Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've been working from home the last few months. And some morning with out any distraction I sort of sleep walk into listening to the show once Morning Ireland is over.

I am finding it very difficult to understand who this show is aimed at. And struggle with the question of who the real Tubs is.

The Tubs on radio is a man full of contradictions. His brand of young old foggey is a bit moot now that he is almost 50.

Every morning we are presented with a man who tries to present himself as a cerebral academic who loves to read. But also with the style and panache of a 50s rat packer.

But fails at both. The books are twee and popular fiction. No intellectual heft to any of the books he talks about. I am not expecting Proust. But we are not even talking Anthony Beevor or Graham Greene.
    A political anarok who only seems interested in populist American politics.

I do remember a time when he was trying to pass himself off as some sort of classical scholar. But that seems to of disappeared.

I don't remember any of the Ratpack talking about kindness or respect. I am sure Sammy Davis Jr might like to fill Tubs in on a few things.

Everything else we are left with is affectations.

His phrasing is odd. More Enid Blyton then Roddy Doyle. It's like someone trying to sound like a 40s toff.

The obsession with school and school days is just weird. A 50 year old man talking about how a sunny day is like a free class. It just all sounds wrong.

I find it hard to believe any 50 year old would talk like that to their friends and cohort like that.

Is it all a front? Or is he deluded?

Also who is this show aimed at? About half of it is taken up with the papers. And we are not talking the FT and The Economist.

And the other half is some mammy calling in to tell everyone about some prize her son won. In a sketchy online monthly film festival, you pay to enter.

I can't figure it out. Does he think he is Max from the movie Rushmore?

Great post btw. I'd thank it twice if I could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I've been working from home the last few months. And some morning with out any distraction I sort of sleep walk into listening to the show once Morning Ireland is over.

I am finding it very difficult to understand who this show is aimed at. And struggle with the question of who the real Tubs is.

The Tubs on radio is a man full of contradictions. His brand of young old foggey is a bit moot now that he is almost 50.

Every morning we are presented with a man who tries to present himself as a cerebral academic who loves to read. But also with the style and panache of a 50s rat packer.

But fails at both. The books are twee and popular fiction. No intellectual heft to any of the books he talks about. I am not expecting Proust. But we are not even talking Anthony Beevor or Graham Greene.

I do remember a time when he was trying to pass himself off as some sort of classical scholar. But that seems to of disappeared.

I don't remember any of the Ratpack talking about kindness or respect. I am sure Sammy Davis Jr might like to fill Tubs in on a few things.

His phrasing is odd. More Enid Blyton then Roddy Doyle. It's like someone trying to sound like a 40s toff.

The obsession with school and school days is just weird. A 50 year old man talking about how a sunny day is like a free class. It just all sounds wrong.

I find it hard to believe any 50 year old would talk like that to their friends and cohort like that.

Also who is this show aimed at? About half of it is taken up with the papers. And we are not talking the FT and The Economist.

And the other half is some mammy calling in to tell everyone about some prize her son won. In a sketchy online monthly film festival, you pay to enter.

I have it on good authority he's MK-Ultra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

so true it hurts

kamala harris name pronunciation was the big news this morning, was it kam-ala or kamala or ka ....he only had 2 options!

***** Five Star Post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

so true it hurts

kamala harris name pronunciation was the big news this morning, was it kam-ala or kamala or ka ....he only had 2 options!

I mean I just don't get it.
    With a public broadcaster you have to have something for everyone. So we have Ronan Collins for retirees, The Duffster for the perpetually outraged, Areana for the arts. D:Arcy is your light weight magazine show. Hair dresser radio

But who is Tubs aimed at. A light hearted buffer between Morning Ireland and Sarah McInerney. Not with all the misery he trys to get in. Who is the show targeted at. Yummy mummies on the way home from the school run?

It's definitely not aimed working from home weekend warriors wanting to feel supierior by posting on the internet.

I just don't get it.

If I were creating an adult cartoon comic Tubridy would be such an apt character for it. In fact I could make money out of it if I had the dedication and a business head to get subscribers. Simply cartoonise his daily ramblings with a few visuals, dressed along the lines of Noddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Not going to quote Bellbottoms excellent post yet again - But to add to the Newspaper observation, Tubridy frequently champions the Irish Tabloids saying they're underrated in their worthy role of bringing us good honest news type of sentiment.

Personally I refuse to look at any of them since the day I saw a frontpage headline along the lines of "Dad mows down kid in shock horror", basically a tradesman was reversing his van into their driveway after a days work and an unspeakable tragedy occured. It was disgusting how they basically sensationalized this terrible event to sell newspapers - Vile filth.

I think his endorsement of the tabloids is another thinly veneered ploy to make him more popular with and palatable to the "common man" he sees about the place and knows he needs to win over somehow - It certainly doesn't fit in with his velvet smoking jacket, leather slippers and cravat image.

- He also does this when there's a major sporting event at the weekend and someone hands him a 3 line paragraph on a Monday morning so he can talk about how <insert team here> played a <insert sport here> match and how he was at the edge of his seat cheering throughout......

And re the books, certainly yes, he's the type that needs to tell you he's constantly buying books and voraciously consuming them to feed his intellectual appetites......but they're all supermarket mass-output drivel and typically sh1te books.

With a public broadcaster you have to have something for everyone. So we have Ronan Collins for retirees, The Duffster for the perpetually outraged, Areana for the arts. D:Arcy is your light weight magazine show. Hair dresser radio

But who is Tubs aimed at. A light hearted buffer between Morning Ireland and Sarah McInerney. Not with all the misery he trys to get in. Who is the show targeted at. Yummy mummies on the way home from the school run?

It's definitely not aimed working from home weekend warriors wanting to feel supierior by posting on the internet.

I just don't get it.

I don't get it either. I think they have simply let him indulge himself as he is not prepared to put in the yards of research preparation to make a show that might have direction. Notably he is fully prepared to put in practice when it comes to making a performance for the toy show or doing a duet on the LLS C&W special. Once he fecks off out of the studio he is finished work as far as he is concerned, and the current meanderings in his head suffice to fill a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

He reminds me of “Lord Snooty” from the “ Beano” comic! Only friends he had were bought!

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Not going to quote Bellbottoms excellent post yet again - But to add to the Newspaper observation, Tubridy frequently champions the Irish Tabloids saying they're underrated in their worthy role of bringing us good honest news type of sentiment.

Personally I refuse to look at any of them since the day I saw a frontpage headline along the lines of "Dad mows down kid in shock horror", basically a tradesman was reversing his van into their driveway after a days work and an unspeakable tragedy occured. It was disgusting how they basically sensationalized this terrible event to sell newspapers - Vile filth.

I think his endorsement of the tabloids is another thinly veneered ploy to make him more popular with and palatable to the "common man" he sees about the place and knows he needs to win over somehow - It certainly doesn't fit in with his velvet smoking jacket, leather slippers and cravat image.

- He also does this when there's a major sporting event at the weekend and someone hands him a 3 line paragraph so he can talk about how <insert team here> played a <insert sport here> match and how he was at the edge of his seat cheering throughout......

By appealing to the tabloid-reading working-class he hopes to gain their ear, then get them on board to appreciate the value of a good education and digesting books at their own reading level. If Tubs' direction here is heeded we will have a populace filled with middle-class ambition. That's probably in his mission statement, but it comes across like a comical display of awkwardness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

...I am finding it very difficult to understand who this show is aimed at. And struggle with the question of who the real Tubs is.
    ..The Tubs on radio is a man full of contradictions.

Nail on the head there Bellbottoms.

The hypocrisy reared its head this week when he had a go at man bags - "they're not for me...too feminine". A slight homophobic undertone to it, which I've noticed before.

Contrast this with him jumping on the gender bandwagon whenever it occurs to him to do so. For example, He has been banging on about men's book clubs this week.

And when he interviewed that female army officer yesterday he assumed she would take the feminist angle so he started prompting her to call for the army to recruit more women. She shut him down (fair play to her!).

The PC stuff is a front. He's looking for a pat on the back. When the mask slips, you see a much more conservative, prudish Tubridy.

He's also childishly anti-British at times. And it's been mentioned before how his derogatory comments on people's appearances are seriously at odds with his ramblings about kindness.

A walking contradiction alright. He doesn't come across as authentic and that's very off-putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He's just trying to be populist. Appeal to everyone. Whichever way the wind is blowing.

Going for Tubridy:
    He has smooth slick delivery.

Against Tubridy:
    He comes across as sanctimonious and fake and doesn't put in the yards of preparation.

Going for Tubridy:
    He has smooth slick delivery.

Against Tubridy:
    He comes across as sanctimonious and fake and doesn't put in the yards of preparation.

... but its getting worse as he seems to be chocking on his spittle more and more often.

Did anyone catch Ryan this morning having a little stab at folk who call him "Bryan" as in "Bryan, I love your show".

Worth listening back if you didn't catch it. He spoke of a singer who has a song about the mispronunciation of her name, and used this opportunity to remind us of his correct name.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Where has the Kindness gone?
    This thread really has degenerated into something utterly pathetic and lock-worthy.
    Especially the likes of post #4599.
    Lets just be kind and lock it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

He. does. the. halting. pause thing when speaking too often for me to ever say he was slick. I remember a guy on Off the Ball (when that was listenable) used to do it too. Amateurish if you ask me.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    This thread really has degenerated into something utterly pathetic and lock-worthy.

Could we organize an oline zoom men-only buke club? We could read "Patrick and the President" and then, for a bit of balance, have a kitchen concert with The Prodigy's Fat Of The Land album? And afterwards, maybe some plain cake and a cup oif tea while we show our kindess by laughing at any baldies who joined in the zoom call and slagging Trump.

Just a thought...............

Did anyone catch Ryan this morning having a little stab at folk who call him "Bryan" as in "Bryan, I love your show".

Worth listening back if you didn't catch it. He spoke of a singer who has a song about the mispronunciation of her name, and used this opportunity to remind us of his correct name.

I think it's very disrespectful and unkind when people who clearly know his name is Ryan call him Bryan. I would never do that.

giphy.gif

I did make dat gif meself btw!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I just don't get it.
    Hardcore Late Late Show fans, whatever sad creatures they are? I tuned into him for two seconds today by accident and he was namedropping some singer going "Maybe somebody we might get her on the Late Late some time? Hmmm? Hmm would ye like that? Ohh yeahhh" like it was this huge deal. It gave me the heebiejeebs; what kind of persuasion does he think that has and how has he abused that "status"?

Not only does he make my skin crawl with his general demeanour and falseness, now he has some sort of superiority complex that I have to go on knowing about, so that I can't stand him for even one moment.

I feel lucky I can completely avoid him because he turns my stomach.

It may seem harsh but he's the physical embodiment of being promoted beyond your intellect, talent or interestingness. He's thoroughly unlikeable and panders only to the mainstream to an actually troubling extent. Watch him interviewing any visionaries or people with genuine talent and character and see the inferiority he feels bubble to the surface. That's when the little snippets of malice shine through the most. His spirit animal is a weasel.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

s1ippy wrote: »
    Hardcore Late Late Show fans, whatever sad creatures they are? I tuned into him for two seconds today by accident and he was namedropping some singer going "Maybe somebody we might get her on the Late Late some time? Hmmm? Hmm would ye like that? Ohh yeahhh" like it was this huge deal. It gave me the heebiejeebs; what kind of persuasion does he think that has and how has he abused that "status"?

Not only does he make my skin crawl with his general demeanour and falseness, now he has some sort of superiority complex that I have to go on knowing about, so that I can't stand him for even one moment.

It may seem harsh but he's the physical embodiment of being promoted beyond your intellect, talent or interestingness. He's thoroughly unlikeable and panders only to the mainstream to an actually troubling extent. Watch him interviewing any visionaries or people with genuine talent and character and see the inferiority he feels bubble to the surface. That's when the little snippets of malice shine through the most. His spirit animal is a weasel.

So true. I can't help but feel that he is Ireland's Ellen DeGeneres. Preaching kindness to all that will listen but always having an undertone of someone nasty behind it.

s1ippy wrote: »

All true, and yet compared to Mr. Duffy he's like David Frost.

So true. I can't help but feel that he is Ireland's Ellen DeGeneres. Preaching kindness to all that will listen but always having an undertone of someone nasty behind it.

Funny you should say that.
    But I do remember his Saturday night show. Would ... Hmm borrowing segments, games and competitions from the Ellen show.

This was long before the show was being aired in Ireland.

All true, and yet compared to Mr. Duffy he's like David Frost.

To be air to Mr Duffy. He is no fool. He knows what his listeners wants and give it to them.

I just don't get what listeners to Tubs show want. Unless it's being talked down to, a streak of poorly hidden nastyness and pesudo intellectualism.

No caller, most posting on this here thread is illustrative and reasoned and fairly free from inter-personal bashing :)

• Advertisement

You have issues with my post?
    Not the ones, that reference his appearance or call him a chid.

But my one where I ask some questions about his on air persona and ask who the show is aimed at?

This is a forum where we discus radio. I am not calling him names, or making fun about his looks. I legitimately want to know who the show is trying to appeal to?

The show is just a weird outlier in the morning schedule. It is a one hour magazine show. Half of the air time is taken up with a light weight look at the papers. The second half is maybe a guest or a caller.

The papers segment covers a lot of the same ground as Jennifer Zamperelli on 2FM .And as a magazine show its just to short to cover anything substantial. It would make more sense to extend the show or give the extra hour to D'Arcy in the evening.

I am genuinely perplexed as to who it is supposed to be aimed at. And what role it is supposed to fill in the schedule. It is not a good show, I am sorry if you like it. But it is not.

What in my earlier post, makes you think the thread should be locked. Do you not see my criticisms as valid? Do you think I am being unfair towards the show?

No caller, most posting on this here thread is illustrative and reasoned and fairly free from inter-personal bashing :)

Reasoned and free from Inter-personal bashing??? Hmmmmm Check out post #3393.

Some posts seem to be okay when directed at certain presenters. But one or two clowns with silly posts gets the shop locked up in regards to other rte crew???
    The Ryan line is not open so to speak!

What in my earlier post, makes you think the thread should be locked. Do you not see my criticisms as valid? Do you think I am being unfair towards the show?

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Sorry Poster. I was being sarcastic and being a dick to mods.
    I shouldnt have mentioned your post.
    I agree with everything you said btw.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Sorry Poster. I was being sarcastic and being a dick to mods.
    I shouldnt have mentioned your post.
    I agree with everything you said btw.

Sorry I misunderstood.

I am a bit late to the party here.
    But I have a question.

When Tubs went on holiday. RTE went an approached Oliver Callan. Laid down the dates and asked him to cover on the show. He knows how it works. One hour a day, Monday to Friday. Within that one hour he can do what he wants. "Sure", says Oliver.

While he was covering we had a bank holiday. If Tubs is on and it's a bank holiday. They get in a guest presenter. Sure I get that. He might want to go away with his kids what ever fair enough.

But when Callan was in we had the August bank holiday and instead of Oliver we get Marry Morrissey.

Why? We basically have a guest presenter on to cover for another guest presenter. Where is the logic in that.

If I am wrong in saying this please correct me. But dosent having MM in mean that RTE are basically paying out three times for one hour of radio. Once for RT bank holiday entitlement, once for OC bank holiday entitlement and then for MM.

I appreciate that the first two are contractors. But how exactly does it work. No wonder they are hemmoraginy money

• Advertisement

I still remember the time he covered for Wogan during the riots and thought he was clever starting the show with “the revolution will be televised “ and got a complete bollicking off the bbc :)

that was funny alright. Was that the end of his nixers in the BBC? I think it was.

As regards the point of the show, it doesn't have one.

That said, he's increasingly trying to present himself as 'Mammy of the Nation' i.e. someone who plays a vital role in fostering national solidarity and keeping all of our worries at bay.

This involves an exhausting stream of patronizing Covid jargon. Every single day without fail. Stuff like, "steady as she goes and let's hurtle through it and don't be mean to front line workers and be one of the good guys because we like that around here".

There's similar moralising about shopping local, reading books and the dangers of technology (the latter with very little consideration for counter arguments).

Mammy of the Nation is his dream role because it involves no work. It's just a case of swanning up to Montrose for an hour, rambling through his ill-thought-out moral lessons and dishing out a weird brand of nostalgia.

Then off he goes on the Vespa to spend the rest of the day eating scones and reading books.

I actually don’t mind him anymore, I was very offended along with Ian Dempsey :) how he was catapulted to the top and the I’m taking over this town attitude and had nothing to back it up back in the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A nice book I picked up in killKenny which may interest the manchild, full of insights a great read by a cosy fire of a summers evening

Is it just my imagination, or has he become more ever sanctimonious as the years have gone by? I remember thinking years ago that he was not my cup of tea because he was a little too lightweight, more than anything, but in more recent times he has got up my wick more on account of his instructional voice. I don't recall him being quite like that in earlier years, but maybe I've forgotten. To me it seems like he had become embittered with time,

Kindness
    LLS
    Books

all within the 1st 4 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

An absolute waterfall of words.

A poster here recently pointed out to Ryan's
    salivation. It's quite apparent this morning. Can't recall that being the case years back. There are various medical/dental causes, but might not be something he can do anything about.

Homemade cakes......bingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

History and cakes, Kinsale here we come!

sligojoek wrote: »
    An absolute waterfall of words VERBAL DIARRHOEA.

FYP

Is it just me, but I reckon I hear some sort of swallowing sound come from Ryan when he’s half way through a lengthy “speech” about something - almost like he’s swallowing a bit of dunked biscuit with too little tea to wash it down? C’mon, you know what I mean! A bit like Jean Byrne?

I am probably wrong, but now that I have it in my head, it’s the only thing I listen for! Apologies to Ryan for bringing this up but it’s beginning to become the focus of my occasional listening to the programme.

‘Twas me. September last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Gorgeous letters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Interview with a Librarian from Offaly retiring tomorrow !!!!

When he's not talking about books, he is chatting to a librarian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

NIMAN wrote: »
    When he's not talking about books, he is chatting to a librarian.

A Part Time librarian too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Possibly the most disinterested any interviewer has been with an interviewee in history which is suprising as this topic is related to books and not sport.

I wonder what he is going to give her as a thank you from us all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Possibly the most disinterested any interviewer has been with an interviewee in history which is suprising as this topic is related to books and not sport.

His books gimmick is simply a gimmick.

I’ve often heard him drone on about books and you can tell the maximum reading he’s done is to read the blurb at the back

The purpose for All the book talk is to fill time with minimal effort.

Also it burnishes his credentials as a “wholesome cultured” presenter following in the footsteps of dear aul uncle gaybo.

But yeah, it’s a fraud and typical of tubridy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement