Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

anndub wrote: »
    Has the approach of buying the worst house on the best road you can afford gone out of fashion? There are doer uppers available in decent areas for that budget. You may have to put up with poor interiors for a few years while you continue to save but you have a foothold in an area that you are happy to grow old in.

People want everything except the price....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

I’d agree with another who said go to leixlip or celbridge maybe . Will add a bit to your commute but train is available. You will have some anti social behaviour of course but there is a better community feel and nice little villages with a few nice pubs and restaurants.

For me D15 has some lovely areas but are very expensive, and the rest is a real concrete jungle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

tastyt wrote: »
    I’d agree with another who said go to leixlip or celbridge maybe . Will add a bit to your commute but train is available. You will have some anti social behaviour of course but there is a better community feel and nice little villages with a few nice pubs and restaurants.

For me D15 has some lovely areas but are very expensive, and the rest is a real concrete jungle
    If the OP can't afford D15, then Leixlip or Celbridge is way outside budget.
    There are 6 houses in total for sale for less than 350K & of those 6, 1 is rental for sale with tenants & 1 other is sold already through BidX.
    2 others are very small (<85m2) & old with 1 bathroom in total.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/ireland?location=leixlip-and-surrounds-kildare&location=celbridge-and-surrounds-kildare&salePrice_to=350000&numBeds_to=3&numBeds_from=3

Outside D15 but not far away, this would be my pick:
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-198-steeplechase-green-ratoath-co-meath/3214113
    Ratoath is great little town with good schools, sports amenities, restaurants.
    Good bus link to Dublin city centre with Bus Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Hamachi wrote: »
    Actually, least desirable is too extreme. Dublin 1 is clearly less desirable.

Apart from Castleknock, Dublin 15 isn’t prized by anybody with buying power.

Cabra / Finglas / ballymoon
    all less desirable than D15

ongarite wrote: »
    If the OP can't afford D15, then Leixlip or Celbridge is way outside budget.
    There are 6 houses in total for sale for less than 350K & of those 6, 1 is rental for sale with tenants & 1 other is sold already through BidX.
    2 others are very small (<85m2) & old with 1 bathroom in total.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/ireland?location=leixlip-and-surrounds-kildare&location=celbridge-and-surrounds-kildare&salePrice_to=350000&numBeds_to=3&numBeds_from=3

Outside D15 but not far away, this would be my pick:
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-198-steeplechase-green-ratoath-co-meath/3214113
    Ratoath is great little town with good schools, sports amenities, restaurants.
    Good bus link to Dublin city centre with Bus Eireann

Most of these areas including the majority of D15 is decent. You can find anti social activity everywhere...

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2019/02/06/teen-gang-causing-serious-concern-for-ratoath-residents/

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

Ace2007 wrote: »

These properties are huge no, we drive around Mulhuddart and having lived in many countries, it is up there with worst areas.

We want Dublin postcode if we ever need to sell for retirement to ensure good return, plus we need to be close to Dublin for work. (IT and Healthcare)

I do think it's worth looking at Hartstown/Huntstown again or not striking it off completely. It is within budget. One of the issues with it would be a lot of the houses are older. I wouldn't be too quick to buy facing onto the main road especially around Circle K/Eurospar but there are plenty of quiet roads and estates contained in that area.

We drive around and see lots of teens
    not well maintained houses
    very far from city
    very high price for cr5p really
    social media has lots of videos of racial attacks on white people (my kids are white)
    we don't like feel of area, look like will only get worse

fvp4 wrote: »
    why were you avoiding them? The marauding gangs were out?

I think on your budget and your pickiness you should look further outside the city.

350,000 should afford ok house near city, not sh1t that is for sale right now
    we think people panic
    if prices go back to 2018-2019 level or even before covid we buy house we are happy with for 350,000
    We cannot go much further out, D15 does not even feel like Dublin
    it is nearly countryside

I agree with you . There have to be compromises made with the budget being so low. The OP wants to wait another 2 years. If they added the rental cost for the next two years onto their budget now it would help.

We are sick of hearing "budget so low"
    350,000 would buy nice house in D15 before covid
    people scared now and prices up

this should not last forever
    350,000 would get us nice house in 2019 early 2020
    economy has not improved
    economy is at most fragile since ww2
    how can people think that the recent change to prices is now permanent
    we think only temporary

Flinty997 wrote: »
    People want everything except the price....

We work hard and have good jobs to get our budget, we want ok house for our money

We only look at used house, not new
    We think many Irish people might not work for deposit

They bid stupid amount for bad property
    They seem to spend like someone else money
    Or maybe we outbid by council or investment funds

not sure

• Advertisement

Re Waterville
    Agree in that the parts of Waterville estate that are accessed off the roundabout on the way into the hospital are 20 years old and very settled and the best places to be - that would be Tory, Blasket and the one behind and in front of those

I wouldn't recommend the ones that go way up Snugborough road. They are also a different builder to Waterville Terrace (further in towards the hospital) and not as well built.

HTH, Best of luck

Thanks we will view house in Waterville and do more research
    Also will view Ashtown but not many houses or garden and we unsure of service costs

Both look better than most D15

anndub wrote: »
    Has the approach of buying the worst house on the best road you can afford gone out of fashion? There are doer uppers available in decent areas for that budget. You may have to put up with poor interiors for a few years while you continue to save but you have a foothold in an area that you are happy to grow old in.

We do not see even fix upper
    Even they not far off price of those in better condition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I lived in Tyrrelstown for 4 years and moved out towards the end of last year. I didn’t have any issues at all.
    Personally I found the transport links terrible but a lovely community and I didn’t see any issues, I still miss how handy the lidl and SuperValu were to get to.

I bought in an estate in Coolmine/clonsilla area. My budget was similar to yours.
    The reasons for buying here was :
    12 minute walk from Blanch SC
    8 minutes stroll from Coolmine train station.
    Access to good schools and restaurants.

The area overall is great. I don’t see many issues around this part of blanchardstown.
    My partner is from Huntstown and generally the area is fine with good bus access although being nearer the train station and castleknock in general is more desirable IMO.
    I had never been to Blanch until about 7 years ago. Originally from near clontarf area.
    I lived in castleknock as well and to be honest the area I’ve bought has been my favourite so far, big fan of the area in general. It took me about 2 years to settle on a select number of estates I would buy in and then we bid on two houses and we were successful the 2nd time.

Everywhere has antisocial problems. You will not avoid it in Dublin unless you buy slap bang in the middle of fox rock.

This area is well worth looking at

https://www.daft.ie/15081503

Unfortunately your budget has become quite tight as prices have gone up.
    I think my house has probably already increased by 35-40k in value.

I lived in Tyrrelstown for 4 years and moved out towards the end of last year. I didn’t have any issues at all.
    Personally I found the transport links terrible but a lovely community and I didn’t see any issues, I still miss how handy the lidl and SuperValu were to get to.

I bought in an estate in Coolmine/clonsilla area. My budget was similar to yours.
    The reasons for buying here was :
    12 minute walk from Blanch SC
    8 minutes stroll from Coolmine train station.
    Access to good schools and restaurants.

The area overall is great. I don’t see many issues around this part of blanchardstown.
    My partner is from Huntstown and generally the area is fine with good bus access although being nearer the train station and castleknock in general is more desirable IMO.
    I had never been to Blanch until about 7 years ago. Originally from near clontarf area.
    I lived in castleknock as well and to be honest the area I’ve bought has been my favourite so far, big fan of the area in general. It took me about 2 years to settle on a select number of estates I would buy in and then we bid on two houses and we were successful the 2nd time.

Everywhere has antisocial problems. You will not avoid it in Dublin unless you buy slap bang in the middle of fox rock.

Thanks
    Can you please DM me the area and i research?

Thanks
    Can you please DM me the area and i research?

Your best bet would be a possible ex rental/doer upper for your budget. You will get something in the following quiet areas

Limelawn
    Mount Symon
    Saint Mochtas
    Porterstown
    Lohunda

All close to rail so city centre is handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Thanks we will view house in Waterville and do more research
    Also will view Ashtown but not many houses or garden and we unsure of service costs

Both look better than most D15

Your budget won't stretch to Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

We work hard and have good jobs to get our budget, we want ok house for our money

We only look at used house, not new
    We think many Irish people might not work for deposit

They bid stupid amount for bad property
    They seem to spend like someone else money
    Or maybe we outbid by council or investment funds

not sure

I'm not even sure where to start with this post because the attidute that comes across here stinks. There's a real sense of entitlement coming across here. I wish you the best of luck but if you're going to start blaming everyone else for your current predicament, you won't get far. No one is forcing you to participate in the current property market, you can continue to rent (and take your chances with that).

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Hamachi

rightmove wrote: »
    How long have you lived there?
    Main reason to move is to bring up kids in better area?

6 years. I needed to buy a house quickly to move back to Ireland from abroad for a family emergency . Ongar was affordable, which is why I bought there without too much research.

Have since gotten married and have 2 young kids. Both my wife and I are from outside Dublin. Main reasons to move are nicer area, better schools, and different demographics.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Cabra / Finglas / ballymoon
    all less desirable than D15

They’re sub-areas within larger post codes.

Are they less desirable than Corduff, Ongar, or Tyrellstown? I’d say they’re pretty much on par.

• Advertisement

They’re sub-areas within larger post codes.

Are they less desirable than Corduff, Ongar, or Tyrellstown? I’d say they’re pretty much on par.

It’s obvious you aren’t or didn’t grow up in Dublin if you think ongar and Tyrrelstown are even slightly comparable to ballymun and parts of finglas.

It’s obvious you aren’t or didn’t grow up in Dublin if you think ongar and Tyrrelstown are even slightly comparable to ballymun and parts of finglas.

Well seeing as I said that I’m not from Dublin in the post above, it hardly takes Sherlock Holmes levels of deduction to figure that out.

Ballymun seems ok to me these days. I wouldn’t buy there but it doesn’t seem too bad when driving through. Have a good friend in an ok part of Finglas. He said there’s a good community spirit there. Neither seem particularly inferior to Ongar.

Well seeing as I said that I’m not from Dublin in the post above, it hardly takes Sherlock Holmes levels of deduction to figure that out.

Ballymun seems ok to me these days. I wouldn’t buy there but it doesn’t seem too bad when driving through. Have a good friend in an ok part of Finglas. He said there’s a good community spirit there. Neither seem particularly inferior to Ongar.

Yes it really shows.

My father grew up in Ballymun during the heroin epidemic and the area is still suffering badly but maybe not as bad as it once was.
    I’d walk through Tyrrelstown or Ongar at anytime of the night and have done without any problems.
    I wouldn’t walk through finglas or ballymun which I have done and encountered problems.

IMO I don’t think you should be offering advice about areas of Dublin if you can’t see the difference between Tyrrelstown and ballymun it’s absolutely mental.
    Albeit some advice you have given has been useful.

Much closer to the train in Ongar is an easy win for me right off the bat...

IMO I don’t think you should be offering advice about areas of Dublin if you can’t see the difference between Tyrrelstown and ballymun it’s absolutely mental.
    Albeit some advice you have given has been useful.

Actually, I think I’m in a pretty good position to give advice to the OP given that I live in Dublin 15, have a young family like the OP, and am providing a different perspective on the area. The OP seems to have appreciated my input.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy in a fit in Ballymun. I’m certainly not advocating that the OP buys there. He seems pretty clued in. I’m sure one pass through of the area in his car would be sufficient to make up his mind.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Much closer to the train in Ongar is an easy win for me right off the bat...

Cool. I have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Screwthebeast

We took people advice and drive through following areas over the weekend:

Blakestown
    Hartstown/Huntstown
    Fortlawn/Sheepmore
    Pinebrook
    Hollystown
    Whitestown
    Corduff
    Tyrrelstown

We will avoid all of these.
    Next we will look at Ashtown and Waterville.
    Any parts of Waterville to avoid?
    If no value found we will wait for maybe two years, try save extra 50,000 and hope prices drop by a few % or better property becomes available.

Yep, pretty much spot on.

Ashtown has some quiet gems prices may be difficult though

Yep, pretty much spot on.

Ashtown has some quiet gems prices may be difficult though

I don’t get the hate for Blakestown, Hartstown, and Huntstown. They would be my preference of the areas listed above.

and different demographics.

What does this mean exactly?

• Advertisement

Cool. I have a car.

A car has no effect on property. A train though....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement