Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Christy42 wrote: »
    Will they really miss out? I mean by not playing they are probably extending their career by a year (as long as they don't do it too often) and if nothing else the salary cap will go up.

But there is no point sitting out if they don’t accrue the year they would just be kicking the issue down the road and forgoing salary in their prime. It was different for Bell who was on the tag.

Very few teams are paying RB’s. Gurley, Bell, Johnson all have big contracts, I can’t think of too many others. And Gase came out and basically admitted that if he was in charge at the time Bell would not have gotten that contract. It’s an undervalued position because you can find serviceable guys in the middle rounds and FA for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

But there is no point sitting out if they don’t accrue the year they would just be kicking the issue down the road and forgoing salary in their prime. It was different for Bell who was on the tag.

That’s the whole gamble and it depends on how the likes of Zeke value themselves and how the assess the leverage they have over their team. Risking missing out on accruing a year on a rookie deal doesn’t matter if the team is forced into a position where they have to give them a long-term deal now.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That’s the whole gamble and it depends on how the likes of Zeke value themselves and how the assess the leverage they have over their team. Risking missing out on accruing a year on a rookie deal doesn’t matter if the team is forced into a position where they have to give them a long-term deal now.

Oh yeah of course, if the team caves then that’s great for the player. Unlikely though, in Gordon’s case at least. They have some big guys to lock up in the coming years and I’m not sure if Gordon is a big priority for them.

I could see the cowboys maybe paying Elliot but probably not until next off season.

Oh yeah of course, if the team caves then that’s great for the player. Unlikely though, in Gordon’s case at least. They have some big guys to lock up in the coming years and I’m not sure if Gordon is a big priority for them.

I could see the cowboys maybe paying Elliot but probably not until next off season.

That’s why agents will have to be careful about picking their battles and timing when a player holds out.

Gordon is an interesting one as they do have guys that’ll be looking for money soon but their window with Rivers is coming to an end (if it hasn’t already) and Gordon will be asked to continue or even grow as contributor this coming season if they are to be successful. From his perspective I can see why he would hold out now as he is looking down the barrel of being tagged at least for the following season, which would put him at 28 getting to FA. He likely isn’t a priority now but may become one if he sits out and they start losing some games. They could even be out of it by the time he’d have to show to accrue a season.

Fair point, that’s his plan most likely. He is a serious talent and I hope he gets what he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

From hero to zero. Until March this year Alex Collins was the starting running back for the Ravens.

Hell he even got a little celebrity attention for his Irish dancing celebrations and he visited a dance school in Dublin. All around good guy and a fan favorite

In March he was stoned and crashed his car into a tree and fell asleep after the crash. This was a mile from the practice facility. A passerby called it in and police found marijuana and a handgun. That is not so serious, just misdemeanors in Maryland.

He admits to having more guns and drugs at his home, dumbest criminal ever. :rolleyes: Police got a search warrant and sure enough found two rifles and more drugs. Multiple felony charges now

The Ravens swift cut him

Now he has broken his leg and undergone surgery

He will never be seen in the league again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No idea how Hill got away without a suspension.They have him on tape threatening his girlfriend like. Insane.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1152216611820118017

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Guffy

Fúcking disgrace from nfl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

It'll be a bigger disgrace and embarrassment for the NFL when Hill beats the crap out of his GF or kid again sometime in the future because we know that its inevitable, a leopard cheetah never changes his spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm speechless, in shock. I just, well can we sack everybody involved in this decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just seen this pop up on my twitter. Apparently Smith was suspended 4 games last season for 'threatening and emotionally abusive behaviors'

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1032025013065379840

They might not have the required proof to issue a suspension over the child abuse allegations, but they have Hill on tape saying "You need to be terrified of me too, b*tch" to his girlfriend. How the hell is that not threatening behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did I read it or imagine it but did his girlfriend refuse to speak to investigators ? The NFL can't seem to get consistency in anything it seems. They have all these rules both on the field and off that players have to follow, but it seems when it comes to the application of these rules they have all the consistency of someone who has diarrhoea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The NFL can't seem to get consistency in anything it seems.
    I've given up on trying to understand their methods, their disciplinary process is such a mess at times. Because Goodell applies the personal conduct policy as he sees fit with his own discretion, there's too much leeway depending on which side of the bed he gets out of. Which is why he suspension Rice for two games, and then which the video evidence is released for all to see, he's suspended indefinitely.
    Something tells me that we'll be revisiting Hill at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

The latest OBJ comments are no doubt gonna stir things up among Giants fans such as myself.

I get he feels disrespected (if everything hes saying is true) but I think he and the Browns (Mayfield also making comments recently) would be much better served keeping their heads down and playing football.

The opinion was that OBJ was seen as a distraction (an opinion I'm not certain I agree with) and if he keeps this up it has to be somewhat distracting to his current team that he keeps talking about his former one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Love him as a player, but hard to deny that he's a bit of a dope at times.

Still, the talent and work ethic he has is insane.

Knex. wrote: »
    Love him as a player, but hard to deny that he's a bit of a dope at times.

Still, the talent and work ethic he has is insane.

Yeah he'd genuinely serve himself better just not coming out with some of the stuff though or he'll end up with just the complete diva tag like AB has now.

Wish more star receivers or running backs could be like Jones and Hopkins, don't say much or demand attention then just absolutely ball out on the field.

Yeah he'd genuinely serve himself better just not coming out with some of the stuff though or he'll end up with just the complete diva tag like AB has now.

Wish more star receivers or running backs could be like Jones and Hopkins, don't say much or demand attention then just absolutely ball out on the field.

Easy to say that when neither have been treated like OBJ was.

Jones has complained plenty about his contract and has had the luxury of a boarderline top tier QB and some great offensive coaching, at times.

I agree that Hopkins is very quiet in the media but at the same time is probably one of the most underrated players when it comes to casual fans as a result, which I'm sure hits his earnings.

OBJ gets under certain people's skin, especially certain Giants fans and media, to the point where he could now refuse to answer questions about the Giants and they'd still rant about it.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Easy to say that when neither have been treated like OBJ was.

Jones has complained plenty about his contract and has had the luxury of a boarderline top tier QB and some great offensive coaching, at times.

I agree that Hopkins is very quiet in the media but at the same time is probably one of the most underrated players when it comes to casual fans as a result, which I'm sure hits his earnings.

OBJ gets under certain people's skin, especially certain Giants fans and media, to the point where he could now refuse to answer questions about the Giants and they'd still rant about it.

Oh yeah let alone treatment, neither have had the media worldwide or NY media to deal with like OBJ. But the point about not answering questions, he'd be far better off not answering them, giants fans might get pissed but would serve him better in Cleveland and hopefully won't draw even more attention to him and the Browns.

As a Giant's fan the only thing that ever got under my skin was the Lil Wayne interview, just such a stupid move to make mid season especially, the boat party was another one but if he had a brilliant game against GB it wouldn't have got the attention it did, was just something for people to point fingers at after a big disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

I doubt the diva tag will hurt his earnings. However I am surprised he didn't simply thank the Giants for his trade. His numbers would not have gotten better with either a qb not throwing beyond the line of scrimmage or a very mediocre rookie qb next season.

I guess he might have gotten some good qb throws our of it. His pass to Saquon was pretty sweet. I guess he loses out on the NY on the advertising market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

NFL Network with some groundbreaking journalism here

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1154079339371122688

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans LT Taylor Lewan is getting a 4 game ban for PEDs

The usual of it was in a supplement and i didnt know etc etc

Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Titans LT Taylor Lewan is getting a 4 game ban for PEDs

The usual of it was in a supplement and i didnt know etc etc

Idiot.

He said it before the league which was odd though

According to Jane slater of NFL network zeke Elliot was not on the plane with the cowboys to California to start training camp. It should be noted that in the past players have joined up with the team in California so zeke has until tomorrow morning California time to show up. If he doesn't then that'll be two RB who will be holding out( the other is Melvin Gordon for the LA chargers) but honestly he's two years left on his contract and he's not been a model member of the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

What are cowboys fans thoughts on this? Haven’t been keep up to date with the NFL last month or so been too busy but I assume one of Dak & Zeke is gonna get paid? Which one is the question. Garrett only has 1 year left on his deal too I believe, wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 were elsewhere on 12 months but my gut feeling is Dak will get 75%-80% of what he’s looking for & will stay.

Eli on OBJ's comments that he was reason why Giants were in prime time often: "I don't think they bothered me. You just kind of shake your head and laugh. ... I won a few games before he was here."

Oh snap.

Looks like Zeke is holding out in Dallas as according to Jane Slater he was not present at the morning conditioning tests. I mean taking the fact I'm an Eagles fan out of it, as I said he's at least behind Dak and Amari Cooper timewise to get a deal(which I'm sure he will get), and unlike Dak and Amari Cooper he's had some extra curricular activities that have got him in front of the principal more than once, so maybe the Cowboys are waiting to see if that stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Advertisement

We will find out on hard knocks but I don't know but it's just typical raiders.

Advertisement