Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

In any other city where a team wins something - off top of head Liverpool CL, Golden State Warriors winning NBA - there is a open top bus through the streets within a day or two of the event.

Here, all the spontaneity is taken out of it, and controlled by event managers, politicians, and city officials who have nothing to do with the team, nor in most cases probably any affinity to it.

Put away for a dull Sunday weeks later and micro managed to ridiculous degree.

That'll learn us Dubs to have anything nice, to paraphrase the gimp from the Irish times who lost the plot over a Dubs banner being placed on the Ha'penny Bridge for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

the only issue i would have with a bus is that the crowd would be very sparse for most parts and would look awful and in fact embarrass the teams .Dublin itself despite the population is not consumed by GAA i wonder how many people living here actually identify themselves as dubs or really care about the GAA most of the support is spread around the outskirts i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Quiz time

In the AIF from 2011, ’13, ’15, ’16, ’17, ’18 and ’19 two players have started every final and five players have played in every final>

Who are they? (the 2 are included in the 5)

1. Cluxton
    2. Fitzsimons

1. Cluxton
    2. Fitzsimons
    3. MDM
    4. McMenaman
    5. O'sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Swap out Fitz for McCarthy above

• Advertisement

Had forgotten he was there in 2011. Obviously! What year did Fitz not start? He's like the ghost in the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Is it just on my end or does the stream for homecoming having no audio?

Scrap that there's some now.

Haveyou link for that? Is it Dubs TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Giving away passes at barriers if anybody is nearby and wants to go

• Advertisement

Come out ye Black and Tans!

The Wolfe tones not engaging in any revisionism anyway :-)

Ten or twenty minutes this music is grand but after a while.....

I guess it's Sunday most would be listening to it in a pub somewhere anyway if your up for that!

Whelan is looking well. Must be 75?

Getting far to used to seeing Marty at these homecomings every year now!

Jesus whoever done the audio and visual for this won't get a job again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Jesus whoever done the audio and visual for this won't get a job again!

Yes they will.

This is Ireland.

Should never of had the women's team there today unless it was for them alone.

Been going on and on about men's team and level of there achievement then women walk on to moderate cheers.

Sure id say its first time most the crowd have ever seen them anyway. Could walk by them on street and wouldn't know any different.

They should of got there own celebration if it was actually that important to Dublin gaa and the organisers.

Ah now! They are great bunch and seem to be enjoying themselves. A lot of the kids there would have been more likely to have been at womens than men's final. including two of my nieces.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Ah now! They are great bunch and seem to be enjoying themselves. A lot of the kids there would have been more likely to have been at womens than men's final. including two of my nieces.

That's great I've no issue with what there doing and fair play they deserve it 3 in a row is amazing in any sport.

What I'm saying is that this day is for the men most people turned up for there team. Sure the direction of the whole show is aimed at the men. I dunno how the women feel about it but I'm sure some will feel we got half hour spare between the main event here.

Why not just give them there own day let the people who have followed them all season be there and probably appreciate a lot more what they done.

There are not many women's teams in world of sport that share a stage with the mens and at this point rightly so because there different games different markets different sports almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Should never of had the women's team there today unless it was for them alone.

Been going on and on about men's team and level of there achievement then women walk on to moderate cheers.

Sure id say its first time most the crowd have ever seen them anyway. Could walk by them on street and wouldn't know any different.

They should of got there own celebration if it was actually that important to Dublin gaa and the organisers.

One the other hand it gets others who do not know the ladies footballers to get to know them - gives them a bit of profile they would not otherwise get.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Marty, he knows his stuff. Its not an easy gig and would be easy to make a mess of if the MC wasn't up to speed on the players and games. He doesn't do womens games, so top marks for that.

One the other hand it gets others who do not know the ladies footballers to get to know them - gives them a bit of profile they would not otherwise get.

True I guess but I also think a lot in the crowd and even on stream are like come on get the lads on.

It's like going to a gig and watching the support before the main band. I know what the organisers are trying do here but sport is not at that stage yet and I don't know if it will ever be.

In fairness to Marty, he knows his stuff. Its not an easy gig and would be easy to make a mess of if the MC wasn't up to speed on the players and games. He doesn't do womens games, so top marks for that.

He's good at what he does in general most thr time.

True I guess but I also think a lot in the crowd and even on stream are like come on get the lads on.

It's like going to a gig and watching the support before the main band. I know what the organisers are trying do here but sport is not at that stage yet and I don't know if it will ever be.

But that is just the truth of it no matter what the sport, women's sport will always be the support act to men's. It is just the nature of things and women in general are not interested in watching sport - nevermind women's sport - unless it is an 'event'.

He has a fierce job to keep the small talk going.
    I suppose someone has to do it.

Wonder where Connelly and Costello where? Any others missing?

Always nice to hear the lads talk some obviously enjoy it more then others!

No sign of Cluxton or Gavin going anywhere. Think If anyone finishes up it be Bernard still think he has another year in him though!

The Raheny lads were absent too. I'd say it was a later night there after the match last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

1. Cluxton
    2. Fitzsimons

1. Cluxton
    2. Fitzsimons
    3. MDM
    4. McMenaman
    5. O'sullivan
    Joekers wrote: »
    Swap out Fitz for McCarthy above

Close!

1. Cluxton
    2. McCarthy

1. Cluxton
    2. McCarthy
    3. McMahon

4. McMenaman
    5. O'sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

.Dublin itself despite the population is not consumed by GAA i wonder how many people living here actually identify themselves as dubs or really care about the GAA most of the support is spread around the outskirts i think.

Never mind, identify as Dubs, how many people living in Dublin are even Irish at this stage? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Was Jack McCaffrey there, the two Brians from Raheny were there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement