Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine tenants evicted from north Dublin property by men in masks and dark clothing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Correct me if I’m wrong but if 8 people were subletting from 1 tenant then those 8 people don’t need to be given notice only the 1 tenant needs to be given notice as they are subletting to those 8 people who aren’t tenants.

The one tenant who sublets is responsible for notifying the 8 people who are called something else under the law which I can’t remember.

Very good point
    If it transpires that there was no lawful tenant and / or they were indeed unknowing (or knowing) squatters, then they are finished.
    If it transpires someone was actually letting to them, then they have to go legal on that basis.

This is far from clear, but it should be clearly recognised:
    1. It is not racially motivated as claimed.
    2. It may actually be completely legal, so a lot of the arguements here are moot.
    3. It is just a matter of wait and see, and dont get caught up in the hype and "outrage"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

its always interesting to wait and see how this type of news pans out. the moral outrage is the obvious start and then as true facts emerge then maybe the outragers will calm themselves until the next time.

how anyone thinks that somewhere rented to 1 that is then occupied by several is an acceptable situation is incomprehensible to me.

maybe going in and smashing things, if this did occur, is unnecessary, but turfing everyone out is fine by me if the correct rules arent being followed.

its not a case of one law for one and let others do what they like.

its always interesting to wait and see how this type of news pans out. the moral outrage is the obvious start and then as true facts emerge then maybe the outragers will calm themselves until the next time.

how anyone thinks that somewhere rented to 1 that is then occupied by several is an acceptable situation is incomprehensible to me.

maybe going in and smashing things, if this did occur, is unnecessary, but turfing everyone out is fine by me if the correct rules arent being followed.

its not a case of one law for one and let others do what they like.

Yep. If legal processes were followed and completed, then what happened is appropriate. I see they have re-entered the house and making themselves at home. For all we know, this could have been the issue all along. Maybe they knew full well this was going to happen but just won't leave.

Or maybe they are the victims here and need support. The outrage will continue though. However, I am surprised, while not following issues like this much, I don;t see the old reliables jumping up and down, SF, PBP, Gilroy, etc etc.

Just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

seamus wrote: »
    I would certainly be casting a skeptical eye on that landlord. If the tenants believed that he was the landlord and were paying him rent even though he knew the property had been sold on - or was in dispute - then that says quite a bit about him.

The Irish Times pops up a few articles about property disputes involving a "Gerry Ward" where he apparently just refuses to accept repossession of his properties.

Chances are there were many, many eviction notices and warning served, but Mr. Ward chose not to alert his tenants.

No excuse really for hiring a crew to smash up the place, but the new owner was likely unaware that the residents didn't know about the dispute and instead from his perspective they were effectively squatters that were ignoring every request to vacate.

Edit: On further research, it would appear that Mr. Ward is one of these "Freeman of the Land" nutjobs, so it looks to me like he was renting the property to these poor people despite not even owning it.

Be careful here, there's more than one Gerry Ward.

The one is previous articles is a psychothe-rapist, address in Leoepardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

silver2020 wrote: »
    So the security guys were wearing protective masks just like everyone else in the country.

They were wearing standard black clothing like many people.

They were getting a property owner the property back from people staying there illegal

The "tenants" were effectively squatters with no right to stay in the building.

The "tenants" were paying cash to a head tenant who in turn gave it to some dodgy ex landlord.

Interesting that Gerry Ward is trying to backtrack on what he was saying - probably because revenue will take an interest in this

Very surprised the Irish Times fell for this rubbish. Usually it's the Hysterical or Indo.

I think you are giving The Irish Times way too much credit here, they jump headlong into a story just like the others to ensure outrage levels are high.

Then the full story comes out a few days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting any landlord instructions his/her agents to break internal doors, toilets and put holes in partition walls, if this did occur, the landlord is as equally thuggish as the individuals engaged in this appalling display of brutality.

Im not suggesting , I’m saying that unless the owner reports that a crime was committed then there was no criminal destruction

ted1 wrote: »
    Im not suggesting , I’m saying that unless the owner reports that a crime was committed then there was no criminal destruction
    Very true.
    If it comes out that the tenants had been legally told to leave and refused, then everyone has been taken for a ride on this. Again, if the legal avenues had been completed, and the tenants were playing the outrage wave, then the LL smashing up his own stuff to reinforce a (legal) eviction was a desperate measure

Or perhaps the LL is a bollix and a no good thug who did this illegally.

Wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Strumms wrote: »
    Whatever about the eviction being rightful or wrongful.... Gardai standing by, observing and facilitating criminal damage occurring to property is a bit concerning.

If the building owner said smash up the bathrooms once the people are legally evicted there is nothing criminal about it. It's his building to do whatever he wants within the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Destroying the place is a terror tactic. If it's a legal eviction there was no need and I'd be pissed if I owned it.
    If the attempted eviction was someone trying their luck, smashing up the place would be a good incentive for the occupants not to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Bowie wrote: »
    Destroying the place is a terror tactic. If it's a legal eviction there was no need and I'd be pissed if I owned it.
    If the attempted eviction was someone trying their luck, smashing up the place would be a good incentive for the occupants not to return.

But if there was going tobe a complete refurb, the owner wouldnt mind, if it was a legal eviction.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »

Disagree. Could also be a tactic to discourage them to (illegally?) re-enter the house. From reports, this is exactly what they have done. And as someone else pointed out, it would need to be gutted and refurbished anyway, so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Disagree. Could also be a tactic to discourage them to (illegally?) re-enter the house. From reports, this is exactly what they have done.

doubtful given it seems to generally fail going on other evictions where people have re-entered the property dispite it being smashed up.
    more likely to be an intimidation/terror tactic by the rent a thug.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

doubtful given it seems to generally fail going on other evictions where people have re-entered the property dispite it being smashed up.
    If it was your house, with, lets say they are illegal (we dont know that), and you were reduced to sending in a private security company to remove them, you would want to make the house as un-returnable as possible. You could spend even more money on big heavy shutters, a security guard or two, even send in a digger to demolish it.

The point is, if you are going to all this trouble, do it right. If they have moved back in again, then this whole episode was a waste of time, and if they are illegals, then he should have driven a digger through it. Do the job properly, the owner is now back to square one.

In the video, it is claimed it is illegal. Possibly true, possibly false.
    It is claimed the gardai backed them up - false.
    It was claimed it was racial - HAHA but that is a regular claim.
    Then I was told I was a lover of Goldman Sachs - who are they, I dont know.

I was also shouted down for pointing out another false claim of "I cannot breath", used to back up a false arguement, I backed it with a video of it in action, another false accusation in real life.

There is the tenants version, the owners version, and the true story. Time will tell which is correct.

Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Does anyone know how the last 'very public eviction' ended up where it was claimed that loyalist paramilitaries in vans came down to evict a hardworking family around the time leading up to the last election. Was it established whether the eviction was legal or not and were the tenants allowed to return? Its rare that the people who immediately post and tweet about these things ever follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

Disagree. Could also be a tactic to discourage them to (illegally?) re-enter the house. From reports, this is exactly what they have done. And as someone else pointed out, it would need to be gutted and refurbished anyway, so why not?

It was in bits before eviction they had knocked out a wall to a vacant shop next door and they fought like it was there own

anyway they broke back last night same they did before so its theirs now so

Owners are irevelant wait till they close DPs there will be a stampede to every vacant building

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There is no evidence of the bailiffs doing any damage to the property .
    It's most likely the activists doing to gain maximum publicity I see the Flynn chap is all over this the champion of oul Margaret cash

Reading the last few comments, I do not have any sympathy with these tenants.

If they smashed a wall to use the shop next door as an extention, I would seriously doubt anything they say.

Margaret Cash is a free loader, and she got what she wanted and nobody says boo to her. She gets everything handed to her without question. Is that what these tenants are after?

I am on benefits, I have a mortgage split, so I understand about housing and the dangers. I was wiped out in the recession, but I go to school and have exams starting monday.

Gonna bow out now, got work to do. I get so wound up when I see what looks to me like pure free loading and playing on the national outrage.

Slan!

P.S Am stuggling with maths and control systems if anyone wants to offer some assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gardaí should only have a presence to police any public disorder or criminal conduct that may occur but have no role in evictions. From the video, it appears that this was not the case. The Garda can be heard telling the resident that "they had no right anymore to be there".

Aswell as this, Solicitor Gary Daly, who is representing two of the tenants, told TheJournal.ie “there is no legal document circulating which would form the basis for a lawfully authorised eviction. My clients have not been served with one and to best of knowledge gardaí were not in possession of a court order or order of Residential Tenancies Board authorising the eviction of tenants from the property,” he said.

Some of them resident for the previous 8 years. Goldman Sachs, said the fund had sold the property on June 2nd, but was unable to disclose the name of the buyer citing confidentiality reasons. One source said the property had been sold to a Dublin-based company. Two individuals listed as directors of that company did not return requests for comment. Regardless of who owns the property, tenants are still tenants and the sale doesn’t void their rights.

Also, whats the story with these two big lads? Instead of getting Loyalists down from the North to boot people from homes are they getting them from the Ivory Coast? :P

522960.jpeg

522961.jpeg

Facebook videos mirror, so they are Ireland flags mirrored.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Facebook videos mirror, so they are Ireland flags mirrored.

Not true. Read back on my posts after the one you quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

A Councillor who’s from the homeless charity who put the people up for a night was on Drivetime claiming it’s illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Council for civil liberties writing to the Gardai, the charity writing too asking why the Gardai were there.

. . . because the tenants called them as they said in the video.

All a bit hysterical.

A Councillor who’s from the homeless charity who put the people up for a night was on Drivetime claiming it’s illegal.

Flynn? Mates of his helped the evicted tenants back in. They’re looking for volunteers to repair the damage! And attend tomorrow’s planned protest, which wasn’t getting much attention before this!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Many of my musings from last night might prove to be true.

If the Gardai were there, and there was a court order it was all above board.

If the owner got the tenants out at last, I wouldn't blame him for destroying the property in order to discourage further squatting or dubious sub letting.

It is not always the LL/owner's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He would say mass if he could

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It was in bits before eviction they had knocked out a wall to a vacant shop next door and they fought like it was there own

anyway they broke back last night same they did before so its theirs now so

Owners are irevelant wait till they close DPs there will be a stampede to every vacant building

So where is the building in question out of curiousity?

Cheers, I was expecting it to be the houses at the Dorset street end of North Circular Road which are a bit dodge.

Instead of being worth half a million before being done up!

Instead of being worth half a million before being done up!

It's a weird area alright, people spending that amount of cash on places but the alcos and the addicts etc still very much a regular presence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Beholders

Lads, look, I posted two images from the video of the eviction (see it here https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-eviction-5175006-Aug2020/) that showed that two of the buff ninjas had sewn their tricolours into their shirts that morning the wrong way around. I amd a joke that the lads must have been hired from the Ivory Coast instead of Loyalists from Nortern Ireland like the last infamous eviction.

522969.png
    522970.png

I got pulled up on this joke and told that the video was doctored by mirroring it. So I posted up another screenshot from the same video that showed a poster on a bus and another flag that was the correct way around to show that it was not mirrored.

522973.png

No, I am not blind. Yes, I understand that the flag is the correct way around in second image. That was the point.

I have no issue with the lads being from the Ivory Coast. But I dont think that is likely. Why are ye so quick to assume that the video is wrong without even having looked at it?

Just after watching the video, it a appears that one of the guys does have the Irish flag on wrongly, but it is only one of the guys, (ie it is the same person, that you cited twice in your stills) probably a misprinted security T-shirt uniform. Everyone else is wear what appear to be security uniforms with the flag the correct way, and using masks as we have being asked to do, when entering a crowded indoor place. So the headline that the Irish Times used is a little bit misleading.

Their is though two things that peeked my interest in the video, well three actually.
    Firstly the guy standing behind the female Garda, states that I have given you due warning, I posted it up on facebook. (I'm not quoting it directly but given the jest of what I heard).
    He says "I" so is he the landlord or the person who responsible for this eviction, he does appear to be a someone that may have some answers (ie directly to what is happening with the eviction)
    He also mentions "facebook" is social media actually considered an exceptionable and reliable way to inform someone of a illegal document. (I know if it was me, I probably wouldn't see it for about 2 weeks, although I am on facebook, I don't log in that much)

Lastly at the end of the video, the man keeps pushing this document towards the Garda, from his POV (point of view) and just before the video ends, he says that this is all he has received (I'm paraphrasing here) indicating the document) is this a document that he just received or has he had it for a couple of days?

Anyway, I'm with a lot of other posters, I think there is a communication breakdown somewhere, Tenets - Carer Tenet of property - Old Landlord - New Landlord - Bank, and probably someone was up to no good and keeping the cash, but again that is just my opinion, and I think it may all come out in the next couple of days. I do think that it is quite bad and sensationalized reporting though by the Irish Times. Only time will tell.

I'm still very curious of the person who stated "I" in my first point of the video, if I was working for a company or in conjunction with other people I would have state "We"

Sorry the video is here for people to make up their own minds https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-eviction-5175006-Aug2020/

Advertisement