Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ambassador to the States acts the clown!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

MkSavage wrote: »
    Hmm well Jews are very sensitive to even the mildest banter. So don't talk **** to others when you can't handle it yourself.
    And yet the Jews acted like it was another holocaust when Kevin Myers made a joke about them.
    The problem is, if you called Krugman a shylock, you'd be in big trouble.

Jews can't handle banter.
    It's the problem of Jews in general.

Is there something you want to tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

We could adopt "Shylock economics" but only american obesity could support such an economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's the problem of Jews in general.

To be fair, and you're probably a bit ignorant about this, the shylock thing is to do with 100s of years of Europeans being sh1tty to Jews and those occupations were the few ones open to them.

You could hardly say Irish people were persecuted in the same way, esp when many of them have no problem donning a big foam leprechaun hat of a normal Paddys Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Meh, Krugman has been needling us for a long time.

Pretty much had us written off as a first world nation ten years ago when the world economy hit the skids. I mean it was bad all around but it was almost like he expected Ireland to be thrown back to the days of horse and cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well, this is awkward… :pac:

One of the biggest personalities on YouTube, Irish btw -

Jacksepticeye Launches Top Of The Mornin Coffee Company

It’s been his intro for years.

This seems very aunt jemima in terms of cashing in on popular stereotypes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Adelman of Beamfleot

"We need to talk about Paul Krugman"

"Why Paul Krugman is problematic"

"If you don't have a problem with Paul Krugman then you're part of the problem"

Just thinking about the titles of my upcoming blog posts where i shriek about how outraged I am about all this

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Or foreskin economics

That's got economic potential

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Embarrassing that people are so easily offended. There are many things in the world worth being offended and outraged by, this is not one of them. Just because other people or groups get so easily offended and thrive on victimhood, doesnt mean we all should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

He’s right to be fair, the term leprechaun economics was mildly offensive as a one off, but certainly referring to the Irish in general as leprechauns is unacceptable and probably damaging to us when we fight our corner on corporate tax.

The origin of the leprauchan is an insult and the leprauchan economics name was also designed as an insult.

On this occasion, I think it's right to take offence because it was meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Embarrassing that people are so easily offended. There are many things in the world worth being offended and outraged by, this is not one of them. Just because other people or groups get so easily offended and thrive on victimhood, doesnt mean we all should.

So if you went to America and some yank started slagging you and calling you a little leprechaun and asking where are your "lucky charms" would ya doff the cap at him and smile and maybe do a little jig for him or would ya tell him to fuck off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yeah, that's a bit silly.

It's a bit Irish all-right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

To be fair, and you're probably a bit ignorant about this, the shylock thing is to do with 100s of years of Europeans being sh1tty to Jews and those occupations were the few ones open to them.

You could hardly say Irish people were persecuted in the same way, esp when many of them have no problem donning a big foam leprechaun hat of a normal Paddys Day.

Irish were persecuted though. The famine, prison ships, looked down on as immigrants in the US and UK, the whole no blacks, no dogs, no Irish, Cromwell's campaign here etc

The leprechaun stuff is a slur and a stereotype so it shouldn't be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Krugman is using the term in a dismissive and derogatory way. Mulhall is right to call him out on it.

I don't accept the argument that people are easily offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

There is so, so big a difference.

I was dubious until I noticed you've used so twice to emphasize your point, I believe you now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,072 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

KaneToad wrote: »
    Krugman is using the term in a dismissive and derogatory way. Mulhall is right to call him out on it.

I don't accept the argument that people are easily offended.

Because we're the victims.

Everything is PC and people are overly-sensiitve, but as soon as we're in the target group - oh no - that's dismissive and derogatory.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Everything is PC and people are overly-sensiitve, but as soon as we're in the target group - oh no - that's dismissive and derogatory.

Well, sure, if the world is going to be all PC and sensitive, it's only right that it's that way to every group isn't it, and not that some groups you have to PC and sensitive towards and other you can say what you want about.

Ideally the whole world would be less sensitive but if you can't be say derogatory stereotypes about blacks, Jewish or whoever, why would it be fine to say it about the Irish.

People are getting sensitive over the word leprechaun. A ****ing mythical creature.

Get over yourselves.

(Bu... Bu... the Jews)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,204 ✭✭✭Augme

Amazing to read how upset people are about a simple letter that written by an Irish Ambassador. That snowflakes for you though I guess. You'd think people wouldnt be so sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

Augme wrote: »
    Amazing to read how upset people are about a simple letter that written by an Irish Ambassador. That snowflakes for you though I guess. You'd think people wouldnt be so sensitive.

Bris Boy had it coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,072 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

titan18 wrote: »
    Well, sure, if the world is going to be all PC and sensitive, it's only right that it's that way to every group isn't it, and not that some groups you have to PC and sensitive towards and other you can say what you want about.

Ideally the whole world would be less sensitive but if you can't be say derogatory stereotypes about blacks, Jewish or whoever, why would it be fine to say it about the Irish.

I go the opposite way.

The world owes you nohting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lets not be disingenuous here. It was an opinion piece by in influential individual which was printed in a major newspaper. Not some randomer saying crap on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I'd rather be the country that doesn't turn into drama queens over a little joke.

This

The origin of the leprauchan is an insult and the leprauchan economics name was also designed as an insult.

On this occasion, I think it's right to take offence because it was meant.

What does your user name mean?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If the leprechauns are offended let them lodge their own objection.

I dont think MDH is ashamed of his origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

biko wrote: »
    ‘Leprechaun economics’ is fine.
    People are dying to be offended these days.

The title of the article was ‘ Yellen’s New Alliance Against Leprechauns’.

And it seems he was at it again back in April

www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/opinion/biden-corporate-taxes.amp.html

Fair play for him being called out on lazy and casual racism. But I personally hate that crap about the Irish in America not least St Patricks day etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Overheal wrote: »
    This seems very aunt jemima in terms of cashing in on popular stereotypes.

That's exactly what it is. He is appealing to an audience that genuinely thinks that's how everyone in Ireland greets people.

In other words, the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Its amazing that people are so desperate to be offended.

I have seen loads of references to Leprechaun's all around Ireland from Irish people who use it to cash in on tourism and so on.

People are getting sensitive over the word leprechaun. A ****ing mythical creature.

Get over yourselves.

(Bu... Bu... the Jews)

Good man. Now go educate yourself on the origin of the leprauchan.

Next, call sometime a ****** or a fairy. Sure it's only a bundle of sticks and a mythical creature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

What an obvious diversion of a very salient point. ITS RAYCISSSSSS - now no one is talking about the mickey mouse leprechaun economics that’s about to pop like a bubble.

Advertisement