unless there is some bright young manager on the club scene I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

shocked at the decision to be honest.........especially considering your minor team from this year is supposed to be sh*t hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

laughable, a lot of these wouldn't get a look in other counties. Players aren't good enough and its as simple as that. We're a long, long way from a Leinster title, never mind an All Ireland. Cringing at some of the rubbish being said on twitter by players and supporters.

If this is the calibre of the thought processes of our delegates last night then McGeeney had no chance. Players werent good enough so its the managers fault?

Good friend of Podge are u?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Funnily enough one of the players who has been mentioned here tweeting against Geezer's dismissal was a harsh critic and his friends/family did nothing but give out about him.

Geezer has brought Kildare a long way. There needs to be a solid apppointment now or all that good work is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Reports doing the rounds that geezer has been voted out of the Kildare managers job looking at losing the vote by 1 single vote.. Not confirmed yet but you heard it here first lads :O

obviously not....Klairondavis was in ahead of you.;)

Hard to call this one from the outside but, considering the successes of the under 21's and the fact that Kildare were coming up against a juggernaut in Dublin, he probably should have got 2 more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

Good and brave decision by the Kildare County Board. McGeeney was good for four years but has been stale for the last two. We were destroyed by Dublin this year and he had no plan B at all. Last year we struggled past Limerick and should have lost.
    If you look back at his team selections there is no continuity at all - never the same fifteen players and midfield changed like the weather. With all the young players coming through you need a fresh start with a new Management team. The obvious solution is Glen Ryan with Anthony Rainbow. These two guys will get all the old support back and gel the players behind them.

• Advertisement

dixiefly wrote: »
    obviously not....Klairondavis was in ahead of you.;)

Hard to call this one from the outside but, considering the successes of the under 21's and the fact that Kildare were coming up against a juggernaut in Dublin, he probably should have got 2 more years.

He has had several years. Why does he deserve another 2?

Kildare need to get away from the weights and back kickin ball!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Am not a fan of change for the sake of change but as an outsider looking in I always felt that this year was one too many for McGeeney and he had taken Kildare as far as he could. With the right man and with the talent coming through from underage there could be exciting times ahead for Kildare football..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Think it was time for McGeeney to go regardless of what the players say...the trend was backwards not forwards in the last 3 years.

Don't think Cian O'Neill will be taking over lads..he has just taken a new job in CIT in Cork and has committed to a 2 year term at least in Kerry I believe. Glenn Ryan surely a front runner unless there is some bright young manager on the club scene I don't know about.

If it is anyone apart from O'Neill taking over then it is hard to see Kildare getting a better manager than McGeeney. I don't think Glenn Ryan would be a complete disaster but there is nothing to suggest he is capable of bringing silverware to Kildare. It is a little bit of a depressing situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

He has had several years. Why does he deserve another 2?

Kildare need to get away from the weights and back kickin ball!!!

As I was saying I am coming from the outside and dont know what is happening on the ground. It looks as if he alienated people in some of the clubs....there was a mention of a letter in a local paper. McGeeney's approach may have upset some. Perhaps, some new blood in his backroom team would have been sufficient. It is a risk in my opinion unless they have someone in mind that they feel will do a better job going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

What about somebody like Barney Rock - would he be in contention?

The reaction of the players is not great and may put off candidates fearful of walking into a Cork strike situation.

Speaking of Cork Dave Matthews is living in Kildare and S&C coach for Cork hurlers. He is probably not available on a full time basis but modern game has moved on and is now about speed and pace and that Cork hurling team has come on in leaps and bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

TheZ wrote: »
    What about somebody like Barney Rock - would he be in contention?

The reaction of the players is not great and may put off candidates fearful of walking into a Cork strike situation.

Speaking of Cork Dave Matthews is living in Kildare and S&C coach for Cork hurlers. He is probably not available on a full time basis but modern game has moved on and is now about speed and pace and that Cork hurling team has come on in leaps and bounds.

He would be a great man to get involved in the new setup. Interesting to see what happens over the coming weeks. Will be hard for any manager to come in now after reading tweets like that. Eamon Callaghan saying he was ashamed to be a Kildare footballer? regardless of what happens you don't say rubbish like that. It should be an honour to put on that white jersey no matter what!
    I wonder are a lot of players worried about their place on the team now? I wonder are the players who lost a position to Seanie happy with the decision on Geezer?
    I never saw Geezer at any club games and as a senior footballer with my club, there are some very talented footballers (better than whats on the current panel) in this county not getting their opportunity.
    Hopefully new management addresses this issue, clears out some of the dead wood on the current panel and we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Dont know if ye Kildare lads want to hear this, but my opinion of McGeeney is that he was full of hot air. All talk no substance and when push came to shove, the teams folded under him. I always believe a team hold the characteristics of the manager. He had too much to say and loved the whole media circus. The chairman was even stating that Kildare are more profile now in the papers under McGeeney like this is a good thing!!

Winning serious games gets you in the media... forget about a guy with a mouth.
    This is a good day for Kildare provided they get a focused manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

borntobike wrote: »
    Good and brave decision by the Kildare County Board.

Wasn't the County Boards call, it was the clubs, infact the CB pleaded with teh clubs as did the players to retain McGeaney.

Personally think this is a mistake by the clubs and McGeaney will only be appreciated when he is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Players are not happy

Brainless fools

If Bolton feels so strongly he should really have made sure his own club would be in support of McGeeney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

AGC wrote: »
    If Bolton feels so strongly he should really have made sure his own club would be in support of McGeeney

He is not he's club delegate, your not making any sense why on earth would he have any control over how he's club decided to vote?

Advertisement