Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do you think Ciaran Archer will make a breakthrough to the senior panel next year and when does the club championships resume?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

billyhead wrote: »
    Do you think Ciaran Archer will make a breakthrough to the senior panel next year and when does the club championships resume?
    A lot of champonship fixtures lined up for weekend after next in football.
    You will probably see a lot of the younger players tried out in the O Byrne Cup and then a few used in the league. Not every Minor or U 20 will wear the Senior jersey. Archer had a good Summer but is a long way off being physically developed for a Summer county championship. Dublin management have nearly perfected the development of players through the age groups and each year produce some lad that gets people saying " where the fxxx did he come from?"
    There probably will be a few of the more senior lads retiring but it does look as if there are plenty ready to fill their boots

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    In the mix for six!

Hands up. I don't think that would be a great thing. Will still be shouting for them of course.

I think Dublin won't do it next year.
    Because those 10/11 lads from the 2011 team will finally be phased out of the panel. I am not sure what is coming after them is of the same standard when they were at thier peak. Even though many of them do not start they are basically the bench. The bench has proven this year that it has not been as effective as previous years when it came to the crunch.
    There is definitely a dip there.

Also after doing five in a row it is only natural that there is a relaxing of standards and mindset. Even Jim Gavin was smiling after the final whistle. It was a mixture of joy and relief. It must have been taking a toll pressure wise - he could have been known as the fella that threw 5 in a row away,

That Kerry team look like they are going to be a really special group and definitely will only get better and learn from thier mistakes.
    They look more than capable of creating that colletive spirit that Dublin have now. Plus the provincal system helps Kerry as they can time when they want to peak for later in the year.

Donegal are another team I would be wary of as they have been gradually bubbling under and have the ability to switch between attacking or defenisve football. They are very dependant on Murphy though.

I do not see much threat from the rest in the near future.
    Mayo need a bit of a clear out at this stage they will struggle to replace those old warriors.

Kildare will be on a rebuild with Jack O'Connor depending on thier u21's and minors. The only way is up for them as they should be doing way better with what they have.

Cork will be the same Ronan McCarthy has added Cian O'Neill to his back room team. And Kevin Smith as S&C coach.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/former-kildare-manager-cian-oneill-becomes-cork-senior-football-coach-951275.html

"O’Neill is head of the Department of Sports, Leisure and Childhood Studies at Cork Institute of Technology."
    "
    Kevin is a former head of S&C at Stade Français Rugby Club and is currently completing a PhD at Cork Institute of Technology."

So Cork are definitely one to watch but it will take them a bit of time to gel all that raw talent they have together.
    I was very impressed with Cork when they played Dublin in the Super 8's they seem to have clever players and a strategy- what they seem to need is the conditioning to be able to play in that style for more of the match.
    Instead of fading in the last 20 minutes time and again.

It will take a few years for a new Galway manager to change thier mindset and tactics. And actually use the attacking talent at thier disposal while maintaining a balance defensively.

Meath are improving but they were going so badly it was not difficult to see some sort of improvement. They need to find a couple of consistent forwards from somewhere.
    They are talking up Shane Walsh
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/4320469/meath-gaa-shane-walsh-ethan-devine-young-talent-finian-murtagh/
    But when called upon v Mayo he choked a bit.
    Maybe he will learn to deal with the nerves in time?

Tyrone seem to be a strange case of the lot they definitely seem to have the players, but they are so inflexible with thier tactics they will never progress beyond a certain point. How do you get rid of a living legend like Mickey Harte?

So after all that I can really only see two challengers to Dublin, Donegal and Kerry in the next few years. But they are both tough obstacles.
    As Dublin dip I can see Donegal and Kerry rising.
    The rest of the teams I mentioned are a good bit off standard wise except Tyrone who just need a change of mindset.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Well lads, I see Vincent's v Ballinteer (I think) is fixed for next Friday in Monastery Road.

2 questions. Is that Round Tower GAA club? And will Diarmuid Connolly be playing?

Thinking of heading into it to see him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

dobman88 wrote: »
    Well lads, I see Vincent's v Ballinteer (I think) is fixed for next Friday in Monastery Road.

2 questions. Is that Round Tower GAA club? And will Diarmuid Connolly be playing?

Thinking of heading into it to see him play.

That's Towers ground. You'd imagine Connolly will be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Lads, does anyone know when the fixtures for the 2020 NFL are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Usually in October. Dublin at home to Kerry. That should be a huge night. Properly promoted could get 60,000. Also at home to Monaghan, Meath and Donegal. Away to Mayo, Galway and Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Usually in October. Dublin at home to Kerry. That should be a huge night. Properly promoted could get 60,000. Also at home to Monaghan, Meath and Donegal. Away to Mayo, Galway and Tyrone.

Thanks.

Gf wants me to take her to her first game after being made watch the drawn game and replay

Dublin and Kerry at home it is. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You're hoping 59k Dubs show up. Optimistic.

I'd say a lot of people who missed the finals will go, and could be promoted as well through clubs with concessions for juveniles, etc. It is once again the main rivalry so that will boost interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Not doubting you but how do you know we are home to Meath?
    Won’t lie was looking forward to a trip to Naaaavan.

Might give Tyrone a miss pain in me hole going to Omagh :)

I'm just assuming that because we were away for four games last year and two of those were in Cavan and Roscommon. So promoted sides take their spots I assume.

Or would that make too much sense!

But do agree. Navan and a near full house. Used to love going down there for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm just assuming that because we were away for four games last year and two of those were in Cavan and Roscommon. So promoted sides take their spots I assume.

But do agree. Navan and a near full house. Used to love going down there for games.

I haven't been in pairc tailteann since Joe McNally scored against a team up there way back!:D 1996 or thereabouts. Could be worth a trip.

Last time I was there was for under 21s in 2003. Long time since seniors played there. Twice in 1995 against Louth and Laois is last I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Last time I was there was for under 21s in 2003. Long time since seniors played there. Twice in 1995 against Louth and Laois is last I recall.

Louth. That's the game. Mickey Whelan brought Joe back. The place hasn't changed much. Passed it a couple of months ago. The memories of league games before I was married!

I lived there for a while in the early 80s. Great town and pubs. We were playing them one time in league in late 1981 and I was in Kavanaghs (now sadly gone) with friend of mine from the town when dubs started to arrive in from the bus.

Your man looked at the door and muttered. "Ah here's those c0nts." Then looked at me after a few seconds and added: "Not you of course." :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not doubting you but how do you know we are home to Meath?
    Won’t lie was looking forward to a trip to Naaaavan.

Might give Tyrone a miss pain in me hole going to Omagh :)

Cheap beer and wine in Enniskillen just keeps bringin' me back to Healy Park games. Been up there that often lately its actually locked now into my cars sat nav system.

Big win for Vinnies in hurling semi final. Beat Boden well in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Yeah very much makes sense never thought of that. Say you are bang on.

Callaghan scored 2 - 3 today in Cuala's hammering of Crokes in quarter final.

I'd imagine Anthony Daly will be looking for a new job.

• Advertisement

Eventbrite doing tickets for 'the homecoming'. Access to Merrion Sq by ticket only now. This could've been better without political interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'd imagine Anthony Daly will be looking for a new job.

How many teams is Daly involved in? Is it just Crokes?

At the moment. I'd imagine he is hoping for some county to approach him, but his time with Crokes could not be said to have been a success. The "investment" required that they win a county and they look no nearer doing so than at any time in last ten years and some of their better players are nearing their end.

Cuala look to have found their mojo again and in truth are only Dublin club that would give Leinster a rattle. Semi against Vinnies will be a battle all the same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Saw the highlights for one of his goals, he's doing the same thing in hurling that he does in the football, i.e. run directly into the defender, knock him over, then run at goal.

He is a beast for sure! He has great instinct and first touch. He would make some difference to the county team, but that's never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Eventbrite doing tickets for 'the homecoming'. Access to Merrion Sq by ticket only now. This could've been better without political interference.

Gimme the Smithfield type setup anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Fann Linn wrote: »

It's going to turn into a sh1t show. First the waiting 2 weeks and now its a ticket event. Suppose health and safety. I hope they can get insurance.

And all the politicians on the platform trying to feed off the teams, like cockroaches in a cornflakes box. And some of them voting to stop banners being put on bridges. I wonder how much Eventbrite are getting from our Local Property Tax for this gig?

All gone. 15000 tickets. No special needs available. Typical FF.
    Fcuking things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Not happy with the way this event was done at all from moment i heard the changes been made didn't feel right about it.

Didnt even know tickets where out today only heard there was an Eventbrite yoke setup yesterday.

Ah sure look not to worry I seen the best part of the summer already I can live without the political / corporate celebrations ha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement