Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Private Numbers'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought it was generally girls who didn't answer private numbers due to the high percentage of lads getting their numbers from others and trying to get a date.
    Does that actually ever happen??? randomers ringing up people trying to get a blind date?

bluewolf wrote: »
    however did people cope with old phones that were just...phones? no caller id?
    They had to put up with nuisance calls wasting their time, now they don't have to -progress, its great. People coped without PCs too, but I like mine, just as I like caller ID.

I am 50/50 whether I answer it, I hate talking on phones so often don't bother, if it is an emergency they would most likely ring several times, so I would answer it in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I will answer private numbers at certain times. My mum rings me of private number landline, and I always know when it is her ringing as it will usually be evening time.

If my mum has already rang and another private number rings me in the evening I won't usually bother answering.

If I get a private number number/number I don't recognise, ringing me in the morning or early in the day I probably won't answer it.

If I get a private number/number I don't recognise, ringing very late or in the early hours of the morning, then I will answer it because I would think that there might be something wrong for somebody to be ringing so late.

My reluctance in answering private numbers or numbers I don't recognise is due to the fact that it is often somebody I'm trying to avoid, or someone I'm just not in the mood for chatting to even if it is someone I like.

Examples include: The Bank - I prefer to just call into them and deal with them face to face when I have all my money sorted for them, which will usually be the day after the missed call.
    or
    A very chatty friend who would keep me on the phone for 40 mins, when I'm really tired and just want to cook my dinner and then relax.

If I'm not tired or busy and haven't missed a week's repayment, then I will answer my phone to private number. If I miss a call of a number I don't know, I will sometimes check with friends beside me to see if they know the number, or I might ring the number back in about half an hour of private number. Of course if I recognise the voice and realise it's someone I don't want to talk to I will just hang up again! :o

I will answer my phone to any unknown number if they keep ringing persistently, although I would often prefer if people just left a voice message leaving their name and why they are calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 littlemuffin26

just after missing(not answering)private phonecall!!got a message during the week from a number i didnt know...dont ask me how i am...tell me who the f*** it is first duh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

StudentDad wrote: »
    I thought I'd throw this in here as it is afterhours :)Some intrepid person keeps trying to ring me using a 'private number.' However, I will not answer 'private numbers.' I don't know it irritates me on some level I suppose.

Am I alone? Am I the only one who thinks in the day and age of 'own number sending' that it's bloody rude to hide your phone number?

SD

this is happening to me too. i will continue to refuse to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Latchy wrote: »
    if the person is not bothered about answering their private phone then why should the caller give them the satisfaction of a message ?

Because if you don't leave a message, it's just a pure waste of a call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Posted this in R&R a while back
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Youre calling me from a "withheld number" -what have you got to hide ?

"But Im ex directory" doesnt cut it. You can still dial 1470/142/whatever before my number
    "But our companies phone system doesnt support caller ID" doesnt cut it either. Its not my problem that your shyteforbrains company wont buy a proper stinking phone system.
    "But it could be important" well then leave a gawdamn voicemail message with your number and I might call you back.

I got caller ID because (despite being ex-directory and TPS registered) the majority of calls I was getting on my landline were from spammers/scammers/nutters/debt-collectors-looking-for-whoever-had-my-number-five-years-ago. Im not going to waste my time answering calls from people who wont even do me the courtesy of being upfront about who they are. Just like I wont open my front door to someone wearing a mask.

You still got a problem with it ? Well sorry Its my phone and Ill answer or not answer it as I damn well see fit.

It is possible for one to be ex directory and not have their number withheld by default so its a pretty lame excuse.

"Unknown" or "Out of area" numbers are usually
    1) Calls from other networks (rare nowadays as caller ID works across most networks)
    2) International calls (also rare nowadays as caller ID works across most countries)
    3) Calls from the @r$€; end of beyond (exchange not yet upgraded to support caller ID)

rubadub wrote: »
    Does that actually ever happen??? randomers ringing up people trying to get a blind date?

Sorry, I didn't mean a blind date. More someone who might have met the girl once and wants to pursue things further even though she has no interest.

Also, a mate of mine's little sister had a phantom fapper who used to call from a private number, Gardaí couldn't do much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

FatherLen wrote: »
    whats the worst that could happen?

Bank, Guards or the doctor is why.

What number is displayed when one receives a call via Skype etc ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I go one step further than just private numbers -I don't answer the door unless I am expecting someone or they ring my phone. Nobody is going around ringing door bells and giving out free cake. (When they do, someone kindly let me know:))

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14938984
    Nigeria's authorities have been forced to reassure the public that a mobile phone number cannot kill, after rumours were spread by text messages.

Viral text messages had warned that several people had died when they answered calls with the ID 09141.

The regulatory body, the Nigerian Communications Commission, said this was "unimaginable" and "unscrupulous persons" were spreading fear.

A BBC reporter was unable to get through to the number.
    'Gullible people'

The text messages gave conflicting accounts of the number of people killed when they answered the call - some put the death toll at seven while others put it at 10.

"Technically, it is not possible for such a thing to happen. It is therefore unimaginable that somebody will die while receiving a call," commission spokesman Reuben Muoka said.

"It is only very gullible people that will believe such a rumour."

Other messages that have caused panic in the past include claims that acid rain from seasonal dust storms can burn people alive, the AP news agency reports.

Poor education and superstitious beliefs lead some Nigerians to take the messages seriously, correspondents say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Linoge wrote: »
    I go one step further than just private numbers -I don't answer the door unless I am expecting someone or they ring my phone. Nobody is going around ringing door bells and giving out free cake. (When they do, someone kindly let me know:))

Forever alone:D Plus you missed out on some lovely cake.

I generally don't answer private numbers,the best instance was someone rang me on a private number and left a voicemail asking me to ring them back.....how the hell could I do that,I didn't have their number.

Ive never been able to figure out why Banks call people from private numbers.

Surely with all the scammers and fraudsters knocking about theyre leaving themselves wide open ?

Yes I know caller ID can be spoofed but still......

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

Just dial 142 before the number and your sorted. or go find an eircom payphone and call from that... that way they have its number ad everytime you call back you will meet somebody new and different :p lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33 raxor

I dunno how true this is, but i labour under the illusion that spammers/scammers/marketers etc. are able to use autodialling systems that can detect when the phone is answered, i.e. that the number is valid and in use. For this reason alone i think it's better not to answer unknown/private numbers.

I went for a couple of years of getting unknown numbers or weird numbers like "00000" calling my phone and in my naivety answering every call that ever rang and more often than not it ended up calling someone else at the same time and we were both left like a pair of gobsh1tes saying "hello?" to each other, when both of us got called from some system. Anyone else ever have that happen?

My policy on phone answering is pretty much the same as front door answering, if i can't identify ya or am not expecting ya then chances are you're either the TV licence inspector, electricity salesman or some other randomer with whom i want to have no interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Oh I wouldn't answer the door either, unless I was expecting someone!

No one I know would just turn up at my door without letting me know in advance. And if they did, that would be pretty rude, that they assume you'd just be sitting around at home and they could intrude on your time like that!

I mean, obviously if they rang to let me know it was them outside, I'd answer the door then, but in my opinion it would be very rude for someone to just show up without letting you know in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You people are mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

redz11 wrote: »

Oh I wouldn't answer the door either, unless I was expecting someone!

No one I know would just turn up at my door without letting me know in advance. And if they did, that would be pretty rude, that they assume you'd just be sitting around at home and they could intrude on your time like that!

I mean, obviously if they rang to let me know it was them outside, I'd answer the door then, but in my opinion it would be very rude for someone to just show up without letting you know in advance.

Last time I answered the door to a random person they were jahovas witness's

Ended up having a game of basketball with them

Seriously .... Some of you people are insane. Living a sheltered life not answering doors or phones thinking your gonna get shot if you do.

I'm no longer gonna take part in this thread.

My final piece of mind is that some people who don't answer these things are a bit paranoid. Just because you answer the phone to a private number doesn't mean the prince of Nigeria gets all your bank account details !

Done and dusted !

robbie_998 wrote: »
    My final piece of mind is that some people who don't answer these things are a bit paranoid.

Since when did not wanting to be interrupted from whatever one was doing to talk to an anonymous uninvited randomer = paranoia ?

I hope youre not a shrink for crysakes. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

StudentDad wrote: »
    I thought I'd throw this in here as it is afterhours :) Some intrepid person keeps trying to ring me using a 'private number.' However, I will not answer 'private numbers.' I don't know it irritates me on some level I suppose.

Am I alone? Am I the only one who thinks in the day and age of 'own number sending' that it's bloody rude to hide your phone number?

SD
    It is, IMO.
    FatherLen wrote: »
    i know loads of people that wont answer private numbers. it pisses me off because my house phone is not listed so comes up as private no. just answer your phone, whats the worst that could happen?
    Because I may not want to speak to the person calling me.
    Just answer the phone ffs. What are they gonna do? Stab you through the headset?
    No, worse. It could be my mother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

My final piece of mind is that some people who don't answer these things are a bit paranoid.

Since when did not wanting to be interrupted from whatever one was doing to talk to an anonymous uninvited randomer = paranoia ?

I hope youre not a shrink for crysakes. !

If you don't want to he interrupted then turn your phone off. Put it on silent or something

But then what if it was an emergency ?

I really can't see why ya wouldn't just answer the post thing for 10 seconds

If you don't want to he interrupted then turn your phone off. Put it on silent or something

Does it always have to be absolutes ?

Generally I am prepared to drop what Im doing to talk to someone I know
    I am NOT prepared to drop what Im doing to talk to someone who wont even do me the courtesty of being upfront about who they are (and in all probability are a scammer/spammer/nutter/looking for someone else anyway)
    If its that bloody important
    1) TELL ME WHO YOU ARE -or failing that
    2) Leave a message -or better still
    3) Call the emergency services (theyre trained for that sort of thing)

Anyway I dont see why Im even bothering to justify myself on this one. Its MY phone and some people dont like how I deal with it they can go ask my hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

No, for the exact reason you said here;
    I really can't see why ya wouldn't just answer the post thing for 10 seconds
    Do you not ever find yourself in the form where you can't be arsed talking to anyone? I like my down time, which is rare enough to come by.

But theres another element to this; why do people expect to be answered there and then? My attitude to this would be that I'll get back to you when I can / not busy.

As far as I'm concerned, if you've nothing to hide or sell, then don't hide your number. You might stand a chance of me ringing you back for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

3) Call the emergency services (theyre trained for that sort of thing)

Anyway I dont see why Im even bothering to justify myself on this one. Its MY phone and some people dont like how I deal with it they can go ask my hole.

But it could be a loved one trying to get in touch with you, to let you know that there is an emergency.

booboo88 wrote: »
    But it could be a loved one trying to get in touch with you, to let you know that there is an emergency.

I refer the right honourable member to the previous two points.
    If its that bloody important
    1) TELL ME WHO YOU ARE -or failing that
    2) Leave a message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i answer private numbers, but i dont say anything until i hear the voice on the other line and i know who it is :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Abi wrote: »
    But theres another element to this; why do people expect to be answered there and then? My attitude to this would be that I'll get back to you when I can / not busy.

Exactly!

This thread makes me want to put Stephen Fry's voice saying, "Talk to me now!" as my ringtone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Last time I answered the door to a random person they were jahovas witness's

Ended up having a game of basketball with them

Seriously .... Some of you people are insane. Living a sheltered life not answering doors or phones thinking your gonna get shot if you do.

I'm no longer gonna take part in this thread.

My final piece of mind is that some people who don't answer these things are a bit paranoid. Just because you answer the phone to a private number doesn't mean the prince of Nigeria gets all your bank account details !

Done and dusted !

LOL, it ain't paranoia it's having the experience to know when my time is my time.
    I don't need or want to be available to everyone known or unknown 24/7 at the end of my phone or the knocker on me door.

99.99% a knock on my door will be Airtricity (6 times in one day), religious nuts, doorsellers, gypsies, survey takers and sundry others I don't want to know or be near or look at.

Private/blocked numbers don't get answered either for the same reason - it's my phone and my time.

It's like asking someone to answer all the mails in their spam folder 'cos it's rude not to' !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Serious preciousness here. So the two reasons are: it's rude to conceal their number (la-dee-dah tbh), they must have something to hide (reading into things a tad methinks - have people been getting calls from MI5 or something?)

What difference to the above will answering make? Plus, if it's from a company, it's hardly the employee's fault that the number is blocked. Would you not even be curious? That's the reason I'd answer them. If it's cold-calling (which, to be fair, it is most of the time) I just say I can't talk right now and hang up. Simples.

And I don't think I've ever answered a call from a number that was blocked due to the caller having something to hide - it's nearly always from an office. People's personal numbers are extremely rarely hidden.

It's a phone-call ffs, not a sinister operation...

• Advertisement

I suspect people have widely different experiences when it comes to the level of nuisance calls they receive.

At my last address I was plauged with both letters and landline calls at all hours from scammers/spammers/nutters and debt collectors looking for the previous occupant (seemingly she had done a runner to Bulgaria owing thousands to various companies). Over the course of four years the number of calls didnt decrease noticeably (Why the fup these companies cant accept the fact that Im not Mrs F******* or that repeatedly calling the same number for four years is unlikely to produce someone admitting to being Mrs F******* is beyond me). It was getting to the point where I was not only refusing to answer calls from withheld numbers bit was seriously considering getting rid of the landline altogether (only really had the damn thing for broadband anyway).
    Dudess wrote: »
    if it's from a company, it's hardly the employee's fault that the number is blocked.

Its hardly my fault that YOUR shyteforbrains company wont buy a proper phone system.

Perhaps I dont want to deal with companies like that ?

Advertisement