Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ambassador to the States acts the clown!

Options
  • 12-06-2021 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

This idiot should be recalled to Iveagh House, given a dressing down and then reassigned to Peking or Rangoon where he'll find something more important to write letters about.

Irish Ambassador to the United States Daniel Mulhall has described the use of the word “leprechaun” by a Nobel Prize-winning economist as an “unacceptable slur”. Mr Mulhall was responding to a column in the New York Times by Paul Krugman who coined the phrase “leprechaun economics” to describe Ireland’s tax policies relating to multinationals.

The phrase, which is now generally used to describe how transfer pricing can distort national accounts, has stuck.

..................................... Returning to the theme in his New York Times column this week, Mr Krugman suggested the distortion in Ireland’s GDP may have been caused by Apple booking its profits in Ireland.

“How big a deal was this? On paper, Ireland’s gross domestic product suddenly jumped 25 per cent, even though nothing real had changed – a phenomenon I dubbed ‘leprechaun economics’, a term that has stuck. (Fortunately, the Irish have a sense of humour.)”

However, Mr Mulhall responded with a letter to the New York Times, saying: “I do not go along with Mr Krugman’s disingenuous excuse that ‘the Irish have a sense of humour’ about his attacks on us. While I am always happy to engage in serious debate about Ireland’s economic performance, derogatory references in a leading newspaper like yours are no laughing matter.

Extract from: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-ambassador-condemns-leprechaun-economics-term-as-derogatory-1.4591943

Comments

He’s right. Nobody would accept a slur word for Jewish people regarding financial matters. Kevin Myers no longer works for the Sunday times.

Yeah, that's a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

He is right!

The author is Jewish, could you imagine if he called him a Palestinian hater?

It’s time the Irish stood up against idiots and culturally inappropriate slurs on our being! English calling us Paddy’s, yanks calling us Micks, us thinking ourselves as the best in the world..etc..etc..

Insulting people based on a myth, is not acceptable…so that “hooked nosed Red Sea pedestrian” schmuck was right to be called up on a printed piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Part of me thinks it's not a big deal while another part of me knows that anti Irish slurs are the only acceptable form of bigotry left in the world, a world where Irish people gladly adopt the notion of "white guilt" without question.

So, if we have to accept responsibility for things other people with a similar skin tone to us have done in the past why should we have to accept slurs against us?

NSAman wrote: »
    He is right!

The author is Jewish, could you imagine if he called him a Palestinian hater?

It’s time the Irish stood up against idiots and culturally inappropriate slurs on our being! English calling us Paddy’s, yanks calling us Micks, us thinking ourselves as the best in the world..etc..etc..

Insulting people based on a myth, is not acceptable…so that “hooked nosed Red Sea pedestrian” schmuck was right to be called up on a printed piece.

I'd rather be the country that doesn't turn into drama queens over a little joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'd rather be the country that doesn't turn into drama queens over a little joke.

Sense the tone…sheeeshhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

‘Leprechaun economics’ is fine.
    People are dying to be offended these days.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see what you did there :P:P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Woke thread ---》

They've got cookies!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

MkSavage wrote: »
    Hmm well Jews are very sensitive to even the mildest banter. So don't talk **** to others when you can't handle it yourself.

Jews tell the best Jewish jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mulhall is perfectly right and doing his job.

He is a very good representative.

Imagine being offended over something like that. Wafer thin skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the leprechauns are offended let them lodge their own objection.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And yet the Jews acted like it was another holocaust when Kevin Myers made a joke about them.

Yes, I'm glad I'm not a drama queen. Wafer thin skin, etc.

I love how you think you're making this zinger of a point.

And yet the Jews acted like it was another holocaust when Kevin Myers made a joke about them.

No, a few people who claimed to represent the entire Jewish community acte that way.

Most people can see the joke. A few overly sensitive wokey types get triggered, but they're the ones with the conch, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

fvp4 wrote: »
    He’s right. Nobody would accept a slur word for Jewish people regarding financial matters.

There is so, so big a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Allinall

Imagine being offended over something like that. Wafer thin skin.

Imagine being outraged by someone being offended by something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

This idiot should be recalled to Iveagh House, given a dressing down and then reassigned to Peking or Rangoon where he'll find something more important to write letters about.

I'd be fairly certain he was acting under Iveagh house instruction. The first time Krugman was let away with it as the best policy is usually to ignore. This second time is more serious as Krugman is essentially labelling a country and it's peoples economy i.e. its means of survival as some kind of joke. Whatever about debating how Ireland has leveraged taxation to its advantage allowing the country to be reduced to some sort of derogatory insult is offensive.

Of course fellow travellers and the usual crew over here will latch on as it gives legitimacy to their half baked "juche" plans for the Irish economy and/or stealing this money for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Just a few of them and he should have kept his job after an apology.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

He is absolutely correct and doing what he was instructed to do.

Clearly you have not got a clue how these things work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Just pointing out hypocrisy.

It is hypocritical and should be called out on the grounds of hypocrisy and not offence. If we try and level of playing field of the right to be offended, then we all end up taking offense at everything. We should be trying to move in the other direction, and not contribute to our hypersensitive world.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I personally can’t stand stand the leprechaun nonsense. I won’t lose sleep over it but it’s irritating more than anything.

The one that really gets my goat is “top o’ the mornin’ to ya,” because no Irish person actually says that.

I’ve no issue with Dan Mulhall calling this out, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

biko wrote: »
    ‘Leprechaun economics’ is fine.
    People are dying to be offended these days.

Would the Jewish person be ok with someone calling it Yid economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,272 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Would the Jewish person be ok with someone calling it Yid economics?
    Or foreskin economics

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,957 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Couldn't agree more, mother of God we've turned into a nation of whingers. I would note the Author of the Article has done a lot of analysis on the financial crash and more notably the ludicrous Bank bail out, His discription of our economy was bang on the money (no pun intended)

I suspect the Ambassador more concerned about hearing some hard truths that offends the government he represents.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Faugheen wrote: »
    The one that really gets my goat is “top o’ the mornin’ to ya,” because no Irish person actually says that.

Well, this is awkward… :pac:

One of the biggest personalities on YouTube, Irish btw -

Jacksepticeye Launches Top Of The Mornin Coffee Company

It’s been his intro for years.

Just pointing out hypocrisy.

It's better to rise above it.

Allinall wrote: »
    Imagine being outraged by someone being offended by something like this.

Who's outraged? I'm laughing at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Couldn't care less, some of our own commentators here used the same phrase.

Dry your eyes lads. Thin skinned cry babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The problem is, if you called Krugman a shylock, you'd be in big trouble.

Jews can't handle banter.

That's his problem, not mine.

Advertisement