Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

doozerie wrote: »
    Now there is a can of worms. That was clearly an early e-bike but the question that demands an answer is whether it was pedal-assist, or strictly illegal under Irish laws?

And that's before we even consider whether the kid cyclist stuck to cycling-designated air space, or recklessly used all of the airspace as if he was somehow entitled to. (Did he even PAY HIS AIR TAX???)

I foresee angry letters from the RSA, and like-minded people who all have only the best interests of the little bastard brat child at heart.

And, if I recall correctly, he was (recklessly) wearing neither a helmet nor a high viz vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    And, if I recall correctly, he was (recklessly) wearing neither a helmet nor a high viz vest.
    Both weigh you down, making upward trajectory difficult. I could have removed mine and tossed them forward, thus enabling me to fly over (or at least bunny hop) the car and retrieve them mid air. But then she would have suddenly been unable to see me, and if her Ford Transit happened to collide directly with my head as I landed I wouldn't have had my protective armour on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Breezer wrote: »
    Both weigh you down, making upward trajectory difficult. I could have removed mine and tossed them forward, thus enabling me to fly over (or at least bunny hop) the car and retrieve them mid air. But then she would have suddenly been unable to see me, and if her Ford Transit happened to collide directly with my head as I landed I wouldn't have had my protective armour on.

But what if a dragon appeared? You would be defenceless without a mantle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm still not entirely sure though whether she wanted me to cycle through the car, or to swerve around it in front of her at the last second.

If you'd been able to channel your inner Danny MacAskill and bunny hop it the look on her face would have been priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Whilst out on a club spin last night, 3 of us, 2 abreast and one behind, we were beeped at for a good stretch by one motorist in Saggart, how hard is it to fathom 2 abreast is totally legal.
    Then on my cool down loop around Tallaght village, on my ownio, mosying along, this guy starts shouting out passenger window screaming at me to get off the road and on to the cycle lane, the one full of broken glass, i shouted back that it wasn't compulsory to ride in cycle lane but he was so incensed with me being on the road my enlightening him most likely didn't register. :(
    Im convinced learner drivers should be made cycle as part of their driving ability test.
    80% of cyclists drive and only 20% of motorists cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm also convinced that a lot of new drivers lack the confidence to overtake properly. They seem to think that they should never cross the centre line under any circumstances.
    Anyone who can't overtake two cyclists cycling two abreast needs to re-examine their own driving ability!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I keep a frame and wheels in a shared bike shed at my apartment complex. No componennts one them, and semi secured with tyres and stuff to make it a hassle for anyone to try and take.

Anyway, some neighbour decided it would be okay to take my front wheel and put it on their bike. It's a disc wheel too and they've put it onto a rim brake bike.

Either that, or someone tried to nick it, and someone caught them and didn't know what it belonged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'm also convinced that a lot of new drivers lack the confidence to overtake properly. They seem to think that they should never cross the centre line under any circumstances.
    Anyone who can't overtake two cyclists cycling two abreast needs to re-examine their own driving ability!
    I had one like this this evening on New St outbound (before it runs into Clanbrassil St), where there's a narrow cycle lane and two general traffic lanes. A learner in a driving school car seemed to hesitate and then overtook me relatively slowly (I'd say I was doing about 20 km/h and her about 30) with inches to spare. I didn't do or say anything, partly because she was going slowly and wasn't going to hurt me unless she suddenly swung left, and partly because I reckoned if I startled her it might cause her to panic and do something worse. I think her instructor may have slowed her down with the dual controls beforehand.

I really hate on road painted cycle lanes that are too narrow. I'd rather they weren't there at all. People seem to feel it's fine to overtake at any miniscule distance as long as they're in "their" lane and you're in "yours".

Edit: sorry I thought this was the near miss thread. I should have told that story using more evocative language!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Just a week ago I bought a brand new rear tyre because the previous one was full of nicks and holes. I only got about 1500 - 2000km out of the tyre and punctured 8 times.

Today was the third ride on the new tyre and after approximately 100km I punctured on a tiny piece of glass. The best part is that it went right through the tyre so it might be that I have to just bin it. That's an average of 1 flat per week since the end of April. A few have been pinch flats because of terrible cycle-path surfaces but most have just been small stones/glass.

I've been flatting so often I bought an extra floor pump to keep in my girlfriend's car. All-in-all, between the pump, new tyre, inner tubes and patch kit I've probably spent 100euro because of how frequently I've been puncturing. I weigh 78kg and wherever possible, when I see an uneven surface, I get out of the saddle to get as much weight as possible off the rear tyre. I weave around patches in the cycle-path surface. I run the rear tyre at 90psi. I pray to God. Nothing works.

At this point I'm ready not just to give up on cycling but also life itself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sounds like either tubeless, solid tyres or maybe just Marathon plus tyres are in order. Which tyres have you been using to date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

smacl wrote: »
    Sounds like either tubeless, solid tyres or maybe just Marathon plus tyres are in order. Which tyres have you been using to date?

Continental GP 4000. Maybe I should give the gatorskin a go but it's pricey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Continental GP 4000. Maybe I should give the gatorskin a go but it's pricey

For reasonably bombproof road tyres that are still feel decent I find Durano Plus to be excellent. Haven't used gatorskins but others here have commented they're not the best in the wet.

RLJing in motor vehicles to my mind seems worse, and more dangerous lately.
    1. I was a passenger this morn in a car. At a T Junction, we got a green to go left. A bus from the right breaks the red. Same bus then delays us and proceeds to block a yellow box further on preventing us from going straight, and preventing other traffic from leaving the opposite junction. It may save the driver of a vehicle a couple of seconds to break a red, but the knock on effect is everyone gets delayed then.
    2. I walk the last 4 km to work. Bottom of Whitworth Road I am waiting to cross. Light goes red for cars, green for pedestrians. The driver of a black VW decides this is the time to gun it and then stopped short of the yellow box. It was utterly moronic.
    3. Santry avenue the lights have been no more than optional for anyone the last week it seems too.
    4. The junction in Ballymun beside the Axis too. Every sequence at least 2 vehicles decide to plough on after the red.

I've also had some impatient beepers lately. Some back road in Meath last week, between Skreen and Ardcath. Wide enough to pass me safely as 3 or 4 cars did. A driver arrives behind me and rather than trusting their competence, they just beep me for me to move. Same again beside the Airport on monday night with ample room.

155 km, with hundreds of cars that saw no issue, yet these 2 were angry at the very sight of me using the space in front of them,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    RLJing in motor vehicles to my mind seems worse, and more dangerous lately.

Pretty much the reason why ANPR cameras need to be put at all light controlled junctions. It's not only regular but expected occurance at most junctions. I now no longer need to look around to estimate when lights will go green, I know it because cars will accelerate for amber on theirs, so I know my lights are about to go green based on the increase in speed and noise from crossing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Experienced a particularly woeful piece of "driving" on the way to work yesterday morning. Was on the road exiting this roundabout yesterday morning.

Usually commutes at this time of year are bliss as all the stressed school runners are now on holiday. Nope. Mrs 4xFaux (quashqai, Sportage et al) was obviously in a hurry and Could Not Be Held Up. She did admittedly give way to me on the actual roundabout, but there was an old dear crossing the road just beyond the island on the exit, so I stopped to let her finish crossing as you know, the law says you have to because she has right of way. I'd taken primary almost, but not quite halfway across the lane, not that this deterred She Who Is In A Hurry one bit. She squeezed between me and the pedestrian island first of all, then realised that the woman was crossing ao I think "alright she's going to give way". Nope. After the briefest of pauses she gunned it between the two of us. I apologised to her, not sure why, maybe for not blocking mrs knobhead properly

Thanks to the taxi man who unselfishly pointed out the awful cycle lane on the drumcondra road (the one that's full of peds and forces you to yield 3 times in a few hundred metres) while shouting at me about it. He'd beeped at the cyclist behind me, and shouted at the one further up the road. He then offered the advice that it was safer for us, ignoring the fact he had in fact safely over taken 3 despite the fact he was not looking at the road ahead.

I ended up ahead of him again, and but for I was taking a rare detour I'd have nearly sat in front of him to show him how safe it was

If he deems it unsafe, I wonder how he feels fit to drive around 8 hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

One of my least favourite charges levelled at the cyclist mob is that of 'entitlement'. As if we all go around making outrageous demands and expecting them to be fulfilled. Surely by now, everyone who has turned a pedal in Ireland has realised we're low down the pecking order, and any requests have to be accompanied by begging, pleading, protests, letters to politicians, and still we're resigned to the ongoing 8 year wait for the Liffey Cycle Route.

The low level aggression I encountered this morning on the quays was extremely minor in the grand scheme of things, but just so totally *unnecessary* as to really get under my skin.

I could explain in great detail the whys and wherefores of why this driver is an entitled prick, but sure just watch it yourself - it's on the north quays heading for the turn for Blackhall Place: https://goo.gl/maps/pBp4R2RD3vcbi7aG7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

TT bike down the north quays a rare spot!

That triathlete probably bothered them in fairness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That triathlete probably bothered them in fairness

That's not a triathlete, that's a track rider ;)
    In pursuit gear to be precise.
    So not a tt bike, but a track bike in pursuit mode :cool:

• Advertisement

Saw a complete and utter halfwit on a moped this morning driving in the off road, on path cycle path in Blanchardstown/Clonsilla this morning/ I sense this might be a regular occuerence so, I expect to get them on camera sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What a pillock. I've yet to see that but will be keeping the eyes peeled now that you've mentioned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Saw a complete and utter halfwit on a moped this morning driving in the off road, on path cycle path in Blanchardstown/Clonsilla this morning/ I sense this might be a regular occuerence so, I expect to get them on camera sometime.

I think I may have spotted this loolah going down the cycle path this evening on the Blanchardstown Road. On a moped, on the cycle path, on the wrong side of the road! Not great. (thought it looked like a motorbike at first glance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Any chance it's one of those pedelec ones which look like a regular moped?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've come across one, they're called Koumo bikes or something like that, where it's basically a moped with pedals.
    I've seen a guy in that area on it, the last time I saw him he had a woman on the back, I got caught behind them for ages in traffic.
    He can go up hills and everything without pedalling.

I've seen one of those Koumo bikes too in the wild only once last week in Drumcondra. They were on sale at the Christmas Flea market last year. This one looked very much like a normal moped though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Busted my derailleur yesterday while cycling around town with my wife (chain was slightly too short). I lowered the saddle which turned it into a giant balance bike, which helped.

High point: discovering how easily my wife can tow me around town when I hold onto her rack (on her bike).

Low point: being beeped at by a Dublin Bus driver in Drumcondra (https://goo.gl/maps/b5qEpWWiqyA4s6Se7) at a point where
    a) there's not enough room to pass one cyclist anyway
    b) he was about 100 metres away from a stop where he was pulling in
    c) stop being a prick

I turned and showed him that I couldn't cycle my bike by coming to a stop and then pushing along with my feet. Part of me regrets not pulling in to the side of the road and waving him around me so he could show that it was me holding him up, and not the line of traffic and the narrow bus/bike lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Spotted some lunatic female cyclist no helmet on the M50 heading northbound over the bridge from Lucan to Blanch last week! Speechless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Spotted some lunatic female cyclist no helmet on the M50 heading northbound over the bridge from Lucan to Blanch last week! Speechless

not sure a helmet would have made it any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

loyatemu wrote: »
    not sure a helmet would have made it any better.

Maybe a tinfoil helmet!

Coming onto the Naas road today rush hour traffic had another space cadet on a DIY engine driven MTB try cross my path!:eek:

Advertisement