Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter permanently suspends Milo Yiannopoulos over row with 'Ghostbusters' actress

Options
  • 20-07-2016 5:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭

This all seems a little bit much, wondering what others feel. Think the guy was quite harsh and all (as ever) with some of the what he said but permanently suspending the guy seems a step too far considering some of the crap they seemingly have no issue with on Twitter.

Leslie Jones is the actress involved here and it appears as if she has got some pretty nasty abuse leveled at her over the past while. Pretty much ever since she was cast in the gender reassigned reboot of Ghostbusters. The past few days it all appears to have kicked up a gear...

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/755126377691680768

Milo (who has reviewed the reboot) replied:
    If at first you don't succeed (because your work is terrible), play the victim.
    EVERYONE GETS HATE MAIL FFS
    Leslie then said she was reporting him and posted the following shortly after that:

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/755271004520349698

I of course think that anybody that directs sustained abuse at someone online should have to deal with some consequences as a result of that but did Milo really say anything to warrant having his account permanently terminated? Even taking into account that he has had past indiscretions on there, I still don't see how expressing the opinions which he did (which basically amounted to 'toughen up - it's the Internet') should lead to his permanent suspension.

He has released the following statement:
    With the cowardly suspension of my account, Twitter has confirmed itself as a safe space for Muslim terrorists and Black Lives Matter extremists, but a no-go zone for conservatives. Twitter is holding me responsible for the actions of fans and trolls using the special pretzel logic of the left. Where are the Twitter police when Justin Bieber’s fans cut themselves on his behalf?

Like all acts of the totalitarian regressive left, this will blow up in their faces, netting me more adoring fans. We’re winning the culture war, and Twitter just shot themselves in the foot. This is the end for Twitter. Anyone who cares about free speech has been sent a clear message: you’re not welcome on Twitter.
    So, what you think? He deserved to be removed for good or #FreeMilo?

Were Twitter correct to permanently remove Milo? 403 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    37% 153 votes
    Is he the lad from Glenroe?
    40% 163 votes
    Who cares. This heat is crazy ffs!
    21% 87 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Who the **** is Milo Yiannopoulos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The personification of the fact that a lot of people will mistake verbosity for intelligence. The man is an idiot with a posh accent and is basically the more vile male version of Katie Hopkins, who is adored by the men going their own way and "menninest" morons of the internet and a writer for Breitbart, which is possibly the worst current events and "news" source on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

He's a dick, first and foremost. Twitter is home to some serious knuckle draggers who get their kicks from sitting in their bedrooms posting really hateful, spiteful **** and jerking off at the reaction it gets.
    That said, they're setting quite a precedent here.
    Oh, and these pathetic #FreeMilo or #FreeWilly hashtag campaigns are always embarrassing almost without exception.

With his statement about Muslims and Black Lives Matter and culture wars (which he asserts he is "winning") in response to being banned for abusing a person, Milo has confirmed he is a person in serious need of a break from Twitter.

I don't think that Tweet deserved a ban, but WHAT a self important arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I would ban him for being a drama queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

diomed wrote: »
    I would ban him for being a drama queen.

If they started that the website would be a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

This is an Irish website, 99.999% of the population of Ireland haven't a clue who this clown is.
    I'd never heard of him before until I saw reference to him on here and noticed some kids hanging off his every word.
    If you've seen someone try to crowbar the words 'safe space', 'sjw', 'leftist' or 'special snowflake' into an argument, you know they've been reading his blogs too much, desperately trying to sound edgy and controversial.

TL;DR Some attention whore got banned from Twitter, Ireland doesn't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Whether you think he is an arsehole or not, he is quite clearly intelligent.
    Only if you equate shoehorning big words into a sentence in an attempt to appear intelligent with intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

dav3 wrote:
    TL;DR Some attention whore got banned from Twitter, Ireland doesn't give a ****.

And if we only ever discussed things that happened in Ireland we'd be the most boring nation imaginable.

It's about the principle, not the individual.

Seems like a good start to me, Twitter should stop giving more gob****es a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The abuse that actress got was horrific. I've never heard of this Milo fella but if he orchestrated it, which is what I read, then yes he should be banned IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

With the cowardly suspension of my account, Twitter has confirmed itself as a safe space for Muslim terrorists

Dont know who he is, nor could care less, but the above statement indicates that he is an &rsehole of supernatural proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

This is a poll?!
    Ahhahahahhaaa

No, his ability to use logic and reason is superior to most people's.

And yet not intelligent enough to understand the rules of Twitter...it's hardly some enigma, they clearly set out policies on abuse, hateful behaviour etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hold on a second, this woman got dogs abuse just because she played a female Ghostbuster? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

He is right about that ghost busters fiasco though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Who you gonna call?

The A Team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Who you gonna call?

The A Team.

Relics of a bygone era, cuck white knight sjw's or bust pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

It's yer man from Glenroe who was married to Dinny. Never knew he was Greek though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't think that Tweet deserved a ban, but WHAT a self important arsehole.
    This. Like any of the crop of rabble rousers in the current bipolar "culture war" on the interwebs he has some good points to make, but smothers same in utter nonsense.
    jacksie66 wrote: »
    Twitter is a crock of ****e. A platform for idiots to spout crap and a place for suggestible fools to believe it..
    So much this. Given how much shíte is posted to it, some of it very nasty, the subject of this thread shouldn't have been banned from it.
    inforfun wrote: »
    He is right about that ghost busters fiasco though.
    Yeah, it's kinda cringe alright. Who you gonna call? Notthembints! Starts off OK I thought, but goes rapidly downhill. The original was no Hamlet, but whatever nuance was present in the old one is utterly missing in the new. One of the punchlines is a variation on this theme.

I shít thee not gentle reader.

The joke is the Black lass Milo got banned over has been fcuked over more by the writers and the studio. I think the last time I saw a Black woman stereotype this obvious it was a pair of shaking stockings on top a stool in a 1950's Tom & Jerry cartoon. The bigger joke is in the 1980s flic the most sensible and least hysterical character in the entire flic is the Black dude. The male secretary in the new one is an obvious riff on the dolly bird secretaries of old films(which haven't been seen in a looong time except as "irony"), yet the secretary in the original wasn't a dolly bird.

That said, these days the summer blockbuster is nearly always an obvious and often bad reboot(making the main character a woman one change. QV Lucille Skywalker in the new/old Star Wars) or yet another bloody comic book with lots of flashes and bangs for the idiocracy or both, so set against that backdrop…

I dunno who this flic is aimed at. The female version of the guys who liked the American Pie sequels? Ageing Spice Girl fans who want to croak "girl power" one more time while they can still believe it? Fcuk knows. Whoever it's aimed at it's bombing. Empty cinemas in its first week, China doesn't want it, the tie in toys in bargain bins before it came out and as telling as anything try finding a pirated copy. Yep. People can't be arsed stealing it. Heads will roll on this one I reckon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The personification of the fact that a lot of people will mistake verbosity for intelligence. The man is an idiot with a posh accent and is basically the more vile male version of Katie Hopkins, who is adored by the men going their own way and "menninest" morons of the internet and a writer for Breitbart, which is possibly the worst current events and "news" source on the internet.

He is nothing like Katie Hopkins. He's a conservative. He's not particularly liked by many, but to compare him to that twat is just lazy posting. He has his views and he argues them quite well. While having a large vocab doesn't automatically mean you are intelligent, it's a bloody good indicator of education. I'd say a lot of people are quite jealous of his public speaking skills and his articulation.

dav3 wrote: »
    This is an Irish website, 99.999% of the population of Ireland haven't a clue who this clown is.
    I'd never heard of him before until I saw reference to him on here and noticed some kids hanging off his every word.
    If you've seen someone try to crowbar the words 'safe space', 'sjw', 'leftist' or 'special snowflake' into an argument, you know they've been reading his blogs too much, desperately trying to sound edgy and controversial.

How is he a clown? His mannerism or his views?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've no idea who this guy is or what his past behaviour was like, but if twitter are going to ban people for a rather tame statement like that, then they will have to ban most of their users.

What he said was pretty harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

An aul ban from breathing would be even better, but this'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Feckin' mods.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He can't be taken seriously. I heard him on the Joe Rogan podcast and is happy to hate Islam for homophobic sentiments, but doesn't see the hipocrasy in being a Christian.

Attention seeking and not particularly entertaining either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

The more I read up on this guy the more I'm loving him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Don't know too much about him but any time I see him crop up he appears like a completely insufferable bollox, the last time was when he tweeted a photo taking the piss out of a random overweight guy in the gym

Still, Twitter are setting a precedent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's pretty strong rumours he organises and directs people behind the scenes to target certain people, then he comments about it on Twitter (without breaking any actual Twitter rules himself), which then encourages more of his followers to partake in the abuse.

Should he have been banned for his own tweets? No. Should he have been banned for continuously encouraging his followers to tweet nasty, racist sh*t? Yeah, at this stage probably, if there was sufficient evidence for same.

As I've said elsewhere on Boards I'd likely agree with many of his points but he wraps those points up in so many layers of "LOOK AT ME! I'M OFFENSIVE AND SAY OFFENSIVE THINGS AND YOU SHOULDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING OFFENDED BY THEM!" bullsh*t that his points will never be heard by those he is trying to challenge. All they will hear is the offensive stuff, which will result in them shouting him down, fueling him to shout back, and then no actual valid points ever get discussed.

But why would he care about that? He's making money and getting attention being the one who shouts the loudest. That's his purpose for doing what he does. Anyone who thinks he's doing it to be a bastion of free speech rights is deluded imo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems like he was acting the arsehole and now having a whine after he got slapped on the wrist.

Permanent ban seems over the top but looks like twitter have decided to make an example of him.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ush1 wrote: »
    He can't be taken seriously. I heard him on the Joe Rogan podcast and is happy to hate Islam for homophobic sentiments, but doesn't see the hipocrasy in being a Christian.

Attention seeking and not particularly entertaining either.

There's a difference when the follower of one religion is responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in US history. Gay people might dislike Christian bigots, but they know they aren't going to gun them down.

Advertisement