Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindhunter [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Yet you thank a person dragging it up again......because they praised the acting :rolleyes:

Yep, because I enjoyed it and will watch the second series to see how the characters develop
    I think you mentioned once or twice you didn’t like the acting

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Yep, because I enjoyed it and will watch the second series to see how the characters develop
    I think you mentioned once or twice you didn’t like the acting

It's been mentioned numerous times too how the acting is intentionally as it is. If people keep claiming that, and keep saying others' claims are plain wrong, I'm entitled to reply.

If you don't want to see it dragged up again, have a go at the person dragging it up.

It's been mentioned numerous times too how the acting is intentionally as it is. If people keep claiming that, and keep saying others' claims are plain wrong, I'm entitled to reply.

If you don't want to see it dragged up again, have a go at the person dragging it up.

No point repeating yourself really

OmegaGene wrote: »
    No point repeating yourself really

Yet you'll thank people repeating themselves when it's a positive remark on the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Yet you'll thank people repeating themselves when it's a positive remark on the series.

were you not issued a warning by mods not to post in this thread again?

• Advertisement

jcd5971 wrote: »
    were you not issued a warning by mods not to post in this thread again?

You should be careful, back seat moderation is a violation of the rules.

Mod: Banned for 3 days.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Was I the source? :D

david fincher, and you :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think Holden was intended to be portrayed as kind of slightly emotionless and obsessive over his work. His facial features hardly ever change noticeably. Which some seem to think is "wooden" or "bad acting" but I think that's exactly how he's meant to be.

And as to his relationship - a good chunk of it revolved around their work. It's how they first met, talking about psychology. They could engage at an intellectual level (and obviously physical) but that emotional connect wasn't there, and I think that was purposefully reflected in their lack of chemistry. Holden himself isn't really capable of making that proper emotional connection with anyone it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I loved this show.

The girlfriend bit felt a bit tacked on, but other than that, I felt the acting was great. Both Holden & Tench were very good in their respective roles. It's obvious that Holden is deliberate acting in an emotionless way - if you've ever seen Jonathan Groff in a real life setting, he's very animated.

The guy playing Ed Kemper was brilliant. There's a video on youtube of him and the real life Ed played side by side, and with the audio played over each other. Very accurate portrayal in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I thought it was renewed before it had even aired

Mc Love wrote: »
    I thought it was renewed before it had even aired

It was yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Binged watched this over two days. Stayed up until 3am watching it. Really really loved it! Excellent directing and acting. So many thoughts on it.

Excellent cast, loved all the characters - perfectly suited to their roles.
    Lots of beautiful scenes and directing, the way the camera moves at certain times was a really cool touch.
    I also liked big text for the locations.
    Jonathan Groff (Holden) is a mix between the French President and Dennis from It's Always Sunny - I was expecting him to speak French at some stage!
    The comment here about Tench looking like Paidi O Se...hilarious and so true, haha!
    For all it's dark moments, I also laughed out loud at so many moments - little things, like when Holden is trying to contain his excitement when the boss gives them their own office (he keeps touching Tench's shoulder!) and when he reacts to Speck's bird (the little high pitched "oh" :D )
    I actuallly loved Holden and Debbie's relationship. Something felt very real and natural about their dynamic.
    It also didn't delve too much into the side stories and relationships - everything was nicely evened out and relatively fast paced. It always had my attention.

Maybe just me, but I found the last few episodes to be a bit all over the place, trying to fit too many stories into such a short amount of time. It was starting to lack a bit of focus. Not a major thing however, as I still loved it.

The ending
    really caught me off guard (no pun intended) with Holden and his panic attack. What was the signifigance of it? Was it just showing how dealing with all of these horrible, gruesome cases took it's toll on him? Or was there more to it than that? One crazy thought that went through my head was - imagine all of this f*cked up information messed with his head and eventually brought out some deviancy and craziness in him and he ended up being a killer...and the guy in the end with the moustache is actually Holden years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Christmas dinner -- California Medical Facility, Vacaville (Circa 1980)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Just finished watching this series- really enjoyed it as I’m a fan of the “real Crime Profile” podcast and it was interesting to see where profiling began. Did anyone else notice the sound on this series was fantastic - Like the background noise in the prison etc was very realistic.
    The constant smoking got on my nerves at the start but I suppose that’s what happened in the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im just watching this series now, on episode 5 at the moment and must say for a tv series they have some excellent production values. there is one scene in a car park, about 30 seconds and not particularly significant and the car park is full of about 30 or 40 vehicles from the 70's. i must say i appreciate when they put effort into something which is at most a detail in the overall show.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I've been looking forward to season 2, checking the new Netflix releases each month. This article, https://www.inverse.com/article/52568-mindhunter-season-2-release-date-netflix-joe-penhall-interview?refresh=12, puts it around May 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Damn! I was expecting it much earlier. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Charlize Theron who is a producer on the show say season 2 will be out in August.

Charlize Theron reveals an August 2019 release date for #Mindhunter Season 2 on SiriusXM's “Howard Stern Show" on Monday, April 29th.

https://twitter.com/MindhunterNews/status/1123254814996144128

Charlize Theron who is a producer on the show say season 2 will be out in August.

Long wait looking forward to it though I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

First images from Season 2:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3573262/first-images-second-season-netflixs-mindhunter-show-charles-manson-son-sam/

Not familiar too familiar with the case it follows in Season 2, but it sounds horrific!

Great show and really looking forward to it.

Two different killers one on the West Coast and the other on the East Coast and close to a decade between them.

Cramping a lot into one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Didn't they tease
    BTK
    throughout the first season 2? Hopefully there will be more on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Didn't they tease
    BTK
    throughout the first season 2? Hopefully there will be more on that

Ultimately I think the premise of the show is BTK is going to be the one that gets away. They have all the information but just can't connect the dots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

Thought BTK was to be the storyline in Season 3?

Manson was convicted in the early 70’s and the Atlanta child murders were much later. Maybe it’s a case of them consulting Manson instead of it being about these two time lines.

season 1 of this was actual good tv.

one of the very few shows that I'm actually looking fwd to in the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Full trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks solid!

Advertisement