Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid Dublin 15

Options
  • 05-06-2021 2:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭

Good afternoon,

Me and my partner are planning to buy family home in Dublin 15, we are not from Ireland.

We are looking in Dublin 15 with a budget of 300-350k. We do not know area too well.
    My work buddy is from the area and has given us a list of the following areas to avoid:

Most estates near the shopping center
    Blakestown
    Hartstown/Huntstown
    Fortlawn/Sheepmore
    Pinebrook
    Whitestown
    Corduff
    Tyrrelstown

They also advised against most of Clonsilla and Ongar and recommended we try stretch budget to over 400k to purchase house in Castleknock.

Are they correct with this advice? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Take a virtual tour with Google maps. Anywhere there are caravans, housed festooned with Irish flags and/or security cameras, horses in the front gardens, just walk away 😲.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Hartstown and Huntstown are fine so don't know why it would be one to avoid . Especially as they would be near the upper end of your budget

Aisling Heights , Brookhaven and Edgewood Lawn also fine but maybe outside of your budget in the current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

As above, Hartstown & Huntstown, Blakestown are old D15, well settled with mix of generations living there.
    Houses are late 70s/80s build so will need modernisation if not done already.
    No more issues in these areas than in any other part of D15 IMO.

Clonsilla is good area too with easy access to train, shopping centre & other amenities

Your budget is low even for D15, not going to be much in this market as prices are right now.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-29-delhurst-avenue-ongar-park-ongar-dublin-15/3270827
    This part of Ongar is good, these house style are excellent but place needs cleaning up.

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

ongarite wrote: »
    As above, Hartstown & Huntstown, Blakestown are old D15, well settled with mix of generations living there.
    Houses are late 70s/80s build so will need modernisation if not done already.
    No more issues in these areas than in any other part of D15 IMO.

Clonsilla is good area too with easy access to train, shopping centre & other amenities

Your budget is low even for D15, not going to be much in this market as prices are right now.

This part of Ongar is good, these house style are excellent but place needs cleaning up.

Ok they said high social issues, i googled some of areas and mainly shootings even on the same road. We also hear same about Ongar but not shootings, just trouble with gangs and race issues.

This is max budget, we cannot borrow more for now. We thought it would find us a good place as people say D15 cheaper than most of Dublin.

We are thinking of saving more for Castleknock area but will take time that we might not have (age 37).

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Good afternoon,

Me and my partner are planning to buy family home in Dublin 15, we are not from Ireland.

We are looking in Dublin 15 with a budget of 300-350k. We do not know area too well.
    My work buddy is from the area and has given us a list of the following areas to avoid:

Blakestown
    Hartstown/Huntstown
    Fortlawn/Sheepmore
    Pinebrook
    Whitestown
    Corduff
    Tyrrelstown

They also advised against most of Clonsilla and Ongar and recommended we try stretch budget to over 400k to purchase house in Castleknock.

You'll fit in great, as there are no Irish in Dublin 15 xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭LeBash

Ashtown. It's on the outskirt of D15 but nice area, few shops, close to city, train, bus, luas not a million miles away. Price wise, your close to a few nice places in the area.

LeBash wrote: »
    Ashtown. It's on the outskirt of D15 but nice area, few shops, close to city, train, bus, luas not a million miles away. Price wise, your close to a few nice places in the area.

Thanks, we will avoid above areas and check this out. We might stay away from D15, very expensive and doesn't look like great location and high crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

?

What?

i googled some of areas and mainly shootings even on the same road. We also hear same about Ongar but not shootings, just trouble with gangs and race issues.

This is max budget, we cannot borrow more for now. We thought it would find us a good place as people say D15 cheaper than most of Dublin.

Unfortunately that's the reason D15 is cheaper than most of Dublin.

As you know, the housing market is under a lot of strain at the moment, loads of people trying to buy. There are no hidden gems, lucky finds, or bargains. Sellers know exactly how much their property is worth. If something seems cheaper than the surrounding areas, it's usually because there are issues that are keeping the price down.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but you need to be very skeptical about anything that seems unusually affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Ok they said high social issues, i googled some of areas and mainly shootings even on the same road. We also hear same about Ongar but not shootings, just trouble with gangs and race issues.

I live in Ongar. It’s ok. Not terrible, but certainly not desirable. I have two young kids who are pre-school age. We’ll be leaving this area within the next year. I’d probably stay here if we didn’t have kids, but we don’t want to bring them up here.

Ongar is probably the most multicultural place in Ireland. I would guess that the local population is about 50% Irish, 20% Eastern European, 15% African, and 15% Asian, mostly from the Indian sub-continent. You might enjoy that ethnic mix. Some do; some don’t. I haven’t seen too much ethnic tension, but the different groups mostly stick to themselves.

Overall, it’s ok, not terrible, but there are far nicer places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Take a look at some of the less salubrious areas of D5 also. Most are very settled and you have the DART nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks, we will avoid above areas and check this out. We might stay away from D15, very expensive and doesn't look like great location and high crime.

I've lived in D15 for 17 years and the only crime I've encountered was a car break in about 15 years ago. So please don't tar the whole area with labels like you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Good afternoon,

Blakestown
    Hartstown/Huntstown
    Fortlawn/Sheepmore
    Pinebrook
    Whitestown
    Corduff
    Tyrrelstown

I'm afraid you won't find much in D15 within that price frame at the moment - 61 3 bed houses. Realistically the better areas within your budget would be Clonee & Clonsilla. I wouldn't completely rule out Tyrrelstown, it had some issues a number of years ago but it has quietened down since, is relatively ok and has an active community council keeping run of the place. Most parts of Huntstown / Hartstown are also fine. I wouldn't be mad about Ongar, but that's my own opinion.

Caranica wrote: »
    I've lived in D15 for 17 years and the only crime I've encountered was a car break in about 15 years ago. So please don't tar the whole area with labels like you have.

My only source of information on area is from work buddy who lived there 40 years and news reports, both don't paint those areas in good light. That is why i look for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TBH anywhere you're getting within your budget is likely to have some history. The trick is to get an area which has settled. Not trying to be snobby, I had the exact same issue.

My only source of information on area is from work buddy who lived there 40 years and news reports, both don't paint those areas in good light. That is why i look for advice

Do you have to buy a house or would you be happy with an apartment?
    Dublin 15 is a very big area and I wouldn't judge the entire area on a few incidents.
    Is it just price that brings you to Dublin 15? Does commute matter?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Carpenterstown is grand, it’s quiet but there isn’t too much in terms of local amenities. Not too far to walk to Blanchardstown SC however. Public transport links are okay too.

Lived in Riverwood for about seven years without any problems. People like to pretend it’s Castleknock tho so prices might be inflated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Dublin 15 is a vast area and has a population bigger than Galway city. It's not "an area" it's many many many areas. All are not the same.

You get what you pay for. Your budget is very low for Dublin. D15 is probably the least desirable post code in the city for several reasons including location, demographics, and some social problems, which are somewhat exaggerated by the media.

One area to look at is Littlepace. It’s almost adjacent to Ongar, but seems significantly nicer. It’s about 15 years old, mostly settled, and has avoided the social problems reported in Ongar. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

Clonsilla is a large area in Dublin 15, the Post code stretches from border old clonsilla village which is fine area, all the way up to coolmine (also well established area), which borders with carpenterstown. Lohunda, Lambourn, Castleford, even mount symon up to edge of Ongar are actually lovely well settled estates. Porterstown old part beautiful, Carpenterstown which is marketed as castleknock but actually isn't, stretched from phoenix Park to boundary of Clonsilla village, all those areas are fine places to live. Your budget won't get you much in castleknock, prob a 1 bed (real castleknock) but Carpenterstown you could get something in that range smaller 3 bed near train station or collegefort is decent location and lovely area but parking in estate is dire.

Portersgate (as opposed to porterstown) is also fine.

Hamachi wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. Your budget is very low for Dublin. D15 is probably the least desirable post code in the city for several reasons including location, demographics, and some social problems, which are somewhat exaggerated by the media.

One area to look at is Littlepace. It’s almost adjacent to Ongar, but seems significantly nicer. It’s about 15 years old, mostly settled, and has avoided the social problems reported in Ongar. Worth a look.

We think 350,000 should not be considered low when average wage is 50,000.

We saw that area but work buddy said same issues as other bad areas.
    We might save more for nicer location

niniboots wrote: »
    Clonsilla is a large area in Dublin 15, the Post code stretches from border old clonsilla village which is fine area, all the way up to coolmine (also well established area), which borders with carpenterstown. Lohunda, Lambourn, Castleford, even mount symon up to edge of Ongar are actually lovely well settled estates. Porterstown old part beautiful, Carpenterstown which is marketed as castleknock but actually isn't, stretched from phoenix Park to boundary of Clonsilla village, all those areas are fine places to live. Your budget won't get you much in castleknock, prob a 1 bed (real castleknock) but Carpenterstown you could get something in that range smaller 3 bed near train station or collegefort is decent location and lovely area but parking in estate is dire.

Portersgate (as opposed to porterstown) is also fine.

We never heard of Carpenterstown, is 3 bed going for 350,000 there?
    What estates would you advise?

We think 350,000 should not be considered low when average wage is 50,000.

We saw that area but work buddy said same issues as other bad areas.
    We might save more for nicer location

I agree, but the Dublin housing market is dysfunctional right now. Littlepace does not have any issues. A good friend of mine has lived there for years. It’s fine.

Honestly, with your budget and requirements, I’d be looking at some of the commuter towns in the Dublin orbit. You’ll get more bang for your buck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

We never heard of Carpenterstown, is 3 bed going for 350,000 there?
    What estates would you advise?

Carpenterstown has an excellent secondary school on a par with any of the 'private' ones.

If you get a house in that area you would also be eligible for the new Edmund rice school.

Up in clonsilla there's coolmine college too which has a good reputation.

At this stage you'll do well to get a 3 bed for 350k around there.

BTW Carpenterstown and Riverwood ARE
    in Castleknock. The main hint is Castleknock Community College is smack bang in the heart of Carpenterstown

Riverwood/ Carpenterstown are in the Castleknock Knockmaroon District Electoral Division (DED). These are the proper local boundaries used by the census, local govt.

You can get a map in the Ordance survey office in the phoenix park.

Everyone knows the "real" Castleknock is the other side of the M50 though... Wot wot .
    The whole Castleknock division thing comes from the split in the M50... Castleknock Park is the electorial division on the posh side beside the park. You'll definitely not get a family home for 350k there OP. Unless one of those cottages come up.

Hamachi wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. Your budget is very low for Dublin. D15 is probably the least desirable post code in the city for several reasons.

Ah, far from it I would think!
    Dublin 1, and a lot of Dublin 10 and 11, would be the worst postcodes, in general.

OP, so you have to get a house? Would an apartment be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

Treppen wrote:
    BTW Carpenterstown and Riverwood ARE in Castleknock. The main hint is Castleknock Community College is smack bang in the heart of Carpenterstown

Do yourself a favour and don't look at where the 'Castleknock' Hotel is located

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement