Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

There is a lot of potential in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Jesus some clown on from Shinawil Productions productions saying that without an increase in the RTE license fee we might lose shows like Dancing with the "Stars".
    Not my cup of tea, I get however that it's a popular show. You'd think it'd be able to cover its own costs with advertising.

Whatever, that only brought my blood to a low simmer, what tipped me was when he said that people died in 1916 for stuff like this. He seems to think Patrick Pearse died so some wannabe nobody can prance around pretending to be a "star".

Cuddihy gave him a soft interview overall (no mention of the guys conflict of interest, no mention of the crazy salaries paid in RTE, etc) but at least pulled him up this nonsense, there was a bit of backtracking, "oh it's about saving Irish culture, seeing Irish people on TV".

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭flos1964

Jesus Christ heard that guy....strong contender for Irelands greatest chancer thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Jesus some clown on from Shinawil Productions productions saying that without an increase in the RTE license fee we might lose shows like Dancing with the "Stars".
    Not my cup of tea, I get however that it's a popular show. You'd think it'd be able to cover its own costs with advertising.

Whatever, that only brought my blood to a low simmer, what tipped me was when he said that people died in 1916 for stuff like this. He seems to think Patrick Pearse died so some wannabe nobody can prance around pretending to be a "star".

Cuddihy gave him a soft interview overall (no mention of the guys conflict of interest, no mention of the crazy salaries paid in RTE, etc) but at least pulled him up this nonsense, there was a bit of backtracking, "oh it's about saving Irish culture, seeing Irish people on TV".

Yeah heard that. Larry Bass is his name. Saying people died so that we could have institutions like RTE. Shameful stuff. It's an insight in to the mindset within RTE and those that benefit from its largesse such as Larry. Overall it was a very soft interview which is always the case when so called rival stations cover this license issue. Partly because they want a slice of licence fee pie themselves and partly because the interviewer hopes to get their snout in the RTE trough at some stage themselves.
    The small media community in Ireland won't ever criticise the licence fee too much as they hope to benefit from it one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

"It should be possible to have a discussion on migration without being called a racist".

Ridiculous coming from the man who's first instinct is to childishly call everybody a racist. All the people in Roosky were racist according to him. And you might remember that he program had to apologise for calling somebody a racist only a couple of months ago. He must get his education about politics from Maeve Higgins. A figure of 21% was given for the amount of non nationals on the housing list, but he didn't respond to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

"It should be possible to have a discussion on migration without being called a racist".

Ridiculous coming from the man who's first instinct is to childishly call everybody a racist. All the people in Roosky were racist according to him. And you might remember that he program had to apologise for calling somebody a racist only a couple of months ago. He must get his education about politics from Maeve Higgins. A figure of 21% was given for the amount of non nationals on the housing list, but he didn't respond to that.

I had to switch this off in the end.

For all the harping on he did about having an open discussion, I don't think Peader Toibin was let finish a single sentence without interruption or being cut off.

Some discussion!

Cuddihy:

"There is no problem with having a discussion on immigration but there is no need for one"

"Don't call anyone a racists or bigot just because they say they want to discuss immigration. Have that debate with them and then you can probably call them a racists, xenohpobes or bigots"

"We already have immigration controls. You can't just hop on a plane anywhere in the world and come to Ireland"
    (Has he seen our asylum seeker stats for the past 15 years!)

Loads of stats thrown out by him and Coleman and the general line was that non-nationals contribute more than the average Irish person...there's less of them on the dole, less of them in social housing etc etc.
    Well of course that's true when they make up 20% or so of the population. But if you were to look at that on a pro-rata basis, or allow for the age discrepancies (migrants are usually of working age), then you have a different picture.

But the 2 boys this morning were on their high horse and were riding it for all it was worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah heard that. Larry Bass is his name. Saying people died so that we could have institutions like RTE. Shameful stuff. It's an insight in to the mindset within RTE and those that benefit from its largesse such as Larry. Overall it was a very soft interview which is always the case when so called rival stations cover this licence issue. Partly because they want a slice of licence fee pie themselves and partly because the interviewer hopes to get their snout in the RTE trough at some stage in their career. It's a career goal for most of them.
    The small media community in Ireland won't ever criticise the licence fee too much as they hope to benefit from it one way or another.

Not a common name "bass" but typically it is a popular name in the credits of rte shows

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭flos1964

But that is the thing...what ever side you are on, these "debates" are all ways one sided ...2, 3 ,4 against 1....how can that be right?...and this one being immigration...cant you just imagine the stains on the front of the 2 boys pants at the thought of the upcoming "debate"...odious people ...odious station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It's actually worse this show is getting. The two lads shoving their opinions down listeners throats.its mad and getting harder and harder to listen to

Add in to that there is at least one zany/ dumb topic every morning that is just painful.

Every item gets a "huge response" apparently, with next to no engagement on Twitter or their social channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

jay0109 wrote: »
    Cuddihy:

"There is no problem with having a discussion on immigration but there is no need for one"

"Don't call anyone a racists or bigot just because they say they want to discuss immigration. Have that debate with them and then you can probably call them a racists, xenohpobes or bigots"

"We already have immigration controls. You can't just hop on a plane anywhere in the world and come to Ireland"

Loads of stats thrown out by him and Coleman and the general line was that non-nationals contribute more than the average Irish person...there's less of them on the dole, less of them in social housing etc etc.
    Well of course that's true when they make up 20% or so of the population. But if you were to look at that on a pro-rata basis, or allow for the age discrepancies (migrants are usually of working age), then you have a different picture.

But the 2 boys this morning were on their high horse and were riding it for all it was worth.

Cuddihy read out the exact same text in the space of thirty minutes and of course it was from a listener who was in agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Cuddihy:

it is on a pro-rata basis.
    non-nationals in the country are more likely to be working and paying tax than Irish nationals. this is pretty well documented. they're more educated too. that must really annoy you.
    Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 06:45 AM

Migrants to Ireland are more likely to have a third-level education and to be in work than Irish workers, a new report shows. However they are also more likely to suffer poverty.

The analysis by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) shows employment rates at 70% for foreigners compared to 66% for Irish nationals.

However, within the migrant population there are wide disparities, with Africans experiencing low employment rates of 45%.

Almost all non-Irish groups have higher education levels than the Irish as a whole. Top place goes to western European nationals (excluding the UK), 74% of whom have a third level qualification.

Eastern Europeans are the least likely to have further education — just 35% have been to third level. However, that is only marginally below the Irish rate of 37%.

The research, the latest for a series of Integration Monitoring Reports, was carried out to examine how well migrants are settling into Ireland, which now has one of the most diverse populations in the EU, with 17% of people living here having been born abroad.

it is on a pro-rata basis.
    non-nationals in the country are more likely to be working and paying tax than Irish nationals. this is pretty well documented. they're more educated too. that must really annoy you.

Nope, doesn't annoy me at all. Just don't like propaganda shoved down my throat.
    Perhaps you do as it suits your world view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Nope, doesn't annoy me at all. Just don't like propaganda shoved down my throat.
    Perhaps you do as it suits your world view.
    probably as much as you don't like facts when they don't support your views.

probably as much as you don't like facts when they don't support your views.

Your right. Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Did they chat about the masters yet? There's normally a retired Irish golfer who tips someone for the masters and he's tipped a few long odd ones like Tony finau and Danny willett (year he won it at 66/1). Wouldn't mind knowing who he tips this morning!

Did they chat about the masters yet? There's normally a retired Irish golfer who tips someone for the masters and he's tipped a few long odd ones like Tony finau and Danny willett (year he won it at 66/1). Wouldn't mind knowing who he tips this morning!

The long(ish) shot this morning was Brooks Koepka, 35/1 on Betfair, 22/1 on Paddy Power

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

The long(ish) shot this morning was Brooks Koepka, 35/1 on Betfair, 22/1 on Paddy Power

Great thanks!

Great thanks!

Jaysus, he's having a great first day, joint leader, into 5/1 already. Can he keep it up though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It's fair to say that it was a bit more interesting with Paul Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, it's awful now. Cuddihy is terrible altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It's fair to say that it was a bit more interesting with Paul Williams.

Ah here, Williams was dire, constant crankiness and snide remarks, completely out of his depth.
    Whats irritating is the constant looking for texts after almost every item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Ah here, Williams was dire, constant crankiness and snide remarks, completely out of his depth.

The content is gone to complete crap. It's like a cross between the daily mail and VIP magazine. The two lads and their numerous side kicks are utterly woeful and the constant nonsense about English soccer does my head in. I thought it couldn't getworse with Williams gone but it is worse.

These stupid topics they do every morning about random sh!ye looking for texts Nd tweets are just sad. For a newstalk station, it's sad to see this show turn into utter tabloid muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I never said he was good. I'm just saying it was interesting - it was rarely dull!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

tototoe wrote: »
    The content is gone to complete crap. It's like a cross between the daily mail and VIP magazine. The two lads and their numerous side kicks are utterly woeful and the constant nonsense about English soccer does my head in. I thought it couldn't getworse with Williams gone but it is worse.

These stupid topics they do every morning about random sh!ye looking for texts Nd tweets are just sad. For a newstalk station, it's sad to see this show turn into utter tabloid muck.

Don’t forget “Quinny” bluffing and spluttering his way through all non-Rugby sports in the sports segment; actually you could make that all non-Munster Rugby related sports news in general. Unintentional comedy on an almost daily basis with him.

Ciaran Cuddihy on The Tonight Show instead of Ivan Yates tonight, he’s an absolute tool , very bland. Give me Ivan Yates or George Hook anyday !!
    (Please dont mention Paul Williams) !

Ciaran Cuddihy on The Tonight Show instead of Ivan Yates tonight, he’s an absolute tool , very bland. Give me Ivan Yates or George Hook anyday !!
    (Please dont mention Paul Williams) !

He was exactly as I imagined he would be after hearing him on radio the past year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

It must be a struggle this time of year to find anything to talk about. So, when Morning Ireland started on about seagulls today, I switched over and caught a very good intro on the public/private funded schools debate. It can be so frustrating at times, to hear a debate on some important subject where the panel/interviewees/ers just skate off on some ridiculous tangent, the two of them got to the core of this issue in about two minutes flat. It was such a concise and all encompassing summary that the UK based commentator for the next item, had to commend them for it, before starting on his own contribution about Brexit. I think they are streets ahead of Morning Ireland. I also like the way they skewer some of the texts that people send in. eg on this topic the contributor who said their parents "remortgaged their house every year" to pay their school fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

plodder wrote: »
    It must be a struggle this time of year to find anything to talk about. So, when Morning Ireland started on about seagulls today, I switched over and caught a very good intro on the public/private funded schools debate. It can be so frustrating at times, to hear a debate on some important subject where the panel/interviewees/ers just skate off on some ridiculous tangent, the two of them got to the core of this issue in about two minutes flat. It was such a concise and all encompassing summary that the UK based commentator for the next item, had to commend them for it, before starting on his own contribution about Brexit. I think they are streets ahead of Morning Ireland.

I was listening to a podcast before 8, then switched to Newstalk after it finished to hear Shane Coleman say that “after the break we’ll be discussing the winners and loser of Love Island” (or something like that). Back to podcast.

Seriously, Love Island on a supposedly serious news radio program?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

I was listening to a podcast before 8, then switched to Newstalk after it finished to hear Shane Coleman say that “after the break we’ll be discussing the winners and loser of Love Island” (or something like that). Back to podcast.

Seriously, Love Island on a supposedly serious news radio program?
    I was only talking to someone last night, who I thought would be the last person to get sucked into the Love Island phenomenon, and they tried to explain it to me. I don't get it myself, but my own family were into it big time, in a way that never happened with the likes of "Big Brother". So, I'll stick my neck out and say, it's more worthy of a few minutes than a recycled piece on seagulls. I'd be surprised if it didn't come up on Morning Ireland too though in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement