Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine tenants evicted from north Dublin property by men in masks and dark clothing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Amirani wrote: »
    Are you blind? The flag is clearly the correct way round in this image?

It is, but that's not the point of this image, it's to show that the one where it is the wrong way round isn't mirrored

522961.jpeg

522962.png
    . Even if it is mirrored, one of them has it on wrong. Most likely not mirrored and the indoor guy has it wrong because a crest is usually worn left side over the heart

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

joeguevara wrote: »
    It would appear that Mr. Ward is no longer the landlord and hasn't been for a long time.

I wonder was he still collecting rents, the receiver was likely entitled to terminate the lease by obtaining an order. As the property doesn't seem to be registered with the RTB I'm assuming that route was never taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It is, but that's not the point of this image, it's to show that the one where it is the wrong way round isn't mirrored

Are they from the same video camera? Can you show the whole clip without interruption to show that they are different flags?

Are they from the same video camera? Can you show the whole clip without interruption to show that they are different flags?

Look at the electrical work over the door, it's on the same side in both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you compare the two images that riffmongus posted together you will see the electrical fuse boxes to the right of the door in both. so neither image was reversed. so one guy had his flag the right way around and another had his reversed

Look at the electrical work over the door, it's on the same side in both

Very interesting. If i was wrong on that I apologise. Do you have the full video just to see?

Apologies to schroderingers cat if i was wrong.

It seems that the situation is that Mr Ward had assigned the duty of collecting rent to one tenant by way of subletting. Is it a 3-bed property? If individuals units they must be very small to fit 9 people based on the size of the building.

The property doesn't seem to be registered with the RTB and it seems the receiver sold the property several years ago and it was sold again on 8 June 2020. Other people here have said the landlord continues to take rents after the receiver had taken charge of the property. It seems like the "landlord" is a bit of a scumbag who stole the tenant's money and crammed people into a property in poor conditions, the eviction was terrible but people seem to be championing his cause. Is any of the above incorrect? Apologies if so!

So was Mr Ward the person the receivers sold the property to a few years ago then or was he who the receivers took over from?

Very interesting. If i was wrong on that I apologise. Do you have the full video just to see?

No worries, happens. I'm just going by the pictures Schrodcat. posted here, but I'm guessing the video must be in the thread somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So he’s just from Ivory Coast. What’s the issue

Found it, it's legit. Not all of them but at least the ones from the stills

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-eviction-5175006-Aug2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

Saw the eviction yesterday locals say they are squatting beside the house there is a shop used to be a piano shop years ago they had broken through the wall between house and shop, the place is in bits inside was before.
    The non EU nationals staying there where known for dumping rubbish around the street
    This was no legal letting and they did put up a fight
    They are back in now they have some big thug standing guard outside, the bank might as right this one off to the tax payer the building will remain a slum but let’s talk about the LL and bad bank to be media friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Thanks Joeguevara.

You’re both right. The flags on the tee shirts are wrong way round. The ones on the sweatshirt/coat are the opposite way. Which is the right way? Who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

So the security guys were wearing protective masks just like everyone else in the country.

They were wearing standard black clothing like many people.

They were getting a property owner the property back from people staying there illegal

The "tenants" were effectively squatters with no right to stay in the building.

The "tenants" were paying cash to a head tenant who in turn gave it to some dodgy ex landlord.

Interesting that Gerry Ward is trying to backtrack on what he was saying - probably because revenue will take an interest in this

Very surprised the Irish Times fell for this rubbish. Usually it's the Hysterical or Indo.

You’re both right. The flags on the tee shirts are wrong way round. The ones on the sweatshirt/coat are the opposite way. Which is the right way? Who cares!

Are you making a schrodingers cat pun about both being right and both being wrong at the same time?

Are you making a schrodingers cat pun about both being right and both being wrong at the same time?

Yep!

Lads, look, I posted two images from the video of the eviction (see it here https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-eviction-5175006-Aug2020/) that showed that two of the buff ninjas had sewn their tricolours into their shirts that morning the wrong way around. I amd a joke that the lads must have been hired from the Ivory Coast instead of Loyalists from Nortern Ireland like the last infamous eviction.

522969.png
    522970.png

I got pulled up on this joke and told that the video was doctored by mirroring it. So I posted up another screenshot from the same video that showed a poster on a bus and another flag that was the correct way around to show that it was not mirrored.

522973.png
    Amirani wrote: »
    Are you blind? The flag is clearly the correct way round in this image?
    if you zoom in on the flag it is the correct order for an irish flag.

No, I am not blind. Yes, I understand that the flag is the correct way around in second image. That was the point.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    So he’s just from Ivory Coast. What’s the issue

I have no issue with the lads being from the Ivory Coast. But I dont think that is likely. Why are ye so quick to assume that the video is wrong without even having looked at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If i worked as someone who had to evict people, i'd be covering my face too in the knowledge it would be all over facebook in minutes if i didnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Typical clickbait title, poor that the 'national' media took up this non story.

Yep!

Haha, I was like, did she really just say that it doesn't matter which way your wear a flag :D

It seems that the situation is that Mr Ward had assigned the duty of collecting rent to one tenant by way of subletting. Is it a 3-bed property? If individuals units they must be very small to fit 9 people based on the size of the building.

The property doesn't seem to be registered with the RTB and it seems the receiver sold the property several years ago and it was sold again on 8 June 2020. Other people here have said the landlord continues to take rents after the receiver had taken charge of the property. It seems like the "landlord" is a bit of a scumbag who stole the tenant's money and crammed people into a property in poor conditions, the eviction was terrible but people seem to be championing his cause. Is any of the above incorrect? Apologies if so!

Yes, that is a pretty accurate summary. In addition, the tenants were allegedly given their notice incorrectly and that they gardai were to protect the peace and not take part in the eviction.

So, it would appear that if legal eagles notified the gardai of a legal eviction, then all was in order. All this crap about illegal eviction, the gardai must have been satisfied that legal processes were aheared to. As for the end comment, "it is because we are black", I thought that was an old cry, was it not changed to "I cannot breath"!

There seems to be failing in the law here if the tenants were never made aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

teddyhead wrote: »
    Fan of Goldman Sachs ,eh? Your remarks are idiotic.

No, know nothing about them. But reports say they sold it a few months back so they are nothing to do with it.

At the end of the video there is the old chestnut about "it's because we are black". No it is not.

That is the old war cry to claim its racial, and it has been superceeded here.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/video-shows-kid-screaming-i-18562118
    and here
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/video-shows-kid-screaming-i-22324017

Not true of course, but it is the usual, claim it is because we are black. Discrimination, etc etc.

There seems to be failing in the law here if the tenants were never made aware

And what if they were made aware?

And what if they were made aware?
    If the owners of the property were not aware of who the tenants were , and / or had no permission to be there, then how could you notify unknown persons?

IF, and it is a big IF, the proper legal channels were followed, and the gardai were aware of this, then what was done wrong exactly?

If the owners of the property were not aware of who the tenants were , and / or had no permission to be there, then how could you notify unknown persons?

IF, and it is a big IF, the proper legal channels were followed, and the gardai were aware of this, then what was done wrong exactly?

Nothing.

But we really need to wait and see what the real facts are. In similar situations previously, what was the facts and what was initially portrayed were hugely different.

Nothing.

But we really need to wait and see what the real facts are. In similar situations previously, what was the facts and what was initially portrayed were hugely different.
    I have to agree. It may well transpire that this whole thing was legal. Or it may transpire it was completely illegal, but we do have to wait and see.
    I have little tolerance for stupidity and automatically claiming it was illegal, or was racial, or was legal is wrong, but as a discussion board it is of course fine.

Someone accused me of being a Goldman Sachs fan for saying it as I see it. I stand up to be shot for saying what I see. I dont do politically correct. I prefer to say it as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Correct me if I’m wrong but if 8 people were subletting from 1 tenant then those 8 people don’t need to be given notice only the 1 tenant needs to be given notice as they are subletting to those 8 people who aren’t tenants.

The one tenant who sublets is responsible for notifying the 8 people who are called something else under the law which I can’t remember.

Advertisement