Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Collooney to Castlebaldwin [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

But Andy from Sligo spent so long drawing that map...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I take it this scheme removes any possibility of an actual motorway between Dublin and Sligo?

Motorway from Dublin to Sligo would never happen due to insufficient traffic volumes. Motorway to Longford and 2+2 thereafter. Sligo is a town with a railway and a 2+2 will more than suffice for cars

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

marno21 wrote: »
    Motorway from Dublin to Sligo would never happen due to insufficient traffic volumes. Motorway to Longford and 2+2 thereafter. Sligo is a town with a railway and a 2+2 will more than suffice for cars

Is Mullingar up to motorway standard or would it have to be upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yeah 2+2 would be perfectly fine from Longford on, traffic always noticeably thins out after Longford. Once the Castlebaldwin section is done the N4 will be largely complete from a safe alignment point of view but Mullingar - Longford is increasingly bumper to bumper so definitely needs an upgrade.

I'd argue that a Carrick bypass is the single most urgent project on the N4 but seemingly no real progress being made there, I spent 35 minutes in a 4km tailback into the town last Monday all caused by the mini roundabout by the bridge.
    Is Mullingar up to motorway standard or would it have to be upgraded?

There's a short section from south of Mullingar to Lough Owel thats 100kph DC due to inadequate junctions. I drive it frequently and while it'd be nice to see it upgraded I've never seen any issues with it so would place it well down in the list of priorities

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yeah 2+2 would be perfectly fine from Longford on, traffic always noticeably thins out after Longford. Once the Castlebaldwin section is done the N4 will be largely complete from a safe alignment point of view but Mullingar - Longford is increasingly bumper to bumper so definitely needs an upgrade.

Between now and 2027 we are looking at Mullingar-Longford (hopefully Roosky), Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod and Collooney-Castlebaldwin getting done. All that remains then as SC is Castlebaldwin-Boyle which could be 2+2 retrofitted quite cheaply.
    I'd argue that a Carrick bypass is the single most urgent project on the N4 but seemingly no real progress being made there, I spent 35 minutes in a 4km tailback into the town last Monday all caused by the mini roundabout by the bridge.

Will hopefully go into planning in late 2018/early 2019.
    There's a short section from south of Mullingar to Lough Owel thats 100kph DC due to inadequate junctions. I drive it frequently and while it'd be nice to see it upgraded I've never seen any issues with it so would place it well down in the list of priorities

It would be nice to see this upgraded to motorway quite cheaply as part of the Mullingar-Longford scheme to give continious motorway from Leixlip to Longford. Leixlip-Longford at 120km/h would take around 55 minutes which is a major plus for accessibility to the north west.

• Advertisement

D&B tender issued a few weeks ago, Tender Consultation Meetings ongoing. Award Stage should be September/ October
    Quality that. Less than a year for the tender process. If similar happens for the N5 & N22 projects we'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Isnt this meant to be started this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Paddico wrote: »
    Isnt this meant to be started this year?

Tenders are back, it should be awarded soon if not allready, I'd say construction will start in earnest Feb/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

Tenders are back, it should be awarded soon if not allready, I'd say construction will start in earnest Feb/March.

July, August earliest.

hondar wrote: »
    July, August earliest.

Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement

Care to elaborate?

July until August before construction will start.

July until August before construction will start.

I got that bit! Is this an opinion or do you have some more concrete information?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete

(Sorry, couldn't resist it)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The word is that it will start in the next 2 months.

spacetweek wrote: »

That's what I was assuming knowing the reputation of who has won it to hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Happy days.

The contract will be award in the next 2 months.work won't start tell next year.thats what Sligo County Council are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Slightly off topic but are there any plans to up the M4 to 3 lanes from Leixlip out to the Maynooth or Kilcock exit?

It would relieve a lot of congestion at peak times and the space is there in the centre for the extra lanes. I think the only problem would be the bridge over the liffey where they would have to use the hard shoulder.

Just looking on Google maps, it is approx 8km to Maynooth and 16km to Kilcock.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maynooth exit is planned for the medium term

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The contract will be award in the next 2 months.work won't start tell next year.thats what Sligo County Council are saying.

I must have psssed this well over 12 months ago and swear it all looked fenced off and ready to proceed. I wish infrastructural projects here could just simply “get on with it”. It could be nearly finished if things had started then. Why must we constantly wait wait wait?

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    I must have psssed this well over 12 months ago and swear it all looked fenced off and ready to proceed. I wish infrastructural projects here could just simply “get on with it”. It could be nearly finished if things had started then. Why must we constantly wait wait wait?

Site Investigation, Archaeological advance works, Utility Diversions, Public Procurement, Legal Challenges to name but a few, but still TII should be using Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) contracts a lot more.

It's been fenced off for a few years.funding was not available.it's not going to start as soon as a lot of people think it will.

Everything seems to move at an absolute snails pace these days, looking back at the 2000-2010 period its amazing what was achieved in road building when you compare it to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Saw a sign up last week for Advance notice of road works near Collooney on N4. Is this the long awaited or just some minor sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Everything seems to move at an absolute snails pace these days, looking back at the 2000-2010 period its amazing what was achieved in road building when you compare it to now.

Ireland is the fifth highest indebted sovereign nation in Europe, after Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Belgium.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Ireland is the fifth highest indebted sovereign nation in Europe, after Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Belgium.

People are very quick to forget this. It's as if no lessons were learnt at all in the last decade. Just throwing money at things is what got us into the whole mess in the first place.

People are very quick to forget this. It's as if no lessons were learnt at all in the last decade. Just throwing money at things is what got us into the whole mess in the first place.

I would argue the difference between funding infrastructure projects like this with positive cost benefit rations and proven benefits as opposed to consistently throwing money into sinkholes like the extra funding for the HSE next year when it's been repeatedly proven that it won't solve anything

Apart from a minor increase in capital funding next year, most spending increases in the budget were towards the usual social welfare and health measures.

I will totally agree that it's a disgrace that next years budget isn't in surplus but that's not the fault of roadbuilding

More speaking of the long rambling planning/appeals and procurement processes, it seems to take a monumental effort just to get a project started recently

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

But still well able to squander multiples of millions on welfare bonuses- it’s the spending priorities and focus that are all wrong. The economy actually generates a healthy tax revenue its what’s being done with it that boggles me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Hardly squandering to the poor folk that need it...many things are just as important.

Advertisement