Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

devnull wrote: »
    Only differences I know about aside from livery are
    -Black light clusters and Wright logo on front
    -New style signs and notices
    - Different colour handrails
    - Different pattern seat fabric.

There may be more!

They have no Wrights logo on the front, they are the same as the DB SGs with a Volvo logo on them above the Wrights style grille (some are missing rhe Volvo logo).

Black clusters makes them look smarter IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think the new SGs have a Wrights logo and black headlamp clusters. None in the DB fleet yet. I may be wrong.

They definitely look better with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

GM228 wrote: »
    They have no Wrights logo on the front, they are the same as the DB SGs with a Volvo logo on them above the Wrights style grille (some are missing rhe Volvo logo).

Black clusters makes them look smarter IMO.

so these busses are a volvo model, and Wrights build them under licence along with other models of bus?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

so these busses are a volvo model, and Wrights build them under licence along with other models of bus?

No, Volvo provide chassis and engine, Wrightbus provide bodywork (Eclipse Gemini) and fit out, pretty standard for bus and coach building. For example the non Wrightbus DB fleet are Volvo chassis and engines with Alexander Dennis body work (ALX400, Enviro400 and Enviro500 for the current fleets).

Wrighbus provide their own chassis for the StreetLite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

devnull wrote: »
    Only differences I know about aside from livery are
    -Black light clusters and Wright logo on front
    -New style signs and notices
    - Different colour handrails
    - Different pattern seat fabric.

There may be more!

Are they new NTA standards or what GA wanted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I took a jaunt on the 56a on Friday and passed the Go-Ahead depot: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/607783781#map=15/53.3159/-6.3531

Of what I could see, there was one single-decker in GA colours, about 4 double-deckers in DB colours and about a dozen double-deckers in TFI colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Victor wrote: »
    I took a jaunt on the 56a on Friday and passed the Go-Ahead depot: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/607783781#map=15/53.3159/-6.3531

Of what I could see, there was one single-decker in GA colours, about 4 double-deckers in DB colours and about a dozen double-deckers in TFI colours.

They are arriving into the likes of donnybrook and take buses out that have been prepared for painting, fleet numbers gone also.

Ga fleet seem to be 5 digit long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I emailed regarding the 175 route a while back. They stated that it will begin at the current 77a, 65 trminus, turn left down Fortunestown Way, continue straight down towards Tallaght Leisure Centre, down the bypass, around the Square, continue through Tallaght Village to Old Bawn Road, then straight straight straight along Killinney Road, Taylor's Lane, Grange Road, through Dundrum Village, up Taney Road, by the Goat, then into UCD. It's essentially the 75 with the twists and turns that make the 75 unbearable. However I think they were considering going via the N82 and N81 instead Fortunestown Way, which would be a massive mistake imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Qrt wrote: »
    I emailed regarding the 175 route a while back. They stated that it will begin at the current 77a, 65 trminus, turn left down Fortunestown Way, continue straight down towards Tallaght Leisure Centre, down the bypass, around the Square, continue through Tallaght Village to Old Bawn Road, then straight straight straight along Killinney Road, Taylor's Lane, Grange Road, through Dundrum Village, up Taney Road, by the Goat, then into UCD. It's essentially the 75 with the twists and turns that make the 75 unbearable. However I think they were considering going via the N82 and N81 instead Fortunestown Way, which would be a massive mistake imo.

Any idea about how frequently it will run?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I did see a glimpse of one of the new GAI SG's going past Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre at 11am this morning. It was probably doing some route training today as it was going down in the direction of the People's Park. A few staff members were sitting down in the bottom deck. The new livery looks real nice on it. I was in Golden Discs when I saw the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

I was in Golden Discs

:eek: Is Golden Discs still a thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

soundman45 wrote: »
    Any idea about how frequently it will run?

Every thirty mins afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Creative83 wrote: »
    :eek: Is Golden Discs still a thing??

Yup and they're profitable!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Saw one of these busses today in Mulhuddart doing driver training.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Saw 1 in Dundrum on the 17 route today, about 5 high vis jackets on board

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

What will they do with drivers they are currently training as most of the routes don't come into force until later in the year. Are they trained and then laid off until September and October?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

soundman45 wrote: »
    What will they do with drivers they are currently training as most of the routes don't come into force until later in the year. Are they trained and then laid off until September and October?

Don't you worry about them......there's plenty for them to be gettin on with in the meantime......;)

https://www.worldmeeting2018.ie/en/Pope-Francis/Papal-Itinerary

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Saw a GAI bus in the TFI livery for the first time today in the flesh in Dun Laogahire and in Cornelscourt. Looks quite well the blue is a good bit darker than it looks in most of the pictures more of a royal blue bordering on navy almost. The buses still stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I thought the opposite about them standing out. I saw one in the new livery with L plates displayed on Katherine Tynan Road in Tallaght on Friday. I liked the livery in photos but thought it was way too dark irl and for the first time could understand where those worried about visibility are coming from.

I thought the opposite about them standing out. I saw one in the new livery with L plates displayed on Katherine Tynan Road in Tallaght on Friday. I liked the livery in photos but thought it was way too dark irl and for the first time could understand where those worried about visibility are coming from.

That's probably the livery seen on the left which is only for training buses and won't be used on buses in passenger service both liveries can be seen here. The one one on the right will be used in passenger service and the one on the left is just for training buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

Stephen15 wrote: »
    That's probably the livery seen on the left which is only for training buses and won't be used on buses in passenger service both liveries can be seen here. The one one on the right will be used in passenger service and the one on the left is just for training buses.

I actually think the one on the left is a very nice scheme, is that a livery they use somewhere else?

Stephen15 wrote:

Thanks. I had thought maybe it was a difference between the single and double deckers, never considered they'd have a different one for training.

Thanks. I had thought maybe it was a difference between the single and double deckers, never considered they'd have a different one for training.

Yeah the blue one is an NTA/TFI livery and the purple is a GAI livery for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wouldn't know what to say from Go Ahead's perspective if they have to change their bus routes they had initially agreed to run going from their contract in the first place. Their contract with the NTA lasts for five years. BusConnects is being implemented only a year later while they are in existence while they run the original contracted routes from Dublin Bus. I'm for one am not sure about how these proposed routes for BusConnects are factored in with Go-Ahead.
    Contract is likely for a specific number of hours / km / peak vehicle requirement, not specific routes.
    I doubt any more than 10% of the routes would be allocated to Go-Ahead considering that's what the initial deal was.
    It's not 10% of routes (some routes have only a handful of departures per day), it's 10% of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Victor wrote: »
    Contract is likely for a specific number of hours / km / peak vehicle requirement, not specific routes.

It's not 10% of routes (some routes have only a handful of departures per day), it's 10% of the business.

It's about time the NTA put the GAI contract into the Public Domain.

This will remove any speculation as to what is likely and what is not.

If the Authority refuses to put it in the Public Domain,then the very least required is a Full explanation of why the secrecy is required......Commercial Sensivity does not,in my opinion,constitute a reason for the continued refusal.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

They seem to be constructing two bus stops on Mount Anville Road, one in each direction. I think this is the first bus service to ever use that road.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It's about time the NTA put the GAI contract into the Public Domain.

This will remove any speculation as to what is likely and what is not.

If the Authority refuses to put it in the Public Domain,then the very least required is a Full explanation of why the secrecy is required......Commercial Sensivity does not,in my opinion,constitute a reason for the continued refusal.

Have you tried submitting a FOI request directly to them. Its free.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/foi/

They are one of the most transparent groups within the govt

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/foi/foi-disclosure-log/

Will there be any timetable changes when Go Aheas take over? Or will they operate them exactly as they are now? I understand it's not up to GA to make changes like this - I'm just wondering if any improvements in timetables have been agreed. The 239 for example - will it continue to be Mon-Sat only with a massive gap with no service in the middle of the day?

Will there be any timetable changes when Go Aheas take over? Or will they operate them exactly as they are now? I understand it's not up to GA to make changes like this - I'm just wondering if any improvements in timetables have been agreed. The 239 for example - will it continue to be Mon-Fri only with a massive gap with no service in the middle of the day?

There will be an increase in service but that will be for both DB and GAI services. As all the DB buses which are moving to Go-ahead are being replaced by new buses for DB.

It will depend on what services warrant an increase due to demand or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Will there be any timetable changes when Go Aheas take over? Or will they operate them exactly as they are now? I understand it's not up to GA to make changes like this - I'm just wondering if any improvements in timetables have been agreed. The 239 for example - will it continue to be Mon-Fri only with a massive gap with no service in the middle of the day?

Overall Go-Ahead will operate approx 35% more services than Dublin Bus on the same routes.

It hasn't been disclosed what route gets what increase at this stage.

Advertisement