Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

marno21 wrote: »
    If the NTA plan to release a TFI branded app or similar soon I would imagine they would have asked DB to remove it from the app store.

The thing they already have two, the Journey Planner and Realtime Ireland. Also the BE app looks to be gone also but the IE app is still there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The thing they already have two, the Journey Planner and Realtime Ireland. Also the BE app looks to be gone also but the IE app is still there.
    I meant a TFI branded specific app for Dublin to take the role of the now defunct Dublin Bus app and including buses tendered to private operators (Go Ahead + perhaps the likes of the 139 contracted to JJK)

marno21 wrote: »
    I meant a TFI branded specific app for Dublin to take the role of the now defunct Dublin Bus app and including buses tendered to private operators (Go Ahead + perhaps the likes of the 139 contracted to JJK)

To be fair both apps do serve that function all that's missing is the timetables.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

From what I've heard it's not been removed my intention.

Could be complete hearsay though.

devnull wrote: »

Why don't you search the play store and see for yourself?

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Why don't you search the play store?

I already have - it's not there but from what I have heard the removal is not intentional.

I already have - it's not there but from what I have heard the removal is not intentional.

I can't see how and why it would have been removed accidentally. The app still appears to work normally which would suggest that it's not down for maintence or an update. Seems strange.

Video tour and quotes of the new depot here

https://twitter.com/GoAheadIreland/status/1016336053404426240

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The 6.1 news is going to show a report about the new GAI depot after it's ad break.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the DB app still seems to be on the Apple App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/dublin-bus/id450455266?mt=8

Though it is a very poor effort. Only 2 stars out of 5 and hasn't been updated in over 2 years! At one point it went 2 years with GPS not working. A very poor effort overall.

I'd recommend Google Maps or Moovit instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have to say the new colour scheme looks well in that video, I look forward to seeing it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I loved some of the archive footage of the bus liveries from the RTÉ News report.

GT83 from Dublin Bus been painted in the Blue livery as I saw it on Flickr today. When the Go Ahead buses go out of service; they will display "Not in Service, As Serbhis" on their LED panels instead of displaying it Dublin Bus's current format. The GT's will also display a new five digit number painted in white that is located near the front window, the front passenger doors near the TFI logo on the back of the bus.

Courtesy of Michael Kelly; his Flickr account shows his new pictures of GT 83 here near Dublin Airport.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38016434@N05/42166748245/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38016434@N05/28202586647/in/photostream/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Someone pointed this out to DB on their Twitter page recently. One of the replies was that if an app has not been updated within a certain timeframe, then it's automatically removed from the Play Store.

Someone pointed this out to DB on their Twitter page recently. One of the replies was that if an app has not been updated within a certain timeframe, then it's automatically removed from the Play Store.

I was thinking it was something like that. A similar clear out will happen soon on the Apple App Store when Apple gets rid of non 64 bit apps (I don't know if the DB app would be effected or not).

At least the NTA apps are updated frequently, not that they are great. But no point in having an app unless you update it frequently.

Worth noting the bus in the video unfortunately has the old TGX150 ticket machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Worth noting the bus in the video unfortunately has the old TGX150 ticket machine.

They won't be changed for another while yet.

3 seconds to read a card is shocking to be honest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where do they find new TGX150s? Product is long retired by parkeon officially, and the underlying chipsets aren't made either

L1011 wrote: »
    Where do they find new TGX150s? Product is long retired by parkeon officially, and the underlying chipsets aren't made either

Not sure if the bus in the video was an ex Dublin Bus one though or one that is new to Go-Ahead.

Parkeon retired it themselves but Transmach are still supplying it.

L1011 wrote: »

They would be left fitted on the bus, db has quite a few of them even as spares.

All buses seen are ex db. They may also have a few new ones but not 100% on if they have them yet.

Obviously the Merc single decks are brought in from the UK for training.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The replacement vehicles for DB will need them too. Buying refurb isn't an endless supply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Very uneasy week as a DB employee. Cant help but feel our positions and jobs are being threatened .

Especially with rival company coming to many of our garages to drive busses away.

Many colleagues probably feel the same. Unions fighting and bickering with each other does not help.

I really hope the NTA stay true to their word and give us more work rather than less.

Very uneasy week as a DB employee. Cant help but feel our positions and jobs are being threatened .

Especially with rival company coming to many of our garages to drive busses away.

Many colleagues probably feel the same. Unions fighting and bickering with each other does not help.

I really hope the NTA stay true to their word and give us more work rather than less.

Those buses are being replaced by newer buses. They are being taken so their is a balance between new and old buses across both GA and DB. The alternative would be for DB just to have old buses and GA to get all new buses, which would result in DB looking worse.

It might feel uneasy, but it is better then the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Will the DB rambler products work on GA? My parents use them to bus hop their way to the 185 before walking in the hills, just wondering if they should stop buying 30 day tickets..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is all a welcome move.
    Along with the Bus Connects investment, Dublin Public Transport should improve immeasurably.
    Unions et al, should drop that chip on that monied shoulder.

stop wrote: »
    Will the DB rambler products work on GA? My parents use them to bus hop their way to the 185 before walking in the hills, just wondering if they should stop buying 30 day tickets..

They will be changing fares and how discount comes across but any tickets that works on one will on the other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

stop wrote: »

There should be no difference to the customer between the two operators in terms of service. Tickets and fares are set by the NTA and collected by the NTA. You won't even have to know who's operating your bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

They would be left fitted on the bus, db has quite a few of them even as spares.

All buses seen are ex db. They may also have a few new ones but not 100% on if they have them yet.

Obviously the Merc single decks are brought in from the UK for training.

All BAC ticketing equipment is removed prior to collection by GAI.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Go Ahead Ireland Spec 182D465 seen with old TGX150 ticket machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Will there be anything noticeably different internally on the new spec buses?

• Advertisement

Only differences I know about aside from livery are
    -Black light clusters and Wright logo on front
    -New style signs and notices
    - Different colour handrails
    - Different pattern seat fabric.

There may be more!

Advertisement