Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Private Numbers'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I wouldn’t leave them standing outside. You’d hope after a few seconds they’d get the message and keep going. If they remain standing there then that’s on them.

Ha! Of course you're leaving them standing there. Do you expect them to sit down on your doorstep to wait after they ring the bell or knock? Whether they stand there for ten seconds or ten minutes before moving on is irrelevant. The point is that you wouldn't answer the door to them. As I said....bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ha! Of course you're leaving them standing there. Do you expect them to sit down on your doorstep to wait after they ring the bell or knock? Whether they stand there for ten seconds or ten minutes before moving on is irrelevant. The point is that you wouldn't answer the door to them. As I said....bravo.

Listen, chief, we don’t all live in some “backwater” were a knock at the door, or ring on the phone, is the highlight of the week.

It’s great that you get so much “satisfaction” entertaining these spivs and time wasters but some us have our own lives going on and just don’t have time to entertain such nonsense.

Perhaps if more people we’re like us there wouldn’t be whole “industries” built around bothering people throughout the day. But, as I say, if it makes a welcome break from listening to the clock on the wall that’s fine but don’t expect others to do the same.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

Working away here in a GP office and since covid19 has hit most our consults are by phone (mobile in our case) We block our number (as will many GP in future) as it is for outgoing calls only and not to be rung back.

We have had a few cases this week where people have blocked private numbers and missed their slot. Not sure its a great idea to be blocking ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Our landline has always come up private for some reason. It’s not intentional. I always leave a voice message with the number I’m calling from. Then people don’t bother calling me me back because they don’t bother listening to voice mails. I couldn’t call you back because your number comes up private. If you listened and you know it’s me , you hear my voice on the message, get a pen and write the number provided down and call me back. It’s not hard. Save the number in to your phone for convenience. Rant over.

Listen, chief, we don’t all live in some “backwater” were a knock at the door, or ring on the phone, is the highlight of the week.

It’s great that you get so much “satisfaction” entertaining these spivs and time wasters but some us have our own lives going on and just don’t have time to entertain such nonsense.

Perhaps if more people we’re like us there wouldn’t be whole “industries” built around bothering people throughout the day. But, as I say, if it makes a welcome break from listening to the clock on the wall that’s fine but don’t expect others to do the same.

Good man. Some fine examples of humanity around here all right.

People collecting for local organisations that people I know get enjoyment from, or to support a family with two terminally-ill children, are spivs and time wasters in your book.

So you just go on thinking only about yourself, and I'll go on having some consideration for others too. Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

People collecting for local organisations that people I know get enjoyment from, or to support a family with two terminally-ill children, are spivs and time wasters in your book.

So you just go on thinking only about yourself, and I'll go on having some consideration for others too. Good man.

Don't take him too personally, pretty sure it's a windup account; and an entertaining one at that. He has two mates with an eerily similar modus operandi. They all just purport to be three stock characters ; an ignorant countryman, an ignorant Dub, an ignorant D4 head.

FWIW I agree with you. That said some places in Dublin, usually the more crowded suburbs, you actually are plagued by unwanted callers. For some reason the inner city and the more salubrious spread out suburbs are immune.

Thanks, Cranky fella. I haven't been around here long enough to recognise those sort of accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Not true. Any calls I ever had from a doctor or their secretary was from their surgery number which they all advertise anyway, doctors don't try to hide their work numbers certainly in my experience.

And you are confusing taking calls from an unknown number (which I do) with take calls from a private number (which I don't as this is pretty much guaranteed to be a sales call from someone who should have the courtesy of showing their number).

I’m a hospital consultant, and frequently use the hospital switchboard to ring patients or their relatives- that always comes up as a private caller. And if I’m using my mobile to phone them, I’ll block the number as obviously I don’t want them having it.

I’m a hospital consultant, and frequently use the hospital switchboard to ring patients or their relatives- that always comes up as a private caller. And if I’m using my mobile to phone them, I’ll block the number as obviously I don’t want them having it.

My consultants receptionist always leaves a message but she knows I won’t answer at this stage.

Thanks, Cranky fella. I haven't been around here long enough to recognise those sort of accounts.

Greenhouse and stones etc.

No caller ID, no answer. No idea who you are, the door doesn’t get opened for you. Need directions, get them from whoever you’re going to visit. Want a donation, go ask elsewhere.

Anyone I’d have any time for knows the front door is only for Christmas use and the rest of the time it’s for arseholes to stand at until they get fed up waiting or told to get lost by a neighbour. The side gate and back door are open for those who know me.

Voicemail is disabled. Caller waiting is disabled. Read receipts for imessages/SMS/WhatsApp are disabled. I have a phone for my convenience, not yours. Anyone who whinges that I didn’t answer or call them back gets told where to go.

Some dopes would talk to a tree if it groaned in the wind for fear of offending it if they got on with what they were doing instead. Have at it. I’ve better things to be doing than entertaining timewasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

The only blocked numbers that call me are doctors and teachers for obvious reasons.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Greenhouse and stones etc.

No caller ID, no answer. No idea who you are, the door doesn’t get opened for you. Need directions, get them from whoever you’re going to visit. Want a donation, go ask elsewhere.

Anyone I’d have any time for knows the front door is only for Christmas use and the rest of the time it’s for arseholes to stand at until they get fed up waiting or told to get lost by a neighbour. The side gate and back door are open for those who know me.

Voicemail is disabled. Caller waiting is disabled. Read receipts for imessages/SMS/WhatsApp are disabled. I have a phone for my convenience, not yours. Anyone who whinges that I didn’t answer or call them back gets told where to go.

Some dopes would talk to a tree if it groaned in the wind for fear of offending it if they got on with what they were doing instead. Have at it. I’ve better things to be doing than entertaining timewasters.

Another charming fella. :D:D:D

I said some while back that I sometimes enjoy pointing out the irony in certain things. Here's a real example. You and certain others say you wouldn't take 30 seconds to talk to me if I phoned you or called to your door, because you don't know who I am and because your time is apparently so important. Yet you've no problem in taking longer than that to write messages to anonymous people on the internet. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I said some while back that I sometimes enjoy pointing out the irony in certain things. Here's a real example. You and certain others say you wouldn't take 30 seconds to talk to me if I phoned you or called to your door, because you don't know who I am and because your time is apparently so important. Yet you've no problem in taking longer than that to write messages to anonymous people on the internet. Go figure.

Because on the internet we can reply in a couple of seconds and don’t have to physically stand at the front door saying “yeah yeah yeah, that’s great” to your sorry ragged ass explaining whatever vapid **** you are hawking - it’s just to entertain you for knocking on the door. Understand? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Five Pages of argument on a 10-year old Zombie thread....

....it must be AH :D

Because your time is your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Never answer private nums

Their loss

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Five Pages of argument on a 10-year old Zombie thread....

....it must be AH :D

Yeah, but it's kind of fun :):):)

Not so. I'm deciding whether or not to give you the time of day in any case. It's my prerogative to decide how to respond of course to any call for attention.

If you phoned me from a private number, you'd go unanswered. If you knocked on the door, you'd be left standing there, unanswered. A decision to spend 30 seconds or more engaging with you or anyone else is only mine to make and you've no entitlement to even that, to be fair.

My home, my phone, my choice. You can talk your head off with whoever you like if they call on you. I'd rather not bother. I can suit myself and spend time doing other things, such as nattering on boards with people who think I should be answering random calls and door-to-door nuisances or people looking for free money. Off with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Funnily enough I got one yesterday. I didn't answer.

(Im on to you OP ;) )

Anyway it was extra weird because this is a new phone. And only people who I know in real life (and I have their no.) and my family have this new no.

It was either a company trying to sell something or a weirdo heavy breather wanting to hide his no from the cops!

If you want to hide your no its because you are doing something you shouldn't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I once got a call from a North Korean number (+850). It was weird because I was watching videos about the DPRK on youtube the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Never answer a private number
    Sent a text i will see that and depending who it is i might phone back

I never answer a private number on the phone. Dead simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You’ll be happy to know I won’t be letting those “callers” stand out in the cold for longer than they have to, or take up anymore of my own, precious, time.

Just got one of those ‘Ring’ doorbells, the one with the camera on it, installed. So now I can tell the “time burglars” to buzz off from the comfort of my own couch.

A great investment. Will be a “godsend” by the time winter rolls around.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Teachers are calling parents to see how they are getting on and to answer questions pupils may have. As they are using their private mobiles they have been advised to go Private.

FYI

Teachers are calling parents to see how they are getting on and to answer questions pupils may have. As they are using their private mobiles they have been advised to go Private.

FYI

The problem there is teachers having to use their personal phones to make these calls.

You’ll be happy to know I won’t be letting those “callers” stand out in the cold for longer than they have to, or take up anymore of my own, precious, time.

Just got one of those ‘Ring’ doorbells, the one with the camera on it, installed. So now I can tell the “time burglars” to buzz off from the comfort of my own couch.

I’d love a Nest one but they’re way dearer. I’m happy to let anyone stand in the cold in the meantime though.

The problem there is teachers having to use their personal phones to make these calls.

Whats the alternative?

Whats the alternative?

Give them phones if they’re expected to use phones. Or, better yet, let them phone from the school number on the days they’re on the premises.

• Advertisement

Give them phones if they’re expected to use phones. Or, better yet, let them phone from the school number on the days they’re on the premises.

The first would be an expensive logistical nightmare. The second not feasible considering the time it takes and the limited time they are allowed in the school.

I never answer them. If it's important they can leave a message. If they are too ignorant to demand my time without even showing me who they are and then not leave a message they aren't worth my time in the first place.

FYI

If they have an important message about Little Johnny or Mary they can leave a message with their phone number. Then I can call them back, and in the process save them money. Problem solved.

If they have an important message about Little Johnny or Mary they can leave a message with their phone number. Then I can call them back, and in the process save them money. Problem solved.

Messages were left where possible, but not all phones facilitate such or may be full.

It looks like in your particular instance it would suffice.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I answered the phone to an unlisted number once. I died. I got better, but don't want to take that risk again!

Seriously though, it's an odd one. Some people reject unlisted numbers outright. Some people won't answer if the number isn't in their contacts. I would always answer. I've got the option of hanging up, so roll the dice. :-D

Messages were left where possible, but not all phones facilitate such or may be full.

It looks like in your particular instance it would suffice.

Considering I get at least 4 or 5 calls from private or weird numbers every day, and I have AT MOST 10 messages left in a month, 4 of them being a crackly line for maybe 2 seconds, indicating some scam caller from some other far away jurisdiction, then I think it works fine. I have my own IT business so am forever getting weird calls offering all sorts of IT services and pyramid schemes. If I answered them all I'd get nothing done and have no time to post stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I answer calls from any number because I have a Job and am a grown adult.

If my boss or anyone in work was calling and I didnt answer and later said "I dont answer private numbers"...yea,, i'd never actually say that because its fcuking stupid even typing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I don't get why anybody wouldn't answer a private number. Especially if you have children, could be school, garda station or anything calling.

It's not as if the person on the other end can steal your thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

One person calls the house on a private no, I don't answer because I know it's her.
    Hospitals etc always call me showing their ID. You may not be able to reply to that number but I know who's calling.
    That other stupid wagon can F O and when she says anything I just say I don't answer private numbers

Considering I get at least 4 or 5 calls from private or weird numbers every day, and I have AT MOST 10 messages left in a month, 4 of them being a crackly line for maybe 2 seconds, indicating some scam caller from some other far away jurisdiction, then I think it works fine. I have my own IT business so am forever getting weird calls offering all sorts of IT services and pyramid schemes. If I answered them all I'd get nothing done and have no time to post stuff like this.

I used to run my own business too, but unlike you, I'd never ignore a call, in case it was a call that could lead to some work. In fact, calls from one of my best clients would always show as unknown number - it was just the way the phones were set up in their offices. Can't swear for sure, but most likely the initial call that led to that contract would have shown as unknown too. If I'd ignored it, I'd have lost out on several thousand euro over the course of almost two years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's weird that some on here are taking issue with refusal to answer to private numbers. If you don't have the decency to identify yourself beforehand then please don't expect me to answer.

• Advertisement

I don't get why anybody wouldn't answer a private number. Especially if you have children, could be school, garda station or anything calling.

No but they might steal something else though. Lots of scams out there.

None of them should have their number hidden

If you don't have the decency to identify yourself beforehand then please don't expect me to answer.

I somehow find myself being dragged back in to this never-ending circle of a thread of nonsense. :o

But question here for all who say things like this to explain why they don't answer private numbers: how old are you?

Or basically, are you under let's say 40 years old, and therefore probably don't really remember a time without caller ID (not as an adult getting "grown up" phone calls anyway)?

Or are you over 40 like myself, and grew up with only landline phones where you never knew who was calling before you actually picked up the phone and said hello?

I suspect the divide here is a real generational thing.

I somehow find myself being dragged back in to this never-ending circle of a thread of nonsense. :o

But question here for all who say things like this to explain why they don't answer private numbers: how old are you?

Or basically, are you under let's say 40 years old, and therefore probably don't really remember a time without caller ID (not as an adult getting "grown up" phone calls anyway)?

Or are you over 40 like myself, and grew up with only landline phones where you never knew who was calling before you actually picked up the phone and said hello?

I suspect the divide here is a real generational thing.

Numbers are easier to show in this era. Anyone not showing one has a shady motive.

No but they might steal something else though. Lots of scams out there.

So if that's your reasoning, can I infer that you don't trust yourself to be able to sniff out a scam if somebody tries one out on you? So therefore you avoid all calls from private numbers on the off-chance that it might be somebody about to try a scam?

You'd better not open any emails then either. Scammers try to catch people out that way too. And before you say "but I can see who emails come from", it's relatively easy to make emails appear as though they've come from somebody who didn't actually send them at all.

Numbers are easier to show in this era. Anyone not showing one has a shady motive.

That's like something my wife does. Answer a simple question with a statement that's somehow very vaguely and tenuously related to the question, but which doesn't actually answer it.

I knew I should have known better than to land into this thread again.......!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

So if that's your reasoning, can I infer that you don't trust yourself to be able to sniff out a scam if somebody tries one out on you? So therefore you avoid all calls from private numbers on the off-chance that it might be somebody about to try a scam?

You'd better not open any emails then either. Scammers try to catch people out that way too. And before you say "but I can see who emails come from", it's relatively easy to make emails appear as though they've come from somebody who didn't actually send them at all.
    The difference being that there's no obligation to interact with the email once you identify it as a scam. You just send it to junk mail.

That's like something my wife does. Answer a simple question with a statement that's somehow very vaguely and tenuously related to the question, but which doesn't actually answer it.

I knew I should have known better than to land into this thread again.......!

No matter now smart you think you’ve made yourself sound with all that, the facts have been stated so you’re wrong.

Self fallation doesn’t make someone right.

s1ippy wrote: »
    The difference being that there's no obligation to interact with the email once you identify it as a scam. You just send it to junk mail.

Or, if you’re not an idiot, it will already be gone to junk mail and you’ll never see it.

s1ippy wrote: »

No obligation to interact further with somebody on the phone either. Simply say "no thanks, not interested", and end the call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement