Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N4 - Collooney to Castlebaldwin [open to traffic]

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Can anyone tell me if on the unlit by lighting (which is going to be a lot along that stretch of road) if they have included any cats eye studs into the road? (white in between white line markings & yellow at the edges of the road) and or any rumble strips at the edge of the road (where the yellow line is where the ditch is?)

Example:

(Yep - I know its white line at edge in this pic - could not find a pic of an Irish road with yellow solid line at edge of road with cats eyes on)

This all helps with extra safety on the roads and especially when its raining and dark when the painted lines are not as visible as when on dry roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Solid yellow lines are only used in two places:

1. For short stretches at junctions on roads that have road-edge markings. Not all of these have hard shoulders.
    2. On motorways - there is usually a full hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@Andy From Sligo "Yes", and "yes". These pictures from the Garda Facebook about an accident shortly after the opening clearly show the rumble strips and reflectors.

(3) Garda Síochána Sligo/Leitrim – Posts | Facebook

Both features are required on this type of road, as I understand it. Reflectors are definitely required on National roads.

Brilliant thanks for answering - i have not travelled at night yet on that road in my car so I didn't know for certain - but glad to hear it

Post edited by Andy From Sligo on

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

• Advertisement

A lot of voices rehashing the same spiel in that video. 🙈

But tbh, they're right: Sligo is very well placed to compete with Galway and perhaps now Dublin as well. Moving around Sligo is so easy now. I think the upgrade of Hughes Bridge is working really well. It's now a very pleasant drive from Carrick to Sligo. Boyle and to a lesser extent Carrick are now satellite towns of Sligo and you can see how the new road opens its hinterland to increase Sligo's economy of scale.

There are only a few towns/cities in Sligo's position that have the infrastructure in place to thrive for the next 20 years. Dublin, Cork & Galway are going to shutdown due to gridlock. Pretending this won't happen is naive in the extreme. We cannot pretend that delaying these crticial infrastructure projects won't have serious consequences. They're going to increase in population with minimal transport & housing infrastructure to accommodate this. It's going to be a logistical & quality of life disaster.

Meanwhile, Sligo, Kilkenny, Limerick, Waterford, Castlebar-Westport, Tralee, Athlone etc ought to thrive, saving a recession, as they can afford to expand. Of course, Dublin etc should be proceeding with Metrolink & sustainable high density urban development, but due to bad public policy, political indifference & local NIMBYism, this won't happen for the foreseeable. Sligo et al are well poised to benefit as sustainable, liveable alternatives, especially if/when remote working becomes embedded as a national norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I think if the N17 to Knock gets upgraded to dual carriageway it will have a massive impact on what you have said there. Having a good road network to the regions most important airport is a must for Sligo's development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Is there any sign of the Eastern Garvoge Bridge happening? It should also really help the town and remove some local traffic from Hughes Bridge.

"Moving around Sligo is so easy now...."

Hmm.. really!! , are we talking about Sligo .. the Sligo? Sligo Ireland? LOL 😄

Yes.

Vis à vis Galway, Dublin & Cork, Sligo is very easy to move around. Unless of course you expect to park at every shop & service you require, which is rightly not possible anywhere, bar towns which can't fathom the 21st century.

• Advertisement

The sign for Highwood at the Castlebaldwin roundabout has fallen down, presumably caused by the wind. Another sign at the same roundabout is about to fall and two were blown backwards. They must have been erected in great haste.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They’re still catching people speeding on the old route. Surely if you want to do 111km/h you’d take the dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'd imagine they live along the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Who was doing 167kmh along the N20, thats suicidal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

By the Waterloo turn off. Very dodgy carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mother Trucker

Was dodgy enough trying to maintain the original 100km/h limit along there, seems pretty silly trying it there now, with the new, more realistic 80 limit.

Tender issued for consultants for The N4 Active Travel - Collooney to Castlebaldwin project:

Good to see that this hasn't been forgotten about after active travel provisions weren't part of the road project, apart from a km or 2 on approach to Collooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Will this be active travel route on space taken back from the old road e.g. narrow the old road, put in a barrier and put in a shared path?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The old road isn’t really that wide for a lot of this scheme, so I suspect it will involve a new path. Pedestrian/cycle ways are relatively cheap to construct, as they don’t need to support very heavy loads.

I assume that assessing options and recommending how to proceed will be one of the first tasks of the consultants. I think utilising existing existing roadspace on the old N4 where available and creating space where not will be the most likely option. There doesn't seem to be any other likely route or anything worth deviating for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering the state of the old road, "where not" is most of the scheme except the bit towards the North end.

Sligo CoCo have launched Public Consultations for two N4 Active Travel projects – Collooney to Toberbride and Collooney to Castlebaldwin;

Neither are particularly inspiring. Collooney to Castlebaldwin looks like going alongside the L3700 ("the old raod") has already been decided is the only option.

Advertisement