Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Stephen15 wrote: »
    New style as in DB stops removed and replaced with the new TFI style of bus stops or the DB logos simply replaced with the TFI Bus logo which can be seen on most stops along the 45a, 59, 63 and 75 routes.

These bus stops are extremely hard to see at night from a bus drivers perspective. Needless to say, people with no experience of driving a bus designed them.

I hope they brighten them up a bit. I missed a stop last week . Yellow was perfect . Now its complete darkness when mixed in with trees .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These bus stops are extremely hard to see at night from a bus drivers perspective. Needless to say, people with no experience of driving a bus designed them.

I hope they brighten them up a bit. I missed a stop last week . Yellow was perfect . Now its complete darkness when mixed in with trees .

Imagine what it was like when the stops were dark blue.

A reflective strip or 2 down low on the pole would really help at night.

Bus eireann stops have these strips up high on the pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Imagine what it was like when the stops were dark blue.

A reflective strip or 2 down low on the pole would really help at night.

Bus eireann stops have these strips up high on the pole.

Thats a great idea. One that should be suggested. I have over 12 routes as a spare driver with variations . Some you get every week other you get once every two months. Its hard to remember all the stops.

Seems strange they would make it more difficult to spot them. But thats the NTA for ya.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rx8 wrote: »
    Apparently, the NTA overlooked another very important item.... THE FAREBOX MONEY.
    GAI are not obliged to count or pass it on to the NTA, as it's not seemingly in their contract. Sitting in a corner in bags in Ballymount, awaiting collection. Whenever the NTA gets around to it.

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I still think it's mental that Go-Ahead only have one depot based in Ballymount and no outstations grand for the likes of the 17, 18, 75/a, 175 and the 76 but crazy for the likes of the 33a/b, 184 and 185 and other routes which serve only South and North Dublin Ballymount is not a great location.

Go-Ahead wanted to turn the old ferry terminal in DL into an outstation for 20 buses similar to the way DB have D/brook buses based out in Bray but were wrongly refused planning permission while the ferry terminal currently lies idle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ferry terminal is being converted to offices and a restaurant now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Is there any prospect of the GAI being integrated into google maps?

L1011 wrote: »

The tarmac could be used to park buses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No point in putting that in place, while looking for something else to do, when there's no garentee an alternative will be available before the planned work begins.

No point in putting that in place, while looking for something else to do, when there's no garentee an alternative will be available before the planned work begins.

Are they planning to build on the tarmac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

L1011 wrote: »

There was already a restaurant on the HSS terminal.It closed recently.

Trouble with parking any vehicles at the harbour, is the salt in the air, causing rust to develop more rapidly than in Ballymount.

However it is operationally inefficient to run buses on routes 59,63, 45A etc, from a base in Ballymount.

Somewhere like the Stillorgan, Leopardstown, Sandyford industrial estate would be suitable, but unfortunately more costly.

tabbey wrote: »
    Trouble with parking any vehicles at the harbour, is the salt in the air, causing rust to develop more rapidly than in Ballymount.

However it is operationally inefficient to run buses on routes 59,63, 45A etc, from a base in Ballymount.

Somewhere like the Stillorgan, Leopardstown, Sandyford industrial estate would be suitable, but unfortunately more costly.

Didn't think of that but I guess it's valid reasoning however would Clontarf buses not be effected by this considering the depot is near the sea and they park some buses overnight in the car park across the road. I hope they get their issues at the moment sorted out and their only teething issues if in the long run they aren't up to scratch I hope the NTA will be swift to act.

I can't figure out how they allocate buses either it appears they are allocating them at random at the moment and routes don't have any set allocations I don't think this is that efficient. Anytime I pass by DL DART station since the switchover where there was once a line of DB buses laying over the terminus there is now usually a DB bus from the 46a and one or two GAI buses compared to about 5 or 6 DB laying over the terminus and about 5 or 6 GAI drivers waiting for to take over buses which have not yet arrived.

When DB were operating those services there would always usually be a driver to every bus and buses would remain parked up while drivers were on a break but appears now GAI is keeping buses out on the road. I can understand from a commercial point of view why they are doing this but buses should be at they're terminus when they are needed. They just seem a little badly organised at the moment. DB also used to have an inspector in DL making sure things were running as smoothly as possible and buses and drivers were where they should be.

Plenty places in Bray....

Old Dell and few other places even better left laying years empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Plenty places in Bray....

Old Dell and few other places even better left laying years empty.

Yeah but the traffic to get in and out of Bray is massively congested already

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not out the top end. Sure when the buses would be going out to start there is no traffic and even with traffic is much closer and quicker then where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Not at the southern cross end of bray, although that roundabout coming in from greystones to bray does tend to get busy between 8am and 9am in the morning.

the former Dell site there on the boghall road would be a good placed to have a secondary depot for go ahead ireland.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Is there any prospect of the GAI being integrated into google maps?

I'd like to know this as well, I got a 75 last night but it was no thanks to Google maps, which thinks the route doesn't exist any more. It also doesn't think the other routes which switched to GAI exist any more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You can ask Google about that, as they're the ones that control the data. They're generally pretty quick, but far from instant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tabbey wrote: »
    There was already a restaurant on the HSS terminal.It closed recently.

Well, there's one going in as part of the redevelopment

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/commercial-property-for-rent/restaurant-hotel-bar-for-rent/st-michales-pier-dun-laoghaire-dublin-735193/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Seems Go Ahead have zero chance of parking busses at the harbour so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

soundman45 wrote: »
    Seems Go Ahead have zero chance of parking busses at the harbour so.

agreed.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Two of the large bus stop heads with the generic blue bus signs near the junction & traffic lights of Monkstown Avenue are still not updated with the 63A marked on them. They both have basic A4 paper timetables from The other bus stops on Monkstown Avenue & Monkstown Farm also all have the basic A4 paper timetables for the 63/63A on them from the NTA.

There were a lot of the newer/transferred GAI double deckers going through Monkstown Farm this morning. No ex DB GT's yet though. One of the newer buses was doing some driver training with other GAI staff beside the driver on the way to Dun Laoghaire.

Does anyone know if the new streetlites are meant to be on that route soon?

Two of the large bus stop heads with the generic blue bus signs near the junction & traffic lights of Monkstown Avenue are still not updated with the 63A marked on them. They both have basic A4 paper timetables from The other bus stops on Monkstown Avenue & Monkstown Farm also all have the basic A4 paper timetables for the 63/63A on them from the NTA.

There were a lot of the newer/transferred GAI double deckers going through Monkstown Farm this morning. No ex DB GT's yet though. One of the newer buses was doing some driver training with other GAI staff beside the driver on the way to Dun Laoghaire.

Does anyone know if the new streetlites are meant to be on that route soon?

I think the timetables may be updated once GAI start operating the 184, 185 and 111 they are using the old and temporary ones in the meantime as some stops are shared between the routes which have yet to transfer and ones which have already transferred. It's a guess and I hope it's right and those temporary looking timetables aren't here to stay.

The Streetlites are due to enter service on the 111, 184 and 185 at the weekend. I don't know if they'll be on the 63 maybe after more routes transfer over. The 63 seems to be quite busy lately perhaps even justifying the dd at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭belfast stephen

Does anyone know if and where you can get paper copies of the Timetables for the Go Ahead routes

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if and where you can get paper copies of the Timetables for the Go Ahead routes

I doubt there's a huge demand for them

That maybe the case but always good to be able to have a paper copy of the timetable

That maybe the case but always good to be able to have a paper copy of the timetable

Print them off yourself.

I would be very surprised if they have any as they have no premises where the public can go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Print them off yourself.

I would be very surprised if they have any as they have no premises where the public can go.

Printed A5 booklet style timetables have been door dropped to alot of the local areas on routes. I'm sure an email to the customer comment address will yield some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Printed A5 booklet style timetables have been door dropped to alot of the local areas on routes. I'm sure an email to the customer comment address will yield some

Can anyone confirm if TFI has carried out a similar leaflet drop for the timetable changes on Dublin Bus routes?

• Advertisement

Print them off yourself.

NTA head office on Harcourt Street is open to the public. They'd be the ones responsible for that kind of thing not Go-Ahead.

NTA head office on Harcourt Street is open to the public. They'd be the ones responsible for that kind of thing not Go-Ahead.

Well db have it all at their head office but saying that I would guess they no longer have time table for routes that are gone.

Well db have it all at their head office but saying that I would guess they no longer have time table for routes that are gone.

Go-Ahead operated buses are purely a matter for the NTA not Go-Ahead themselves. DB keep their own fare revenue GAI do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

rx8 wrote: »
    Apparently, the NTA overlooked another very important item.... THE FAREBOX MONEY.
    GAI are not obliged to count or pass it on to the NTA, as it's not seemingly in their contract. Sitting in a corner in bags in Ballymount, awaiting collection. Whenever the NTA gets around to it.

Also, the issue of DB looking after the lost property is an absolute joke. WTF are they smoking in O'Connell St. They say they can't afford to turn down the money they're being paid to collect it.

That’s a load of pony..I see G4S going into Ballymount every second day collecting fares

I just got an email today about the November issue of Buses Magazine. It includes a brand new article about Go-Ahead Ireland in Ballymount and plans for further expansion across Ireland.
    ON A MISSION
    In its second major bus venture beyond the UK, Go-Ahead Group has started operating the first of 30 franchised routes in the Dublin area and has ambitions of doing much more across Ireland.

7526.jpg

I just got an email today about the November issue of Buses Magazine. It includes a brand new article about Go-Ahead Ireland in Ballymount and plans for further expansion across Ireland.

7526.jpg

The Wright eclipse 3 single decker on the front page there is what the NTA probably should have gone for instead of the Streetlites.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I seen a streetlite in Bray the other day, about 930am turning left down Florence road, presume it was a practice run. Not sure of the livery though as I was focused on my own use of the road.

Print them off yourself.

I dropped Go Ahead an E-mail and they are going to post some timetables out to me

Another thing I have noticed on GAI buses is signs mentioning a €100 penalty fare for passengers who do not pay either the fare or the correct fare. How is this possible though as GAI or the NTA have yet to hire any revenue protection officers?

Another thing I have noticed on GAI buses is signs mentioning a €100 penalty fare for passengers who do not pay either the fare or the correct fare. How is this possible though as GAI or the NTA have yet to hire any revenue protection officers?

That penalty fare is applied for invalid tickets on Dublin Bus. Was there any GAI branding displayed on these signs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

I've noticed many GAI vehicles don't have any GAI branding on the exterior and none seem to have any legal details (company name and address etc) or capacity and weight limits, aren't they legal requirements?

Presumably the NTA as owner, considers itself above the law.
    Not surprising considering that the minister himself makes representations to NTA, as though he was a mere citizen.

john boye wrote: »
    I've noticed many GAI vehicles don't have any GAI branding on the exterior and none seem to have any legal details (company name and address etc) or capacity and weight limits, aren't they legal requirements?

There is it’s on the left hand side right behind the front door and the Go-Ahead is on that side aswel

GAI are in the process of hiring revenue officers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

ax586 wrote: »
    There is it’s on the left hand side right behind the front door and the Go-Ahead is on that side aswel

Ah OK, I was looking in the wrong place!

ax586 wrote: »
    GAI are in the process of hiring revenue officers

Not advertised on their website. I hope they do as I'd consider applying myself although Ballymount is a bit out of the way for me as I'm looking for a start in the transport industry.

Not advertised on their website. I hope they do as I'd consider applying myself although Ballymount is a bit out of the way for me as I'm looking for a start in the transport industry.

One of the managers said they are..some drivers are interested in it and said it be advertised soon

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SG317

For those that were giving Dublin Bus an extremely hard time, for not posting the transfer of routes 45A, 59, 63 and 75, until the second day of the routes being operated by Go Ahead. Dublin Bus has announced in advance that routes 111, 184 and 185 will be operated by Go Ahead from tomorrow, they have even posted a picture of Go Ahead's logo. Interestingly enough though those same people that constantly blame Dublin Bus for just about everything eventhough it's not Dublin Bus's fault, I don't find them here now praising Dublin Bus for this move. Especially considering they have even mentioned there will be timetable changes. Maybe it just doesn't suit some people's anti-Dublin Bus agenda. Sorry for the rant, it is just frustrating how Dublin Bus is given such a hard time by some people and held to some ridiculously high standards compared to other operators and transport organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

SG317 wrote: »
    For those that were giving Dublin Bus an extremely hard time, for not posting the transfer of routes 45A, 59, 63 and 75, until the second day of the routes being operated by Go Ahead. Dublin Bus has announced in advance that routes 111, 184 and 185 will be operated by Go Ahead from tomorrow, they have even posted a picture of Go Ahead's logo. Interestingly enough though those same people that constantly blame Dublin Bus for just about everything eventhough it's not Dublin Bus's fault, I don't find them here now praising Dublin Bus for this move. Especially considering they have even mentioned there will be timetable changes. Maybe it just doesn't suit some people's anti-Dublin Bus agenda. Sorry for the rant, it is just frustrating how Dublin Bus is given such a hard time by some people and held to some ridiculously high standards compared to other operators and transport organisations.

I don't really remember this complaint in this thread, tbh.

• Advertisement

SG317 wrote: »

DB/NTA/GAI have learned their lesson they hardly deserve praise for doing what they are supposed to be doing. Should we praise DB, GAI or the NTA for doing their job no.

I can't speak for other posters here but I don't have an anti DB agenda or a pro GAI or pro NTA agenda but a rather an agenda that favours an efficient integrated public transport system I think most would agree. I will give DB, GAI, IE, Transdev, BE or the NTA credit when credit is due and will crictise them when criticism is due.

Advertisement