Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

He was not the same QB in Nov-Dec, he looked really uncomfortable at times particularly on deep throws and iirc virtually all his stats dropped off vs earlier in the season when he was excellent.

I think you also need to take into account of the quality of defences he faced. Using the Dallas game as his 'drop-off', because the week before he threw for 4 touchdowns against Atlanta. Over the next four games he faces the 7th, 27th, 15th and 6th best defences (in terms of yards allowed). That's three defences in the top sixteen in terms of yards allowed in only four games. He faced 2 of the top 16 defences in the first 11 games of the season and had yards per attempt of 7.1 and 5.2, two of the three lowest levels he had over that span.

So yes he didn't perform as well as he did at the start of the regular season but he was playing better defences (at least in terms of yards allowed) towards the end.

Ranking of Defence|Yards Per Attempt|Completion Percentage
    Top 16|6.37|69.7%
    Bottom 16|8.99|76.6%

Ranking of Defence|Yards Per Attempt|Completion Percentage
    Top 20|7.71|72.3%
    Bottom 12|8.53|76.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

He was not the same QB in Nov-Dec, he looked really uncomfortable at times particularly on deep throws and iirc virtually all his stats dropped off vs earlier in the season when he was excellent.

Also likely regression to the mean as well as better defenses. Simply put he may have just had his better games towards the start of the season. I see no reason to be worried about him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Perhaps that’s all it is. If he can get anywhere near his best in 2019 the saints will be a hard team to stop. Very strong all over the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

American Football - the sport that has stats to back up whatever side of the argument you want to make

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Guffy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    American Football - the sport that has stats to back up whatever side of the argument you want to make

Depends on the sample size you are willing to entertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

Indeed. I think in this case it is more a lack of information. Maybe he is regressing and it has been slow enough to not be completely obvious yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

I mean to be fair here stats or no stats hes also a 40 years and 7 months old man playing a highly athletic professional sport. He'll be turning 41 before the next Superbowl. If his performance hasn't already started dropping off (with the stats in favour or against above) its definitely going to happen very much sooner rather than later.

With the talent around him on the Saints offense I'd imagine unless he really goes off a cliff this year they should get this season out of him at least, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I wouldn’t necessarily worrying about brees. They have a good OL and Thomas doesn’t exactly burn defenses down the field. Brees doesn’t need loads of time to find Thomas.

Also I don’t necessarily buy this “it’ll be so hard to get over such a bad call” idea

I’d be more worried that they have to get out of their division first and the face a serious NFC team in the playoffs.

I think they have seriously downgraded going from Ingram to Murray. I would be more worried about their run game and then brees having to shoulder the load more than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was looking at the first five weeks of the regular season last night and I noticed that the browns have two prime time games in the first five weeks. They play the jets and the 49ers on MNF. I mean I understand why this is happening as there is a lot of buzz around the team for the first time in literally decades, and OBJ coming in and all that. My worry is what record do they need to have by week 5 to stop the pre game build up on ESPN before the niners game being "the browns are not living up to the hype" ? I doubt they'll go 4-0 to start the season, so is it a case of regardless of how well they might do they can't live up to the hype ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Brees the highest QB in the Top 100 Players, number 2 overall. Mahomes at 4 and Brady at 6. Aaron Donald of the Rams is number 1.

Some people dismiss the Top 100 list but I put a lot of merit in it as it is voted by the players themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brees the highest QB in the Top 100 Players, number 2 overall. Mahomes at 4 and Brady at 6. Aaron Donald of the Rams is number 1.
    Some people dismiss the Top 100 list but I put a lot of merit in it as it is voted by the players themselves.
    What is it based off? Last year's regular season only?
    If it includes the playoffs then surely Brady should be the top QB. If it's including the last five seasons then Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Drew Brees should be the top three QB's.
    Imo QB is the most critical position right now so the best ones should be filling the top spots.
    Aaron Donald is a great player but he didn't win his team a Superbowl.

It's just based on who the players think is the current best players in the NFL, I don't think they have any specific selection criteria. Each player probably bases it on their own criteria.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was looking at the first five weeks of the regular season last night and I noticed that the browns have two prime time games in the first five weeks. They play the jets and the 49ers on MNF. I mean I understand why this is happening as there is a lot of buzz around the team for the first time in literally decades, and OBJ coming in and all that. My worry is what record do they need to have by week 5 to stop the pre game build up on ESPN before the niners game being "the browns are not living up to the hype" ? I doubt they'll go 4-0 to start the season, so is it a case of regardless of how well they might do they can't live up to the hype ?

I can see them being 2-2 going in to that 49ers game as I think the Rams and one of the Titans or Ravens will beat them.

Do people think all of this hype is justified? They are a 10-6 team at best imo. They seem to be pinning a lot of hope on OBJ who hasn’t had a 16 game season in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Guffy

I can see them being 2-2 going in to that 49ers game as I think the Rams and one of the Titans or Ravens will beat them.

Do people think all of this hype is justified? They are a 10-6 team at best imo. They seem to be pinning a lot of hope on OBJ who hasn’t had a 16 game season in a while.

Its not just obj tbf. Its a full season of Baker and Chubb, it's an ever improving defensive squad, the ability that Kitchens showed in making subtle changes to the offensive playbook last year, the difference that made and the hope that a full off season to implement his changes will further improve the team. The turn around in the team from 0-16 and 1-15 to what it is now.

But then, ya know, there is also OBJ and the receiving talent we have behind him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I couldn't put any merit in a list that didn't have Chandler Jones ranked in the top 100 players of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

2019 Rank Player Position Team Last Year's Rank
    1 Aaron Donald DT Rams 7
    2 Drew Brees QB Saints 8
    3 Khalil Mack LB Bears 16
    4 Pat Mahomes QB Chiefs
    5 Todd Gurley RB Rams 6
    6 Tom Brady QB Patriots 1
    7 Antonio Brown WR Raiders 2
    8 Aaron Rodgers QB Packers 10
    9 Julio Jones WR Falcons 4
    10 Von Miller LB Broncos 9
    11 Deandre Hopkins WR Texans 13
    12 JJ Watt DE Texans 84
    13 Michael Thomas WR Saints 81
    14 Alvin Kamara RB Saints 20
    15 Bobby Wagner LB Seahawks 21
    16 Saquon Barkley RB Giants
    17 Philip Rivers QB Chargers 56
    18 Ezekiel Elliott RB Cowboys 54
    19 Tyreek Hill WR Chiefs 40
    20 Andrew Luck QB Colts
    21 Travis Kelce TE Chiefs 24
    22 Stephon Gilmore CB Patriots
    23 Odell Beckham Jr. WR Browns 77
    24 Luke Kuechly LB Panthers 12
    25 Russell Wilson QB Seahawks 11
    26 Darius Leonard LB Colts
    27 Jalen Ramsey CB Jaguars 17
    28 Fletcher Cox DT Eagles 69
    29 George Kittle TE 49ers
    30 Eddie Jackson S Bears
    31 Derwin James S Chargers
    32 Jared Goff QB Rams 38
    33 Adam Thielen WR Vikings 36
    34 Melvin Gordon RB Chargers
    35 Davante Adams WR Packers 45
    36 Chris Jones DE Chiefs
    37 Jamal Adams S Jets 100
    38 Keenan Allen WR Chargers 41
    39 Akiem Hicks DT Bears
    40 Zach Ertz TE Eagles 68
    41 Cameron Jordan DE Saints 26
    42 Christian McCaffrey RB Panthers
    43 David Bakhtiari T Packers 91
    44 Ben Roethlisberger QB Steelers 18
    45 Demarcus Lawrence DE Cowboys 34
    46 Patrick Peterson CB Cardinals 23
    47 JuJu Smith-Schuster WR Steelers
    48 Melvin Ingram DE Chargers 76
    49 Myles Garrett DE Browns
    50 Baker Mayfield QB Browns
    51 Deshaun Watson QB Texans 50
    52 Tyron Smith T Cowboys 39
    53 Mike Evans WR Buccaneers
    54 Calais Campbell DE Jaguars 14
    55 Xavien Howard CB Dolphins
    56 Joey Bosa DE Chargers 37
    57 Danielle Hunter DE Vikings
    58 AJ Green WR Bengals 22
    59 Zack Martin G Cowboys 71
    60 Larry Fitzgerald WR Cardinals 27
    61 Jaylon Smith LB Cowboys
    62 James Conner RB Steelers
    63 Jadeveon Clowney DE Texans 32
    64 Amari Cooper WR Cowboys
    65 Jason Pierre-Paul DE Buccaneers
    66 Eric Ebron TE Colts
    67 Dee Ford LB 49ers
    68 Phillip Lindsay RB Broncos
    69 Matt Ryan QB Falcons 29
    70 T.Y. Hilton WR Colts
    71 C.J. Mosley LB Jets 98
    72 Jason Kelce C Eagles
    73 Stefon Diggs WR Vikings 65
    74 Leighton Vander-Esch LB Cowboys
    75 Gerald McCoy DT Buccaneers
    76 Robert Woods WR Rams
    77 Taylor Lewan T Titans 78
    78 Kirk Cousins QB Vikings 94
    79 Geno Atkins DT Bengals 63
    80 Mark Ingram RB Ravens 43
    81 Trent Williams T Redskins 57
    82 Bradley Chubb LB Broncos
    83 Harrison Smith S Vikings 46
    84 Jarvis Landry WR Browns 52
    85 Frank Clark DE Seahawks
    86 Darius Slay CB Lions 49
    87 Cam Newton QB Panthers 25
    88 Cameron Heyward DT Steelers 48
    89 Devin McCourty S Patriots
    90 Julian Edelman WR Patriots
    91 Andrew Whitworth T Rams 87
    92 Jurrell Casey DT Titans 66
    93 TJ Watt LB Steelers
    94 Mitchell Schwartz T Chiefs
    95 Kyle Fuller CB Bears
    96 Carson Wentz QB Eagles 3
    97 Byron Jones CB Cowboys
    98 Tyler Lockett WR Seahawks
    99 Derrick Henry RB Titans
    100 Eric Weddle S Rams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

When the Cowboys (8) have the double the number of players in the Top 100 as the Super Bowl champions, the Vikings (5) have one more and the Browns have an equal amount (4), its probably not the most accurate list.

Not to mention the Chargers having 6 after getting destroyed by the Patriots in the playoffs, you definitely need to take it with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

One Redskin on the list and he’s holding out. Gonna be a long year.........

Guffy wrote: »
    Its not just obj tbf. Its a full season of Baker and Chubb, it's an ever improving defensive squad, the ability that Kitchens showed in making subtle changes to the offensive playbook last year, the difference that made and the hope that a full off season to implement his changes will further improve the team. The turn around in the team from 0-16 and 1-15 to what it is now.

But then, ya know, there is also OBJ and the receiving talent we have behind him too.

Oh yeah I understand it’s not just OBJ, he’s not even the most important player imo. Garrett is a monster and Mayfield, Chubb, Landry and Ward all look like first rate talents.

The defensive line looks good but are they good enough behind that at lb and safety to stop the best teams? Is the O-Line good enough over a full season to keep Mayfield upright with Zeitler gone and a journeyman with a history of discipline issues at left tackle? An injury or two in that area would be very difficult to overcome imo.

There is no doubting the talent is there in certain positions but we’d need to see them beat a few contenders and make the playoffs before getting too carried away is all I’m saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any idea why the new Sky Sports package saying that you can get "everything on one package" has NFL excluded? NBA, NHL, MLB all get name checked, even Canadian Football League gets a mention.

Something happening with the rights this year?

https://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sports-extra?DCMP=emc-ROI:na_sports_extra

• Advertisement

Any idea why the new Sky Sports package saying that you can get "everything on one package" has NFL excluded? NBA, NHL, MLB all get name checked, even Canadian Football League gets a mention.

Something happening with the rights this year?

https://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sports-extra?DCMP=emc-ROI:na_sports_extra

I'd say its just an oversight. From memory, I think there's one year left on their current deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,860 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Sky definitely have coverage. Showing a number of pre season games and Hard Knocks next Thursday at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://operations.nfl.com/media/3831/2019-playing-rules.pdf

2019 NFL rule book updated with the new PI rule changes and other changes.

Anbody else watching the Hall of Fame game?

I'm really excited football season is back, I'm also really tired and will probably be asleep by the end of the 1st quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Denver with the TD! I can smell the super bowl! (so can the fans of 31 other teams though, that's what makes American football great) bed awaits!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah seen that in the Redskins thread.

He has every right to feel aggrieved and want out. I'm sure that somewhere in his contract that there is the opportunity to walk over something that serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Just to confirm that Sky are showing the following pre-season games live:

Friday 16th August: Oakland Raiders @ Arizona Cardinals - 1am

Monday 19th August: Seattle Seahawks @ Minnesota Vikings - 1am

Saturday 24th August: Buffalo Bills @ Detroit Lions - 1am

Monday 26th August: Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tennessee Titans - 1am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I know it's just the preseason, but that's a pretty uninspiring slate of games.

Besides getting to see Kyler Murray, I don't really see anything else of interest.

Advertisement