Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foynes Line

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

Because the initial clearance work has begun. Letters have been sent to local residents advising them of the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

corktina wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295620&page=9

Post 126 onwards ...bright shiny new member claiming work has started on re-opening line.

Most likely clearing the mini forestry that has grown up in the interm rather than 'repairing' anything right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

that's what I think....clear to maintain the right of way etc and to permeit a survey perhaps?

confirmed on the infrastructure forum

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Post 126 onwards ...bright shiny new member claiming work has started on re-opening line.

Just to clarify for those who don't wish to visit Infrastructure that the work is vegetation clearance to facilitate a study into the potential reopening of the Foynes line for freight.

It is an Iarnrod Eireann study though so the answer will actually be dependent on what the Minister for Transport wants. Remember the prices quoted for reopening the line by IE were prohibitive until Varadkar showed an interest in the concept... now it believes that it can reinstate it relatively cheaply. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hungerford wrote: »
    Just to clarify for those who don't wish to visit Infrastructure that the work is vegetation clearance to facilitate a study into the potential reopening of the Foynes line for freight.

It is an Iarnrod Eireann study though so the answer will actually be dependent on what the Minister for Transport wants. Remember the prices quoted for reopening the line by IE were prohibitive until Varadkar showed an interest in the concept... now it believes that it can reinstate it relatively cheaply. :D

The study is actually a joint IE/Foynes Port one, Foynes Port are the driving force behind this and they were the ones who persuaded IE that the price of re-opening was a lot less than IEs initial figure not any ministers. The port are really pushing for this and no doubt a few ministers will jump on the band wagon saying how they did this, that and the other to push for re-opening!

Also to clarify against posts on the Infastructure forum as already stated this clearance work is simply to enable a study to see exactly what needs doing and what dosn't. No final decision on re-opening has been made as costs have not yet been finally worked out.

A big part of the study will also focus on required works to enable the various bridges be upgraded (Robertstown needs a complete new bridge) to enable 071/201s on the line. None of the 13 crossings will be upgraded to CCTV type as cost and traffic levels prevent it, from what I've heard the big issue between IE/Foynes Port is the lack of locos/rolling stock or rather funding for reintroduction of locos/wagons.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

GM228 wrote: »
    what I've heard the big issue between IE/Foynes Port is the lack of locos/rolling stock or rather funding for reintroduction of locos/wagons.

I can only imagine. Foynes Port would have a good case to argue that it shouldn't contribute to those expenses as IE, under Dick Fearn's management, allowed its locomotive stock to rot and decimated its collection of wagons.

I'm tempted to mention the collection of locos in more or less working order sat at Moyasta.... a pair of small GM's with a third as maintenance spare could fit the bill and in any case, I would have thought that new high capacity hoppers would be needed for a majopr flow of ore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I'm tempted to mention the collection of locos in more or less working order sat at Moyasta.... a pair of small GM's with a third as maintenance spare could fit the bill and in any case, I would have thought that new high capacity hoppers would be needed for a majopr flow of ore.

Assuming the shale traffic doesn't start back up I assume they could use those wagons for ore.

When Foynes re-opening was first mentioned apparently IE considered using the RPSI 141s! Fact or fiction I don't know?

GM228

• Advertisement

Assuming the shale traffic doesn't start back up I assume they could use those wagons for ore.

Very unlikely it will ever run again, the sidings have been lifted at Kilmastulla.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Hungerford wrote: »
    I can only imagine. Foynes Port would have a good case to argue that it shouldn't contribute to those expenses as IE, under Dick Fearn's management, allowed its locomotive stock to rot and decimated its collection of wagons.
    and in an ideal world, call for him to be jailed for destruction of state owned assets and the rest. oh well, one can dream

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

GM228 wrote: »
    Very unlikely it will ever run again, the sidings have been lifted at Kilmastulla.

GM228
    isn't the quarry or whatever its called for that maxed out anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

What I get most from this tread is the lack of cooperation from Irish Rail management.

Even the lack of rolling stock reeks of sabotage going right back to the 1999 ILDA strike.

Hard to see how you get that . It;s a joint IE/Foynes survey

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    What I get most from this tread is the lack of cooperation from Irish Rail management.

Even the lack of rolling stock reeks of sabotage going right back to the 1999 ILDA strike.
    wouldn't surprise me if that was true. as all on here know, i'd put nothing past IE management.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

and in an ideal world, call for him to be jailed for destruction of state owned assets and the rest. oh well, one can dream

Will you relax! Yes Fearn came here for the pension and inflicted a tightened and not very flexible regime on the railway, but its a bloody OTT reaction to call for him to be jailed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Maybe if IÉ got a few competent managers we could see a few more lines looked at? ;)

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Will you relax! Yes Fearn came here for the pension and inflicted a tightened and not very flexible regime on the railway, but its a bloody OTT reaction to call for him to be jailed.

well we'l have to disagree on this one

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Will you relax! Yes Fearn came here for the pension and inflicted a tightened and not very flexible regime on the railway, but its a bloody OTT reaction to call for him to be jailed.:rolleyes:

I agree. He should be shot.

• Advertisement

ah no . i couldn't agree with that now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You don't mean that. You, like me, just wish he never came here!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You know better than to post stuff like this.

Take a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Victor wrote: »
    You know better than to post stuff like this.

Take a week off.

Really?

Some pictures of the Foynes line clearance works up on the Irishrailwaydevelopments blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Now, getting this thread back on track to what it should be about, instead of several posts of waffle above.

A vegetation clearance programme has recently taken place on the Foynes Branch. This is to allow the ongoing study funded by Shannon Foynes Port Company to be completed to help develop the case for reopening the railway line to freight traffic. To see the progress so far, I took a trip between Limerick and Foynes on a very sunny Saturday 18th April.

Click http://smu.gs/1yIlBBp to view. The pictures start at Rossbrien on the outskirts of Limerick and continue all the way to Foynes.

DSC_3595-S.jpg

DSC_3645-S.jpg

DSC_3728-S.jpg

The photos above are IDENTICAL in nature to the 'clearance' work on the Burma Road 11 years ago.

Once again, just political window dressing and some government cash for local cute hoors with a few JCBs to rent.

Like the Burma Road, in 11 years time people will still be hoping for trains to Foynes which will never come.

The photos above are IDENTICAL in nature to the 'clearance' work on the Burma Road 11 years ago.

Once again, just political window dressing and some government cash for local cute hoors with a few JCBs to rent.

Like the Burma Road, in 11 years time people will still be hoping for trains to Foynes which will never come.

The cash is coming from Shannon Foynes Port. I don't want to wreck your buzz, but the facts on the ground aren't suiting your narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

They are also identical to The Midleton line when it was cleared,,,,,,,, prior to being reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Great pictures there Wanderer, it really is a labour of love for you, I don't think I would have the patience to do it. Just two points, parts of the line look like you could run a train on it right now or is that just the camera telling "lies", also was'nt there an issue with a level crossing nearer to Foynes, something about the Co Co tarmacing over the line and tell IE that they would have to apply for planning permission to reopen the line. I could be wrong.

Advertisement