Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foynes Line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

The overall objective of the Limerick to Foynes Line Track & Civils Project is to renew and / or rehabilitate the existing track and civil engineering infrastructure on the 42km Limerick to Foynes line. The proposed construction contract will include the installation of sleepers and rail, and also the maintenance of bridges, culverts and the road infrastructure at public road level crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

So are we looking at a full re-opening or still in an examiner process?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

This is great to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I would have thought that too. This very thread is now seven and a half years old, and the line itself has been closed for much longer than that, so getting to this point has been a very long process. However, I'd have expected more comment on what appears - at least to a casual observer like myself - as a relatively momentous moment. Is the lack of comment here because others remain sceptical? Would love to hear the thoughts of the more regular posters who tend to have their fingers on the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

"This very thread is now seven and a half years old, and the line itself has been closed for much longer than that"......

And in that time we've shaved with the locos and the wagons that we don't have to run any new services. While optimism in a case like this is good, realism has to enter calculations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I’ll believe it when I see it…

What locos and wagons will they use?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any new services will need new wagons / flats / pockets and either new locos or heavily renovated 201s. There's nothing else available.

Nor would it have been practical to keep 50+ year old locos in running condition for a decade+ in the hope they might be used - they were life-expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Exactly. It would be nice to see a plan for this in place. Our full wagon fleet maybe barring timber wagons, needs to be replaced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a scoping tender in 2021 to replace the zinc wagons, and replace/expand the container flats

I suspect something to be done with locos soon-ish. If there's any movement on the Enterprise upgrade/replacement it would make sense to look at re-doing the entire loco fleet. Buy power cars for the Mk4s, the new Enterprise will probably be electric EMUs; and get an entirely new freight and departmental fleet, scrap the 071s and 201s.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I simply don't know the answer to the question. I would hope if they could build a railway line, then they could also build rolling stock to go on it. But like I said, I have no insight to bring to the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

A lot of people in Limerick seem to be under the impression that they are getting a DART or Luas on their Foynes line. There are pretty taken aback when I tell them it is only for goods trains.

Considering this has got virtually no media attention at all - who are you hanging out with?

The Ryder Cup is the passenger angle being put on the situation, how much would the provision of passenger facilities subject to disabled accessibilty for just 4 days of golf cost.

I guess all the headline stories on Mid West papers and radio stations about it the other never happened because you didn't see them?

Oh do not get me wrong, would love to see passenger services on the line, but the public - going by the comments sections on social media - are under the impression they will be shopping in Limerick and commuting from Adare and Foynes by train soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

Very soon is a stretch. New stations Adare and wherever will be the real signal of something happening. I do believe there will be a passenger service for 2027 though

AAARGH.

Single line, where's any loop in the plan, pax train needs 70mph minimum to wipe out the road transport stopping equivalent, passenger rail will be point to point so anyone for a huge carpark in Askeaton or Adare or Patrickswell to find you'll be delayed by the way more sustainable, realistic and useful freight train, "it's a scandal Joe"............

When i visited this line last year i didnt see much passing loops at stations?

Just announced a new road between Limerick and Foynes. The railway is dead in the water now and I don't it was ever anything more than politicians spoofing.

The motorway upgrade that has been in planning for a decade and very well publicised has not been "just announced"

• Advertisement

So.... there is a lot of prospering of Zinc going on in a certain area of Limerick close to the Foynes line. A guy in college with me works in Aughinish and he reckons 30 years worth is looking to be mined and its being kept on the downlow for the moment. Ties in with the rail restoration and the huge Irish Rail tender for ore wagons.

Significant clearing of the line began this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has there been any formal announcement on what customers thave for the line? I mean, they can't be going to this expense without a worthwhile customer signed up...

I see the semaphore in Raheen has been whipped already

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My apologies for not reading this thread in full, but the line is being re-opening for the carrying of what type of freight to/from Foynes port?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Glaceon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I was wondering, after reading the article above - what extra work would be involved to bring this up to spec for passenger services?

Obviously stations would need to be re-established and I assume passing loops put in place as well, but would there be anything else significant required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

I imagine the speed for freight will be quite low so works to increase the speed I suppose. Closing level crossings, strengthening bridges etc

Advertisement