Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford University discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I don't understand why everyone has to park at the college, can people not avail of public transport?

The college is slap bang up beside the roughest area in the southeast bar none.

Hanging around waiting for the miserable excuse for public transport could easily get you knifed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hanging around waiting for the miserable excuse for public transport could easily get you knifed!

Not everybody surrounding the college are "rough" or are waiting to "knife" people. :rolleyes:

I recall you objecting to people generalising about Waterpark, be careful - your doing the exact same about WIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

The area has problems alright but you are unlikely to get attacked. I moved down to waterford recently and I live near ballybeg and near the travellers camp. I have never had a bad word spoken to me even at three in the morning when we sometimes walk home from town.

Same rules apply as any other place. Keep your head up and don't look at anyone directly but be aware whats around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I am currently in UL and I'm here because my course wasn't offered in WIT.
    The amount of money that my parents are paying weekly to keep me up here is pretty ridiculous to say the least.

Coming from a financial point of view and nothing else, I do believe that WIT should be aiming for University status because I think it's unfair that there is a University located in every part of the country with the exception of the South-East.

We are the only people that are forced to spend a lot of money to go to University and that, I think, is definately most unfair.

Great points. My own daughter was having an audition at UL last year and we spoke to a girl from Galway who was also auditioning. Two Unis in the space of 50 miles? And ONE can't be provided for the SE - placing a huge financial burden on parents in this region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

1. There are students who live within walking distance (living in Lismore Park) DRIVING to college each day.:rolleyes:

2. Generalising doesn't even cover that comment. Many attacks in Waterford have been carried out in so-called 'respectable' areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,316 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats your opinion and its obviously an opinion that is not shared by others contributing to this thread.

Thats a bit uncalled for. Inflammatory remarks like that wont be tolerated on this forum.

Infraction given and I trust there will be no repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Sully wrote: »
    Not everybody surrounding the college are "rough" or are waiting to "knife" people. :rolleyes:

I recall you objecting to people generalising about Waterpark, be careful - your doing the exact same about WIT.
    luvlylady wrote: »
    Are you for real?
    The area has problems alright but you are unlikely to get attacked. I moved down to waterford recently and I live near ballybeg and near the travellers camp. I have never had a bad word spoken to me even at three in the morning when we sometimes walk home from town.

Same rules apply as any other place. Keep your head up and don't look at anyone directly but be aware whats around you.
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    1. There are students who live within walking distance (living in Lismore Park) DRIVING to college each day.:rolleyes:

2. Generalising doesn't even cover that comment. Many attacks in Waterford have been carried out in so-called 'respectable' areas.
    muffler wrote: »
    Thats your opinion and its obviously an opinion that is not shared by others contributing to this thread.

Thats a bit uncalled for. Inflammatory remarks like that wont be tolerated on this forum.

Infraction given and I trust there will be no repeat.

Sorry guys, forgot i wasnt in afterhours with that comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,316 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right so. We can leave that now and get on with discussing the topic at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Actually to be honest I'd find it a lot handier if we did have one in Waterford for when the fees get reintroduced...And they will. Least if we're paying five grand for a course we won't have to pay the additional 10 living expences.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Quick question, if WIT gets UNI Status, will these cough cough "admin Fees" rise more because it is a UNI??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Lads education minister Bat O' Keefe has said that IF third level fees are re-introduced, it would not be under the 100,000 euro threshold. If anyone's family income is that high, you're certainly not gonna feel the pinch for paying for college fees.

And if they do decide to bring in fees for everyone I'd say every college and secondary school student will march upon the dail and rightfully so. I'd say we don't have too much to worry about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

To be honest with ya I'm expecting it to be coming in in all ways shapes and forms. Next they will discontinue the option to repeat exams in the summer and for a 15% exam we'll have to pay the full whack of a full years module. If the colleges are indeed in as much trouble as they say they are they can't rely on foreign students and the administration fee's alone. We;re alreay feelin the pinch.

However it'd be nice if that means test were true.

and I don't know about your admin fees but ours were over a grand this year in ucc and that's been a steady rise in the three years I'm attending so you'd never know you could get bitten on that front IF it does become a university. But all in good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Anyone hear anything about A South East University?

text I got today:

"according to briefing, university of south east going to be delivered"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

text I got today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0909/1224303756350.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Wait now, am I reading this right?
    Cabinet agrees to fast-track university for southeast

THE GOVERNMENT has decided to “accelerate” the establishment of a technological university in the southeast following the decision of the TalkTalk call centre to close down its facility in Waterford, with the loss of over 500 jobs.

They're not saying that they've decided to review, or study, or report, or otherwise kick to touch... they've agreed to fast-track it and decided to accelerate its establishment, rather than kicking to touch as every other government has always done.

Should I pop open the champagne now or should I wait until the word "University" is over a door in Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

fricatus wrote: »
    Should I pop open the champagne now or should I wait until the word "University" is over a door in Waterford?

News just in: Brendan McCann has launched an objection. :D

Wait now, am I reading this right?

They're not saying that they've decided to review, or study, or report, or otherwise kick to touch... they've agreed to fast-track it and decided to accelerate its establishment, rather than kicking to touch as every other government has always done.

Believe it when you see it. "Fast track" to them could mean years knowing politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Well, I hope they buy up the old Waterford Crystal site and make it a good big campus, rather than this multi-campus crap which I fear is what they are considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭jmcc

text I got today:

Knowing these FGers and Labourites it will probably be in Carlow, Wexford or Kilkenny in the 22 nd Century.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Move along... Nothing to see here.. We didnt actually really mean you were getting one.. We just meant.. We'd.. em.. think about it faster.

Government clarifies stance on proposed ‘technological university’ for Waterford

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I forgot about the report. I suppose it wouldn't be smart to run with a plan without actually making sure it would work, so they need to establish that first than decide who deserves it. Wonder will WIT make it - I assume they judge more than just the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

When will certain people here realise that there is no will in Dublin to give the South East a university. It's amazing how some people trust what certain politicians say on this matter. At most we'll get a name change in a couple of years time which will have very little economic impact on the region other than making us merge with other ITs and therefore making a lot of people go to Carlow for example to do certain courses and a lot of the great work that has been done in WIT in recent years setting up certain courses will be lost. Afterall, one of the plans floated last year was to merge with CIT and have all the higher level stuff taught down there and leave us with the leftovers. Why oh why don't people realise that politicians just want to throw out a nice soundbite in the form of a false promise that they will later backtrack on and say that they were mis-quoted or that they meant something else or that their coalition colleagues blocked it. If we're waiting for a university here to get us out of our mess then we're fooked!
    I forgot about the report. I suppose it wouldn't be smart to run with a plan without actually making sure it would work.

It is therefore not very smart of them to promise the designation on two occasions is it?

Id say the South East will get one alright. Just be interesting to see who gets it and where it will be located :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

dayshah wrote: »
    Well, I hope they buy up the old Waterford Crystal site and make it a good big campus, rather than this multi-campus crap which I fear is what they are considering.
    AFAIK theres a problem with the land of the Waterford Crystal site. Something to do with the lead in the ground. Fairly sure I was told this when I asked why someone just doesnt buy the site, but I could easily be wrong.

Well if we get one it'll be definitely at least two ITs involved but Waterford would have to be the major campus. Not sure how it would work though when campuses would be so far apart. Imo, it'll be mainly a name change as it was from RTC to IT as becoming a full-blown university just isn't an option. There are some great lecturers in WIT but university teaching is a completely different ball game. We would not be able to completely change the way we teach and what we teach. Also, the number of hours delivered by university lecturers is around a third of the equivalent for an IT lecturer and I can't see the govt hiring a shedload more lecturers. The infrastructure for a university is also not quite there in WIT (I mean the physical infrastructure as opposed to all the other types that are missing). Class sizes are becoming more like those in universities but there's already problems with there not being enough classrooms large enough to accomodate the larger groups.

It'll be an interesting few months ahead but don't be surprised if another investigation is done and the conclusion is reached that it would not be a good idea to change things. From the point of view of WIT (as opposed to the wider regional considerations) I think WIT is better off as an IT, as it could continue to attempt to be the best IT, rather than one of the weakest universities. big fish, small pond and all that.

AFAIK theres a problem with the land of the Waterford Crystal site. Something to do with the lead in the ground. Fairly sure I was told this when I asked why someone just doesnt buy the site, but I could easily be wrong.

The lead rumour applied beside Maxol also where Aldi now sits. I mentioned this to the former president and was told there wasn't the money. A great idea, just not the money.

The lead rumour applied beside Maxol also where Aldi now sits. I mentioned this to the former president and was told there wasn't the money. A great idea, just not the money.

I wonder where all the money went :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Well Richard Bruton said on 6.1 News during the week..
    The region I know has been very strong in its view that there needs to be a technological university and Im very pleased that one of the measures decided by cabinet is that will be explored much more rapidly

In the context of the region being treated like the runt of the Irish litter, how ridiculous would it be for him to say that, and then say that the rapid exploration has found that we're getting FA.

Joining with CIT will strengthen the Cork economy and thereby drag the local South Eastern economy further into the mess.

I dunno, theres been so many things said with conviction pre election by Labour and FG politicians that are now gone very watery that I just don't believe we're going to get treated fairly as a region. The competing regions are too strong in terms of TD numbers and influence.

It suits all the main parties just fine to let Waterford go down the plug hole. It just saves them money. They'll lose 2 or 3 TDs. Big deal to them. John Deasy's website doesn't even mention Talk Talk. The last statement is from August 27th and before that, May 6th.

I just don't believe its in any of the parties' interests to strengthen Waterford. Why would they when all that will do is annoy TDs from Cork, Wexford and Kilkenny.. Cork especially given they have the only University in the South. Same goes for the airport.. Show me another gateway city thats 2 hours from an airport with a proper runway. Same reason goes?

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

FYI, a blog post on the issue:
    The fall-out from TalkTalk and a Technological University for the South East.

By the way, last I heard, the WIT-CIT merger was off the table again. WIT were in talks with Carlow.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »

By the way, last I heard, the WIT-CIT merger was off the table again. WIT were in talks with Carlow.

Indeed. The WIT/CIT really makes no sense imo and I can't see it happening. The one with Carlow is much more likely to happen if anything does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Brilliant article. The only wish that I would have when people are making comparisons with Galway is that they wouldn't just use the official city populations, which are skewed by boundary idiosyncracies.

The population of the Galway area as defined by the population living within 25 km of the city centre is 152,000. The equivalent figure for the Waterford area is 131,000.

This comparison is never made public because like-for-like population statistics are not published in this country as far as I can see. I have heard people justify Galway having a university and Waterford not on the basis that the population of Co. Waterford is only 113,707 as against Co. Galway's 250,541. This ignores the fact that Co. Galway has three times the land area of Co. Waterford, and that people living in suburban areas on the northside of Waterford are not counted, because they're in Co. Kilkenny.

I worked this population comparison out using a map of District Electoral Areas, a compass and pencil, the Census 2011 results and a copy of Excel. If anyone can do a more accurate job, please do!

Its fast changing but I had heard last year that Carlow refused to talk with WIT. Has that now changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Strange that Tipp Campuses have been brought under the wing of LIT. And they don't seem to happy about it..

Even with that the land has to be used for something, or it will go derelict. Maybe it could be used for more industry. But I think spending a few million to clean it up for WIT would be well worth the money. I really don't like the idea of multi-campus, and using the W Crystal site means they can bring the stuff back in from Carriganore. Its expensive, but its a long term vision we need.

Its fast changing but I had heard last year that Carlow refused to talk with WIT. Has that now changed?

The new government moved the goal posts by talking about a 'technical university for the south east' in the programme for government. So it has to be south east institutes. Some time later WIT announced they had begun talks with Carlow IT.

Brilliant article. The only wish that I would have when people are making comparisons with Galway is that they wouldn't just use the official city populations, which are skewed by boundary idiosyncracies.

The population of the Galway area as defined by the population living within 25 km of the city centre is 152,000. The equivalent figure for the Waterford area is 131,000.

This comparison is never made public because like-for-like population statistics are not published in this country as far as I can see. I have heard people justify Galway having a university and Waterford not on the basis that the population of Co. Waterford is only 113,707 as against Co. Galway's 250,541. This ignores the fact that Co. Galway has three times the land area of Co. Waterford, and that people living in suburban areas on the northside of Waterford are not counted, because they're in Co. Kilkenny.

I worked this population comparison out using a map of District Electoral Areas, a compass and pencil, the Census 2011 results and a copy of Excel. If anyone can do a more accurate job, please do!

Well done! :) Agree that city populations are actually not the most important population figures to use. What is important is that both region have more or less the same populations, with the south east coming in a bit higher.

These sort of questions have come up before:

30 minute drivetime catchments:
    Waterford: 120,000
    Galway: 134,000

More or less the same story is told in these figures.

Can't find some of the originals source I found before... but, Drivetime populations from Waterford. (Okay, it's a developer but they obviously paid the CSO for those figures.)

Incidentally, as to the cities themselves, I predicted in another thread, after the census 2011, that when the final results come out -- after suburbs are added -- the populations of Waterford and Galway will look as follows:

Waterford 51,550 +4.7%
    Galway 75,800 +4.2%

Interestingly, Tramore will probably come in around 11,000. At what point should we start thinking of Waterford and Tramore as pretty much the same entity? The population is clearly being split between the two and there is less than 6km between the Waterford city boundary and the start of the Tramore urban area. The combined population will probably come out around 63,000 in the final census results.

The shame of it is that with city and county councils under pressure to merge, there may no longer be counties representing urban areas anymore, which I believe would be a terrible development. (Merge away, but please preserve urban/rural divide.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I see John Deasy has added his spake on the issue today. I think this shows there certainly is no consensus on the issue in government yet.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0911/waterfordit.html

I see John Deasy has added his spake on the issue today. I think this shows there certainly is no consensus on the issue in government yet.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0911/waterfordit.html

Meh, he complained about the party in opposition. He has been complaining again about the party while in government for the same reasons (not University, but the whole "different messages" ) and picked the perfect opportunity to get more national attention. Pinch of salt tbh, just seems like attention seeking.

WIT University isn't our solution, maybe it might help long term a multi-university campus in the South East.

• Advertisement

Meh, he complained about the party in opposition. He has been complaining again about the party while in government for the same reasons (not University, but the whole "different messages" ) and picked the perfect opportunity to get more national attention. Pinch of salt tbh, just seems like attention seeking.

WIT University isn't our solution, maybe it might help long term a multi-university campus in the South East.

Well Sully there are many people who do believe the University is the issue.What is it that Deasy said that is incorrect?

These are the facts of the present situation.

The government has not agreed to fast track the upgrade or to even facilitate it at all.

We are in the same position as we were prior to the election.

Deasy is bang on the money and is doing his duty by letting us know.

I would trust Deasy on this a lot more than the other two light weights.

This idea of a multi-university campus is great if it effectively means a merger with Carlow and Waterford and the upgrade of the merged institution to a University. However it doesn't mean this. It means spreading any would be new institution across several campus in Waterford, Carlow, Wexford and Kilkenny for the benefit of messrs Hogan and Howlin.

This idea of a multi-university campus is great if it effectively means a merger with Carlow and Waterford and the upgrade of the merged institution to a University. However it doesn't mean this. It means spreading any would be new institution across several campus in Waterford, Carlow, Wexford and Kilkenny for the benefit of messrs Hogan and Howlin.

If we merge with Carlow, will people not think that WIT has been brought down to their level, rather than them brought up. Also, which courses should stop being provided in Waterford? Business? Computers? Engineering? Because there already is course overlap between the two, and a merged institution will have to take advantage of economies of scale but concentrating courses in either of the two institutions.

We might as well forget about a university in Waterford, it's never going to happen. All 3 main parties have fed us lies and empty promises that they are in favour of a university in the South East, but when it comes to their chance at making a decision they are too afraid or just simply don't want Waterford to have a university.

Gilmore is now hiding behind the excuse of "we have to set the criteria for a technological university first" i.e. more reports, consultations. I know they have to set the criteria but the draft criteria are in place since June, it should now just be a matter of quickly finalising these, but the impression I get from Gilmore's comments is that this process will take a long time. What will probably happen is a year from now the criteria will be published, WIT will fall short on some, and the Government will have their excuse to delay the university upgrade yet again.

Well Sully there are many people who do believe the University is the issue.What is it that Deasy said that is incorrect?

These are the facts of the present situation.

The government has not agreed to fast track the upgrade or to even facilitate it at all.

We are in the same position as we were prior to the election.

Deasy is bang on the money and is doing his duty by letting us know.

I would trust Deasy on this a lot more than the other two light weights.

Everytime we hear anything from Deasy over the years, its mostly moaning or giving out about the party and now his government. He is still a backbench TD after all these years and there seems to be no working together here in Waterford among his fellow elected members for the good of Waterford. Waterfords only voice came from Fianna Fail, when we should have had a FG Minister in the past and the present, but alas, we don't and Deasy probably wont ever be.

I didn't hear the interview on radio, so I cant say for certain what views were expressed but it just seems to be a bit of jumping on the negative bandwagon to get some publicity. Eveytime I see or hear his name, its never good and just whining.

As far back as I can remember, WIT were talking about a multi-campus spread across the South East. Not just for Waterford, but for the South East as a whole. There has always been a case for and against University for Waterford and everybody else. The government are making a commitment to establishing a new type of University, which might just work in our favour. They have agreed, without pressure, to accelerate the study done into this (it would be rash to just say "Arah, give em the Uni badge and let it work itself out" rather than actually coming with a structure for it) and I for one will be lobbying TDs and Ministers to stop dawdling and get on with it.

We might as well forget about a university in Waterford, it's never going to happen. All 3 main parties have fed us lies and empty promises that they are in favour of a university in the South East, but when it comes to their chance at making a decision they are too afraid or just simply don't want Waterford to have a university.

Gilmore is now hiding behind the excuse of "we have to set the criteria for a technological university first" i.e. more reports, consultations. I know they have to set the criteria but the draft criteria are in place since June, it should now just be a matter of quickly finalising these, but the impression I get from Gilmore's comments is that this process will take a long time. What will probably happen is a year from now the criteria will be published, WIT will fall short on some, and the Government will have their excuse to delay the university upgrade yet again.

Just shake our fists bitterly at the sky? The usual Waterford response to every setback.

Just shake our fists bitterly at the sky? The usual Waterford response to every setback.
    I'm not saying we should just get angry and give up, I'm just saying the game is up now. I have been optimistic for every step of the process to try get the university but I am now just being realistic. Hand on heart, do you honestly believe now that the university, technological or otherwise, will ever happen?

See the bits below in bold, another bloody review? A review to see if a TU could be created? Sure why couldn't a TU be set up?
    Minister Richard Bruton says an independent expert has been appointed to examine the process of moving towards a university for the SouthEast. He was speaking to public representatives following his meeting in Talk Talk this morning. There were mixed messages coming from the Government on the issue last week after reports suggested that university status for the South East was to be fast-tracked. However, the Department of Education has clarified that it has not yet decided to create a university in the region and was instead looking to speed-up a review into whether new Technological Universities could be created.

Sinn Fein Senator David Cullinane was unhappy with the lack of commitment from Minister Bruton, who says many hurdles stand in the way of an upgrade of WIT. Senator Cullinane says that, pre-election, the coalition parties recognised the need for a university in the region. Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore says the draft criteria for establishing such a university has been decided upon, but that the review will take time.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/128664.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 EMSCHAP

Minister Bruton speaks about a the appointment of another expert to look into the criteria for a Technological university. We already have an expert report on a university in Waterford which was broadly in favour. A multi campus TU in the South East is just another attempt to fob us off. Do not forget that all the running for a university here has been done in Waterford ALONE with little assistance from the other counties. Now Ministers Howlin and Hogan are showing interest so that they can claim to be bringing a university to their towns.

Everytime we hear anything from Deasy over the years, its mostly moaning or giving out about the party and now his government. He is still a backbench TD after all these years and there seems to be no working together here in Waterford among his fellow elected members for the good of Waterford. Waterfords only voice came from Fianna Fail, when we should have had a FG Minister in the past and the present, but alas, we don't and Deasy probably wont ever be. .

Sully Deasy is Waterford Fine Gael!.Paudie Coffey's addition to the benches is by virtue of the political backlash against the previous government it is absolutely nothing to do with his ability or performance. If the second Fine Gael seat becomes threatened which it will then it will inevitably be Coffey that will be in danger here. There is twenty to thirty seats in Fine Gael and Labour that are there because the voters had nowhere elese to go and Coffey is one of these.When politics normalises in this country or if another political force comes into Irish politics in the next decade FG will still need Deasy as the primary vote getter. As much as Enda Kenny and FG nationally wish to see Coffey Eclipse Deasy the fact is Coffey is still in Deasys shadow.

I didn't hear the interview on radio, so I cant say for certain what views were expressed but it just seems to be a bit of jumping on the negative bandwagon to get some publicity. Eveytime I see or hear his name, its never good and just whining.

The fact is we need to kmow what the government is thinking.The issue is whether Deasy called it accurately or not. Deasy can be a moaner or a whiner or a Screamer,I don't give a sh!t.All I am interested in is the accuracy of what he says and the indications are that he is bang on the money.At least Deasy has some backbone which is a lot more that can be said for the other two fools.

As far back as I can remember, WIT were talking about a multi-campus spread across the South East. Not just for Waterford, but for the South East as a whole. There has always been a case for and against University for Waterford and everybody else. The government are making a commitment to establishing a new type of University, which might just work in our favour. They have agreed, without pressure, to accelerate the study done into this (it would be rash to just say "Arah, give em the Uni badge and let it work itself out" rather than actually coming with a structure for it) and I for one will be lobbying TDs and Ministers to stop dawdling and get on with it.

Well as far back as I can remember the Multi Campus proposal has only surfaced in the last three or four years at the most.In that period we have gone from a Univesity to a Technological Univesity to a Multi-Campus Technological University. Phrases like "the government making a commitment" are politico speak to appease the peasants, nothing more.There has been enough reports and legislation. The legislative tools are already there and have been for years. The government needs to make an announcement not a "commitment". Nobody is just asking for a badge. We are looking for a plan not another report.

I'm not saying we should just get angry and give up, I'm just saying the game is up now. I have been optimistic for every step of the process to try get the university but I am now just being realistic. Hand on heart, do you honestly believe now that the university, technological or otherwise, will ever happen?

See the bits below in bold, another bloody review? A review to see if a TU could be created? Sure why couldn't a TU be set up?

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/128664.html

I think a technological university of some kind for the south east will more than likely be set up, probably alongside another one based on DIT in Dublin, and possibly one in Cork. But it won't be as easy as that.

Maybe 6 years ago the situation was nearly hopeless. (We could have all given up then with good conscience.) An OECD report from 2002 gave a big fat 'no' and there was absolutely no appetite for it whatsoever. That was it. This changed around 2005, or before, when three things happened: 1) the Chamber of Commerce and the council started agitating strongly again and they commissioned a report (the Goodbody report), which highlighted the benefits a university would bring to the south east; 2) WIT, with Kieran Byrne on board, was very bullishly pro-university, and attempted to take a test case against the universities act which provided, in principle, for admissions into the university sector; and 3) Cullen in cabinet commissioned the Port report to investigate the case for a university for the south east. A few years later, when the momentum reached a certain point, a number of individuals restarted a campaign for a university: FUSE, etc.

This was a high point, but ultimately it was all packaged up and bundled, with everything else, into considerations for the Hunt report. Then the recession came and that was the end of that for a while. But gains had been made. The case had been made very strongly and awareness had increased dramatically. The Hunt report pretty much had to "do something" with WIT. What that something was, was anyone's guess.

The Hunt report was released and made mention of technological universities. For the first time, this opened the door to WIT to apply for something that they had a reasonable chance of getting, because, essentially, it was for the likes of DIT and WIT that this new type of university was being proposed. Although, on the whole, the Hunt report was disappointing for Waterford, but not so disappointing that it hadn't given Waterford and the south east a way to progress.

The next event was the inclusion of the line about investigating the establishment of a technical university for the south east in the FG programme for government, and their subsequent election. This was the first time a major party, who were definitely going to be elected, had publicly stated, in a document addressed to the nation, that it was serious about a university in the south east -- although yes, there was wiggle room in there for them. They also used the terminology of the Hunt report (wrongly, but still) in referring to a technical university. This effectively united academic recommendations with a certain amount of political will in a process that pretty much has to be continued and can't really recommend nothing for WIT at the end of the day.

So my honest opinion is that if Waterford and the south east keeps up the pressure, fight all the battles and overcome all the setbacks, WIT will be upgraded/merged to become a technological university. Once separated from the other IoTs, anything is possible in the future. I believe that if a university in Waterford is given half a chance, i.e. even 60% of the funding and support the other universities get, it will take off. It will take off because the south east is a large region and there is be no competition nearby.

Looking at Galway and Limerick for comparison, student numbers could literally double in 10 years. There is a lot at stake, for us and for them, for that reason.

So in this relative high point in "the struggle" I wouldn't be getting too down hearted. ;) Imagine where the whole thing stood in 1997 when the Waterford University Action Group fought and won an upgrade to institute of technology status only for the lot of them to be upgraded a few months later? Pretty sickening stuff. But because it happened then, it's less likely to happen again. It would not be stood for, and I don't think the powers that be want it either. Anyway, enough of the history (although there's a lot more than that to be told). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

The idea of another university sounds great but what about the students who may not have the ability or the means to attend a university? Where do they go? Fas? As it stands fees for an IT are about half that when compared to a university. Also, some students cope better in an IT environment where the lessons are more structured than a university and lecture type approach. University teaching is a lot more independent than what you currently see in an IT, where class sizes smaller and more intimate. Many of the lecturers you currently come across in ITs are not actively involved in research - this is a must for a university. Some of them don't have PhDs either, can we just drop those? I don't think so - we gave many (most) of them full time permanent jobs for life! What happens if WIT becomes a university - we carry along all those lecturers who are not qualified to teach at university level and ultimately end up with a poor university. I'd be in much more favour of an excellent IT than a poor or mediocre university!

The idea of another university sounds great but what about the students who may not have the ability or the means to attend a university? Where do they go? Fas? As it stands fees for an IT are about half that when compared to a university. Also, some students cope better in an IT environment where the lessons are more structured than a university and lecture type approach. University teaching is a lot more independent than what you currently see in an IT, where class sizes smaller and more intimate. Many of the lecturers you currently come across in ITs are not actively involved in research - this is a must for a university. Some of them don't have PhDs either, can we just drop those? I don't think so - we gave many (most) of them full time permanent jobs for life! What happens if WIT becomes a university - we carry along all those lecturers who are not qualified to teach at university level and ultimately end up with a poor university. I'd be in much more favour of an excellent IT than a poor or mediocre university!.

The universities and the IoTs are teaching degrees to largely the same standard, so if you can do a degree in an IoT, you can do it in a university. Also, certs and ordinary degrees will have to still be offered by technological universities, so they would remain. That's already in the draft HEA criteria. This also takes care of lecturers who aren't trained to a high enough level to teach degrees. Actually, though, quite a high percentage of WIT staff have PhDs these days, so it wouldn't be a problem. Some universities, such as NUIM, could be said to very friendly, with small class sizes in many cases, so I wouldn't say there is as much of a difference between university and IoT environments as you imply. I personally wouldn't notice the difference, except maybe with large universities.

So no real grounds for fear, uncertainty and doubt. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement