Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Weepsie wrote: »
    People who lock their bike like this.

That's 4 spaces taken up. It's not even locked well

That blue one on the right with the sign in the front triangle must be a hoot to ride in a crosswind

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Thanks to the moron who walked out in front of me without looking, listening, hardly even seeming to be participating in his own life. Now I need to get a new helmet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

loafing them in the snot was hardly a reasonable response?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you OK yourself?

you OK yourself?

Arra I’m grand. Slightly bruised jaw but definitely came off the better of the two of us. Walking into 78kg clipping along is not a good idea, poor eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Miklos wrote: »
    Arra I’m grand. Slightly bruised jaw but definitely came off the better of the two of us. Walking into 78kg clipping along is not a good idea, poor eejit.

Had they their head stuck in their phone?

I avoided a gobsh1te who stepped out in front of me before and I got stuck in the Luas tracks. Somehow i came off legs first over the handlebars and bounced on my hole along the ground.

The fcuking bollix didn't even realise i had to dodge him. Earphones in.

A bunch of nurses came over to help me up. I walked off like John fcuking Wayne with my pride in ribbons.

Had they their head stuck in their phone?

I avoided a gobsh1te who stepped out in front of me before and I got stuck in the Luas tracks. Somehow i came off legs first over the handlebars and bounced on my hole along the ground.

The fcuking bollix didn't even realise i had to dodge him. Earphones in.

A bunch of nurses came over to help me up. I walked off like John fcuking Wayne with my pride in ribbons.

No but he had earbuds in so was deaf to my cries of WATCH OUT, WAKE UP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

People who lock their bike like this.

That's 4 spaces taken up. It's not even locked well

While doing a food shop recently, I tried to retrieve a particularly fetching trolley only to encounter this:

474294.jpg

There was no getting any of the trolleys past the handlebars, and it was impossible to move the handlebars/bike out of the way (without a sledgehammer). The temptation was to have a go at bending the handlebars to match that ridiculous right hood, it could only have improved what was basically an abomination of a bike, but I didn't.

Next time though, next time...

Seriously though, what kind of moron locks up their bike like this? I'm gonna guess the bike owner shares in the gene pool of those drivers that try their best to park their car inside the doorway of the supermarket as if this was perfectly normal behaviour. Prats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ha ha - if it's one of the many supermarkets /shopping centres that no bike racks, maybe the owner was hoping to get the attention of the management (not that I would do that myself ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Got another sidewall rip on a front tyre tonight at the airport. Conti GP 4000s ii. The rip was in the sidewall, along a seam, it’s not the first time this has happened. They maybe done 12k and have out lived a set of wheels. Looking for recommendations for a good commute tyre. I’ve tried Gatorskins, great, but sloppy in the wet, Schwalbe ZX Ultremo nice but thin, Schwalbe Durango nice but heavy, and Mavic Yksion Elite Guard, 8 punctures in a week, durning the beast from the East last year.

If your doin 250km+ commutes a week and are happy with your tyres, please let me know.

• Advertisement

doozerie wrote: »

Seriously though, what kind of moron locks up their bike like this?

Security in our local tesco are happy to let me leave my bike inside beside them just inside the door where they have their position and monitor even though there is a bike rack it's poorly placed and you often have teens gathered outside in close proximity to the stand.

Puggy wrote: »
    Got another sidewall rip on a front tyre tonight at the airport. Conti GP 4000s ii. The rip was in the sidewall, along a seam, it’s not the first time this has happened. They maybe done 12k and have out lived a set of wheels. Looking for recommendations for a good commute tyre. I’ve tried Gatorskins, great, but sloppy in the wet, Schwalbe ZX Ultremo nice but thin, Schwalbe Durango nice but heavy, and Mavic Yksion Elite Guard, 8 punctures in a week, durning the beast from the East last year.

If your doin 250km+ commutes a week and are happy with your tyres, please let me know.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109383585

ask, and you shall get fourteen different answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

12k seems like a pretty decent tire return to me. What exactly are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ha ha - if it's one of the many supermarkets /shopping centres that no bike racks, maybe the owner was hoping to get the attention of the management (not that I would do that myself ;))

I'll happily do this if there's no other option. Local Lidl has no racks (apparently it's centre owner's problem, not Lidl's) so I have to use whatever is convenient. Whatever is convenient is usually a carpark safety barrier or similar but sometimes it's the trolley rack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Leroy42 wrote: »
    12k seems like a pretty decent tire return to me. What exactly are you looking for?

12k from GP4000S is really good, about twice what I would have expected on Irish roads for commuting. If you want more than that, your looking at touring tyres, Schwalbe City or marathon really.

i managed to cycle through a pedestrian crossing earlier just as the lights went green for the pedestrians, like the big tool i am.
    is there a cycling equivalent of a swear jar i can pop a fiver into?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Just checked me orders from CRC and I’ve used 2 sets over 12k, sorry about the bad info. Also noticed that the price has dropped, maybe as a result of the Conti 5000? So I reckon I’ll go with another set of the Conti 4000’s. Also thanks for the link to the other tyre thread, no pun intended,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Puncture this morning a few hundred metres from work. Also, cycled from Santry to city centre via Drumcondra for the first time in ages. Traffic was abysmal. I don't get how people can do that daily.

Puncture this morning a few hundred metres from work. Also, cycled from Santry to city centre via Drumcondra for the first time in ages. Traffic was abysmal. I don't get how people can do that daily.

Its about alternatives. What other option do you have to make that journey? Public transport or private car. Private car is very slow, and very expensive. Public transport is expensive (IMO) and based on my own admittedly limited usage, not as reliable as cycling.

I totally agree on the traffic and my OH refuses to cycle on the basis of how scary it all is (despite accepting that I do it everyday). I cycle through Fairview into City Centre and TBH I actually think it is one of the better routes for cycling as it has plenty of cycle lanes and bus lanes. Still lots of potential problems, and I have had numerous close calls and a few crashes, but overall I would say it is the best form of transport to take.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Oh I completely get that. I cycle 80-90% of the time as it is. I just hadn't used that route in a while but I had top drop something off. I know it's a main route, feeds DCU, St. Pats, a host of Schools and business but that traffic was not moving

• Advertisement

Oh I completely get that. I cycle 80-90% of the time as it is. I just hadn't used that route in a while but I had top drop something off. I know it's a main route, feeds DCU, St. Pats, a host of Schools and business but that traffic was not moving

Ah ok, I misunderstood you, I thought you were asking how people cycle it daily.

My bad, I'll go back to the cave again!

CYCLISTS - TOP TIP - when hanging your gear up in a communal locker room, don't hang it up inside out; that way i don't have to find your smelly chamois nestled lovingly up against my cycling top when i go down to get changed for the commute home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

CYCLISTS - TOP TIP - when hanging your gear up in a communal locker room, don't hang it up inside out; that way i don't have to find your smelly chamois nestled lovingly up against my cycling top when i go down to get changed for the commute home.

Sorry. I was in a rush but please don’t be too quick to judge. They were fresh on me this morning. I hadn’t worn them in 2 days as they were sitting in a heap on the floor after a 100km cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bless me King Kelly for I have sinned.

This morning I was at a crossroads, waiting to turn right. The car behind me slowly inched forward until the front wheel was alongside me (to my left). The driver was not indicating, but I had a sneaking suspicion that when the light changed they were going to cut across me.

I could see the green for the opposing traffic turn red, so I went for it to make sure I'd get ahead. Unfortunately, the next green in the sequence was for the minor side road, and I just went through a red light instead.

Apologies all. It's my fault people can have a go at cyclists today, sure I gave us all a bad name. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Its about alternatives. What other option do you have to make that journey? Public transport or private car. Private car is very slow, and very expensive. Public transport is expensive (IMO) and based on my own admittedly limited usage, not as reliable as cycling.
    If only there was a form of transport that went really fast like a car, went through traffic like a bicycle, had free parking and cost less than a car to run and insure.

Lumen wrote: »
    If only there was a form of transport that went really fast like a car, went through traffic like a bicycle, had free parking and cost less than a car to run and insure.

Yeah, but it needs 4 extra seats and a boot in case you ever need to bring a bag with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yeah, but it needs 4 extra seats and a boot in case you ever need to bring a bag with you.

Or a fridge-freezer. I'm always driving around with a fridge-freezer in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

check_six wrote: »
    Or a fridge-freezer. I'm always driving around with a fridge-freezer in the boot.

Now that you mention it....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Got great amusement this morning from the driver who beeped at me and pointed at the dashed cycle track, because he wasn't impressed that I was out a bit while overtaking cyclists. I smiled and waved, and then shrugged as he indicated up ahead and pulled into said cycle lane to drop off his passenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

buffalo wrote: »
    Got great amusement this morning from the driver who beeped at me and pointed at the dashed cycle track, because he wasn't impressed that I was out a bit while overtaking cyclists. I smiled and waved, and then shrugged as he indicated up ahead and pulled into said cycle lane to drop off his passenger.
    :pac:
    You should have stopped behind him loudly asking "Eh, will you be long? 'Cos I don't want to move out to go around you now that you've pointed out the error of my ways. Eh, will you be long...? Eh..."

Advertisement