Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctor Who Season 10 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Then don't bring up the fact that he killed a hape of people in the script at all. It didn't come across that she understood, it came across more like she'll accept anything he tells her. She basically accepted "sh*t happens" as an excuse, which I personally thought was a bit rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Then don't bring up the fact that he killed a hape of people in the script at all. It didn't come across that she understood, it came across more like she'll accept anything he tells her. She basically accepted "sh*t happens" as an excuse, which I personally thought was a bit rubbish.

I'd say its linked in with her seemingly fanatical devotion to him. She loves his classes and all that and possibly thinks that if she goes against the grain too much it'll all stop and she'll go back to normal. I'd say at some point we'll have the tall about seeing dead loved ones and the like.
    Either way it was a very quick change from pure unadulterated hate and outrage at the person he is then straight to "meh" about the whole thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

he killed a hape of people

Regardless of people's position on this, I must thank this discussion for forever adding "he killed a hape of people in the time war" to my mental bullet points on the Doctor.

Regardless of people's position on this, I must thank this discussion for forever adding "he killed a hape of people in the time war" to my mental bullet points on the Doctor.

Just wait til we have an Irish regeneration of the Doctor. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Well balls, i always remembered it as 3. I thought i was so clever. :(:D

Jaysus....2 hearts....three balls....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

exaisle wrote: »
    Jaysus....2 hearts....three balls....

Thats it! How did i forget that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well done. Now the tabloids will be claiming a Gleeson to be the next doctor at the weekend! :p

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well done. Now the tabloids will be claiming a Gleeson to be the next doctor at the weekend! :p

I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I wish.

Imagine Capaldi regenerating into Brendan Gleeson! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭corkie

Knock, Knock!

Truly enjoyed that story telling episode!

What is the name of the Tune played on the piano at the end? I recognized it but can't remember its name!

What was the music played on the piano inside the vault in Doctor Who's Knock Knock?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Another good episode. Next week looks tasty.

Damn, this is a good season. Stay Capaldi!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I was so into Cap taking on the role, but the reality didn't gel for me. But these recent outings have. Typical, just as he's really growing into it, he's about to go.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I was so into Cap taking on the role, but the reality didn't gel for me. But these recent outings have. Typical, just as he's really growing into it, he's about to go.

It was the forced plot lines with Clara that hampered him, I think.

It can't be coincidence that Bill comes in, and bounces very well off of him, and we get real Capaldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

corkie wrote: »
    Knock, Knock!

Truly enjoyed that story telling episode!

What is the name of the Tune played on the piano at the end? I recognized it but can't remember its name!

What was the music played on the piano inside the vault in Doctor Who's Knock Knock?

More interested in the second one. I had a toy as a kid that played Pop Goes The Weasal. It was called a Jack in the Box ......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Orion wrote: »
    More interested in the second one. I had a toy as a kid that played Pop Goes The Weasal. It was called a Jack in the Box ......

I'm now gonna be extremely disappointed if Jack Harkness isn't the one in that box (why he'd be in there, I have no idea, but I want it to be him - he had a reduced role in Arrow-verse this season, so Barrowman probably could've filmed a couple of episode of Who).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very enjoyable episode, with a fairly sad revelation at the end of the main story (props to David Suchet for selling that last act so well). As ever, Dr Who exceled at taking some common element of our world at twisting it a little. The half "eaten" student was quite grisly too, possibly a bit too much for younger audiences.

As for the mysterious resident, well it's certainly humanoid anyway, and partial to a little piano playing it seems. I'm still not sure who it could be and disinclined to think it
    The Master, purely for being too obvious. Really nothing concrete yet to go on though, beyond being relatively friendly with the doc, and enjoying Mexican food I guess

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »

As for the mysterious resident, well it's certainly humanoid anyway, and partial to a little piano playing it seems. I'm still not sure who it could be and disinclined to think it
    The Master, purely for being too obvious. Really nothing concrete yet to go on though, beyond being relatively friendly with the doc, and enjoying Mexican food I guess

Maybe over thinking it but I think the images of River and Susan were supposed to have us wondering if it's one of them...

Lot of grand father references in this one too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe over thinking it but I think the images of River and Susan were supposed to have us wondering if it's one of them...

Lot of grand father references in this one too!

It does feel like there has been a lot of heavy winking in the first few episodes, true; though, for any fans who remember and/or know of the original series' mythos really...

I liked that one a lot. My youngfella was not able for it though. :pac:
    I think Moff is fecking with us with the hinting about Bill being a grand-daughter. While I personally would be delighted with the idea, I don't think it's going to pan out. He'll probably say it's all metaphorical about the show going back to its roots or other guff.

If, say, she is his grand-kid, is her mum his daughter, or is there an unseen son?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Interesting that you say that Das Kitty...

I remember thinking that it was curious that the Doctor was able to get so many pictures of Bill's Mam without her having an issue with a stranger taking all those photos. In one of the pictures you can see the reflection of the Doctor (thereby telling Bill where the pictures came from) so it's not like he was hiding behind bushes to photograph her etc. At the time I just thought it was a nice touch, showing how kind the Doctor can be to go back and take pictures like that, but now I wonder if there's more to it, it is Moffat after all. And didn't Bill keep on asking 'why me, plenty of other people go to your classes?' in the first episode?

If there is an underlying story there, while I'd be interested in how they play it out (and I'd have confidence that Peter and Pearl will do a good job of it), I'll also be disappointed that it means that Bill is yet another 'special' companion; there seems to be too much temptation there for Moffat to ignore!

I dunno, I think the photos of Bill's Mom is just what it was on the surface: a quiet token of kindness from the Doctor towards someone he took a shine too with an obviously an inquiring, intelligent mind. It was a bit weird Bill herself never brought it up to his face, but methinks that was a scene lost due to pacing or running-time.

The tech of the vault makes me wonder if it's another form of the pandorica; a 'prison' to remove someone from the timeline while keeping them alive. Clearly a more benign form it with space for a piano et al...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

The fact that I didn't seem interested in The Doctor's story till he mentioned people dying and I quite literally changed my tune upon hearing that makes me think it's me in the vault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm now gonna be extremely disappointed if Jack Harkness isn't the one in that box (why he'd be in there, I have no idea, but I want it to be him - he had a reduced role in Arrow-verse this season, so Barrowman probably could've filmed a couple of episode of Who).
    he did a facebook video last year saying he'd be back in Cardiff in December which was when they were filming Dr. Who.

The Master wrote: »
    The fact that I didn't seem interested in The Doctor's story till he mentioned people dying and I quite literally changed my tune upon hearing that makes me think it's me in the vault.

I won't deny, I had no idea what you were on about 'til I saw your username :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The Master wrote: »
    Could be Captain Jack tying in with the return of Torchwood S5?

T-Bird wrote: »
    Could be Captain Jack tying in with the return of Torchwood S5?
    Captain Jack happy at the thought of kids getting hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

All us Irish are thinking of that 3 ad where they're trying to sell air right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Great episode that. Classic Doctor Who.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5 really solid episodes in a row this is turning into the best season in a long while.

Advertisement