Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Why is there so much talk of Cluxtons retirement? In his speech after complimenting Kerry, did he not say "hopefully we will be back here with you next year in the later stages" or something along those lines??? We as in him included?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

muddle84 wrote: »
    Why is there so much talk of Cluxtons retirement? In his speech after complimenting Kerry, did he not say "hopefully we will be back here with you next year in the later stages" or something along those lines??? We as in him included?

I don't get it either

Every year, there's people saying that's it, he's gonna retire now. Why? There is zero evidence for it.

He does a lap of honor with the team too every year. Didn't do it in 2011, or in 2013, when he just walked down to the Hill, gave everyone a quick wave & them headed off to do his own thing. But he stays out now with the rest of the team & has done since 2015. No idea why people keep trying to interpret that as a sign of him leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I think people are being a bit unfair to the women.

Today's game was totally skewed by the conditions. It is normally a much better game to watch and in fairness I thought both teams coped reasonably well once the game settled in.

Dublin had that bit more experience and used the ball better in the second half.

It is not of course on same par as the men's game, but as a women's sport it is undoubtedly the elite game in this country in terms of fitness, skill and so on. Anyone who wants to see a really bad example of a women's sport should watch womens rugby. nobody does, and for a good reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't mind there being a joint celebration what is annoying me is why is it in 2 weeks time and not in 2 days time? No way should it be in 2 weeks that is too long after they have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Floppybits wrote: »
    I don't mind there being a joint celebration what is annoying me is why is it in 2 weeks time and not in 2 days time? No way should it be in 2 weeks that is too long after they have won.

All I seen mentioned was holidays etc.

• Advertisement

If it is decision of city council then I would be suspicious.

The Lord Mayor has never been involved in GAA in Finglas despite his sending infantile and embarrassing tweets to the Kerry mayor as if it had the slightest fkn thing to do with him, and other biggest party is the Greens who obviously despise "the gah" and the peasants generally.

Probably to suit those assh1es agenda. Nothing to do with either team you may be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

In every game Cluxton either pulls off a save or makes an important kickout that changes the course of a game. He is the goalkeeper that has changed the the whole attitude towards the game and the goalkeepers contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Edgware wrote: »
    In every game Cluxton either pulls off a save or makes an important kickout that changes the course of a game. He is the goalkeeper that has changed the the whole attitude towards the game and the goalkeepers contribution

True.

A player who has singlehandedly revolutionized the position of goalkeeper in modern GAA. Far from just lumping up a goal kick and letting a 50/50 fight ensue, the attack, the creativity begins with the kickout. Aided by often five players or more making runs, dragging attackers and their markers out of position, towards the sideline then a 30 yard simple pass to someone very loosely marked up the middle, then visa versa...the opposition marking shadows around the place. Possession is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Strumms wrote: »
    True.

A player who has singlehandedly revolutionized the position of goalkeeper in modern GAA. Far from just lumping up a goal kick and letting a 50/50 fight ensue, the attack, the creativity begins with the kickout. Aided by often five players or more making runs, dragging attackers and their markers out of position, towards the sideline then a 30 yard simple pass to someone very loosely marked up the middle, then visa versa...the opposition marking shadows around the place. Possession is everything.

He has revolutionised every position.

All of a sudden in his era half forwards are dropping deep to receive ball. Half backs are opening up the middle... Literally the whole game has just turned on its head because of the possession based game we play.

The amount of kick outs yesterday that seemed to be just simple whips out to the right (Cusack side) in the first half and then you look at the chaos caused by our running on the left and in the middle and you see the effect of what we're doing. It's astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There's no chance cluxton or gavin leave while on a winstreak. As long as gavin doesn't go more then 2 years without an AI I think he'll stay on with the aim to beat Kerry's total of 38. He'll probably retire when you hit 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    There's no chance cluxton or gavin leave while on a winstreak. As long as gavin doesn't go more then 2 years without an AI I think he'll stay on with the aim to beat Kerry's total of 38. He'll probably retire when you hit 40.

You need to check out Kerrys total again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I know they claimed 50k for last years final but it is really a manufacturer crowd full of schoolkids bussed from all over the country.

I think calling it a manufactured crowd is probably a bit strong although i agree with you with respect to the standard still being well below the mens senior intercounty game.

Obviously for a mens senior final it is impossible for clubs to bring large groups of juvenile players due to the demand for tickets. However the Ladies game allows this to happen. All those kids (mainly girls) are players with a passion for the sport they play. Being able to bring them en masse as team groups to see the pinnacle of their sport (irrespective of peoples opinion of that sport) is way off being manufactured.

It is allowing young players to see their role models at their peak. I know in my own club which has all four codes the Juvenile ladies football section is booming numbers wise. There is genuinley a massive interest in the game amongst young girls and the important fact is that there is strong player retention.

Big occasions like yesterdays final provide brilliant opportunities for young players get a day out with their team mates watching a sport that they are genuinely passionate about.

Paulzx wrote: »
    I think calling it a manufactured crowd is probably a bit strong although i agree with you with respect to the standard still being well below the mens senior intercounty game.

Obviously for a mens senior final it is impossible for clubs to bring large groups of juvenile players due to the demand for tickets. However the Ladies game allows this to happen. All those kids (mainly girls) are players with a passion for the sport they play. Being able to bring them en masse as team groups to see the pinnacle of their sport (irrespective of peoples opinion of that sport) is way off being manufactured.

It is allowing young players to see their role models at their peak. I know in my own club which has all four codes the Juvenile ladies football section is booming numbers wise. There is genuinley a massive interest in the game amongst young girls and the important fact is that there is strong player retention.

Big occasions like yesterdays final provide brilliant opportunities for young players get a day out with their team mates watching a sport that they are genuinely passionate about.

The number of young girls taking up football and camogie across the country is immense. I know a lot of free tickets are pushed out but so what. The importance of team work, physical fitness, club loyalty that the girls learn is great. It builds up their confidence and creates friendships which young girls really need as they mature. They see senior players getting media coverage and ending up doing T.V. analysis etc. The growth of female participation in all sports is very positive for society

Can see from my own area that it is hugely popular among young girls. What could be wrong with that! And the more promotion the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Credit where it's due, the promotion and marketing is brilliant and yes its great that young players get to see a big game in Croke Park but lets not pretend that the crowd is indicative of the level of interest out there.

Indeed. GAA might take a leaf out of the LGFA book when it comes to promotion. League should be made a lot more prominent. A lot of people are barely aware of games early in the year because RTE pays little or no attention to them. They need to ramp up the publicity, Dublin/Kerry will be big crowd anyway, but promotion through clubs and media could see 60,000 there. Likewise for other big games in the dividision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Actually in the LOI thread in the Soccer forum they are using it as an example of what can be done with good marketing and promotion in comparison to the shocking efforts of the FAI in promoting local football

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Indeed. GAA might take a leaf out of the LGFA book when it comes to promotion. League should be made a lot more prominent. A lot of people are barely aware of games early in the year because RTE pays little or no attention to them. They need to ramp up the publicity, Dublin/Kerry will be big crowd anyway, but promotion through clubs and media could see 60,000 there. Likewise for other big games in the dividision.

It is alot easier to do for a one off flagship game from both an advertising perspective and convincing people (look at the attendance of the ladies semi finals). People barely pay attention to the ladies game, final aside, and thats despite the great marketing from LIDL, LGFA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If it is decision of city council then I would be suspicious.

The Lord Mayor has never been involved in GAA in Finglas despite his sending infantile and embarrassing tweets to the Kerry mayor as if it had the slightest fkn thing to do with him, and other biggest party is the Greens who obviously despise "the gah" and the peasants generally.

Probably to suit those assh1es agenda. Nothing to do with either team you may be sure.

He is a member of and his kids play for Kickhams

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The number of young girls taking up football and camogie across the country is immense. I know a lot of free tickets are pushed out but so what. The importance of team work, physical fitness, club loyalty that the girls learn is great. It builds up their confidence and creates friendships which young girls really need as they mature. They see senior players getting media coverage and ending up doing T.V. analysis etc. The growth of female participation in all sports is very positive for society

There are very few free tickets even though they may seem so! Every club in the country MUST pay €150 All Ireland levy, for which every club may claim All Ireland tickets - 2 adult and 20 juvenile tickets or 6 adult I think.

• Advertisement

Of course another advantage of the increase in the female participation underage is the increased involvment of the mothers in the clubs. They do an amount of administration and organisation as well as having their non competitive participation, football fun etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Of course another advantage of the increase in the female participation underage is the increased involvment of the mothers in the clubs. They do an amount of administration and organisation as well as having their non competitive participation, football fun etc

And lots of high quality coaching and mentoring also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

A belated congrats to the Dubs on a fully deserved win , have to say the Dubs were a different animal on Saturday, away sharper and more direct, thought we did well to be going in at half time all level

Kilkenny's movement for the goal was crucial in making space for Murchan to run into and then yer lads just stayed patient and worked the ball better then they did in the drawn game, there was no wild shooting last Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭eire4

Not only that but his form has been superb this season as well as he has played for some time so personally I would expect to see him still in the team next term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Enjoyed the game immensely and yesterday was wondering what kind of game would have happened in the rain / crap conditions. It was such a perfect evening for free flowing football.

Opinion i had *at* the game that i have dialed back a small bit is that Connolly had an absoloute shocker.

He always went for the unreal pass or touch and turned over the ball 2 or 3 times. But then watched it back and saw him disposess twice at least and then the through ball for Kilkenny was unreal and set up another point.

When Dublin brought on Kev Mc Fenton trotted over to DC and put his arm around him and said something to him and DC broke away from Fenton and looked at him with a 'eh what' expressison and that read massive to me. Although he was playing along with the team culture i still think DC thinks he's the player from 2013/2014 that everything he touched turned to gold. He even doubted himself on front of goal when before he would have slotted that shot low and hard and got the goal

I think had Dublin lost it would have been Gavins legacy that he brought him back and put him on.

After the Kev Mc sub they pushed him up as the lone player in FF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If Dublin had lost, Gavin's legacy would be winning the 4 in a row and 5 all irelands in six years. Not bringing Diarmuid Connolly back.

Who's the guy who is always sitting in the Ard Comhairle section. He's been there at all presentations since 2011. Small, dark, about mid/late 50s. Was wearing a Dublin tee shirt top, right behind Higgins.

Thought he might be something to do with AIG but almost certain he has been there a few years before they came on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

BKWDR wrote: »
    Enjoyed the game immensely and yesterday was wondering what kind of game would have happened in the rain / crap conditions. It was such a perfect evening for free flowing football.

Opinion i had *at* the game that i have dialed back a small bit is that Connolly had an absoloute shocker.

He always went for the unreal pass or touch and turned over the ball 2 or 3 times. But then watched it back and saw him disposess twice at least and then the through ball for Kilkenny was unreal and set up another point.

When Dublin brought on Kev Mc Fenton trotted over to DC and put his arm around him and said something to him and DC broke away from Fenton and looked at him with a 'eh what' expressison and that read massive to me. Although he was playing along with the team culture i still think DC thinks he's the player from 2013/2014 that everything he touched turned to gold. He even doubted himself on front of goal when before he would have slotted that shot low and hard and got the goal

I think had Dublin lost it would have been Gavins legacy that he brought him back and put him on.

After the Kev Mc sub they pushed him up as the lone player in FF

Connolly was extremely rusty but as you mentioned he was vital in the second half with his spacal awareness and purely his lingering threat. He missed two great chances to score but was just lacking that championship composure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Bridge93 wrote: »
    If Dublin had lost, Gavin's legacy would be winning the 4 in a row and 5 all irelands in six years. Not bringing Diarmuid Connolly back.

His legacy in relation to the 5 in a row would be bringing connolly back in for a half of football and he underperformed which is not a signature move of Gavin

• Advertisement

Unusually for Dublin, the return from the subs brought into attack was not great for the two games.

Connolly I'd say was on partly to provide a bit of unpredictability. He takes watching. Made great shoulder for the turnover that led to his pass for Kilkenny point. A couple of turnovers but worked hard.

Costello will be a bit disappointed with his performances as will Kevin Mc. Kerry had prepared well for them. Where subs did impact was that Kerry definitely tired when Dublin dominated possession in last 15 minutes, as they had done in drawn game.

May have been as much a mental thing as trying to chase a lead while faced with circling sharks looking for a weak spot must be exhausting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement