Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Anyone know ( for deffo) what date the final will be next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anyone know ( for deffo) what date the final will be next year.

Not likely.

You'll have to wait until the master fixtures for next year are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Should be a 2 week break between last super 8 game and the Semi Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

On a lighter note folks, I treated myself. via Youtube, to a complete run through of the 5 in a row. I even lobbed in a couple of Semi finals for the craic. Great great memories of the matches, the people, where I was, the drama of real life experiences in those years and more! If there isn't a massive documentary about this and lots of books, I'll do it myself.

Best day off work ever!!:D

COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Bringing Dermo on was the correct decision, he’s a brilliant footballer with an eye for an opening or a pass. He needed to bring someone on that would keep Kerry as occupied as Jack McCaffrey would.

I thought Costello worked hard when he came on but didn’t really get the rub of the green with his possessions.

Smart move by Gavin bringing Costello and Kev Mc on to a tired Kerry defence who must have feared pushing forward too hard for the score and leave themselves vulnerable on the break.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »

That's the expectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

hunter164 wrote: »
    Bringing Dermo on was the correct decision, he’s a brilliant footballer with an eye for an opening or a pass. He needed to bring someone on that would keep Kerry as occupied as Jack McCaffrey would.

I thought Costello worked hard when he came on but didn’t really get the rub of the green with his possessions.

Smart move by Gavin bringing Costello and Kev Mc on to a tired Kerry defence who must have feared pushing forward too hard for the score and leave themselves vulnerable on the break.

Dermo's also very powerful, given his class you can tend to forget how good he is in the air and how hard he is to knock off the ball. Put in sone great challenges at the end of the drawn game also.

Be interesting to see what role he plays in the next few years assuming he's fully back now.

Thought Costello would have kicked on a bit more by now given the reputation he had. Hopefully next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Connolly was definitely rusty but on an another day he gets 1-1 from play, lays on Kilkenny and Scully and does some good work in defence.

There's still great fluency in his movement though. If he wants it he should be able to play a big part next year and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Wouldn't worry about Gavin, Clucko, Brogan, Paddy or Connolly for the future.

But Murch just has to be the best bouncer ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Badabing wrote: »

Unless they take a booking in Croker for the World Meeting of Nuns or the Christian Brothers Annual Camping Jamboree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

https://youtu.be/FtnJPTENOKk

8 years ago today. Goosebumps every time I watch it. Just pure heart racing drama.McManamons goal,Nolan's point,Bernard off his weaker foot from a tight angle,and well we all know how it ends ;)

The noise when the whistle went,deafening,pure pandemonium,limbs flying everywhere,strangers kissing and hugging each other,tears flowing.What a day.I'd never of thought coming out of the stadium that day that better days lay ahead :D. Blessed too have been there and the many special days since.

Baile Átha Cliath Abú!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Bret Hart wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/FtnJPTENOKk

8 years ago today. Goosebumps every time I watch it. Just pure heart racing drama.McManamons goal,Nolan's point,Bernard off his weaker foot from a tight angle,and well we all know how it ends ;)

The noise when the whistle went,deafening,pure pandemonium,limbs flying everywhere,strangers kissing and hugging each other,tears flowing.What a day.I'd never of thought coming out of the stadium that day that better days lay ahead :D. Blessed too have been there and the many special days since.

Baile Átha Cliath Abú!!

behind the goal for it...best sporting moment I've experienced.

Kevin Nolan 64:40 seconds...dublins forgotten man. incredible point. had as much of a hand in that win as mcmanamons goal and cluckos point. went to the red parrot after the game, somehow somewhere someone got a hold of about 50 cardboard cut out colm cooper faces. There was about 50 lads on top of tables with the gooch cut outs on in dublin jerseys shouting 'gooch, gooch' beer flying everywhere. was like a mad dream or something...funny stuff.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublins-forgotten-man-how-a-run-of-bad-luck-forced-2011-all-ireland-manofthematch-off-the-radar-35094666.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,771 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh the sweet sweet taste of bitter tears

https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1174072245896876032?s=19

RTE couldn't let the players enjoy a daycent hangover before airing this rubbish.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

As Yeats said about the downfall of Parnell (appropriately enough):

The Irish are like rabid dogs, always trying to drag down the Great Stag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

JRant wrote: »

RTE couldn't let the players enjoy a daycent hangover before airing this rubbish.

Who's the bearded lad telling the entire county what we want?

JRant wrote: »

Bonniedog wrote: »
    As Yeats said about the downfall of Parnell (appropriately enough):

The Irish are like rabid dogs, always trying to drag down the Great Stag.

Fooking sad stuff altogether. I'm a Dub living in the stix and the anti Dublin bile is incredible. History? Nah! A great team? Nah. Nothing but bitter, misinformed rants/chats and even banter. It's all rubbish stuff. My daughter came home from school on Monday. She has never actually lived in Dublin, but is nailed to the colours from her upbringing even if it was an Arnotts bought pink version in 2011.:D Her teacher asked the class who they supported last Saturday. Up shot the hands for a beaten Kerry. Then up shot my daughters hand for the Dubs. That's my girl! She knows her roots. They have a "blue" day after Christmas and she wants to wear my Dubs jersey . Once again that's my girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Im sick of it now. Its everywhere. RTE programme about unfair funding..you couldnt make it it ffs.
    Whatever about the funding but, i for one would be happy to stay out of Croke park up until the semi finals of Leinster and the Championship(providing we get there;).
    One game in CP for the super 8's. They will still bitch and moan.
    Everyone seems to know what the problem is but not one of these so called experts have an answer.
    Split Dublin?? No supporters. The game dies.
    The pedantic b*stard in me says give them what they want so we can all go" told you so " not really.
    Im taking a break.. im going mad:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah, let them grouch.

To be honest, it's not a conversation about Dublin that they need to be having, it's a conversation about the fact that the only teams that're going to win it from now on will be teams that're essentially professional. A far worse problem, because some counties are never going to make that grade, and crippling Dublin (or Kerry, or Mayo, or whoever) isn't going to bring a county like Sligo or Offaly up to par. I don't know how to deal with that problem, but I think that's more of an issue than funding for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭eire4

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ah, let them grouch.

To be honest, it's not a conversation about Dublin that they need to be having, it's a conversation about the fact that the only teams that're going to win it from now on will be teams that're essentially professional. A far worse problem, because some counties are never going to make that grade, and crippling Dublin (or Kerry, or Mayo, or whoever) isn't going to bring a county like Sligo or Offaly up to par. I don't know how to deal with that problem, but I think that's more of an issue than funding for kids.

The whole split Dublin rubbish has always been what really got on my wick. Right yeah the answer to making things more competitive is to hobble the teams doing well bring them down a level. Great idea lower the standards.
    Beyond that as you say Sligo Offaly etc are not going to be any better doing this. My attitude is ok you want to split Dublin and spit in the face of all us Dubs and the pride we have always had in our county including before this amazing run began when we were winning feck all then that means a whole bunch of other counties have to go too. Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon your done all merged into one team have fun picking a name. Louth Monaghan and Armagh bye bye pick a new name. Same for Meat Westmeath and Offaly. I could go on.
    The reality is it is absurd and smacks of bitterness and a real high level of arrogance. I have always been proud to be a Dub and support my county and the arrogance of people who want to take that away is loathsome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭eire4

I will add on a side note that the bitterness of those jealous of our recent success just makes it all the sweeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,310 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

eire4 wrote: »
    I will add on a side note that the bitterness of those jealous of our recent success just makes it all the sweeter.

It is funny the way the detractors cannot see anything positive about Dublin how they brought the game on advanced tactics, how the players are so calm and intelligent on the pitch more often than not.
    How there is no stories from the Dublin camp of of fellas sulking that they were left out of the team.
    How the players stay having the hunger to achieve more the next year etc.
    None of these practical things seem to be factored in.
    I have reached the conclusion that Dublin's most vehement detractors are not GAA fans at all, maybe some are not even sports fans.

Because if I saw any other county doing what Dublin have done I would stand back and say fair play, Much like the Kerry minors success or the Kilkenny hurling era of success that I was fortunate to witness.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

There will always be petty small minded people who resent the success of others, no matter what it is,

There is a legitimate debate about Croke Park population, and even funding, but stuff is being distorted and thrown about just as a way of trying to discredit the team.

A lot of the people retailing this are not very bright and there is a common belief that players are paid, with a more sinister insinuation that they are on PEDs.

None of this matters as such people will soon find some other tabloid distraction. There are also a significant number of people who just hate Dublin and Dubliners, It is no more rational or subject to sane discourse than hatred of someone because of their colour, sexual preference, religion or whatever. Let them fester in it.

The truly laughable aspect of all the begrudgery is that this Dublin team single handedly killed the blanket defense. There was talk that this was the only way to ever win a championship, especially when Donegal hopped off us.

Yet this Dublin team and management have shown that if you work just as hard with the ball as without it then the scores will come. If a team wants to put 14 behind the ball then just wait patiently and take your points. Blanket defenses have no answer to this and teams can't score enough with this mentality either.

They've brought the kick pass back into the game, along with movement and pace. There is so much to admire about this current team. In much the same way Kilkenny changed how hurling is played, they are doing the same with football. It may take another few years and braver managers than the current crop of bore the shïte out of everyone blanket defense merchants.

There will always be petty small minded people who resent the success of others, no matter what it is,

There is a legitimate debate about Croke Park population, and even funding, but stuff is being distorted and thrown about just as a way of trying to discredit the team.

A lot of the people retailing this are not very bright and there is a common belief that players are paid, with a more sinister insinuation that they are on PEDs.

None of this matters as such people will soon find some other tabloid distraction. There are also a significant number of people who just hate Dublin and Dubliners, It is no more rational or subject to sane discourse than hatred of someone because of their colour, sexual preference, religion or whatever. Let them fester in it.

I agree with you Bonniedog.

There will always be people who will resent and be jealous of the success of the others.The legitimate debate is as you rightly say been used as a means to undermine the achievements of a truly team.

I do not think the belief that the Dublin players are paid is widely held at all.More an urban myth.

The talk is more re the figures for appearance money.The stuff re meal deliveries etc is another hardly credible stick to beat them with.

The apparent insinuation of the use of PEDs is despicable TBH.

There are parties on both sides of the fence who dislike each other.Tis not a one way street.

There's always an element of Dublin v the other 31 counties but I think the element of hatred is grossly overestimated.Peoples get very passionate re the gaaaaah,are very proud of their county origins and will defend them to the last.That's what I like about this forum in spite of some critics of it.

I watched The Saturday Game and in all honesty it greatly depressed me as IMO this is the greatest gaelic football team in the history of the association.That first half of the replay was of a standard out of this world.

Where's the hope for others?

I can't see you guys been beaten in the near future.Comerford,Murchan,McCaffrey,Fenton,Kilkenny,O Callaghan,Small and some those minor forwards.

My female Dublin cousin has posted elsewhere re the start of the drive for uimhir a se.

Unsurprisingly I deleted the offending post immediately.

In the mix for six!

Hands up. I don't think that would be a great thing. Will still be shouting for them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭omega man

In the mix for six!

Hands up. I don't think that would be a great thing. Will still be shouting for them of course.

Prefer the buzzin’ for half a dozen. Good dublin wit.

Fcuk it I hope we do. We’ve nothing to hide from and the panel are hungry as ever. There’ll be motivation from the younger lads to catch the more senior lads celtic cross numbers! A lot will depend on Jim and Stephen though.

The pressure is off the team now. They looked nervous at times this year. We might see the shackles off next year :)

In the mix for six!

Ah feck it Bonnie, just had a few pints with my Da and he is convinced Jim will stand down. Now I wouldn't believe a word out of his gob, because when I was running around a pitch in Erins Isle in the late, late 70s, he was in Dalymount Park.:eek:

Buzzin for the half dozen? Personally, I've seen enough and thankful that I lived to see it. Thankful that I lived to see it with so many and have a little link to it all. Jim was in the same year as me in Moyle Park. Started in 1984 after moving from Finglas. I tried out with him on the same pitch for the school team and ended up in the stands watching him. I was crap! Hardly got a game for Towers either. But I share that particular link with a few others as I was on the pitch with him. Never thought that it would bring us to this great moment. But so proud it did and delighted for Jim Gavin.

Where do you go from there! It can't be surpassed.

Moving from Finglas to Clondalkin. Can't figure out if that's a good move having moved the opposite way :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is funny the way the detractors cannot see anything positive about Dublin how they brought the game on advanced tactics, how the players are so calm and intelligent on the pitch more often than not.
    How there is no stories from the Dublin camp of of fellas sulking that they were left out of the team.
    How the players stay having the hunger to achieve more the next year etc.
    None of these practical things seem to be factored in.
    I have reached the conclusion that Dublin's most vehement detractors are not GAA fans at all, maybe some are not even sports fans.

Because if I saw any other county doing what Dublin have done I would stand back and say fair play, Much like the Kerry minors success or the Kilkenny hurling era of success that I was fortunate to witness.

You will notice if you look carefully that many of the anti-Dub posters in the Dublin dominance thread do not post in their own county threads, have no interest in the club game, and are only interested in their own county's success at national level and have no genuine concern for the game as a whole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement