Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Greenways for me offer multiple benefits that a train line won't -

Cycle tourism
    Walking/hiking tourism
    Safe eco friendly commuting routes for children/adults
    Safe trails for people to exercise
    Nature walks for children/adults
    Corridors for wildlife to travel through linking up different ecosystems

Many bus services in other countries carry trailers for bikes or have attachments at the front/back for bikes. It is something that could be made mandatory.

Some of the above will revive rural villages and towns, something that a train line will not offer.

I visited the Waterford Greenway last year and stayed for 2 nights. I wouldn't have travelled to the south east otherwise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We have just built a motorway from Tuam to Athenry, why build a railway as well?

Tuam to Dublin is 2hrs 20 min by car, and 3 hrs 45 min by public transport.

If demand exists, then buses will do the journey in much the same as cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Greenways for me offer multiple benefits that a train line won't -

Cycle tourism
    Walking/hiking tourism
    Safe eco friendly commuting routes for children/adults
    Safe trails for people to exercise
    Nature walks for children/adults
    Corridors for wildlife to travel through linking up different ecosystems

Many bus services in other countries carry trailers for bikes or have attachments at the front/back for bikes. It is something that could be made mandatory.

Some of the above will revive rural villages and towns, something that a train line will not offer.

I visited the Waterford Greenway last year and stayed for 2 nights. I wouldn't have travelled to the south east otherwise.

How did you get to the Waterford Greenway? By car?

I see from your response that what you're suggesting still involves cars.

If this is about tourism, is it the Irish tourist the market?

A significant amount of tourists take their bikes on the train (I can think of one incident, where the Dublin to Galway train was full of Germans with their bikes, going west. They don't hire both a car and a bike)

1)The journey for secondary school children of Ballyglunin to school in Athenry would be cycling over 30km every day!
    2) Rail is amazing for tourism, anyone who claims other wise is being obtuse. Donegal constantly lament their lack of rail.
    4) The disabled need to get places too... many can't cycle very far or don't have a car
    6) Many people simply don't have a car. I suspect in some of these routes, a car's involved...

We have just built a motorway from Tuam to Athenry, why build a railway as well?

Tuam to Dublin is 2hrs 20 min by car, and 3 hrs 45 min by public transport.

If demand exists, then buses will do the journey in much the same as cars.

I'm mindful this is a greenway forum, and I don't want to derail it but this is the pro-cycling infrastructure argument I point out. I think it's fair to put it here because greenways are about safe cycling and using cars less...

People who don't have cars
    1) Children
    2) Folk who can't afford them ie; students
    3) Disabled
    4) People without a drivers licence
    5) The motorway doesn't go to ballyglunin
    6) The motorway doesn't go to Craughwell
    7) Some folk are banned from driving and have to find another mode of transport...

Rail supports cycling. Many folk would take a train to a place and cycle back, as it would be a shorter easier journey. Cycling tourists are more likely to use rail. Tourists over 66 yrs are important too....

Can I suggest that you take the "debating the use of the closed WRC" to the thread designated for that purpose

https://boards.ie/thread/2057875618

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Greaney wrote: »
    Many in Mayo want rail access to the hospitals & colleges of Galway. Many don't cycle, own cars etc.

Trains are mass transit.. If you need public transport from small rural towns, it really has to buses... Unless youre planning to build rail lines to every crossroads and village in the county..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm lucky in that I can get a train from where I live, but lately I've been getting the coach to Dublin,
    Nearly as quick, and direct to my destination (not going city centre), significantly cheaper plus if I need a coach at 2 am to be at the airport for 6,its no problem..
    If you were going from tuam to Dublin ,its unlikely you'd be going direct, you'd have to change..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Can I suggest that you take the "debating the use of the closed WRC" to the thread designated for that purpose

That link doesn't seem to work...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Presumably it's meant to link to here.

Sorey, linking on the phone isn't great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Don’t forget to read first what you can’t discuss there, such as the West on Crack parody page on Facebook.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD:

Greenways.

As per title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

“Thought leadership” from the Greenway campaigners.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: @ Lord Glentora:

Less of the back seat modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

In Connemara at the moment. Parts of the Clifden Greenway (alongside the N59) are complete and there's a similar arrangement along part of the road to Roundstone. (Sorry I know that's all a bit vague for the map).

loyatemu wrote: »
    In Connemara at the moment. Parts of the Clifden Greenway (alongside the N59) are complete and there's a similar arrangement along part of the road to Roundstone. (Sorry I know that's all a bit vague for the map).

ok - looking at the Connemara Greenway page I see that the section along the Roundstone road (R341) is part of the overall route and is marked in green on their map. That map doesn't show the section that's open along the N59 though (looks like it was built as part of a road upgrade), and they're also resurfacing a long section of road near Maam Cross and seem to be surfacing the adjacent old railway alignment at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

ok - looking at the Connemara Greenway page I see that the section along the Roundstone road (R341) is part of the overall route and is marked in green on their map. That map doesn't show the section that's open along the N59 though (looks like it was built as part of a road upgrade), and they're also resurfacing a long section of road near Maam Cross and seem to be surfacing the adjacent old railway alignment at the same time.

Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of where the work is taking place (start and end points) does it look like they are actively putting in greenway fixtures or some sort of 'slap a bit of tarmac down on it while we have the tarmac truck in' (Unlikely to be the case but you never know...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

the section [is] open along the N59 though (looks like it was built as part of a road upgrade)
    This is correct - it is along the N59 and it was done as part of the road upgrade. What they did here, as they have done in other parts of the country, is to re-use the old road as a cycleway.
    Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of where the work is taking place (start and end points) does it look like they are actively putting in greenway fixtures
    I'm not sure if you want to be including this on your Greenway map or not, because it's not connected, or connectable, to other potential Greenways - to reach it by bike you would have to use quite a bit of regular road and it terminates close to no other potential Greenway site either.

It's near Derrylea Lough on the N59. Unfortunately, the Street View map is from 2009, so you can't see the finished product, but this shows the new road under construction, and the road marked as N59 on the Street View is where the cycleway is now.

You can't really see it too well from Google Satellite either, but Bing satellite has an excellent view of it.

488626.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Who made this idea of using the old road as a Greenway? It makes such good sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes.

What is the purpose of a greenway?

Is it a leisure amenity or a piece of transport infrastructure?
    One reason I ask is that I've run into a bit of flack on another thread for suggesting that "cyclists dismount" signs on a greenway are an admission that the infrastructure isn't fit for purpose. I can see their point: they say greenways are a leisure amenity and cyclists with cleats shouldn't be on them.

Another reason I bring it up is because on heavily-used greenways, it's not easy (or appropriate) to try to travel quickly by bicycle, and I always avoid them as a transport link as a result. Again, it seems a shame to build dedicated cycle infrastructure that isn't usable for all cyclists.

Another reason I bring this up is because I've seen a recent trend towards some "greenways" where "segregated cycle routes" were previously planned. It seems convenient that councils can get 2-for-1 by simply fudging the purpose.

A final reason is because I can imagine legal issues at some point where a cyclist is going quickly and a pedestrian/jogger deviates from their path quickly, both get injured and both are partially at fault. There's no speed limit on a greenway, so it's a bit of a legal vacuum at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

serfboard wrote: »
    This is correct - it is along the N59 and it was done as part of the road upgrade. What they did here, as they have done in other parts of the country, is to re-use the old road as a cycleway.

I'm not sure if you want to be including this on your Greenway map or not, because it's not connected, or connectable, to other potential Greenways - to reach it by bike you would have to use quite a bit of regular road and it terminates close to no other potential Greenway site either.

It's near Derrylea Lough on the N59. Unfortunately, the Street View map is from 2009, so you can't see the finished product, but this shows the new road under construction, and the road marked as N59 on the Street View is where the cycleway is now.

You can't really see it too well from Google Satellite either, but Bing satellite has an excellent view of it.

488626.jpg

Updated with that greenway, thanks!

One reason I ask is that I've run into a bit of flack on another thread for suggesting that "cyclists dismount" signs on a greenway are an admission that the infrastructure isn't fit for purpose. I can see their point: they say greenways are a leisure amenity and cyclists with cleats shouldn't be on them.

Another reason I bring it up is because on heavily-used greenways, it's not easy (or appropriate) to try to travel quickly by bicycle, and I always avoid them as a transport link as a result. Again, it seems a shame to build dedicated cycle infrastructure that isn't usable for all cyclists.

Another reason I bring this up is because I've seen a recent trend towards some "greenways" where "segregated cycle routes" were previously planned. It seems convenient that councils can get 2-for-1 by simply fudging the purpose.

A final reason is because I can imagine legal issues at some point where a cyclist is going quickly and a pedestrian/jogger deviates from their path quickly, both get injured and both are partially at fault. There's no speed limit on a greenway, so it's a bit of a legal vacuum at present.

This is a particularly thorny issue, a few years ago the Belfast Bicycle Network Plan was launched to mixed response from cyclists, it did vastly improve a number of routes, but critically it failed to fully tackle the core corridors of the city, so for example there were routes that often wound their way around areas instead of taking the direct A to B road.

I think this is a partial distinction, in a major city/town there should be 'cycleways', I would consider those to be primarily for 'commuter traffic' and where they exist they should aim to take the most direct route from A-to-B, for example running the length of the Quays in Dublin without coming off to go up some side street or other, or running the full length of the Ormeau/Lisburn roads in Belfast from the city centre to the suburbs.

Rural/Rural to City greenways fall towards the other end of the spectrum, primarily having a tourist bent, 'commuter traffic' may exist, but the hours at which it occurs typically wouldn't match up with particularly busy tourist times.

City greenways definitely fall into a much greyer area, typically they traverse parks or river/canal walks, much higher interaction between commuters and 'tourist/recreational' use and the greatest risk of conflict.

With all these formats the real key to minimising conflict is the same as in any construction project, design out the potential for conflict, make the paths wide enough that cyclists and pedestrians can easily pass one another in both directions, in cities and anywhere the 'greenway' is more of a 'shared use cycleway' make sure that there is a clearly marked 'cycling' and 'walking' area. Clear signage in all areas alerting pedestrians and cyclists to each others presence and what section of the path they will be on. For the high density cycleways, clearly marked, separate from pedestrian walkways, separate from roadways.

I don't really have an answer for legality, I would assume in most ped/cyclist conflicts the cyclist would be expected to have responsibility as the one typically moving at greater velocity, this obviously depends on demarcation on mixed routes etc, we could assume the person at fault is whoever is in the incorrect section of the path, which if correctly designed, makes 'who is at fault' an issue in the minority of cases occurring in a fully mixed greenway scenario, at which point you likely have to drill down into the specific case.

In short, cycleways, city greenways, long distance greenways, the key issue is design, I think that councils/government should potentially be liable in the case of an accident on an improperly designed green/cycleway, while also being obliged to provide them.

The majority of the lycra brigade are probably still going to use the road (I've seen them using it instead of a very high quality cycleway that was directly adjacent to/and followed exactly the road) and that is entirely up to them, but if they do use a cycleway facility they should be observing the same rules as everyone else. A properly designed greenway shouldn't require a 'cyclists dismount' sign anywhere in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Both. If it's illegal to have fixed wheel track bikes, without brakes, on a public road it should be illegal to have cleats on a shared space greenway. Bells should be mandatory too IMO. Ding-Ding.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Both. If it's illegal to have fixed wheel track bikes, without brakes, on a public road it should be illegal to have cleats on a shared space greenway. Bells should be mandatory too IMO. Ding-Ding.

Bells are already mandatory. Not sure what your point is about cleats.

Long Post

I'd agree with pretty much all of what you're saying.

Sadly what I've been seeing a lot of is in the "grey" area you mention: unsegregated suburban greenways and meandering greenways. It seems to me as though perhaps the word "greenway" itself is not specific enough. Some of these vary between being transit routes and amenities depending on the time of day, like Blackrock/Passage in Cork. The lack of segregation there is not ideal.

Why should fixie's be illegal? Also, surely the fact that it's a fixie implies that it does not need hub or disc brakes? I don't have one and have never ridden one BTW, just curious.

No idea where you're coming from about cleats, I just think you're specifically wrong here. At the minimum I'd say there are a lot of types of cleat and if I was being stronger-worded about it, I'd say I've always felt more in control with cleats, whether MTB or road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Bells are already mandatory. Not sure what your point is about cleats.
    Having the ability to cycle very slowly safely should be a minimum expectation of any cyclist on a greenway. Cleats are designed to improve speed. Maybe regular gated chicanes might be a better idea on shared space greenways.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Having the ability to cycle very slowly safely should be a minimum expectation of any cyclist on a greenway. Cleats are designed to improve speed. Maybe regular gated chicanes might be a better idea on shared space greenways.

Are people using cleats unable to go slowly?

Gated chicanes basically rule out using bike trailers, cargo bikes and some wheelchairs, and are entirely the wrong thing to put anywhere. We should be removing the ones that do exist, because they're so exclusionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

Cyclists with cleats? :confused: That makes as much sense as 'cyclists with lycra'.. which suggests a certain kind of cyclist, but doesn't properly identify the thing that needs to be controlled or managed.

Bikes and pedestrians can be an issue on greenways, but I think the problems can be managed by setting clear expectations eg. cyclists giving way to pedestrians, but pedestrians allowing cyclists to pass by at a suitably low/walking speed. Speed limits etc.

And to be honest, in my experience using greenways here and abroad, it's often the casual cyclist who has just rented a bike who doesn't get the etiquette or have the handling skills.

the risks of mixing cyclists and pedestrians are exaggerated - talk of speed limits etc are overthinking it (who would enforce them?).

Pedestrians always have priority on shared paths, you can put signs up to emphasise this. "Sports" cyclists (i.e. people on road bikes in lycra) are generally going to avoid routes where they have to weave around lots of walkers anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

the risks of mixing cyclists and pedestrians are exaggerated - talk of speed limits etc are overthinking it (who would enforce them?).

Pedestrians always have priority on shared paths, you can put signs up to emphasise this. "Sports" cyclists (i.e. people on road bikes in lycra) are generally going to avoid routes where they have to weave around lots of walkers anyway.
    Exactly. There needs to be a common and shared understanding. None of it needs to be legally enforced, but it still needs to be made clear.

It's true that your typical group of "sports" cyclists aren't likely to use a greenway, but neither should a group of (say) three be "banned" from a greenway just because they are wearing lycra, or using cleats, so long as they are prepared to chill like everyone else using the facility.

Advertisement