Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options
1616263646567»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

I'm not saying that all Golf drivers are aggressive halfwits, but here's a Venn diagram:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭buffalo

The general extent of my cycling at present is to and from crèche, a round trip of less than 1.5km. Even in that small stretch, I manage to encounter impatient and dangerous drivers. It's particularly disheartening when they're the same people I see at the drop-off/pick-up and they must recognise my distinctive bike. Or when it's a neighbour with a 'baby on board' sign hanging in the back of the car.

I have a back camera, debating a front one.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

The only recourse is a bike trailer with those chariot wheel blades

Had to pop to the shops at about 9:30 this morning, thought I'd miss the school run otherwise I would've taken the long way around.

Instead I got the full gamut of:

• oncoming driver flashing lights to encourage another driver to pull out in front of me - they got halfway out before stopping while I dropped anchor and roared
    • driver getting super close and I think preparing to overtake when I stopped at a pedestrian crossing outside the school. I took primary which did the trick.
    • I stayed behind a slow moving driver because my spidey sense was tingling... then they did a simultaneous left turn into an entrance as they flicked on the indicator.
    • driver overtaking me downhill in the wet and then braking in front of me because there was a slower cyclist ahead of us

All of the above was literally along a kilometre of road. Next time I'll wait half an hour before venturing out.

On the bright side, there was a Bakfiets cargo bike parked at the shop - lifted my spirits!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

odd one earlier. pulled in at a corner (and was very definitely in off the main lane); got beeped at - just a quick tap - by someone in a car coming off the minor road at the junction, so i just gave them an 'oh, don't mind me, i'm stopped here' sort of gesture, and she gave me *daggers*; and as she drove past her teenage daughter gave me a dead eyed stare while flipping the bird at me through the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Needs moar diagrams 😛

Got told to “Take it easy” when I went “Heeeyyyy!” at a minibus driver who decided to pull out of a driveway right in front of me. If I’d taken it easy on the brakes he’d have had to clean me off the side of his vehicle 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Needs moar diagrams 😛

of the hand gesture? i was pulled in probably alongside the golf here, with my wheels beside the kerb. well inside the dashed yellow line anyway. the driver was approaching from the road the street view car is on and taking the left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5735697,-6.2825677,3a,75y,220.5h,71.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBEL-timQeGnZ7V8B9edUUQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Just kidding - left deliberately ambiguous in hope of stick figure drawing with goofy faces and angrily raised digit

the amount of batshittery i've seen on the roads recently is funny. i had a lovely wide overtake yesterday by a lad in a red yaris, only issue was he came sailing past me about 60m from a crossroads, one where we were approaching from the minor road. i think he copped he'd made a mistake though, he steadfastly ignored my big smiley gestures at him when i caught up with him.

Riding in a continuous-line cycle lane, little traffic, I check behind and nudge out a little ahead of an illegally-parked car partly blocking the lane.

Beeeep!

I point to the obstructing vehicle, shout to the effect of what-was-I-supposed-to-do (no obsenities or anything, though), as a car appears from behind, though I thought from far enough that my slight change in road position shouldn’t have affected them

They pull up alongside and tell me I didn’t indicate. OK, maybe I hadn't, but I’m normally a ‘big indicator’ and cautious mover-outer 😛, and in this instance my gut instinct a that I was being unreaonably beeped (though I will stand corrected if dashcam footage emerge on the Day of Judgement to demontrate my guilt).

They then drove ahead a little and immediately made a left turn down a side road just in front of my wheel as I grabbed my brakes. Oh wait, that’s OK though – they were indicating! 🤗

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This pothole has developed it's own pothole within. Normally I'm further out and avoiding it altogether but this morning I wasn't and it has destroyed 2 tubolito tubes which I'm hoping saved my hunt wheels from anything.

where is it?

It's just after the lights , across from the funeral home. A bus and a taxi in close proximity made me second guess my road positioning. The new small pothole did the damage.

I don't think normal tubes would've popped so badly though

Outside St Michaels house?

The other side. Southbound. Right after the lights. The dip has long been there. It was badly patched up in that not too distant past. It's been marked again for some sort of work and has now developed it's own little pothole inside.

I've contacted dcc road maintenance about it anyway. That stretch is crap and had been for years.

I find anywhere that Richard Nolan engineers digs up is in a worse state after they're done too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Between their inability to manage traffic properly or finish a job, it's a wonder Nolan are still in business. Must be an industry with little competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I think Richard Nolan’s workmanship is second to none. Certainly did a great job on Bray Main Street a couple of years ago.

Gotta love the eBike rider who felt the need to squeeze by me uphill in one of those yes-it-would-be-a-good-thing-if it-were-a-decent-width ‘curbed-off-on-road' cycle lanes yokes this morning, only to move out at the next break in the barrier a couple of feet later to get onto the main carriageway to turn right later 🙄

Beeped at by a truck driver today. The reason? He apparently struggled to overtake me on a dual carriageway, or failed to observe the massive roadworks pit that meant the cycle track was closed. Or both probably.

• Advertisement

2 **** puncture each wheel, same time and this time is entirely my own fault for taking a short cut and disengaging the brain.

Can't get one tyre off at all, can't get the other back on. Have broken 2 levers and have blisters fingers.

I don't know if hunt carbon wheels are for me. second time it's happened, but last time it was not my fault at least.

Someone managed to reverse into my cargo bike while it was parked outside creche this morning. Hoofed half of it up onto the kerb despite the brake being on and the back wheel being locked.
    One broken spoke and one bent one which he's offered to cover, but I'm just baffled as to how you miss something of that size in your mirror - the roof was on, so it's the height of an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Paddigol

He was dropping his kid off too, when he came out he rushed straight over to apologise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'll be honest, f*ck them, say you can't trust the frame and you use it to transport kids. You want their insurance company to either replace it or have an assessor come out and sign of that the incident done no damage.

If nothing else, they will check their mirror when reversing in future. Imagine if that was a child who didn't realise what was happening or someone with a physical impairment who couldn't leap out of the way.

Advertisement